• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Commodore 64 game?

fog

See avatar.

Possibly my favourite games machine ever. So many great titles.

I can relate to that. I guess back then to be able to create something wasn't exactly common. I remember spending hours in Mr. Robot's create-a-level mode. I didn't like the actual game that much, but had fun designing my own "kill rooms".
Looking at your avatar I see you were one of the rich kids :)

EDIT: No way Castef :)

Shane

What a thread...what a thread.

What was that spaceship mining one? My neighbour had it and adored it.

Oh, and skateboarding with killer bees (not the hip-hop kind). 1080 skateboarding, maybe.

Shane

720. Which featured a yell of SKATE OR DIE before the *actual* Skate or Die.

That's the one. Did it ever end or have a point? I don't recall it having one. It was just skate...or die, as the title suggests.

Edit: And either the mobile view is lying to me or I've moved on from being a junior. A good thread for that transition.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I seem to remember getting a lot of playtime and joy out of

Pirates
Elite (? maybe just played this on Amiga)
Pool of Radiance
California Games
Bruce Lee
Bards Tale II
Pitstop II

UberTag

Temple of Apshai.
I was always partial to Gateway to Apshai. This game was like Diablo before there was such a thing as Diablo.
Randomized dungeons. Treasure to find. Nastier enemies as you go. Loved this game to pieces.

These dudes were easy...

Gateway_To_Apshai_Screenshot.png

Mamba snakes? Not so much.

Here's a vid if anyone's feeling nostalgiac.

Jakabok

Clumsy Colin Action Biker!

Action_Biker_Coverart.png

Action_biker_%28c64_version%29.jpg

Didn't really have a clue what I was doing but loved riding me bike along the rollercoaster!

Jeff-DSA

Raid Over Moscow
Desert Fox
Winter Games
Summer Games
Skate or Die
Impossible Mission
Racing Destruction Set
World Games
The Bards Tale 3
Beach Head and Beach Head 2
Law of the West
Ghostbusters
Ace of Aces

Sooo much awesome in this thread. And crap - that transformers game was superbad but I still played the shit out of it.

Personal highlights for me were ultima 4, times of lore, the SSI Buck Rogers game, giana sisters, myth, tusker, mutants, Hunter's moon, parallax, wizball, dropzone, manic miner, the Monty games, uridium, armalyte, tau ceti, psi 5 trading co., elite, gunship...

Not to mention all the various text adventures like hitchhikers guide, the level 9 games, imagination, mindshadow, etc. I could go on for days.

And really it would awfully remiss not to mention Project Firestart.

I don't write often but for me, Project Firestart blew my 11 years old mind when it came out.

Internet high fives and kebabs! I was a little older but not much, loved that game so much even beat it for the proper ending eventually. So good and so many modern games fail to even come close to the way it combined player freedom and a structured narrative.

I didn't notice this being mentioned yet.

Pool_of_Radiance_Coverart.png

With the decoding wheel of course, for security purposes.

Pool+of+Radiance+Code+Wheel.jpg

I mentioned it. It's my absolute favorite c64 game.

Skyfox was another cool game too. I remember taking vehicles out on the ground, and then climbing to do air battle .

Kind of reminds my of Warhawk.

How did I miss this thread? :)

I've got a Gamebase 64 favorites list of almost 500 games that I remember playing back in the day, so there's really a lot of titles I love and play to this day. One thing worth mentioning is that I'm more fond of the later titles than some of the earlier ones, but then again, I also cheated heavily back in the day, so I suck.

I'm also a sucker for multi-genre games, like Beach Head or The Neverending Story II. They felt like more bang for the buck, like they offered different experiences in one nice package and made my imagination run wild at the possibilities that weren't actually there. Multi-event sports games or movie tie-ins usually fit this category, the cinematic / filmic experience, eh? Guess I'm part of the problem. :)

It's pretty damn hard to make a small list, but here's five games I like to revisit often:

- Platoon
Platooningame1.gif
Platoontunnels.gif

- Barbarian
tumblr_n1vxv3z2CT1s1eb5jo1_r1_400.gif

- Fist+
sk7ZwsX.gif

- Soldier of Fortune
4Clsbsd.png

- IO
IO_Levels.gif

There are also a lot of great arcade ports, but in some of the cases, the originals are often better (except the music of course).

jay

This thread reminded me of great C64 music, like the stuff from Rambo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmC2nsPiMz4

Man, I loved Skate or Die (hardest of the hardcore intros) and Hacker.

Zork was kick ass too. Even the Transformers game with the insane loading times.

Impossible Mission
's speech synthesis knocked me and my compatriots off our collective chairs. Who knew such technological wonders were possible?

I couldn't believe someone remembered Transformers fondly, but then remembered there were multiple Transformers games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vVSixDfCU

xemumanic

Raid Over Moscow
Super Cycle
Bruce Lee
Way of the Fist
Mr. Do's Castle

Those were my top 5.

Maybe some of you can help me to find a game my brother had on C64 ages back........ A top down shooter, 'Ride of the Valkyries' played in the background.

EDIT: Never mind, after years of searching, I finally found it............Black Hawk!

This thread reminded me of great C64 music, like the stuff from Rambo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmC2nsPiMz4

Btw, the ingame theme is based on an italo-disco cover of First Patrol from Rambo II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNheFJGb_lU

Been thinking about this and the works of Jon Ritman and Bernie Drummond sprang to mind.
ritman_drummond.jpg

Batman and Head Over Heals were brilliant for me. A Head Over Heals video for the people who don't know. :)

A wonderful, 150 minute documentary came out recently called From Bedrooms to Billions and covers the video game development hostory in UK from its earliest beginnings to this day. Haven't seen it yet but there are bits and pieces on YouTube from some of the interviews and extras. Here's one with Jon Ritman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnhdbICwcEc

Man, this is blowing my mind. What a nostalgia trip seeing screens from favourites like Raid over Moscow, Saboteur, Castles of Dr Creep, Last Ninja and so forth.

Maybe I'm just pitching my own childhood here, but I really loved some C64 ports of games that were maybe better known elsewhere, like Mario Bros and Kung Fu Master (Kung Fu on the NES.) I had Mario Bros on tape deck and I remember loving the mozart music that played on the title screen. My buddy and I would kill each other for hours in that game. Kinda lame when other kids were playing SUPER Mario Bros, but I really did think the C64 port of Mario Bros was better than other versions of it that I played.

Some screens of other games I liked:

nDPAzno.png

Cauldron

ZKoQL.gif

Super Pipeline II

Feeling very nostalgic seeing all these games.

Loved Maniac Mansion and Zak Mckraken. And watching
my brother play the Last Ninja games.

Fasty

Too many to mention, but definitely Wizball.

Can't stop thinking about how awesome a Vita version with the ability to control the cat via touch screen would be!

mclem

That's the one. Did it ever end or have a point? I don't recall it having one. It was just skate...or die, as the title suggests.

Edit: And either the mobile view is lying to me or I've moved on from being a junior. A good thread for that transition.

IIRC: There's the town square hub leading to four skate areas which were the active levels - I recall one was a downhill course, not sure of the rest. You wanted to complete each of those. But if you hung around the hub too long, the bees came out.

Deraj

Mercenary
Neuromancer
Last Ninja series
Project Firestart
Fist II
Raid Over Moscow
HitchHikers GTTG
Raid on Bungeling Bay
Borrowed Time
Bubble Bobble
Bruce Lee
Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders
Sentinel

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Paradroid all the way

The Sentinel a very very very close second.

But Paradroid was just incredible and, no, Quazatron isn't better.

Dicer

Banned
A few I didn't see mentioned

Legacy of the Ancients
Mail Order Monsters
Archon
Dragon Wars
and of course
WASTELAND

ukpanik

Banned
Elite
Impossible Mission
Bruce Lee
Fairlight
All Level 9 text adventures.
Tir Na Nog
Wizardry
Shadowfire
Sherlock
The Lords of Midnight
Castle of Terror
The Last Ninja
Alien

Too many to mention, but my top 3 off the top of my head:

Pool of Radiance
David's Midnight Magic
Maniac Mansion

Plus all the Zork's, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, A Mind Forever Voyaging....played sooo many text adventures on mine (and spent time making my own....)

Dizzy-4U

Master of the Lamps probably. I was 5/6 years old and the "3D" blew my mind. Never seen anything like it before.

Bozo's Night Out was the first videogame I remember playing. Not a very good one but I'm very fond of it nonetheless.

Most of the good games are STILL good games today, and not because of the nostalgia factor. Simply good gameplay and design.

Squish 'em - Possibly my favorite game and the one I was ACE at. Far subtler gameplay than what it seems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaN0vyguor8

Bruce Lee - One of the very best. Immensely fun just to mess around with two players in the first two screens. Me and my cousin playing just THAT for hours. It took us a while even to figure out that a secret passage would open. The rest of the (rather big) game was entirely optional.

Who Dares Wins - A Commando clone, but still rather good. My shooting game of choice.

Ghost'n Goblins - For obvious reasons, though I was a kid and rarely even made up to the second map.

Zaxxon - Another true classic, my first shooter. Incredibly hard because you had to figure out isometric and controls and the subtle height guesswork.

Boulder Dash - Another super classic. One of my friend would ONLY play this game. Just this one, forever.

Shamus Case II - One of my most played game. Again I didn't go very far, but so immensely playable and so fast.

Raid on Bungeling Bay - Super classic. Awesome gameplay. I'd play for hours with friends or not, without again any clue about the actual game's goal.

Falcon Patrol - Arcade airplane, very good and challenging game, the most dangerous thing was refueling.

Suicide Strike - One of the very best shooters along with the others I listed. Very good gameplay and simple.

Forbidden Forest - Super classic. Try to play this as a kid, it was super-frightening. Awesome sound.

Dig Dug - Do I need to explain?

ChipWits - My first "programming" game. Insanely complex for a kid, in fact I never really manage to achieve much, but it conditioned me deeply and still today I'm fascinated by that kind of complexity.

Omega - another programming game where you'd code a tank AI. Lots of disk swap and way too complex for me. The manual was HUGE. Actually more than one. There was a whole programming language created for this, and you'd have to build the tank, buy components and challenge other AIs. Even making past the welcome screen, formatting the "save" disk and everything took me a day. Just absurdly complex. I think even Garriott had his hands in this.

Gauntlet - A classic. Playing with 2 players it was basically god mode since you could resurrect as long one player was alive. Though I think I got only close to level 100. Without being able to save getting far would take forever.

Gumshoe - Lesser know title that was AWESOME. You had this big level with elevators and doors and you'd go around in non-linear ways, with always a great tension. Very sleek design.

Cæsar the Cat - Simple game, endlessly playable. Way too charming.

Orc Attack - Another super favorite of mine. Lesser known and simple, but exhilarating gameplay (especially the bodycount at the end).

Sword of Fargoal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIuMUIzxrLs My first roguelike. I played this for so many hours, but without really going far into it.

Mancopter - FLAPPY BIRD precursor. But actually great game, really. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaARqv1Ol0

Star League Baseball - Simple and very fun. Way too many hours spent on this, even if I barely grasped the game. I'd just lose horribly.

Pitstop I & II - The driving games. Though my favorite was another I can't find now.

Super Cycle - Like Pitstop, but with motorcycles.

Quake Minus One - The game I'd play without ANY CLUE about what was happening or what to do. Absolutely nothing.

Terror of the Deep - As above, just WTF?!

Sky Travel - A planetarium. Absurdly rich.

The Duel - http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=3926 I don't even remember if it had single player, but I absolutely loved to play this with a friend. Though I was too good and only one of my friend could actually challenge me.

ACE: Air Combat Emulator - My first flight sim! It was kind of crappy and you had to play with someone else controlling the cursor if you were hoping hitting something.

Ghostbusters - But I never even manage to capture one ghost or even figure out the game structure. I'd just use a cheat to have some money and build a good car, and the play the car section.

Impossible Mission - Another game you could play for hours without a clue about what you are supposed to do. Levels were randomized too so I'd play with a friend and just take turns at solving a room.

Alien Syndrome - A precursor to Amiga's Alien Breed.

Activision's Decathlon - Destroyed many joysticks.

Microprose Soccer - Because way too many hours playing the World Cup.

Bop'n Rumble - I didn't have Golden Axe or Double Dragon, so this was my brawler. Nice having every level change the moveset.

Gyruss - Classic great shooter. Though it can get monotonous.

Legend of Kage - another less known game with fun gameplay that I'd sink hours just sitting in the first screen and survive as long as possible instead of actually progressing. Really fun ninja game with crazy jumps that were more like flying between super huge trees.

Frogger II: Best Frogger? You could reach the sky, and there were dragons.

Silicon Warrior - Simple and addicting.

Silk Worm - Classic, very hard.

Little Computer People - Took forever to load. The Sims precursor and so charming and addicting despite being so boring. You always felt like it had so much hidden, but at the end interaction was fairly limited.

But I actually had the C64 long before the good game came out, so a lot of games are obscure and you can't find them even on the lists on the internet. I played obscure text adventures, or the likes of Aztec Tomb Adventure http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=519 There was at some point a complete playthrough on Youtube, but it's sadly gone.

A few of games that I always wanted but I wasn't able to buy: Wasteland, Deathlord, Bard's Tale, Neuromancer, Ultima, Halls of Montezuma, Elvira, Times of Lore.

down 2 orth

Hey I remember this game! It was friggen awesome!

I had hundreds of games, but most of them never worked. Maybe my uncle pirated them and that was the reason? Not sure.

Of the games I do remember loving are:

Platoon

GI Joe

Where in the World is Carmen Santiago

This game where you walk around in New York's Central Park

The Movie Monster Game - probably my favorite, and im glad to see someone else here choosing it as well

Karate Ka

Winter Games

BubbaMc

Commando, Ninja Spirit, Ghostbusters, Scramble, Raid over Moscow, Bruce Lee, Green Beret...

There's too many to name.

Top Bottom