• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBud360

Now its the time Microsoft. Just announce 12 GIG of RAM and all the bad talk about your hardware will turn into light again!!!!!!!

i think some of those tweets can only be accessed if you have a direct link to them.

for example, i can't find the "the witness wants to use over 5gb right now" tweet in his timeline.

FYI, I found it in his timeline and I do not have a twitter account. Hence my screenshot

Spinluck

well considering people are cumming in their pants to dig at him over these comments, I wouldn't blame him if he did delete them after the internet has lost it's mind yesterday/today. Who wants to deal with that shit.

exhibit A

Yea pretty much. We don't even have any clarification on the matter.

Plus, a console graphic whore should be an oxymoron by now. It's nice to admire what devs can push out of limited hardware, but be real with yourself. If you want the most out of your games from a visual and technical level; you're doing it wrong and it shouldn't be why you like consoles lol.

And WOWLOL at that post that's shitting on Jonathan Blow, what the hell lol.

pixlexic

Banned
well considering people are cumming in their pants to dig at him over these comments, I wouldn't blame him if he did delete them after the internet has lost it's mind yesterday/today. Who wants to deal with that shit.

I think it is more that people who do software development are all wondering how .. of what he has showed.. could that possibly use 5 gigs when games like last of us and gears of war used less than 512.

This thread got sad really quickly. It's like Xbox peeps have this pent up anger about the past 2 months and it's time to party like it's 1999 because the PS4 ram is now equal in quantity to the XB1, while ignoring the fact that there is still a major deficit in the all important bandwidth department.

I say this as someone who is likely buying an XB1 this fall, and not the PS4. :p

DirtRiver

This just won't die will it?

Madness train, here we go. Can't wait for the thread title change that will inevitably happen.

kitch9

Banned
Will the OS be stable and quick? Will the UI be fresh and easy to use? Will it upgrade over time like the 360?

The OS is currently not finished due to the last minute addition of a large amount of ram.

When it is finished I'm sure it will be and I'm sure any ram that it doesn't need will be handed over to the developers who have been making games based on the fact there has been less ram available anyway.

If the PS4 had 3GB of Gddr5 for games compared to the Xboxes 5GB of ddr3 the PS4 would still be the preferable machine even if any of that did not happen.

Croyles

Isn't this a good thing? Keep enough RAM reserved to implement new and exciting features, make more RAM available for developers as time goes on and the OS footprint becomes more efficient.

And before anyone asks, I wasn't one of the people making fun of XB1's 3gb OS. :)

Alot of it is probably for that constant 15 minutes of recorded video.

I would expect that to take some ram

Great. Waste valuable RAM on a stupid feature for the "let's play" crowd.

Why can't it be 1 gig for OS ... 7 for games. That'll last you a lot longer. Don't care about stupid music/video/social garbage they'll surely introduce and needs all the additional memory.

I really hope this story is bullshit.

Mung

This thread got sad really quickly. It's like Xbox peeps have this pent up anger about the past 2 months and it's time to party like it's 1999 because the PS4 ram is now equal in quantity to the XB1, while ignoring the fact that there is still a major deficit in the all important bandwidth department.

I say this as someone who is likely buying an XB1 this fall, and not the PS4. :p

Pretty much.

The xbox has had soooo many bad threads that some are looking for a chance to revel in ps4 bad news... you could taste the enjoyment!

Truer words have never been spoken.

Except he hasn't. Why lie?
capturemrua2.jpg

Wait, you mean Blowgate/Jon180 wasn't real?

1100.gif

Hmm, that Twitter looks German though. Probably fake propaganda or something.

SHarris78

Looks like my decision to upgrade my PC now instead of buying next gen consoles at launch was a good one. I'm happy to wait a while to see how each launch goes.

SparkTR

From what I gathered from the other thread, this doesn't mean much in the real world. In forum-land fanboys will be raging because they can't stick it to PC and to a lesser extent Xbox fanboys anymore, in reality this is more than enough RAM for good looking games.

CoG

The logical element missing in the EuroGamer article that people should be talking about is that an x86 CPU at present can't have more than 8gb GDDR5, due to 256bit architecture. New higher capacity 8gbit chipset have yet to come to market. This means you can't have 4gb for only tools on dev kits..

x86_64 processors can address up to 16 exabytes of memory though in reality it's lowly petabytes.

FZZ

Banned
Holy shit I just realized RAM is the new "how many polygons is it pushing?"

Which was the new "bits"

Was honestly expecting it to be "teraflops" this gen, but it seems I was tricked.

Vashetti

Banned
Huh? What happened? I wasn't paying attention.

Does PS4 only have 5 gigs of RAM now or what?

It still has 8GB of GDDR5 RAM.

People are confused in that they seemingly thought the console boot up screen would just say "insert disc" and it would go straight to the game.

These aren't purely game consoles anymore, they have to be all-in-one systems that do everything in order to compete.

You'd think people would have learnt this from current-gen.

It happens on both sides, you missed the XB1 threads with Sony fans ragging on its 5GB mem?

Setsuna

If the ps4 is going to have to keep an operating system as well as all the content its promising its going to have to be more than 1GB

windows with a streaming service "twitch" in the background uses 2GB

Nethaniah

This news just keeps on giving, honestly it's not that the next-gen consoles won't do good things with what they got but if they gotta go 8 years like the last generation i foresee alot of issues, i guess we gotta be happy they didn't cut the ram but still so much for the OS part is questionable.

Satchel

Banned

Why can't it be 1 gig for OS ... 7 for games. That'll last you a lot longer. Don't care about stupid music/video/social garbage they'll surely introduce and needs all the additional memory.

The WiiU OS RAM is 1GB. Is that what you want for the PS4?

I don't.

Oh yay, a new thread. Wait, the new source is a guy from B3D based on above post?

And could someone elaborate on what exactly they are on about with there being some sort of limited virtual memory that was being counted?

So are they saying that OS reserves are 3GB of physical RAM, game OS has 4.5GB of physical RAM, with potential to access 512MB of additional physical RAM?

It still boggles the mind that Sony would be adding $45 in BoM per unit to increase the game RAM by 1GB and essentially use the rest for increasing OS reserves.

Garjon

Because, what from what I've read on here from insiders, the amount of RAM is simply not a limiting factor at this point in time.

Besides, the amount is not finalised anyway, it can quite easily go up or down from this point onwards and the OS will certainly become more RAM-efficient after launch.

fertygo

I don't get this memory thing, but would be cool if they put some insurance for Vita off-play.
Looks like my decision to upgrade my PC now instead of buying next gen consoles at launch was a good one. I'm happy to wait a while to see how each launch goes.

Its not like those launch game gonna use 7GB of RAM either bro lulz.

Loris146

Oh yay, a new thread. Wait, the new source is a guy from B3D based on above post?

And could someone elaborate on what exactly they are on about with there being some sort of limited virtual memory that was being counted?

So are they saying that OS reserves are 3GB of physical RAM, game OS has 4.5GB of physical RAM, with potential to access 512MB of additional physical RAM?

WTF? Is this real?

It happens on both sides, you missed the XB1 threads with Sony fans ragging on its 5GB mem?

I guess I never cared, so yeah. But there is a difference IMO. Microsoft have made it very clear they intend to use those 3 gigs for windows and all sorts of other stuff. Sony hasn't, and while I'm sure their OS is gonna be robust too, I cannot fathom it using 3.5 gigs. I believe Sony is being hyper careful right now, and just limiting launch games to 4.5 gigs, which is still massive with the bandwidth they have, and in the future they'll likely give back a gig of that RAM to games. In other words, these numbers are temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom