• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite DS game so far?

Harmonica

This is a hard choice. I've played Advance Wars DS the absolute most, and at the time, I think it may have been my favorite game ever made. Since then though, I've really played so much Castlevania it's insane.

Probably a tie between those two.

Dyne

Animal Crossing: Wild World

And I haven't played enough of Castlevania or Advance Wars so I can't tell if they're my favourites yet. Mostly because I play way too much Animal Crossing.

Ouendan, without a doubt. It's an incredibly satisfying, entertaining experience.

I'm playing Mario Kart and Animal Crossing right now and both are pretty good. I've been sucked into Animal Crossing but don't know whether it's because I'm truly entertained or just because I want to see what's going to happen next (I'm afraid I'll eventually get bored with it, a la Nintendogs).

Looking forward to Brain Training, Phoenix Wright, Metroid Pinball and that new Golf game, and hopefully Top Spin will be good.

Games I've owned and really liked a lot:
Castlevania
Advance Wars
Meteos

Games that were okay:
Nintendogs
Electroplankton
Super Mario DS
Yoshi Touch & Go
Wario Ware
Feel the Magic
Kirby

Here's what I wasted money on (and what you should stay the hell away from):
Madden
Ridge Racer DS

AdmiralViscen said:
What's so great about Animal Crossing? Is it worth it if I might not play it online?

i'm not playing it online and it's pretty good so far. i just started a couple of days ago and at first i was annoyed that i was doing errands and working in a video game, but there's this urge in me to keep going to see what happens next and what else i can do in the game.

AdmiralViscen said:
If it's anything like the Cube version, the new stuff caps off pretty quickly.

really? damn. i had a feeling about that too while playing it last night. how much into the game does it start to cap off? 3-4 hours? 10 hours?

I got sick of the first one in a month or two, and that was with the NES games as incentives. But this game seems to have a lot better legs. I want to know what made it so much better than the first one.

AdmiralViscen said:
I got sick of the first one in a month or two, and that was with the NES games as incentives. But this game seems to have a lot better legs. I want to know what made it so much better than the first one.

all the reviews and posts i've read about the game tout the online functionality as the game's biggest draw. i could imagine the game being a much more engaging experience if i played online, but i probably won't be doing that, at least not anytime soon.

Feedbacker said:
Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, Mario Kart. Is Band Brothers really that good? Hmm...

It's not flashy, but yes, Band Bros. is really that good. Prepare to get your ass kicked--the learning curve has a Grand Canyon between Amateur and Pro--but don't give up, 'cause that's where the real fun is.

Tarazet

I have a whopping six games now.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - haven't played it and probably won't
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - plenty of goodness, nice balance of challenge
Ford Racing 3 - I paid $10 expecting exactly what I got, no regrets
Metroid Prime Pinball - brilliant and surprisingly deep
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - the perfect DS game, period
Sonic Rush - disappointing, some control aspects are just too easy and sap the challenge

So far, Castleania- although that said, there's a lot of damn good DS games that are unique to the platform that just destroy anything else out there. Phoenix Wright, Meteos, Mario Kart etc. etc.

Quake1028

919057b.jpg

AniHawk

Mario Kart. I just love playing it with my family and friends. AND RAINBOW ROAD HAS LOOPS.

RAINBOW ROAD HAS FUCKING LOOPS!!

Phoenix Wright. Then Advance Wars DS > Castlevania DoS > Trauma Center > Kirby CC > Meteos > Animal Crossing WW > Mario & Luigi PiT > Feel the Magic > WarioWare > Nintendogs > 64 DS > Touch & Go > Pac-Pix

I'm guessing that Ouendan will climb the list. Here's hoping.

Mrbob said:
Is Quendan coming to NA?

Also, can you enjoy it without knowing japanese?

Well, it's "50/50". It could be one of those games that are just too obscure to get a publisher, or might just be so obscure that a publisher falls in love with it.

Also, while you cannot understand what they're saying, the comic book style of storyline before, during and after the levels give you a pretty good idea of what's happening. As for menus, there's a translation FAQ over at GameFAQs telling you what's what.

Chrono

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
Well, it's "50/50". It could be one of those games that are just too obscure to get a publisher, or might just be so obscure that a publisher falls in love with it.

I think the guy who works for Nintendo of Europe and posts here said that it'll be coming this summer or something, not sure though.

Tiger

Banned
This is my favorite game for the DS so far. I could also easily say Mario Kart but I won't because we all know that game is the sweetness. Yoshi T&G on the other hand, was a highly under appreciated gem.

Yoshi.jpg

IMO, this game was like Crazy Taxi in the sense that it was repetitive, and it had limited level sizes, but it was so damn addictive and fun that it kept me intrigued for a long time. The gameplay is just so tight and well executed that I can't help but keep playing in an attempt at beating my high scores. Absolutely delightful little game that was so underrated it's not even funny. I'm still bitter about it to this day that very few people seemed to *get* this game, and thus a sequel is probably unlikely.

Chrono said:
I think the guy who works for Nintendo of Europe and posts here said that it'll be coming this summer or something, not sure though.

To North America, or Europe? Anyway, I think I'll pass on an English release. I'd rather get it in the next week than next Summer. :)

Jiggy

Advance Wars destroys everything except Animal Crossing, which hangs on to a solid second place only because it lasts longer than practically every game in existence. AWDS just has a "tighter" feel to it; yes, I've only gotten 120 hours of entertainment out of AWDS as compared to ACWW's 200 or so (and still going), but those hours were even more dense with fun.

Distant thirds are Meteos, Mario Kart, Castlevania, and Mario 64. They're all different genres, so I can't really say any of them are necessarily better than the others, but they're all great. Just not "Animal Crossing great," and especially not "Advance Wars great."

cicero

MaddenNFL64 said:
I only have a few games for it, but i'd have to say my favorite is the one I just picked up.

Metroid Pinball. Yes. Pinball. Metroid style.

It only has 6 tables in all, but the pinball action is so spot-on, and tables are so alive with Metroid action, that the replay value is actually very high. Even without Samus rolling around, the game would be pretty solid. You'd think the inch of space between the screens would screw you over in timing, but it's pretty seamless how it drops to the bottom. Your eye doesn't miss a thing.

The objective is to collect artifacts, and you get them by completing goals, like destroying a swarm of bugs before they overwhelm Samus, killing space pirates, metroids, and other things with your pinball skills, and defeating pinball versions of the MP1 bosses, like Thanatos. As you collect them, you move on to different boards, completing each tables objectives, and so on until you get them all, or die (and you can die outside of dropping in the dead zone at the bottom of the table).

Of course, I wish there more tables, but that's more of a 'the game is awesome, I need more!' kind of thing, then a flaw. It's really the perfect portable experience. Playing mission mode once may take 15-20 minutes, if you can keep the ball alive long enough.
I picked this up this month during the whole Best Buy coupon thing, been a real surprise hit for me. There really should be more tables though, six really isn't enough. I think six full tables with four tables like phazon mines would have been reasonable.

I still have to pick Mario Kart DS, most fun I have had with a game in the past year. I have barely started Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time, and Animal Crossing: Wild World. I doubt they will top Mario Kart DS though.

Tigerriot said:
This is my favorite game for the DS so far. I could also easily say Mario Kart but I won't because we all know that game is the sweetness. Yoshi T&G on the other hand, was a highly under appreciated gem.

Yoshi.jpg

IMO, this game was like Crazy Taxi in the sense that it was repetitive, and it had limited level sizes, but it was so damn addictive and fun that it kept me intrigued for a long time. The gameplay is just so tight and well executed that I can't help but keep playing in an attempt at beating my high scores. Absolutely delightful little game that was so underrated it's not even funny. I'm still bitter about it to this day that very few people seemed to *get* this game, and thus a sequel is probably unlikely.

Yoshi was a great *DEMO*. There's no game there.

mrkgoo

Man, the DS has had a good life so far... I have more games than my PS2! (which I bought at GT3 release).

In pretty much order of my favourite:

1)Ouendan: For me, embodies what a handheld game should be- quick, fun, and so replayable. Doesn't hurt that it has great music!
2) Advance Wars: Ok, so it's Advance Wars...but it's the most complete title - fantastic campaign, a hugely replayable singleplayer, and a vastly awesome multi, with great graphics, sound, and charm. Also with lots of new options, characters, and modes in the new version...most of which can be turned off! So the most definitive version of an already perfect game.
3) Mario Kart: Best version yet.
4)Meteos: Awesome. Fantastic puzzler
5) Mario 64: I loved the N64 version, and this is better except for controls. I guess the remixing of the characters dilute its purity, but it still works well, and with some great minigames, it's a good package.
6) Another Code: Tough to decide which was better in the end between this and PW(despite my early reservations) - but I decided this, because it was much more hands on.
7) Phoenix Wright: Fantastic characters, and really sharp dialogue. Actually quite lengthy.
8) Bomber man: Only really good in Multi, but God, it's good.
9)Nintendogs: Yeah, it's a showpiece, but not really much of a game. My dogs must be dead by now.
10) Metroid Pinball: Really good pinball, but somehow is much more repetitive than Pokemon Pinball, which I adored.
11) Mr Driller (euro): I picked it up as a puzzler, and thought, ???, but after I started treating it as more of an action game, it made sense. All the modes are quite different, but still good.
12) Kirby: Also over rated. Yes, it's good, and different, but the potential for this title was never really reached.
13) Wario Ware: Well, I liked it more than the original GBA version.
14) Polarium: Over rated in my opinion. The main mode requires memory more than skill. The puzzle mode is engaging, however, but few of the puzzles are actually challenging.

Cheebs

Mario Kart DS

Top Bottom