• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Concept Artists

Irish

So, GAF, which artist has produced some of your favorite concept art? What is it in particular you like about his or her style?

I'll start with two that have worked on the Assassin's Creed series and one that has worked on God of War. First up:

Raphael Lacoste:

MATTE_SOUTH.jpg

Arctic_Express_2008____by_Raphael_Lacoste.jpg

Steampunk_Chinese_Village_by_Raphael_Lacoste.jpg

The two main reasons I like his work have to be the landscapes and the lighting. He makes everything seem ultra realistic and I like that.

Next, we have Martin Dechambault:

ib1pMWBEBUfScb.png

iqW8pKlZpQnZF.png

iyTRPA9Tmikzj.png

Project-77-CA-city-gate-WWW.jpg

I like the angling of each piece and the types of scenes that he creates.

Finally, there is Jung Park who worked on at least GOW 3:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really just like the scale, I guess.

These are just several of the many artists whose work I enjoy and only a select few shots from each. What about you all?

iNvid02

i just like concept art, all of it, even if its a game i have 0 interest in, staring at its art is pleasing

Irish

i just like concept art, all of it, even if its a game i have 0 interest in, staring at its art is pleasing

Yeah, same here. Oddly enough, character art is by far my favorite type of art and I didn't really include any of it in the OP.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Akihiko Yoshida

3e519eb77d45bb34ddd0453bc261e218.jpg

tumblr_lxoobgdfKJ1qgvvtno1_500.jpg

tumblr_lm0v1a3Wkk1qgb1o5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_l95ylkYAJX1qbs968o1_500.jpg

Craig Mullins

brute_kick.jpg

arbiter_and_chief_refined.jpg

Daniel Conway

08_09_2009_0506853001252391301_daniel-conway-600x375.png

Thomas Scholes

OppidumDepths7.jpg

GuildWars2_TheCommoner%27sMarket.jpg

Peet Cooper

ss3-hires.jpg

Mortok-By-Peet-Cooper.jpg

Grace Liu

Kerrigan_final.jpg

Daniel Dociu

rooftops_full.jpg

omgpretty-rb-316.jpg

Akiman

chunli.jpg

Daigo Ikeno

SFIV_Stages_Concept_Art_03.jpg

sfiv-stages-concept-art-04.jpg

And a bunch more, but thats enough breaking the forum formatting for now :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jen Zee

the_kid_by_jenzee-d4ntb5s.jpg

holy_warrior_by_jenzee-d4nn1nq.png

Matt Rhodes

DA2_Cast_Lineup.jpg

me2_mattrhodes_subjectzero_02.jpg

Some artists are hard to narrow down, for the most part its an unsung proffesion because there are tons of fantastic Monster Hunter designs, Final Fantasy backgrounds, World of Warcraft weapon props etc that are never properly credited.

dummydecoy

+1 for Craig Mullins. I remember downloading everything from his website, goodbrush.com back when it wasnt flash-based.

Lime

Masahiro Ito (Silent Hill 3)

8_p33exxj4.jpg

8_p369nymx.jpg

Rob Cunningham and David T. Cheong (Homeworld 2)

rc_15th_refit_hangar_74abb.jpg

rc_trinity01bwb0y.jpg

rc_15th_topside01m0leu.jpg

rcz_bigpicture02_shipylysg.jpg

Hong Lei, Jin Lei, Tyler Lockett, Luis Melo, Pu Jinsong (Alice: Madness Returns)

the_art_of_alice_madnglu5n.jpg

Snailfight_by_ken_wong.jpg

Platy

People ... lets make better use of quoting's resize !

Don't know how much they enter in the concept artists .... but i always loved the old school capcom artists ... specialy CRMK/Bengus and Kinu

Lots of crmk stuff on the link i just want to say this :
w1mQy.gif

GOD DAMN!
this dude makes perspective looks like stick figure easy =P

... and kinu !

And this slightly nsfw Mai

Comparing Kinu's work to shinkiro's in the Capcom vs Snk games is a masterclass on dynamics, expression and how shinkiro's drawings are amazing technicaly but CRAP emotionaly

Kinda sad to see those atrocious Dragon's Crown designs by Kinu =/

Dunan

Some of this stuff is just begging to take its place as a desktop background. I find myself clicking on each of them and looking up their sizes in pixels!

Raging Spaniard, what is that Daniel Dociu scene supposed to be? I can't tell!

Adding to Yoshida, how about Isamu Kamikokuryo, also of Square-Enix?

Two of my favorites:

Archades_artwork.jpg

FFXII-ArchadesCitizens_artwork.jpg

Phandy

Man I could post a list of about 50 concept artists that I love. :S
Anyone from 343 industries, Bungie, Arenanet, Massive Black. I love the fact that concept art is becoming a big part of the industry.

*removed because of a derp*

Isaac Hannaford
*pics

If you like Isaac check out Dorje's work. They both work at Bungie. I got to meet em once, was too awesome.
So good:

ICE_CAVE.jpg

006.jpg

Azure J

Well I know one thread I'm bookmarking the fuck out of. :)

Also, Bengus/CRMK, Kinu Nishimura, and Akihiko Yoshida are my favorite concept artists ever. Ever.

mihon

Amazing thread! I was wondering something like this could come up.

