• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

I could have sworn that Sony said some months ago that only 1GB will be reserved for OS functionality.Was that just a rumor?

Rumor. We all just assumed "they shouldn't need more than 1GB", but I don't know of any official word on that.

To be fair, there isn't any official confirmation of the EG rumor yet either. Which they are posting as sure fact.

Infamous looks great

ani-pics-5-15.gif

Satchel

Banned
3GB+ seems like an exuberant amount of RAM for the OS features they have announced. It seems they're intent to see what OS features stick on Microsoft's system, copy the successful ones and perhaps reduce the OS footprint down the line.

Microsoft said their OS doesn't need 3GB at the moment, but they reserved that much space to be able to expand OS featureset in the future (unlike 360, where the 32MB left them with no room to move). Which means both consoles could do some pretty cool shit in the background years from now and if they can't come up with anything cool they can make more space for games.

Either way, 5GB on both system is like 12 times more than the space available to PS3 developers. Plenty enough to fit game logic and assets far, far beyond last gen.

Thing is, DDR3 is better for OS related stuff.

velociraptor

A huge chunk of that 3.5GB is reserved for "future" use. The whole partychat debacle on the PS3 has clearly freaked Sony out and they rather be on the safer side. I wouldn't be surprised if only half of that number would be used for OS purposes right now.
Still too high. IMO, should be limited to 2.5GB max. That sounds more than enough. My Windows 7 PC runs under 2.5GB and can do hundreds of things more complex than the PS4.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why would virtual memory be limited to anything but HD space? Its a fucking page file.

Once again I get the distinct feeling DF doesn't actually have a damn clue what they are talking about, or more likely simply doesn't care so long as what they say sounds suitably controversial to draw clicks.

Spinluck

I'm trying to wonder why in fucks name would Sony need to set aside that much memory for the OS. Will it go down with updates and whatnot- If true?

Danneee

How can people take DF seriously when they change the damn article all the time. Just trying to get more hits or what?

Here's how I understand all of this, someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

Word got out that devs have less than 8GB of RAM to use, but exact numbers were unclear for about two days. Now it seems like this 4.5 number is set in stone + some "extra".

Some people don't care, as they think it's still more than enough. Some people are upset OS allocation is so high. Xbox fanboys are frothing and jacking off.

Is that an accurate summary?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So basically they have 3 different sources for the same article and each source says different things.
Ok...

From what I have read it seems all sources have indicated 4.5GB for games.

The confusion is surrounding this 'flex' memory, which is what DF have looked to clarify this morning with this update.

4.5 GB of RAM is more than enough for 1080p games. It's nothing to worry about.

4.5 GB of RAM of which a substantial amount goes to the gpu. Still superior to the shitfest that is Xbone I guess (latency wise) but why does Sony need so much memory for the OS. I thought this was gonna be a gaming machine.

Sony should really respond quickly to this mess.

Still too high. IMO, should be limited to 2.5GB max. That sounds more than enough. My Windows 7 PC runs under 2.5GB and can do hundreds of things more complex than the PS4.

According to shinobi, that's exactly how it is.
4.5gb games
1gb reserved for developers or OS
1.5gb for the OS
1gb reserved for the OS

Vashetti

Banned

Word got out that devs have less than 8GB of RAM to use, but exact numbers were unclear for about two days. Now it seems like this 4.5 number is set in stone + some "extra".

Some people don't care, as they think it's still more than enough. Some people are upset OS allocation is so high. Xbox fanboys are frothing and jacking off.

You forgot about idiots cancelling their pre-orders when it's likely they have little knowledge about how RAM works.

No developers have complained about this, I'm inclined to take their word more seriously than posters on here.

4.5 GB of RAM of which a substantial amount goes to the gpu. Still superior to the shitfest that is Xbone I guess (latency wise) but why does Sony need so much memory for the OS. I thought this was gonna be a gaming machine.

instant game to facebook swapping....

Kouriozan

Why does it decrease everyday? That means next week it'll be 1GB + 64 MB of "flexible memory".
Pre-order cancelled!
Joking :)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Alot of it is probably for that constant 15 minutes of recorded video.

I would expect that to take some ram

iceatcs

Yeah pretty much, and a Xbox fan has a massive dildo.

Sony should really respond quickly to this mess.

why is lower latency ddr3 a shitfest latency wise?

Violater

You missed the last thread? Pre orders cancelled, people going loco, it was rather entertaining.
I just thought most of it was creepy, as I am sure this will soon become.
In general I feel the same. I go to quite a few forums and the consensus seems to be 'no fuss'.
I will take a wait and seee aproach.
Well, a lot of people (me included) used to see potential for richer games on the PS4, based on the assumption that more RAM would be available to games.

If the game devs are all ok with this, I suppose it won't be a real problem. It's just a matter of having less ammunition for the console wars.

I will admit I thought it would be at least 6gb for games, ohh well they are the engineers and devs who are we to argue.

This is not as bad as some people claim imo:

1. All multiplatform games will be designed around 5GB of RAM (even if PS4 had more).

2. Propably no first party title would have used more than 5GB in a significant way for the next few years.

3. The current OS is using 1.5 GB. The additonal memory is reserved for possible, additonal features. This is probably very different compared to Microsoft (they are using 3GB from the beginning) and gives Sony more flexibility, because they don't have to use this reserved amount and could give them to games if it makes sense.

ReaperXL7

If people are so worried about this just tweet John Blow, I bet he would have an answer. Hes not one to hold back on commentary, and I doubt ram useage is a forbidden topic. I just dont see the issue when every dev who has said anything about the console seems satisfied.

A huge chunk of that 3.5GB is reserved for "future" use. The whole partychat debacle on the PS3 has clearly freaked Sony out and they rather be on the safer side. I wouldn't be surprised if only half of that number would be used for OS purposes right now.
If a huge chunk of those ram is just doing nothing until they think of future use to keep parity with xb1, then you'd think they go for the exact 5+3 split rather than actually crippling their games of 500mb ram less than xb1 game ram. And after all the talk about being a simple architecture, now they have flexible ram which I have no idea what it is other than seemingly complicate things. I mean, what's the advantage of flexible ram? What does it used for etc.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
If people are so worried about this just text John Blow, I bet he would have an answer. Hes not one to hold back on commentary, and I doubt ram useage is a forbidden topic. I just dont see the issue when every dev who has said anything about the console seems satisfied.

Such as that one thread a few days ago

Satchel

Banned
You forgot about idiots cancelling their pre-orders when it's likely they have little knowledge about how RAM works.

No developers have complained about this, I'm inclined to take their word more seriously than posters on here.

The overreactions are only happening because of the initial circle jerking and fanboy garbage that took place when 8GB Of GDDR5 was initially revealed. Then the trolls took a shit on the Xbox One and its 5/3 split.

Those same folks clearly feel like they have a bit of egg on their face.

4.5GB (5) is still a metric fucktonne of RAM for gaming. Wish people would realize that.

I'm glad both these companies are allocating so much RAM to the OS. Wish Nintendo had done the same. A true multitasking OS needs a lot of RAM.

All the extra stuff interests me not at all...I just want something plays games. I don't want a blooming PC with all the associated tedium

Why would they make a statement? This whole circlejerk has been brewed and propagated by a bunch of angry nerds with an axe to grind who have never written a single line of code in their lives. These are the folks have been waiting for some sort of counter to the PS4/Cerny hype train since pre-E3 and they all jumping on board on this trainwreck in the making.

I would just love for one of these "masters of game engineering" to explain to me how they would use the extra 2GB of RAM in their game code and how not having it (if this whole thing is even factual) would affect a game's fidelity or overall development.

I agree, they don't need to make a statement, but they have been very upfront about all things PS4 and been very quick to correct any misreporting or errors in reporting, so if they suddenly decide to not comment on this/clear up any misreporting, it pretty much confirms the story.

does it matter in the long run? Not really. Just like MS, Sony are taking sensible steps to ensure their OS has enough ram for future proofing and ensure that we aren't left with slow, laggy messes like we are now. Sony especially will be more aggressive on this front after this generation saw them left behind in terms of features. They won't allow that to happen again and ultimately it benefits us the most. If they can steal/borrow cool features from MS and vice versa, the consumer wins.

Man you guys are going off..

*gets popcorn*

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

The thing is we don't know if it's too high, because we don't know what the future might bring. Maybe a few years from now some new revolutionary input device will be made, something that changes the whole landscape of videogames. But it needs x amount of RAM to operate. Sony would be kicking themselves if they couldn't hop on that boat, because of RAM limitations. This was what basically what happened with the partychat. I agree with you, it fuckin sucks, because for me personally only the gaming side interests me. Every resource of the machine not used for gaming is a loss for me. But I do understand the PS4 is not only made for me, so nothing else to do then wait it out and hope they use the extra resources for gaming.

According to shinobi, that's exactly how it is.
4.5gb games
1gb reserved for developers or OS
1.5gb for the OS
1gb reserved for the OS

If it is like this, whats the problem actually?! It'll be years before they reach the ceiling on the ram. The OS footprint will shrink due to optimizations and more ram will be available for games. The same happened on the PS3, reducing the footprint from 120MB to 50MB. http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/

Its actually one of the reasons later gen PS3 games look better than early gen games.

DedValve

Banned
It went from 5.5 with 1 flexible gig to 4.5 and 512Mb?

fuck you Sony I thought this was supposed to be a game console. I'm buying a wiiu.
lol

hodgy100

I hate these threads. So much FUD, misconceptions, misunderstandings and incorrect information gets passed around.
I await(dread) the first post that states
"this mean ps4 had 0 ram for games before 8gb lololol"
in a serious fashion.

EvB

I see Jonathon Blow has systematically deleted all his own tweets referring to the witness using 5GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom