• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the idea of 1GB came from people doubling an earlier rumor of 512MB from the original 4GB.
what exactly was the previous assumption? the full 8?

i probably assumed 2GB at most, personally.
I think the assumption of 1GB was probably unrealistic.

I personally think 3GB would be wasteful.

1.5GB to 2GB seems like it would provide sufficient leeway for future improvement, imo.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can we get some clarification on the consensus here... been trying to sift through the hyperbole and fast moving thread, but it seems 2 GB for the os? 6 for the developer one way or the other? Basically if they have to they can dip into the 3 GB footprint? Or am I completely off on that?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

1.5GB to 2GB seems like it would provide sufficient leeway for future improvement, imo.

My view on that is ultimately this would be where they know they'll get, but for now they're giving extra to be safe... The ps3 came out, you couldn't access the xmb in game, early games already used too much ram to back track on how much is reserved for the OS, so they had to find other ways to cut it down to fit in in-game xmb. If I remember right this is why ultimately games couldn't have in game music, some games wouldn't run properly if it was accessible across the board.

Reserving a larger number is a fail safe for this particular issue. They can find out how to optimize it, get the footprint down, find out what features should stay or go, and for the time being, if a developer HAS to dip into that they can/should be able to...

Again I may be completely off on this, just makes more sense that way.

edit- sorry double post.

Here's VGLeaks from January this year:
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled-2/
4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
3.5 available to games (estimate)

I'm pretty sure this is where the 512MB OS derives from. And considering VGLeaks record, was probably accurate at the time.

And I assume PS4Daily - being full of shit, and I believe made by the proprietor of WiiUDaily, which also proved full of shit - simply doubled this value.

Ghazi

Can we get some clarification on the consensus here... been trying to sift through the hyperbole and fast moving thread, but it seems 2 GB for the os? 6 for the developer one way or the other? Basically if they have to they can dip into the 3 GB footprint? Or am I completely off on that?

4.5 available to devs with 512 mb of memory extra that they can request on top of the 4.5 GB. 3.5 GB is dedicated to OS and future OS add ons, the OS footprint will probably decrease as the gen goes on.

That's what I understood from the early pages of the thread, don't know much about what's changed since the updates.

KidBeta

4.5 available to devs with 512 mb of memory extra that they can request on top of the 4.5 GB. 3.5 GB is dedicated to OS and future OS add ons, the OS footprint will probably decrease as the gen goes on.

That's what I understood from the early pages of the thread, don't know much about what's changed since the updates.

atm it seems the rumour is 5GB physical ram, with 512MB page file.

Gskyace

I thought the idea of 1GB came from people doubling an earlier rumor of 512MB from the original 4GB.

So the story came from a X2 theory? :D

(Have to declear that, as far as we know,video recording data is firstly saved in ram,then in HDD after press Share.This is what learned for now. Still need a lot of work to finally confirm this point.)

From my view, the 3GB for OS which we said now, actually contains more data for and from multitask. With 15 min video recording in ram,it's possible to secure the smooth gaming experience not interrupt by those tasks. Still quite reasonable, the size for 15min video is not small if firstly saved in ram, whose resolution should be 720p or above.

If they record the video, whose resolution was below 720p... How to share it to tell the others the console and game is at least visually great? :D Whatever,still be happy they both can recording. And for Xbox one, the kinect voice command for the last 30 minutes sounds great. Hope Ps4 camera got the function with more minutes hold in with it.

Gskyace

Here's VGLeaks from January this year:
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled-2/

I'm pretty sure this is where the 512MB OS derives from. And considering VGLeaks record, was probably accurate at the time.

And I assume PS4Daily - being full of shit, and I believe made by the proprietor of WiiUDaily, which also proved full of shit - simply doubled this value.

I've heard WiiUDaily's fake news. They should be on a international ban list. :D

meora

Banned
PS4 is based on BSD right?

I'm wondering if the flex space is from a Swap partition. Which means it would be restricted to similar bandwidth to HDDs or flash memory.

Depends.

Signicantly less RAM for games than previously assumed based on the "sources" in this thread. But slightly more than the DF article claimed.
So 1 GB less than the 7 GB originaly thought is "significantly less", but 1 GB more than the DF report of 5 GB report is "slightly more"?

Depends.

Signicantly less RAM for games than previously assumed based on the "sources" in this thread. But slightly more than the DF article claimed.

6GB is 85.7% of 7GB, 14.3% less.
6GB is 120% of 5GB, 20% more.

If you think 14.3% is "significant" while you consider 20% "slight", then you need to learn how to fucking do math.

KidBeta

I'm wondering if the flex space is from a Swap partition. Which means it would be restricted to similar bandwidth to HDDs or flash memory.

512MB of the flex space is practically swap from what I can see (hence Sony talking about using BSD's virtual memory interface) the other 512MB seems to be in the physical ram.

Barzul

You mean Tiled Resources?

AMD's GCN architecture has built-in hardware support for this feature so both PS4 and Xbox One will be great at it. On PC you need DX11.2 and Win8.1 to use it even if you're already using a GCN GPU.
Yeah that's it, I was way off on what it was called. Thanks for the explanation.

