• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite racing games

Been replaying some old racing games lately. Here are some of my favorites.

Sega Rally (Saturn)
Super-playable conversion in spite of the limited hardware. Now that Daytona USA is available on PSN/XBLA (another favorite), is a HD version of the original too much to ask for?

RxIiH.png

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2)
Remember considering getting a 3DO just for the original NFS (which still looks amazing for its time). Criterion's version was great but NFS:HP2 remains my favorite entry in the series. Varied tracks with lots of shortcuts, forgiving handling, played this a lot.

g9DsU.png

Burnout 2 and 3 (PS2)
Skipped the first game which didn't get glowing reviews at the time, but it's sequel amazed me when it came out. Very successfully emulated the look and feel of the great arcade racers of the ninties. Crash mode was brilliant. Burnout 3 added mechanics like the takedown meter and impact time, making ramming rival cars very satisfying. Prefer 2 over 3 if I have to pick one.

q66GR.png

BiIbp.png

Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
This is the version I ended up playing the most. Especially loved the rally mode. Why Polyphony didn't make a GT Rally spinoff instead of that bike game is a mystery to me.

EDUXI.png

F-Zero GX (GC)
Hard but incredibly playable. Amazing graphics and track design.

QbqUH.png

OutRun Online Arcade (XBLA)
This (and other OutRun 2 versions) marks the end of an era. Most likely the last great Sega arcade racer.

Ml2tx.png

Other favorites:
Mario Kart Double Dash (GC), Wave Race 64 (N64), San Francisco Rush 2049 (N64), Metropolis Street Racer (DC), Le Mans 24 Hours (DC), Ridge Racers (PSP).

GAF, what are your favorite racers? Any hidden gems out there?

Herb

Banned
Moto Racer (Playstation)
Very fast paced, has jumping mechanics mixed in, very memorable levels and different types of bike. My favorite was the Great Wall of China.

D1SYy.png

Bgamer90

Banned
F-Zero

Super Mario Kart

Moto Racer 1 & 2 (PS1)

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit

Need for Speed: High Stakes

Gran Turismo 1, 2, & 3

Burnout 3

Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4

Burnout Paradise

Forza Motorsport 4

Favourite is Mario Kart Wii. After that it'd be the other Mario Karts and a few other party style / weapon based racers. Not big on the 'realistic' ones.

Retne

My all time favorite has to be Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

ibb5ZxarG81FYq.jpg

I liked driving around the tokyo highways and flashing my lights at random racers.

Ranger X

Jarret and Labonte Stock Car racing on PS1 was one of my favorite games ever (especially at the time)
This game was doing everything Gran Turismo 2 didn't and its actually that game that made me stop playing GT2...

Jarrett%20And%20Labonte%20Stock%20Car%20Racing-PSX-NTSC-US.jpg

- There was 12 cars in the race
- Like 20-ish tracks, all real tracks and including Bathurst
- Night Driving
- Realistic damage
- Weather (real one, not like GT... lol)
- Tire wear
- Interactive pit stops
- Fuel consumption
- Mechanical failures
- Cockpit view in all cars

All of this at some rock solid 30fps and with graphics that were the best the PS1 gave us outside GT2 for a racing game.

• Formula One 2001
  • Burnout 3: Takedown
  • F1 2010/2011
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted [BlackBox]
  • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit [Criterion]
  • Project Gotham Racing 4
  • Forza Motorsport 3
  • Test Drive Unlimited

bjork

Test Drive Unlimited 1 (360)
Demolition Racer (PS1)
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (DC)

and then of course
Daytona
Sega Rally
Super Hang-On
OutRun

Jarret and Labonte Stock Car racing on PS1 was one of my favorite games ever (especially at the time)
This game was doing everything Gran Turismo 2 didn't and its actually that game that made me stop playing GT2...

- There was 12 cars in the race
- Like 20-ish tracks, all real tracks and including Bathurst
- Night Driving
- Realistic damage
- Weather (real one, not like GT... lol)
- Tire wear
- Interactive pit stops
- Fuel consumption
- Mechanical failures
- Cockpit view in all cars

All of this at some rock solid 30fps and with graphics that were the best the PS1 gave us outside GT2 for a racing game.

Had to google this, turns out it's the US version of the first TOCA game by Codemasters. Cool.

Gek54

Remember considering getting a 3DO just for the original NFS (which still looks amazing for its time). Criterion's version was great but NFS:HP2 remains my favorite entry in the series. Varied tracks with lots of shortcuts, forgiving handling, played this a lot.

g9DsU.png

"Ya got the power of the hootchie
I got the fever for the flava of the cootchie
Oh hey hey hey hey whoap whoap"

Over and over in my head now

daevv

Older games: Micro Machines, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, and Crash Team Racing.
Current: Smugglers Run, Burnout Revenge, Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm RC.

-Forza 4 and 1 by far! (loved the third too) , this is my favorite game and franchise ever!!

-Gran Turismo 2 especially (1,3,5 in lesser degree)

-Project Gotham Racing 2 and 3.

-Test Drive Unlimited 1

-Dirt 1 (first rally game i felt i was good)

-Need for Speed 4 : High Stakes

-Stunts (4D driving)

-Street Rod

-Test Drive 2 : The Duel

-Carmageddon 2

Those are my favorites!

Dgott

Banned
Can't embed pics since I'm on my phone, but I'd have to say Toca2 and Toca3. Run those with a Logitech DFP wheel and it's hands down more fun than GT.

Love the F-Zero games, but I miss Diddy Kong Racing probably more than most. I loved how there was a hub world and extra stuff to do like collecting the balloons and stuff. Really wish there was a new game in the same kind of vein.

eXistor

Seeing as I really don't like racing games I'm gonna name the one that I played the fuck out of: Sega Rally on Saturn. Actually, also F-Zero GX, I was addicted to that one for quite a bit, not nearly as much as to Sega Rally though.

I occasionaly play funracers like Micro Machines, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, Mario Kart and the like, but they never really hold my attention too long.

/edit: oh and I forgot Beetle Adventure Racing, so good and still holds up pretty well.

Videoneon

Mario Kart DS

F-Zero GX

Diddy Kong Racing

Blur

Shrek Swamp Kart for GBA (but not really)

I hear much praise about Sonic Kart, that's another game I'll have to try too.

I think my favorite racing game is Ridge Racer 2 for the PSP. I love Ridge Racer, and this feels like the best one to me. I love how many songs you can choose from RR history and the gameplay is slick and fun arcade-style. My perfect racer.

I have really fond memories of Sega Rally for the Saturn and Dreamcast. So few tracks but you really had to master them to progress. iirc the hidden final stage was pretty neat.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is probably my favorite racer ever, despite the sad fact that it's 30fps.

Rallisport Challenge 2 is about as realistic a racer as I can deal with. I remember playing this on my first HDTV in cockpit view, it was incredible.

Mario Kart 64 shaved years off of my life.

GimMick

- Mario Kart (all of them)
- F-Zero (especially the original)
- Crash Team Racing
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Motortoon GP2
- Daytona USA
- Ridge Racer 2
- Wipeout (1 and 2097)
- Gran Turismo 3
- Kirby Air Ride

Gran Turismo 1,3 and 4.
So you have the best one, 2? Strange!

I like WipEout 2097 best. Rollcage and Gran Turismo 2 would be tied. Had a ton of fun with Super Mario Kart and Vigilante 8 multiplayer wise. I think Burnout Paradise and Trackmania need mentions for taking the genre further even if they aren't my most played.

It's a pity Blur didn't get the success it deserved. That game was like audio visual cocaine at its best.

KKRT00

Colin McRae Rally 2
Gran Turismo series
Wipeout series
Screamer 1
NFS 2 SE, Porsche and Underground 1
Carmageddon 2
eRacer
Motorhead

Honorable mentions: Rollcage, Ignition, Death Rally, Midtown Madness 2 [dat LAN fun!], Speed Haste

I used to love Mario Kart, but I've gotten bored of the franchise as I've grown. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was pretty darn good, but not all that fantastic. I'd say that there's only one racing game in the world that I'd classify as fantastic, and that's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit by Criterion. Gameplay and controls are really solid, as is the tracks and the soundtrack. Easily my favourite racing game.

EDIT: Completely forgot about Lego Racer 2. That game was awesome. Open-world racing at its best! Man, this is one of the reasons why I dislike PC gaming: I can't replay this game on my Vista. Haven't tried it on Windows 7 though, but I doubt it's compatible.

Wow. This is going to be hard to just pick a few. And some have already been mentioned. So many great racing games.

sUkGO.jpg

Wipeout (PS1)

Gy592.jpg

Ridge Racer (PS1)

iCUdn.jpg

Waverace 64

eHXLw.jpg

Rumble Racing (PS2)

mM1G2.jpg

Need For Speed III Hot Pursuit (PS1, PC)

1LnXY.jpg

Tokyo Highway Battle (PS1)

Yq2q6.jpg

Burning Road (PS1)

9bBEN.jpg

Vanishing Point (Dreamcast)

Just to name a few. I could go on all day.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Kart 64, GT5, The Star Wars Ep. 1 racing game.

Coen

My shortlist: R4 Ridge Racer Type 4, Wave Race 64, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, Colin McRae Rally 2 and Grand Prix 2.

Shizzlee

F-Zero GX
Diddy Kong Racing
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
NFS:HP (2010)
NFS:MW
Midnight Club 2
Daytona USA
San Francisco Rush 2049
Top Gear 3000
WipEout HD

That's my list. Other games I kinda liked:

Super Hang On, Sonic Riders 1, Sonic Drift 2, GT 5, Sega GT, Mario Kart 64, and Outrun.

Cuddler

Toca touring car Championship, TOCA 2 Touring Cars, Gran Turismo 1/2/3/4/5, Colin Mcrae Rally 1/2, V-Rally 1/2/3, RACE 07, F1 97, SBK series.

Top Bottom