• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FE (Fire Emblem Wii U)'s Kiria gets new, more covered outfit for final JP release

Crocodile

4344530.jpg

I never really closely followed the careers of Aguillera or Spears or whatnot when they were preforming regularly but it was outfits like these that I remember them wearing during many of their performances. I don't think this a particularly big deal (though it feels like the changes were half-assed from a modeling perspective - I guess they ran out of time to put more effort into it?) but I'm not sure I get "good, the original design was stupid!" reactions. Wasn't that the point as a pop star who often wear dumb outfits?

_woLf

Since this is a change for the Japanese version of the game as well as likely the NA one, I'm perfectly fine with it. And the new one looks better.

Consistency is good.

I generally don't mind racier outfits but you eventually hit diminishing returns where it just looks silly. Its always interesting to see how designs change throughout the development process. Kinda reminds me of the Wii RPG Arc Rise Fantasia when one of the character's top changed before it launched in any region.
e5n2d.jpg

Jiraiza

Whoa, something got spit off.

Related: There was actually a retailer pre-order item replaced due to Tsubasa's partial nudity.

The original pre-order item at WonderGOO was this face towel:

Which they hastily replaced to this after sending out an apology:

I am outraged.

Though I'd take a toi8 version of the original face towel over the in-game CG. smh

I'm ok with this, but the game is too weird for me anyways.

Hearing that Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei were going to cross over I expected something badass.

Who indeed.

(I don't care anymore. Nintendo gonna Nintendo)

It wasn't that long ago they put out their 1000 year old loli dragon character, so I don't think theres anything to worry about.

The OG outfit is tasteless and not to the preferences of most people here obviously, but the new one is straight garbage. You could cover her up some more without it looking so shitty

Okay got a good picture. Something closer to this would have been better I think, same idea but less BDSM queen-ish.

Idk, they can cover away as long as it's the same across the versions (like NoA is gonna let that happen anyways), it just looks kinda bad now imo.

Clov

Okay got a good picture. Something closer to this would have been better I think, same idea but less BDSM queen-ish.

Idk, they can cover away as long as it's the same across the versions (like NoA is gonna let that happen anyways), it just looks kinda bad now imo.

I wouldn't have minded this approach. I'm not just saying that because I like Makoto, either; it's a cool looking outfit! It would have taken more work than the quick-fix pants, though.

Steejee

I think that zipper bikini was available in Saints Row 3...

New outfit looks better. The original was really jarring to me in the Treehouse video and seemed insanely out of place.

I wouldn't have minded this approach. I'm not just saying that because I like Makoto, either; it's a cool looking outfit! It would have taken more work than the quick-fix pants, though.
Maybe, I'm mostly talking in regards to the lower half, which would have more or less involved just changing the panties to shorts.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
oh man, I forgot it was opposite day again. Yeah man, the second one looks totally better. I love character designs where they cover up more skin.

Griss

Having a design that makes me roll my eyes doesn't really make my experience any better than one that doesn't. Even designs like Cammy in Street Fighter where she's a serious, non-sexual character who fights in a thong for no reason just seem cheesy to me because I'm fully aware of the cynical reason they were made. We don't lose anything by developers stepping away from this immature "SEXY SEX GROWN-UP MATURE SEX" mentality in games that are otherwise fairly straightforward.

In something like DOA where they're going "yeah our game is dumb and stupid" then it's whatever, I don't really care about those games. I don't approve but I don't care about them to begin with. But having stuff like this in games where it's not the intended goal is just jarring, frustrating, and doesn't add anything.

As to the bolded, you basically have the opposite reaction to me, then. I love that stuff, and rather than roll my eyes I say 'what the fuck' and get a good chuckle out of it.

L95

TBH, I thought her outfit didn't look good at all in the first place, adding pants didn't really help.

LPride

Banned
Is this needless sexualization? I don't know the character.

Sexualization isn't bad, really. Sex is natural. As long as it doesn't become objectification.

Kiria is not a person, shes already an object created by Atlus to dance on strings through the plot and settings Altus has also created. Fictional characters are not human beings, they do not have feelings or agency, and we do not have to worry about treating them as such.

rhandino

Banned
I remember you posting that, but I thought it was an alternate costume then. Aren't the screenshots in the OP from the Reincarnation cutscene seen in the Treehouse trailer? The music cutscenes seem like they're pre-rendered to me - would alternate costumes show?
Well, no I don't think that costumes will affect the prerendered cutscenes... I bet they saw the mess that was the change of Lyn (Xenoblade X) and some of the more risque designs of FE: Fates so they decided to change it at the last minute.

I actually don't expect the pant-less version of the costume to make it into the game and that's OK tbh, it was incredible tacky tbh
imho

OmegaDL50

It's a downgrade for me. I don't see anything wrong with the crotch less pants or whatever you call it: she's a pop star, it's a concert, the outfits are supposed to be insane and sexuality should get thrown in your face. I grew up with Britney Spears dominating the world though so I don't know what it's like now.

Regardless, it's their call to make and they want to sell their game. If they want to change some things in order to make it more palatable to mainstream tastes, I say go for it. I'm still going to play it.

Besides, the game is looking really good. I hope it ends up being great and that people actually pay ATTENTION and don't write it off because of "weeb shit" or whatever. I've seen way too many people who could be into a game of this type dismiss it entirely for its aesthetic.

Sure enough. I've seen people written off games because of some paper thin excuse of "too anime looking" Whatever that is supposed to mean.

I mean as you said this isn't this character's regular outfit and is only used during the Idol / Concert sequences.

So I wonder if the detractors for the old design are actually considering the setting and tone for the game and the reason why she's dress as such instead of assuming that is what she wears all the time during the entire game.

Really...? I did not know that. Whats the point in adding sexualized stuff to begin with? Like, who does this cater to? Why even bother changing the outfit, if the rating and sexualized tone of the game remains the same? I dont get it... *shrugs*

The Idol segments in game. There are concert events, the characters on stage have some elaborate costumes as such. This isn't the normal clothing, the character only transforms into this outfit for the Idol concert stuff.

I think my above paragraph pretty much justifies my stance that some of the reactions in this thread are stemming on just the costume itself and have little bearing on the what and why in the first place.

So far it looks like most of the people mentioning "SJW censorship" are just mocking people who cared about censorship in other games. Stay classy. The zipper was stupid so at least that's gone.

Lunar15

Always the chance the artist just liked this design more. I mean, you can get bikinis in the game for pete's sake.

Puruzi

Banned
So far it looks like most of the people mentioning "SJW censorship" are just mocking people who cared about censorship in other games. Stay classy. The zipper was stupid so at least that's gone.

Noticed it too

Always the people that are for censorship that instigate things

SoulUnison

Banned
Wow, the reincarnation outfit for Kiria looks so much better...

BEFORE (During the Treehouse Presentation)
iosirIP.png

AFTER (Overview trailer)
GIPXYf1.png

slay a bit.

Way better.
Seems more like a character with a shred of dignity that I can take slightly more seriously.

Peff

The original trailer with that costume was just a concept video guys, they never promised to deliver anything like that.

Y75WRlJ.gif

OmegaDL50

Way better.
Seems more like a character with a shred of dignity that I can take slightly more seriously.

Are you are aware that this is only worn for Idol concert sequences right. It's not like that is her regular costume worn at all times.

I'm going to go so far to say based on several posts in this topic, some of the context is being lost, but you admitted you don't care so I wonder if this is just a cursory reaction and not from any general understanding on what the game is about.

In fact I wonder how many people in this topic even wonder what the game is actually about and not just saying their piece just for the sake of saying it on initial impression of outfit change, without proper context.

You may not care, but the context is important.

Top Bottom