• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Concept Artists

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
A lot of these guys are just insane.. wow.
I think if Michelangelo or Da Vinci would have seen some of this stuff they'd just quit.

lol not really, Da Vinci mastered traditional painting before he grew pubes and basically discovered modern anatomy all by himself. The breakthroughs, methods and polish of the old masters is untouched to this day.

If they had the tools we have today .... my God

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lol not really, Da Vinci mastered traditional painting before he grew pubes and basically discovered modern anatomy all by himself. The breakthroughs, methods and polish of the old masters is untouched to this day.

JswjQ.jpg

Yeah, don't worry, i'm aware of his (and Michelangelo's) brilliance :p
Still, the speed and accuracy some of these artists work with is insane. INSANE!!!

One of my many favorites is Arne "Niklas" Jansson, who's worked on Battalion Wars, Cortex Command, and happens to be a great game design aficionado and sketch/concept artist himself. All of his game concept material can be found here. Now for some excerpts:

Off of Pixiv is another unique favorite of mine, going by Koki (warning: a good deal of his stuff is NSFW, so I'm showing the SFW material):

I really like a heavy amount of stylization and color consciousness in both fan art and concept art, so I gave two great example visual artists right here. Koki is better overall, but Niklas has so much imagination that it hurts to think of what he could do next.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Is Koki doing concept art for Nintendo? I mean, its nice, but thats not what this thread is asking for, somebody is bound to get the wrong idea.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Glad to see some big-ups for my old Relic colleagues Rob and Dave on Homeworld :D

Daryl Mandryk is one of the most talented guys I've ever come across, personally and professionally. Disney, Dark Horse, EA, Lucasarts, the lot. I can't recommend him enough.

UzjaS.jpg

88heA.jpg

i0BcK.jpg

TwXup.jpg

jQTi1.jpg

gSLAt.jpg

sublimit

Banned
Yoshitaka Amano
Akihiko Yoshida
Yoji Shinkawa
Masahiro Ito
Takayoshi Sato
Fumito Ueda
Shunpei Suzuki
Hitoshi Niwa
Shigenori Soejima
Ryohei Huke

Is Koki doing concept art for Nintendo? I mean, its nice, but thats not what this thread is asking for, somebody is bound to get the wrong idea.
I honestly don't know about Koki himself, but the term "concept art" is so broad that even fan art can qualify. And the OP didn't clarify on whether it's supposed to be produced in-house at a developer of any sort, so there.

TheOddOne

Maybe not. We use Sparth (who is working on Halo 4) stuff for multiple purposes - he creates it as game concept art, and we repurpose it for posters, book covers, etc. It's never wasted work, but the more people who get to see the originals, the happier I am.
You are a good man. A good man, I tell you.

Amazing stuff in here. I will say that some of these end up looking remarkably similar in terms of color, tone and feel, by the time they get on screen. Which is obviously super important. Bungie in particular often executes on these amazing big concept scenes and gets the precise flavor of that right i the game and skybox.

I noticed that with Reach especially, a lot of the art pieces end up looking nearly identical in the final game, which is pretty damn cool.

Lime

Peter Chan (Grim Fandango)

full20031022005708.jpg

full20031022005500.jpg

full20031022005536.jpg

full20031022005547.jpg

full20031022010131.jpg

Glad to see some big-ups for my old Relic colleagues Rob and Dave on Homeworld :D

Big ups? More like complete worship of these guys. The art style they went for in Homeworld 1+2 has influenced me in major ways, while opening my eyes for 70's/80s sci-fi artists like Chris Foss, Peter Elson and Chris Moore.

Tankman

Whoever posted Daniel Dociu was spot on, Guildwars was one of those games I didn't regret buying the collectors editions and it was mostly because of the amazing art-books that came with them.

Atolm

Castlevania LoS has amazing concept art. And you can unlock a huge art gallery in-game, too. I'd kill for an artbook.

Okami has very good concept art as well.

zoukka

NQnf0.jpg

YkZKC.jpg

Masterful work. I still don't know the artist though. The designs are instantly recognizable, unique, varied and retain just the right amount of detail to work as perfect concept art, promotional art and character design.

Such classic craftmanship and vision.

whitehawk

Banned
Man, I must imagine being a concept artist is one of the coolest jobs as an artist. You just draw (what you love) for a living and make a good wage for it too.

zoukka

Man, I must imagine being a concept artist is one of the coolest jobs as an artist. You just draw (what you love) for a living and make a good wage for it too.

You draw what is asked and you adapt to different kinds of new styles all the times. You are also under tight schedules.

Unless you are extremely lucky, talented and hardworking and someday people just buy off anything you make (doesn't happen to anyone pretty much).

But yeah it's a cool profession :)

Sheap

Beyond Shinkawa and the ever amazing Amano, I've always had a sweet spot for You Yoshinari's work.

24302.jpg

Valkyrie Profile 2
tumblr_ljypw0qsVj1qz5ny9o1_500.jpg

vp-misc07.jpg

Fan Art
yoshinarippg.jpg

Mdk7

Daryl Mandryk is one of the most talented guys I've ever come across, personally and professionally. Disney, Dark Horse, EA, Lucasarts, the lot. I can't recommend him enough.

i0BcK.jpg

You know i have a thing for Turok Bish, but i'm looking at the Turok 2 stuff and FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
i almost want to cry.

Why do they canned it, why!?!? :(

Fjordson

Comcept art is fucking amazing.

I really love art that shows off a neat setting. Fallout 3 and New Vegas art is great for that. Not sure who does it all.

XLhU7.jpg

VldEk.jpg

nq6fT.jpg

VQSWs.jpg

EVIL

anthony francisco did some amazing art for project offset

6qbw66l

7txnmo3

79akee2

7kcbea2

7v8nhnv

ehh, you got your facts wrong, these are done by Khang Le, except for the second one, and also that one isn't from Anthony Fransico. Fransico did allot of the character art on offset.

Top Bottom