• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FE (Fire Emblem Wii U)'s Kiria gets new, more covered outfit for final JP release

Peff

That's the thing though. It makes sense in this context because she only wears this when she performs in the Idol Concert thing.

These aren't her regular clothes she wears when not performing. Characters do these elaborate transformation sequences during the Idol Concert stuff.

I'm still waiting for someone to answer the question I brought up in my previous post too.

Maybe you should answer the question of who exactly is forcing the Atlus team to make a game about Idols at gunpoint first.

Nephix

The focus of both outfits is supposed to be the corset. In the before, the costume is haphazard because it's drawing the eyes away to the garders, the skin, the crotch zipper (lol), the boots. In the new costume, it's focused square on the corset again. The real problem is that with this redesign, she should have different boots because the belt loops (which were formally garders) blend too much with the pants, which are the same color as the boots. Her lower half needs more color.

But yes, the pants look better than the zipper crotch.

Real talk, even skimpy outfits at Idol concerts aren't Zipper crotch bad.

I get what you're saying and I agree, the crotch zipper is just awful.
A pair of loose-fitting purple pants and a corset feels really weird though.

This thread is actually pretty tame overall, nice to see.

If they were gonna make this change I wish it was so rushed and poorly done, but it's fine I guess.

OmegaDL50

Maybe you should answer the question of who exactly is forcing the Atlus team to make a game about Idols at gunpoint first.

I never said anything of the sort. Nor do I appreciate the insinuation or words put into my that Atlus should make any changes at gunpoint.

But if you intend to take the point of my question out if it's intended context to twist it's meaning to make such statement for the sake of argument, then you probably weren't intending to make a reasonable or constructive reply to this discussion to begin with.

Ignored!

Mesoian

The redesign is more akin to Fire Emblem costumes, I think its better.

To be fair, combining costume design these two properties must be damn near impossible. On one hand, you have very conservative medieval garb, only a few hero characters having something that could be considered flashy. On the other side, one of the monsters is a giant multi-headed penis chariot, one is a giant vagina monster.

I don't envy their plight, but i'm eager to see the results.

BEFORE (During the Treehouse Presentation)
iosirIP.png

It kinky. I dig this kinky. But the game is still the game even with a little less kinky. I'm happy to stay for the kinky but won't leave if no kinky.

To be fair, combining costume design these two properties must be damn near impossible. On one hand, you have very conservative medieval garb, only a few hero characters having something that could be considered flashy. On the other side, one of the monsters is a giant multi-headed penis chariot, one is a giant vagina monster.

I think with the male protagonist they nailed it, it looks like a more flashier Ike
tumblr_lga2qb9D5l1qh2xizo1_500.jpg

img_teaser_thumb.jpg

Paracelsus

You can tell the reason behind it from the fact it's high waist.

I'm surprised they didn't turn those suspenders into full blown overalls.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
New outfit looks better aside from the super lazy effort they put into doing it, lol.

At least make it look like it fits in the game!
This is actually my problem I have with the new outfit.
Have her wear a full armor body suit as idol..I don't care.

BUT MAKE IT LOOK GOOD. It looks like a hasty photoshop ~_~

OmegaDL50

It is a precarious situation. I mean considering the tone of SMT in general with it's aspect of demons and the occult, and the there is the Idol culture thing too.

I mean is it too much to ask to settle for an M rating despite the Japanese version having a CERO rating of B.

I am not one that goes against the designers vision for a game, but if they decide to change it because they feel it might get a public outlash when with the thought it mind the game has plans for a localization.

Still the designers are entitle to make whatever changes they want without risk to their own artistic integrity and original vision. It's just something I wonder in the context of the game and it's setting and the type of things people expect from both the SMT and FE franchises.

While naturally this isn't a FE or SMT game and has become something of it's own design. It makes you wonder how they will balance the post-apocalyptic Tokyo, the Demons, and the Idol culture without making some questionable design decisions that some people make take an affront too.

If it elicits a provocative reaction from some folks, I suppose that is to be expected.

Christ the discussion and arguements have really gone downhill.

Strawmen make me laugh. But strawmen against non-existent arguements make me really laugh out loud.

Also nice Undertale avatar... For some reason that's important now?

mugwhump

In terms of reducing sexualization, it's an improvement. In terms of just looking good it's awfully lazy. Seems like the sole change they made was slapping on a pair of shorts and recoloring.

It's funny, CERO might even be stricter than the ESRB.

Peff

what the hell?

Christ the discussion and arguements have really gone downhill.

Strawmen make me laugh. But strawmen against non-existent arguements make me really laugh out loud.

Sigh. This really isn't that hard to understand, but let's try again:

Context doesn't matter. This isn't a real life person. It doesn't matter that she has to wear to honor her late grandmother or that her manager forces her to wear it or whatever, she was still wearing a vagina zipper and it looked insanely dumb.

And just as Atlus is free to make vagina zipper-dancing ladies for *reasons*, everybody else is perfectly free to laugh at its silliness regardless of whatever they are, much like people do with 1000-year-old dragons.

Jiraiza

another victory for glorious SJW-bros

Let's Make Fire Emblem Great Again

A weird statement seeing that they probably aren't going to change stuff like the bikinis and stuff. Uh, probably. I doubt we'll see much of Kiria in that stage outfit anyway.

pic07_l.jpg

#Tsubasa'sTsubasas

Other

It looks like a slapdash last minute change, maybe the previous version wasn't the best of designs but at least it was consistently the same quality and kept the same tone all over, the new version looks like a low quality 4kids edit.

Mesoian

Sigh. This really isn't that hard to understand, but let's try again:

Context doesn't matter. This isn't a real life person. It doesn't matter that she has to wear to honor her late grandmother or that her manager forces her to wear it or whatever, she was still wearing a vagina zipper and it looked insanely dumb.

And just as Atlus is free to make vagina zipper-dancing ladies for *reasons*, everybody else is perfectly free to laugh at its silliness regardless of whatever they are, much like people do with 1000-year-old dragons.

More importantly, they're free to choose to not play it if they find it that offensive. There are other games.

A weird statement seeing that they probably aren't going to change stuff like the bikinis and stuff. Uh, probably. I doubt we'll see much of Kiria in that stage outfit anyway.

pic07_l.jpg

#Tsubasa'sTsubasas

Word. That outfit side, there's WAAAAAAAY skimpier in that thing.

mr2xxx

Banned
I don't get it. If you want to make a game about idols then you know exactly what audience you are pandering to. I wanted to play a Persona x FE game but never imagined that when combining both franchises you would get something I'd be ashamed of playing. Just pander to that audience that would buy a pillow with one of their female leads and forget trying get the other fans that don't want the overly sexualized side.

Peff

More importantly, they're free to choose to not play it if they find it that offensive. There are other games.

Yep. They're even free to mock it AND not buy it at the same time, given that the former is not exactly a particularly straining activity.

Lebon14

Zero effort. Old design > New design. Seriously. Yuck. It could have been replaced by something else if it HAD to be unsexualised, this is just plain bad!!

Mesoian

I don't get it. If you want to make a game about idols then you know exactly what audience you are pandering to. I wanted to play a Persona x FE game but never imagined that when combining both franchises you would get something I'd be ashamed of playing. Just pander to that audience that would buy a pillow with one of their female leads and forget trying get the other fans that don't want the overly sexualized side.

...honestly not sure if you're okay or not okay with this.

OmegaDL50

I mean...

The original was a giant zipper thong. Even if you get the reference, it's still tacky as hell.

Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the zipper part and just paint the whole thing black to make it like a standard bikini bottom instead of doing the photoshop purple color over.

The change isn't so much a big deal as the modicum of effort actually incorporating said change.

Surely there was means to go about this without making the design less cohesive. Maybe it's just an overreaction and all of this is just placeholder asset before the final change is implemented.

I mean they still have access to the source and can patch the game...so I don't see too much of a big deal without changing the intent they tried to make with the design.

mr2xxx

Banned
...honestly not sure if you're okay or not okay with this.

I'm a fan of both serious and I'm dissapointed in the direction of the game. I have no intrest in the idol scene so changing one risqué outfit among the many doesn't really change the direction of the game for me. Since it seems the people that would buy this game, enjoy the idol scene and all it entails then fuck it have at it. Teenage anime girls in underwear saving the world for all.

rhandino

Banned
The real question is how will the costume change effect Maiko's plot.
oQ4oRlZ.gif
Unlikely considering that Maiko is not only older but her backstory is that she was a Gravure Idol and her latest trailer showed her modeling.

imho Kiria previous outfit was very VERY tacky because lol at the zipper tong but I do think they could have done it better if they also changed her garterbelt and made it white

Jarmel

Banned
I mean...

The original was a giant zipper thong. Even if you get the reference, it's still tacky as hell.

That looked like something a costume designer would have actually put together in real life. Singers in the west being in thongs during concerts is like nothing new, at all.

Mesoian

Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the zipper part and just paint the whole thing black to make it like a standard bikini bottom instead of doing the photoshop purple color over.

The change isn't so much a big deal as the modicum of effort actually incorporating said change.

Surely there was means to go about this without making the design less cohesive. Maybe it's just an overreaction and all of this is just placeholder asset before the final change is implemented.

I mean they still have access to the source and can patch the game...so I don't see too much of a big deal without changing the intent they tried to make with the design.

To be fair, if this is an idol game, my thoughts are that it the pose that we can see isn't why the outfit was changed.

But again, who knows, as someone else pointed out, there are skimpier outfits in the game. Hard to say.

We'll find out next week. I'm not super in love with the edit either, I think it's just a quick and dirty thing because, "oh god, we need to get this out and why are we changing anything?"

That looked like something a costume designer would have actually put together in real life. Singers in the west being in thongs during concerts is like nothing new, at all.

...but these aren't singers in the west.

Again, if it was a localization edit, i'd understand, but...it's not.

Edit: You know what really worries me? The idea that outfits might be up-gradable, and in doing so remove elements to show off more skin as a reward and this is a protoform of the base level outfit. I don't want that.

Edit 2: Maybe I do want that. I don't know.

Jarmel

Banned
...but these aren't singers in the west.

Again, if it was a localization edit, i'd understand, but...it's not.

They almost certainly consulted professional designers for the idol industry. Hell the design in the OP looks like something that Sheryl from Macross Frontier would wear, which was again probably consulted by professionals.

Designs like this aren't usually done by the developers/artists but rather consultants.

Mesoian

They almost certainly consulted professional designers for the idol industry. Hell the design in the OP looks like something that Sheryl from Macross Frontier would wear, which was again probably consulted by professionals.

Designs like this aren't usually done by the developers/artists but rather consultants.

I mean...pretty sure it's just a reference to izanami.

latest

Top Bottom