Yoday

I keep seeing BSD among all of this RAM talk. What the hell is BSD? Every time I see it my mind instantly goes to Blue Screen of Death.

So has this been proven false? The title change suggests it's not accurate/been proven false, but I'm not seeing any definitive quotes or statements tin the OP.

Billen

Banned
This thread has some people that have a firm grip of some of the underlying technologies being discussed, some good and some very bad guess working and a lot of people from Insane Fanboy Posse.

Fucking framerates how do they work?

Saberus

BruceLeeRoy, Kagari and Thuway have confirmed 6 gigs for games. Take that as you will.

hardvibes

This thread has some people knowing what they do, some good and some very bad guess working and a lot of people from Insane Fanboy Possee.

Fucking framerates how do they work?
tumblr_m4ju4mImRB1qcb58yo1_500.gif

KoopaTheCasual

So has this been proven false? The title change suggests it's not accurate/been proven false, but I'm not seeing any definitive quotes or statements tin the OP.

The OP hasn't updated the post since the start of the thread but a whole lot of insider "information" went down since the beginnning. Basically this covers most of it until page 50 or so:

1) Digital Foundry / Eurogamer claimed in an article that 4.5 GB is available for development at launch, with 512 MB / 1 GB as flexible memory

2) Various, unbanned GAF insiders have said "That article is incorrect"

3) Thuway, Famousmortimer, BruceLeeRoy, and Verendus (all unbanned) have all heard "The memory situation on PS4 is ideal and has exceeded expectations in every way." That should mean that games at launch won't be affected by any kind of restrictions in place

4) Thuway stated that some games currently in development are using 6 GB of RAM, but also implied some form of RAM restrictions at launch is not completely out of the equation

5) Kagari (has connections to Square Enix) also agreed with the 6 GB claim

6) VBlank Entertainment (Retro City Rampage) has denied that Sony is reserving 3.5 GB of RAM for the OS

7) NOTHING is confirmed until either Sony states something or launch RAM allocations are revealed in some way

Shin

Banned
HzmdTqG.jpg

Considering the first waves of games already looking like this I think we're good.

Especially when you keep in mind that:
- game engines might not be optimized yet
- developers don't have final dev-kit
- useful features might be added (we can't predict the future)
- what you might not be interested in or use someone else might
- OS footprint might shrink throughout the years

Be it 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 or 7GB that's allocated for games currently or in the future, it's more than any PC game uses currently and that all while running at the highest level.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This isn't true.

Their eSram solution should be blazingly fast. Depending on how it's used and where I can see games being rendered at a higher resolution (pretty sure a 1080p framebuffer can fit into that 32MB) or can be used as a quick and easy way make up for any fillrate heavy transparency issues. It's also much more flexible versus the 360 eDram solution. Actually designed similarly to WiiU's. Using it as a scratchpad for some notable hardware deficits.

I'm just more centered on the cost of it. It just seems like a very expensive solution.

Except it isn't. Blazingly fast. To have embedded ram still less than the bandwidth of the PS4 external ram is bewildering.

Of course you'll get big advantages from sitting in the esram freeing up the main ram bus, but it still seems a bit...slow.

I'm looking forward to what happens next. Eg stacked ram, huge bandwidth etc. will a leap in tech encourage Nintendo or MS to shorten this gen to try and dig themselves out of a hole?

KOHIPEET

Let's view thus whole ram topic from another angle. PS4 is easy to program for isn't it? This results in launch games that utilize the hardware more efficiently, i.e. better looking, performing games. What if sony just want to ensure games will improve dramatically over years.

c0de

6GB is 85.7% of 7GB, 14.3% less.
6GB is 120% of 5GB, 20% more.

If you think 14.3% is "significant" while you consider 20% "slight", then you need to learn how to fucking do math.

right but that's not what is important. exchange GB with MB it'd still be 20% but generally it would be way too low for games. Even if 20% more both systems have "enough" free ram - this is important (by now).

right but that's not what is important. exchange GB with MB it'd still be 20% but generally it would be way too low for games. Even if 20% more both systems have "enough" free ram - this is important (by now).
.........what are you trying to say?

c0de

Let's view thus whole ram topic from another angle. PS4 is easy to program for isn't it? This results in launch games that utilize the hardware more efficiently, i.e. better looking, performing games. What if sony just want to ensure games will improve dramatically over years.

graphically? then you have to do more than just increase ram. more ram can make games look richer , yes, but they don't double the ram again.

Ok, reading the latest posts of this thread and after all the latest 6GB rumbling, what is not clear, and what is important, is how many of those GBs are physical memory and how many virtual, because it still could be 4.5 physical and 0.75 + 0.75 virtual.

c0de

.........what are you trying to say?

All this talk of "better", greater", "less"... Why all these comparisons regarding ram? Both systems offer *enough* ram currently to play with. Devs don't have to get headaches again because the amount of ram is a problem for what they want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom