• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Commodore 64 game?

shanafan

That is an Amiga screenshot :p

xuEpX96.gif

This is the C64 version ;)

Shane

Anyone used a Framemeister XRGB-Mini with a C64?

I've read there was a firmware update that allowed PAL 50hz input.

If so, this would be another reason to consider one. Would allow me to dust off the C64, Master System, Megadrive and SNES.

Venture

There are so many C64 games that I love but it's very easy to pick a favorite.
Wasteland_Coverart.png

Wasteland was the first game I completely obsessed over and got emotionally involved with. I loved everything about this game down to the packaging.
wasteland-inside.jpg

Even the copy protection with the little paragraphs you had to look up was kind of fun.

DodgerSan

I'm going to put the Jeff Minter C64 library as a combined #1. They didn't all hit the mark, but were endlessly imaginative and just plain fun. I've never hesitated to buy a Llamasoft game for a system I own, and I've never felt cheated.

Outside of that, Braybrook's original stuff: Gribbly's Day Out, Paradroid and Uridium.

jett

D-Member
Man, this is blowing my mind. What a nostalgia trip seeing screens from favourites like Raid over Moscow, Saboteur, Castles of Dr Creep, Last Ninja and so forth.

Maybe I'm just pitching my own childhood here, but I really loved some C64 ports of games that were maybe better known elsewhere, like Mario Bros and Kung Fu Master (Kung Fu on the NES.) I had Mario Bros on tape deck and I remember loving the mozart music that played on the title screen. My buddy and I would kill each other for hours in that game. Kinda lame when other kids were playing SUPER Mario Bros, but I really did think the C64 port of Mario Bros was better than other versions of it that I played.

Some screens of other games I liked:

nDPAzno.png

Cauldron

ZKoQL.gif

Super Pipeline II

You remind me, I forgot Cauldron II, also one of my favorite C64 games out there.

Cauldron_II.png

A neat platformer that I think might have actually aged just fine for today's standards. It had some semblance of physics, with your bounces changing depending on the angle and strength of your jumps. Another super cryptic game though, part of my long-ass list of C64 games I never completed. :p

Super Pipeline II was cool too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I still have my C64 and it still works to this day, noisy 1541 drive and all!

I really can't pick one single game as my ultimate favorite, but if I had to I would base it on play time alone. In that case my pick would be Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter

256px-F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg

I played the ever loving shit out of this game, it was so much fun sneaking in over enemy lines trying to remain undetected, hit your target, and then fly out in one piece. Simulator crossed with stealth game, it was so much damned fun. I don't think there is even a modern equivalent to it, none that I've ever played anyway.

Since I can't pick just one, other honorable mentions:

Elite!
Gunship!
F-15 Fighter
Airborne Ranger
Red Storm Rising
Impossible Mission
Raid on Bungling Bay
Karateka
Last Ninja 1 & 2
Montezuma's Revenge
Gauntlet
Stunt Racer
The Bard's Tale I, II, & III
All of the AD&D Gold Box games
Lode Runner
Law of the West
Pirates!
Skate or Die
Bubble Bobble
H.E.R.O.
Prince of Persia
Miner 2049er
Jumpman Jr.
Barbarian
Echelon
Ultima
Legacy of the Ancients
Ghostbusters
Space Ranger
Battletech
Starflight

Man, and that's just off the top of my head. If I went through my 5-1/4" floppy containers at home I'd find a lot , lot more.

Silent D

Neo Member
Looking at your avatar I see you were one of the rich kids :)
Well, Commodore 1541-II did feel improvement over the Datasette.

btw.. if you love the C64.. then this book might be for you

http://www.funstock.co.uk/commodore-64-a-visual-commpendium-c64-book

it is a really well made book that got kickstarted. The guy behind it is making a Amiga one as we speak (it got funded in no time)...
And one of the pledges in the Amiga Kickstarter is to get both the Amiga AND the C64 book.

Let's add a few. I didn't see Trap Door mentioned yet.
trapdoor_02.gif

And as a Finn, although already listed in this thread I have to mention Raid Over Moscow. It became really popular because someone made a parliamentary question about it.

Mengy

I was always partial to Gateway to Apshai. This game was like Diablo before there was such a thing as Diablo.
Randomized dungeons. Treasure to find. Nastier enemies as you go. Loved this game to pieces.

These dudes were easy...

Gateway_To_Apshai_Screenshot.png

Mamba snakes? Not so much.

Here's a vid if anyone's feeling nostalgiac.

Oh hell yeah, I played this game a ton, had forgotten all about it. There was another game called Gemstone Warrior that I played a lot too.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How could I forget Spy vs Spy! Every post in this thread has another gem I forgot about.

High five for Enigma Force. Can't believe someone else actually remembers that game.

Frankly, I had no idea what was going on, but the Red Dude and the Gun Blob were the shit, good sir. The shit.

Enigma_Force_1.gif

Gazunta

I wish there was a Chrome hack that filtered out every GAF thread that wasn't a C64 love thread.

ANYWAY

WIZBALL!!!

wizball1.png

tshshshshshshshsh

Santar

I wish there was a Chrome hack that filtered out every GAF thread that wasn't a C64 love thread.

ANYWAY

WIZBALL!!!

wizball1.png

tshshshshshshshsh

Ahh yes, good 'ol Wizball.
I remember struggling an awful lot with the controls until I got that direct control powerup :D Never got very far in the game as I never owned it.

Totalriot

I like this thread! It is funny, I only need to look at one of the many screenshots and immediately the music of the game pops into my head. So many good memories!

On topic I would say Last Ninja, Pirates!, Giana Sisters, the Gold Box SSI AD&D RPGs (Best ones here: Pool, Curse and the first one set in the Dragonlance universe, forgot the name)

I still have my C64 and it still works to this day, noisy 1541 drive and all!

I really can't pick one single game as my ultimate favorite, but if I had to I would base it on play time alone. In that case my pick would be Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter

256px-F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg

I played the ever loving shit out of this game, it was so much fun sneaking in over enemy lines trying to remain undetected, hit your target, and then fly out in one piece. Simulator crossed with stealth game, it was so much damned fun. I don't think there is even a modern equivalent to it, none that I've ever played anyway.

Since I can't pick just one, other honorable mentions:

Elite!
Gunship!
F-15 Fighter
Airborne Ranger
Red Storm Rising
Impossible Mission
Raid on Bungling Bay
Karateka
Last Ninja 1 & 2
Montezuma's Revenge
Gauntlet
Stunt Racer
The Bard's Tale I, II, & III
All of the AD&D Gold Box games
Lode Runner
Law of the West
Pirates!
Skate or Die
Bubble Bobble
H.E.R.O.
Prince of Persia
Miner 2049er
Jumpman Jr.
Barbarian
Echelon
Ultima
Legacy of the Ancients
Ghostbusters
Space Ranger
Battletech
Starflight

Man, and that's just off the top of my head. If I went through my 5-1/4" floppy containers at home I'd find a lot , lot more.

I also love Stealth Fighter. I've already mentioned it in this thread, but I've gotta do some correcting.

F19 Stealth Fighter never appeared on the C64. F19 is basically a remake of Project: Stealth Fighter for 16 bit machines, thus your box art showing the Amiga version.

The C64 Project: Stealth Fighter was released before the actual Stealth Fighter aircraft was even made public. It was still top secret, so didn't have a F code name.

Regardless, both of these games are brilliant and by far my favourite flight sims.

Zweisy1

Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken are both up there.. amazing adventure games for their time. C64 was the birthplace of the SCUMM engine and that's enough of a reason to love the machine.

Infocom did great work too of course.

Netherworld and Moonfall from Jukka Tapanimäki are some of my favourites too..

Turrican games are brilliant though I kinda preferred the Amiga versions thanks to the soundtracks.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The only C64 game I ever played was Last Ninja (via Wii VC) and I was unimpressed. Way too stiff, hard to control, and had that terrible 80's euro game design that liked to kill you off every 2 seconds. I'm definitely willing to give the system another chance, but apart from games that have been ported all over the place (Ultima) I don't know what would be most appealing to play.

Phediuk

The only C64 game I ever played was Last Ninja (via Wii VC) and I was unimpressed. Way too stiff, hard to control, and had that terrible 80's euro game design that liked to kill you off every 2 seconds. I'm definitely willing to give the system another chance, but apart from games that have been ported all over the place (Ultima) I don't know what would be most appealing to play.

You can start with the top 100 C64 games from Lemon64:

http://www.lemon64.com/games/votes_list.php

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
How could I forget Spy vs Spy! Every post in this thread has another gem I forgot about.

Frankly, I had no idea what was going on, but the Red Dude and the Gun Blob were the shit, good sir. The shit.

Enigma_Force_1.gif

Yay !!! I remember not understanding this too. But you could play as a girl and the music was great!

There was another one I think called Shadowfire? Something like that. Lots of icons.

von zipp

My older brother and I had a game called Cholo.
It was a wire frame game where you had to hack various robots with different abilities. At least that's what we thought we had to do! Spent so much time playing this games having no idea what the fuck we were doing...good times!

All the great C64 games I played back in the day were already mentioned, but I'll say 'em anyway:

- Bard's Tale Construction Set (make your own bard's tale dungeons, I spent hours just making dungeons and then was too bad at the game to actually go through any of them)
- Pool of Radiance (Fucking Sokol Keep kicked my ass all the time, I beat it like twice in my life)
- California Games (I remember so few of the games in it, but they were all pretty good)
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (remember when they packed it in with a World Almanac?)

gah, the nostalgia.

Mengy

I also love Stealth Fighter. I've already mentioned it in this thread, but I've gotta do some correcting.

F19 Stealth Fighter never appeared on the C64. F19 is basically a remake of Project: Stealth Fighter for 16 bit machines, thus your box art showing the Amiga version.

The C64 Project: Stealth Fighter was released before the actual Stealth Fighter aircraft was even made public. It was still top secret, so didn't have a F code name.

Regardless, both of these games are brilliant and by far my favourite flight sims.

Yeah, you are right! I actually own two copies of this game: the one for my C64 and then I bought it again years later on PC for my Gateway 2000. I think it was actually called F-117 on the PC? I'd have to dig the box out to be sure. The PC version had colors and "much" more graphic detail. I spent so many hours with this game. People complain about framerates in games like Watch Dogs and Skyrim, man try playing Stealth Fighter on the C64 and see what horrible framerates truly are!!!!!

I still had metric tons of fun though

Bydobob

You can start with the top 100 C64 games from Lemon64:

http://www.lemon64.com/games/votes_list.php

Lots of adventure games in that list, they never seemed to enjoy much popularity or coverage at the time. Emulation has probably enabled a more mature appreciation of them over the years.

Sinful omission on my part: Leaderboard/World Class Leaderboard. Was only recently banging on about it in another thread. I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a golf game more since.

Surprised there have been no mentions of Super Cycle either. Multi-load cassette was painful but game was incredibly smooth and clipped along at a great pace. Would have done well in a Digital Foundry teardown!

VNZ

the gameplay was tight but it had half the levels of the arcade version

but that music.... good lord, i used to avoid shooting people at the end of the levels just so i could hear it in all it's glory.

abwXuG5.png

There was a pretty amazing "remaster patch" released recently. Bullet-points from the release notes:

• 5 new levels added. Game now has total of 8 levels like arcade
  • New Barracks, Hangar, Chopper, Level transition, etc. graphics
  • New Level features
  • New glitch-free Sprite multiplexer
  • New Scroller
  • Chopper that drops you onto the battle field and picks you up
  • Level Transition screen animations
  • Score, Lives and Bomb counter fixes
  • Code bug fixes - no more crashes
  • High Scores in attract mode
  • Game Over sequence added
  • Two new Sound modes with new SFX and new tunes by 6R6
  • Loading screen (by STE'86) and Loading tune (by 6R6) added
  • Pause added with Quit option
  • Easyflash version with High Score saver to flash and backup to disk
  • Universal File version that should work on any device
  • IFFL version with REU support
  • PAL and NTSC supported

The C64 scene is still up to a lot of crazy amazing stuff.

spekkeh

Banned

Frankly pretty much all of those games are completely unplayable now. Gaming was still in its toddler stages then. We were so amazed that something interactive could frustrate us so deeply that we liked it for it.

Top Bottom