• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Dragon Quest Monsters

The Dragon Quest games have some of the best monster designs out there. What are your favorite monsters that appear in the Dragon Quest series.

I've only played V and VIII so far, but here are my favorite monsters.

-ragon--uest--lime--allpaper-295578.png

I like the basic ole Slime

latest

Killing Machine

latest

Samigina

latest

Gigantes

latest

Bjorn

His demonic monsters are really good to me. Whenever I see them. I expect to get fucked up pretty bad.

Dragoshi1

I don't know what they're called, as I haven't played a DQ in forever, but it looks like a Dragon holding an axe. I always found it hilarious.

Slimes are a good second. Such an iconic face.

javadoze

I don't know why this one pops out in my head so much, but I enjoy the design of the Khalamari Kid from DQVIII.

bNetiwc.png

Especially when it's too busy doodling to attack.

xevis

Banned
Slime Knight is pretty cool.

latest

I'm also partial to the Slime Stack

latest

Heck, they're all good, really.

Besides the designs, I also love the pun-tastic localised names they get in some cases. There's the Cruelcumber, the Scarewolf (and later, the Bewarewolf!), the Tyrantula and the Grinage. Not convinced? How about Garth Goyle! *groan*

So good!

I've always loved the Slime Knight. Probably the best steed to ride on for long periods of time.

Also the Golem and the Killing Machines are such classic designs to me, they're what I think of first when I hear Earth elemental and robots, respectively.

And I'd be remiss to forget about the Mimic class of enemies. A devious design to make sure adventurers are wary about opening all the chests they come across.

rpmurphy

Dracky and Golem are iconic.

Definitely have a soft spot for healslimes because of Healie in IV.

Love the Mimic as well. It has a deceptive look to it but it can ruin your day.

Monja and Hammerhood are pretty cute.

Dracky and Golem are iconic.

Definitely have a soft spot for healslimes because of Healie in IV.

Love the Mimic as well. It has a deceptive look to it but it can ruin your day.

Monja and Hammerhood are pretty cute.

Yeah Whack is dangerous, but those Urns are even worse. It almost wiped out my whole party with Thwack. Anytime an enemy has that move my skin crawls.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Slime Knight is pretty cool.

latest

I'm also partial to the Slime Stack

latest

Heck, they're all good, really.

Besides the designs, I also love the pun-tastic localised names they get in some cases. There's the Cruelcumber, the Scarewolf (and later, the Bewarewolf!), the Tyrantula and the Grinage. Not convinced? How about Garth Goyle! *groan*

So good!
Mine was slime knight and slime tower too. Thanks for the pic!

Aters

That cucumber monster, I forget its name.
And that jewelry bag or whatever it's called. Dude just chill and smile all the time, and you can get more gold coin for beating one of those.

Edit: apparently they are called Cruelcumber and Goodybag.

Slime Knight was a bro in DQ5. It ended up great for pretty much the entire game. It also has that Solaire-like personality going on.

Lynx_7

Since most people seem to be posting common monsters, guess I'll contribute with some bosses. I'll spoiler tag them just in case, so just click on it to see.

Barbarus (DQ IX)

Madesagora (DQ X)

Bishop Ladja (DQ V)

Morag (DQ IX)

Darksteel Dragon (DQ VIII)
[all of his forms are technically the same but this is my favorite color scheme]

Edit: oh yeah, always found Empyrea pretty cool too but I can't seem to find a good image.

Camjo-Z

Platypunk

d5qN81r.png

Anytime I play as Platypunk in Fortune Street, I end up speaking in a Russian accent the entire game, even though in-game he talks like he's mafia. I can't explain why. Anyway, I love this dude.

Goodybag

I have a plush of this guy that I keep loose change in. His design is just great.

Healslime

Healie is awesome, and I always like using some form of healer slime in my party in DQM games.

Aeana

I have a lot, but these are the ones that always come to mind immediately:

KeGwxLE.png

Archdemon

HihD7E7.png

Roari

PC7Nx3f.png

Hell Pirate

NoB7LgK.png

Lamp Demon

ktGY6GJ.png

Fat Bat

Iu1VJoe.png
TRMyHZT.png
l1vFmPQ.png
xVkbyTf.png

The Pip family

yC9oOzo.png

Dorango (battle rex)

jsMVNDu.png

Bone Baron

COmdr1T.png

Minidemon

asrnblh.png

Golem

jRMU3nF.png

Borongo (killer panther)

CLlVJuq.png

Gigantes

4mw1kpX.png

Dracky

And of course, #1 and forever in my heart

fnORoFm.png

Pierre (slime knight)

Liquid Metal Slime will always be my #1.

ndxLysj.png

I could list dozens, but I'm too lazy to grab and rehost that many images right now.

I forgot all about the Pips. Yep, they're top notch. Where'd you get all the sprites Aeana?

Arch demon is great too. I haven't seen this Roari and I think I'm going to pick my next Dragon Quest game based on which one it appears in.

See Avatar

Also have a tradition of making this guy for my final boss party in every Monsters game I play.

SdWQCHI.png

Well except in Joker 3 where they took him out =/

Also pretty much anything from the slime family but that doesn't count

I love so many of the enemy designs in this series so it's hard for me to pick only a few, but here goes.

Slime Knight
slime_knight.png

Dracky
dracky_th.png

Minidemon
minidemon.png

Bag o' Laughs
laughing_bag.png

Golem
golem.png

Krammy

I've played Dragon Quest III the most, so the monsters I like the most hail from that game.

Liquid Metal Slime (when they aren't running away)
tumblr_inline_o2gnkziR7y1ri065t_500.gif

Cannibox
tumblr_inline_o2ftvsCj9D1ri065t_500.gif

Bag o' Laughs & Jewel Bag
tumblr_inline_o3z6rjPoFu1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o2dbxgDyqJ1ri065t_500.gif

Orochi
tumblr_inline_o2dbwiBV8z1ri065t_500.gif

Zoma
tumblr_inline_o2dzyp853j1ri065t_500.gif

Gotta give props to the classic Green Dragon too.
tumblr_inline_o2dzyudgyH1ri065t_500.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'll go with the regular old smile slime that I name rocket.

The games are so simple and silly. I still can't help beating every one I've played though and doing the extra stuff. Damn, I could use another DQM...I just can't get into Pokemon.

linko9

Thought this was going to be about the series. Loved DWM on the GBC. I like the moneybags with the tongue. And Dracky.

juicyb

Currently replaying through DQ8 now and Metal Slimes all the way! Get so excited when I see them pop up, and then super frustrated when they flee

Bitanator

Slime Knight is my favorite monster from the games, have a few figurines of the little buddy.

slime_nite.png

the Iron Turt from DQM is killer as well

ironturt.png

I always had a Grizzly on my team in the original DQM, he lead my team to many victories

grizzly.png

King Leo has been one I've always loved too

king_leo.png

The SpotKing Slime might be the cutest monster in the entire series

spot_king.png

And nobody messes with Estark

esterk.png

Some more favorites..

skeletor.png

dead_noble.png

rogue_nite.png

roboster.png