• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Recurring Characters in Final Fantasy

What are some of your favorite recurring characters in the series? I'm specifically talking characters and not summons and monsters. Also are there any characters you'd think should reappear in another Final Fantasy? I took a liking to Mr. Morrid the coffee appreciator from Final Fantasy IX.

I think it's without question that Cid is the most popular one in the series, but there are a few others that should be recognized more and who seem to have been forgotten in the series for a while.

31435-final-fantasy-nes-screenshot-boss-battle-against-garland-final.jpg

Firstly you have Garland who was a primary antagonist in the original Final Fantasy. I don't know a lot about him since I've yet to play the og, but I am familiar with his 2nd incarnation in IX in which he
is revealed to be Zidane's creator and the ruler of a planet who has lost all of its citizens. He created the soulless genomes as vessels to reestablish the former people of his planet Terra. It's unfortunate that his goal succumbs to destroying the entire planet of Gaia. When Kuja seemingly kills him by kicking him off a cliff, he becomes a disembodied voice of wisdom to Zidane.

FFVIII_Biggs_Wedge.jpeg

You also have Biggs and Wedge. The duo named after wingmen in Star Wars Episode IV: The New Hope, their first appearance were in VI as guards of the empire. In the game's introduction you got to play as them alongside Terra, but their time was short lived as they became red shirts within the hour. Their next appearance was in VII as members of Avalanche. Biggs sported a cool demeanor while Wedge had the chubby guy cliche to him. They worked on the technological aspects of the group and their time was short lived in the game. In VIII the duo showed up again, but with much more prominence in the story. They occur as soldiers working in the Galbadia Army and were comic relief villains. They were present in the game up to the Lunatic Pandora section near the game's end. In X and X-2 they were only NPCs that you could recruit to your Blitzball team. Biggs and Wedge also make an appearance in Chrono Trigger.

2333h.jpg
150206_93.jpg

There is also Cid of course who is present in about every Final Fantasy. The fan favorite seems to be Cid Highwind of VII, but mine's goes to IX's, but VI's also deserves mention because he grants us one of the most emotional and memorable scenes in the series. Cid is typically involved with airships in some way, but there have been some exceptions like VI's. I prefer my Cids to be middle-aged men, so I don't like Al-Cid and the Cid in XIII. XV will be getting its first female Cid and while she's not middle-aged or a male I'm ok with her. I'm not sure if she'll be connected with airships at all, but I hope so.

32-PSOGL2_767.jpg
Mogrymillian.jpg
montblanc1.png

Stiltzkin, Artemicion, and Montblanc occur in multiple games. Stiltzkin and Artemicion I only know from IX and Montblanc from XII. Not sure how interesting Montblanc is in the Tactics series.

win-torrents.ru_final-fantasy-xiii-2-repack-multi8-eng-jap-2014_9.jpeg

Gilgamesh is probably the second most popular after Cid. His first appearance was in V as a villain and he has been showing up randomly throughout the series since. Some players believe that Gilgamesh hops across various planets in the series to try and get the weapons of the series famous heroes.
artwork.final-fantasy-4.326x480.2008-07-06.219.jpg

The Magus Sisters seem to be the only ones with just two appearances. They showed up in Final Fantasy IV as bosses and in X as summons. It's been a while since I've seen these three sisters and hope they'll make an appearance in XV as rivals to the male cast of the game.

Shinra is also a recurring character in the series with only two appearances. There were two people by that name in VII who owned the electric power company of the same name. The next Shinra to appear was in X-2 as part of the Gullwings unit. He was a tech savy child that I didn't care much for. I personally would be fine if Shinra doesn't come back for the rest of the series.

Cid for sure, especially Cid Highwind.

Also it's a common misconception but Cidney isn't XV's Cid. Cid is mentioned at the end of Episode Duscae.

sensui-tomo

Cidney isnt the FF15 cid,
her father is Cid as explained in the demo.
I sure love me some gilgamesh. Love the fan theories surrounding him too.

Can I say Chocobos? =X

That's the only one I care about tbh. I guess Moogles are helpful and Cid is always interesting to see, but I could play a game without them. I just need Chocobos.

Zomba13

Gilgamesh is the best. Yeah, Cid is cool and a staple and all that but Gilgamesh wins due to actually (well, probably) being the same character from FFV that just now wanders between worlds having goofy adventures and trying to get a good weapon collection going.

I would love to see Hildibrand from FFXIV turn into a recurring character offering players comedic sidequests.

Also to go along with the_sun_king adding FFXIV Cid, FFXIV Wedge and Biggs are members of the Garlond Ironworks (Cid's engineering guild).
Notorious_Biggs_Image.png

Junahu

Mog the Moogle. Crops up virtually every time a game features Moogles, and who doesn't like Moogles?

dorkkaos

You missed XIV's Cid nan Garlond.

You mean Cid nan Garnier, dat hair is too nice!

On topic: My favorite recurring is definitely Gilgamesh. I love his cameo in 9 especially, and the Excalipoor and Excalibur 2. Also, in FFXIV, too good. In 12, his quest was pretty awesome and trying to steal his gear for my Samurai Vaan!

I'd say though, my absolute favorite is in FF8 when Seifer cuts odin in half only for Gilgamesh to instawin you the fight. Awesome!

Desi

IX Cid is best Cid. But I am a lover of Goblin. Especially with the perfect incarnation of XI. Yeah it may not count but fuck it.

Can I say Chocobos? =X

That's the only one I care about tbh. I guess Moogles are helpful and Cid is always interesting to see, but I could play a game without them. I just need Chocobos.
It would have to be a specific chocobo and I think the only one that has made reappearances is Boko/Boco. Not sure of the name of the chocobo in the dungeon games

Mog the Moogle. Crops up virtually every time a game features Moogles, and who doesn't like Moogles?
I forgot about Mog being recurring. The first one I think of is IX's because it was my first, but VI's is pretty important.

You forgot the greatest mime of all time, Gogo.

Amano_Gogo.jpg

I forgot Gogo showed up in V first. This game has a lot more recurring characters than I realized.

SheHateMe

Gilgamesh is the best. Yeah, Cid is cool and a staple and all that but Gilgamesh wins due to actually (well, probably) being the same character from FFV that just now wanders between worlds having goofy adventures and trying to get a good weapon collection going.

Yup. Gilgamesh is the bee's knees.

Not a single mention of the most Broken/overpowered Cid.....shame!

Final Fantasy Tactics Cid

Final Fantasy Tactics also has other recurring characters.....but those would be potential spoilers?

batbeg

I always loved seeing Stiltzkin in Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. His traveling rogue guidance always had me convinced it was the same character in both games lol.

389132-cactuar_beams.jpg

he's not a monster, he's just a regular dude trying to get by, he just happens to look like a cactus. he doesn't fight because he wants to, he fights because he must. truly deep

for real, tho, my favorite recurring character is cid, and my favorite incarnation of cid is FFVIIs. not a real inspired choice but cid from vii is my favorite FF character so I gotta go with him.

Zee-Row

Banned
Not a single mention of the most Broken/overpowered Cid.....shame!

Final Fantasy Tactics Cid

Final Fantasy Tactics also has other recurring characters.....but those would be potential spoilers?

I must have beaten this game a million times and didn't know Orlandeau was a Cid!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gilgamesh is of course the favorite but I also dig Typhon/Chupon, who has been in a few FFs (summon in 7, XIII-2 arena monster, 14).

Top Bottom