Akihiko Yoshida is one of my favorites too.

I love environment art and level design concepts.

I wonder what great art books (illustrations, but mostly concept) ppl here can sugest for buying. (not those guide books disguised as art books with tiny sketches all over the place)

Monocle

Craig Mullins for sure. A modern master.

(His site, Goodbrush, is currently down for me. Check it out some other day for its substantial archive of paintings.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "Concept Artist" (art director, character designer, background designer? what?), but here's a few I haven't seen mentioned:
Senri Kita (Fire Emblem PoR & RD), Hideo Minaba (FF 6,9,12, Tactics), Sachiko Wada (Fire Emblem), Yasushi Suzuki (Ikaruga, S&P), George Kamitani (Odin Sphere, Muramasa), Ko Takeuchi (Rhythm Heaven, WarioWare), Ken Sugimori (Pokémon), Yauyuki Honne (Baten Kaitos, Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade), Takaya Imamura (Star Fox, F-Zero), plus a bunch more that I either can't remember now or don't know the names of or everyone else is going to mention eventually. Nintendo always has great art, be it Mario or Zelda or whatever else, and I love the recent return to 2d art in Mario. Their old box art and instruction booklets always were fantastic and a joy to look at. Capcom too, of course.

Kinda sad to see those atrocious Dragon's Crown designs by Kinu =/
Dragon's Crown? Don't you mean Code of Princess? Either way you are wrong, both games have amazing art xP

Also, Bengus/CRMK, Kinu Nishimura, and Akihiko Yoshida are my favorite concept artists ever. Ever.
You have good taste.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yoshitaka Amano:

tumblr_lki8h9I63Y1qdqee0.jpg

Amano-SeymourYuna.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Amazing stuff in here. I will say that some of these end up looking remarkably similar in terms of color, tone and feel, by the time they get on screen. Which is obviously super important. Bungie in particular often executes on these amazing big concept scenes and gets the precise flavor of that right i the game and skybox.

Dacon

Banned
Looks like Matte paintings in the op.

Also a lot of these are just plain old promotional art right? Like some of the street fighter and kof ones.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The incredible art direction of Metroid Prime can be largely attributed to the work of Andrew Jones, who was commissioned to work with Retro Studios in shaping their vision of the project. I believe the story goes that Jones, when younger, had a serious accident that left him hospitalised with minor brain damage (or something like amnesia), and throughout his therapy he played a ton of Metroid. He felt a special connection to the franchise, so getting to work on it was kind of a big deal.

I cant find any sizable versions of his impressive work, but I always liked the x-ray stuff like this.

442336-btight_line_samcuex.jpg

On the fan art spectrum, Patryk Garrett's fan art for Mass Effect 2 is ludicrously good. So good BioWare hired him to do promotional art for Mass Effect 3.

mass_effect_3___legio5odgz.jpg
mass_effect_3___zaeedkciex.jpg

Phandy

Amazing stuff in here. I will say that some of these end up looking remarkably similar in terms of color, tone and feel, by the time they get on screen. Which is obviously super important. Bungie in particular often executes on these amazing big concept scenes and gets the precise flavor of that right i the game and skybox.

Yeah its satisfying to see concept artists work get reflected properly in the actual games. They often have such good visions for the game its a shame when they don't get carried across. Its also noticeable in games where they have good concept artists and people working from them because everything feels consistent, art-wise.

We see it in indy games but I'd love to see it in bigger AAA titles, where Art Direction and the actual in-game art is really closely aligned to just 'a single artist' so to speak. So its all about 1 person vision, and the art channels that feeling of the 1 artist.

Like I'd love a game where they really channel the feeling of marko Djurdjevic old concept work. Best post-apoc characters out there imo:

Erhabener.jpg
Schwert-Jehammeds.jpg

Raging Spaniard

Like I'd love a game where they really channel the feeling of marko Djurdjevic old concept work. Best post-apoc characters out there imo:

Are those actually Marko's? The signatures dont match ...

Phandy

Are those actually Marko's? The signatures dont match ...

They are names or descriptions of the characters. I'm 99% sure its Marko's work. It was his old stuff he did on this German Pen n Paper RPG called Degenesis.

Google translate tells me, the first means 'Exalted' the second means 'Sword-something'.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looks like Matte paintings in the op.

Also a lot of these are just plain old promotional art right? Like some of the street fighter and kof ones.

Maybe not. We use Sparth (who is working on Halo 4) stuff for multiple purposes - he creates it as game concept art, and we repurpose it for posters, book covers, etc. It's never wasted work, but the more people who get to see the originals, the happier I am.

Maybe not. We use Sparth (who is working on Halo 4) stuff for multiple purposes - he creates it as game concept art, and we repurpose it for posters, book covers, etc. It's never wasted work, but the more people who get to see the originals, the happier I am.
Mmh. This one is pretty:
pd8tj.jpg

And don't forget to mention to other guys who work with you and can be seen in Halo 4's Art trailer from the last PAX prime.

Alex Chu is amazing. I love especially this one here:
H5Vu0.jpg

I don't have any art by him on my harddrive but Ashley Weed Wood is amazing too. Especially his MGS art.

A lot of these guys are just insane.. wow.
I think if Michelangelo or Da Vinci would have seen some of this stuff they'd just quit.

Top Bottom