• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear of Diversity Made People More Likely to Vote Trump (The Nation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
This seems as good a place as any to ask. What the heck is going on in Twitter with the "WhiteGenocide" hashtag? Lots of people using it, with bizarre graphics like this one.

There's tons of them. And they seem to be serious. Strawberries? Ducks? I'm so confused.

White people terrified of losing their majority in the US. They think increasing diversity means the eventual extinction of white people. In other words, they are idiot racists.

nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.gif

Brinbe

Always makes me laugh how people, especially on here, never got this. That economic anxiety smfh

Living in one of the diverse places/neighborhoods on Earth, it makes me extremely sad that people are this dumb. Diversity is a fucking magnificent thing.

The author just used the term "Fear of Rising Diversity" on twitter, which better describes what we're seeing here. (Might have been a change in editing.) Tho I agree when talking outside of academic-speak, call it what it is.

Yes, I think this "rising" is right.

For example, let's look at Arizona:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...t-polls-wrong-latino-voters-arizona/94288570/

az_vote_share_final.png

Instead of being a straight line where the more Latino a precinct gets, the higher % Hillary gets, there's actually a dip around like 17-25% that eventually recovers. I've been sort of curious about this for a while. Are these previously super white precincts that have become more diverse and then seen a revolt, of sorts, by higher % Republican voting? This study would sort of go along with that, though I'd like to see 2012 graphed on to this chart.

You also see this in Nevada, also with 2012:

all_candiates-1024x1024.png

Foffy

Banned
Gotta fight your own piece of the pie.

More diversity = more "risk" in their eyes to keep what they have. Hence the persecution complexes many make of themselves, on how the white Christian male is under attack, and that their "ways of life" are under attack. They look for feelings for this, not facts: they assume violence is getting worse, and likely link it to this "problem of diversity."

A more open society, in their eyes, may mean a limited "world" for them and their ideals. Of course, they don't realize they can never hold onto their "world" purely from socioeconomic perspectives.

I do wonder, if such people had to write an essay about their ideals and why they are against diversity, what would it look like? I'm sure it'd be a sour production, but goddamn it would make for a good Twilight Zone script.

Hari Seldon

Man if you wore a tinfoil hat you would really believe that this was being deliberately done by the media to distract everyone from the massive and growing wealth disparity that is only going to get worse due to automation.

Somnid

Those just sound like excuses for racism though, especially when people continue to believe it despite being disproven.

It's both ways. You have people blaming them (manipulators) and you have people who adopt those platforms (the manipulated). What's interesting even once the former goes away these things can propagate on their own, bits of "knowledge" that keep getting repeated even if they are erroneous or complete lies because of the perceived group consensus.

kirblar

Instead of being a straight line where the more Latino a precinct gets, the higher % Hillary gets, there's actually a dip around like 17-25% that eventually recovers. I've been sort of curious about this for a while. Are these previously super white precincts that have become more diverse and then seen a revolt, of sorts, by higher % Republican voting? This study would sort of go along with that, though I'd like to see 2012 graphed on to this chart.
That wouldn't surprise me, we've seen studies that show that introducing non-white people to a monolithic white community results in a super-negative reaction from that community.
Man if you wore a tinfoil hat you would really believe that this was being deliberately done by the media to distract everyone from the massive and growing wealth disparity that is only going to get worse due to automation.
The part about agreeing that "too much power is in the hands of Elites" being a predictor of a Clinton vote was amazing.

Betty

Banned
Wonder what excuse people will use to help him win 2020, hard to use economic anxiety when your guy's now the one responsible for it.

Slayven

The old "it's class not race" spin?

685f28394e2afe6e2a0aab9fd5ad06b7.jpg

Brown people in America always had crumbs, white people just shoot themselves in foot trying to catch up.

Yup, people forget that Trump was really the first explicitly racist Presidential campaign by a major party candidate since before the Great Depression.

Republicans had racial components to their message, but it was never explicit as Trump. Trump primed these voters as the study and article points out to be OK with more racist attitudes.

I also look forward to our more hard Left friends here to respond to this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They do not disclose whether their diversity scale was constructed through simple addition of questions or through alpha-reliability index construction / IRT / etc. Plain English: There's a very specific science to how you combine answers to multiple questions into a single index for how you feel about something, and they don't seem to do it here. Weird things can happen when you just add responses or take the average.

They also present some sort of lowess curved response probability (maybe a logistic regression, it's hard to tell) without presenting density on each answer -- it's possible a limited number of outliers are hijacking the curves based on the data they're presenting. They could also solve this with local error bars on the predictions. Plain english: The kind of estimation they're doing requires that they calculate the risk of defection for each part of their diversity fear scale. If there are few people with low racism or few people with high racism in each of the Romney/Obama 2012 samples, then the estimates they have for risk of defection for people with high/low diversity fear will be very inaccurate.

Finally, if they're using CCAP post-election response data, that's dangerous. There's a well documented phenomenon in polling where people over-report voting for the winner after the election. This happens both because people who didn't vote claim to have supported the winner and because people who are unhappy with having voted for the loser report having voted for the winner. Sometimes the reverse happens but less often. So they'd want to have some kind of voter turnout validation to ensure they're not picking up the argument that the most racist people are most likely to overreport having voted for Trump. Plain English: They should make sure the vote data they're using is actually vote data.

Overall it's a good first pass and I think a pretty good analysis that could be enhanced if they did these few things.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Calling them racists is a bit extreme isn't it?

We should be reaching across the aisle and building bridges, not hurling hurtful labels.

/s

Slayven

Their man been in office 3 months and the only thing other then be racist is try to take away what little health care they got.

What happened to all those new jobs? Trade deals and shit?

Something something economic anxiety

OT: I will never understand the fear of diversity. Never.

These people dont even live in areas where diversity is on the rise. They live in rural America (which Klan terrorism and state government fuckery drove Blacks away from) or an overwhelmingly White suburb and get whipped into a hysteria about minorities taking over the cities.
Pathetic.

hawk2025

They do not disclose whether their diversity scale was constructed through simple addition of questions or through alpha-reliability index construction / IRT / etc.

They also present some sort of lowess curved response probability (maybe a logistic regression, it's hard to tell) without presenting density on each answer -- it's possible a limited number of outliers are hijacking the curves based on the data they're presenting. They could also solve this with local error bars on the predictions.

Finally, if they're using CCAP post-election response data, that's dangerous. There's a well documented phenomenon in polling where people over-report voting for the winner after the election. This happens both because people who didn't vote claim to have supported the winner and because people who are unhappy with having voted for the loser report having voted for the winner. Sometimes the reverse happens but less often. So they'd want to have some kind of voter turnout validation to ensure they're not picking up the argument that the most racist people are most likely to overreport having voted for Trump.

Overall it's a good first pass and I think a pretty good analysis that could be enhanced if they did these few things.

I have similar concerns, but this is far, far better than any other post-mortem I've seen so far, and stark enough that I don't think the model being fit will matter.

That's a big no-shit right there. The scenario is basically:

- predominately white community
- small community
- predominately conservative and listens to most rightwing outlets basically disparaging immigrants and foreign cultures 24/7
- they share with each other their concerns, and repeat for next election

Guess who they'll vote for?

And these communities still outnumber a lot of the multicultural communities in red states, and I assume it's especially the case in a swing state. It's unfortunate that Trump spoke to these very mindsets to invigorate these communities to vote.

CDX

In short, our analysis indicates that Donald Trump successfully leveraged existing resentment towards African Americans in combination with emerging fears of increased racial diversity in America to reshape the presidential electorate,

Not surprised at all. You could clearly see what he was trying to do.

Disappointed he was successfully able to pull it off, but not surprised.

However, we find little evidence to support the idea that concerns about trade deals or a rigged system contributed significantly to a Trump victory. Neither the trade-policy baseline question nor a scale of questions about trade policy predicted Trump support.

If you payed attention to who was supporting him and why they said they were supporting him, this is also not really surprising.

akira28

God. America will climb mountains to jump through flaming hoops to somersault over the fucking moon. All so they can avoid saying "racism".

Isn't it funny how now that all these white people are in danger of losing their healthcare, they've become victims of a con man?

Does anyone notice how mollycoddled the noble, innocent white working class have been? Trump "tricked" them.

Well if Trump was such a great con man, how come he lost the non-white vote so overwhelmingly?

Can we just call a spade a Scary Black Man already? These people voted for Trump because they are racists.

Future

Makes sense. It's why he could get away with dissing Mexicans and whoever. About time we see someone do that in the White House!

Feeding off the hate was the trump winning play. People enjoy racial comfort above personal gain

DOWN

Banned
Diversity in school and work has been one of the best and most important things to me in life. It's disappointing to notice places where it is unwelcome and it was obvious that Trump voters overwhelmingly don't welcome it.

Fucking hell. Diversity is exclusive to POC you know?

LGBTQ, Women, ect?
Racism in this country runs far deeper than homophobia and even misogyny, this country was founded on the notions of white supremacy after all. Doesn't discount other minorities, but racism is just that entrenched and virulent.

Fucking hell. Diversity is exclusive to POC you know?

LGBTQ, Women, ect?

As Kibler said, this is about race, but yes, if you're a racist, it's also very likely you hold abhorrent views about others groups as well. A bigot is a bigot.

(With things like guns and of course abortion playing a big part in many areas of the country as well).

Foffy

Banned

It plays a role, but in some communities, they thing differentiation of humanity is like a disease that will uproot the "order" they adhere to. That's more of a problem via a hierarchy of thought, but that gets compounded by automation.

I remember one of Bernie Sanders' town halls a few months ago where a manufacturing woman was hoping Trump would deport the illegals because they're stealing "her" job. That woman has no fucking clue what's really on the horizon for labor she's involved in. ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I knew it. The exit polls clearly showed that rust belt Clinton voters prioritized the economy and jobs, and rust belt Trump voters prioritized terrorism and immigration, as their more important issues.

But it wasn't politically correct (lol) to point out that racism was the primary factor of voting Trump because few people wanted to admit that yes, so many people are racists and misogynistic (or at least are OK with those things).

royalan

Isn't it funny how now that all these white people are in danger of losing their healthcare, they've become victims of a con man?

Does anyone notice how mollycoddled the noble, innocent white working class have been? Trump "tricked" them.

Well if Trump was such a great con man, how come he lost the non-white vote so overwhelmingly?

Can we just call a spade a Scary Black Man already? These people voted for Trump because they are racists.

Yep.

Its been said for months, but minorities overall suffer worse when the economy struggles. We get ignored when drug epidemics hit our communities. And we are the most underrepresented and unheard by our government.

But as far a demographics go, by and large we didn't vote for Trump.

There's a clear reason for that.

gogosox82

It still appears to be linked to economics as well as race. They are afraid the "other" is going to come and take their already crappy jobs so they vote against diversity. Fear of diversity is only half of the issue. It always comes back to economics in the end.

I mean, this is a pretty stupid thing to say, to be honest. The two issues are separate. Both are important

Brinbe

Exactly. There's a reason why
mARlerP.gif

goes along with
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/even-among-the-wealthy-education-predicts-trump-support/

hawk2025

It still appears to be linked to economics as well as race. They are afraid the "other" is going to come and take their already crappy jobs so they vote against diversity. Fear of diversity is only half of the issue. It always comes back to economics in the end.

The rationalization a racist uses to justify their racism does not "link it" to fuck-all.

The point is that race and economics are tied together. The system doesn't just keep minorities down economically, it also reinforces the idea that black and brown people will take over and rob you of any economic freedom that whites may (or in many cases) or may not have.

"Economic Anxiety" was nothing more than an excuse used by and for racist people who continue to believe their downturn is at the hands of scary black and brown people rather than their betters who rob them blind daily. That doesn't work if they don't have someone to constantly look down on.

See the Lyndon Johnson quote that's been posted a few times.

royalan

Not really, because these people will still vote Republican for the same reasons, even when the economy is in an upswing.

It all comes back to race. Until Democrats figure out how to address race in a way that prevents Republicans from weaponizing it by stoking white fear of the other, then it will never matter what the state of the economy actually is, because until then Republicans will always be able to say, "you would be doing better if it weren't for those people. Your way of life is threatened, and it's because of those people." There will never be a point where that message stops being effective on its own. It HAS to be addressed.

Gallbaro

Banned
Nah it's more like with Kirblar said

NYC has very visible problems with diversity
Quoting to repeat.

NYC is probably the most racist place on Earth, Queens is spectacularly racist on a block by block basis, everyone hates everyone else (I love it).

Then you have the institutionally racist organizations like the historical society. Look at how white the once celebrated village is.

So we need to have white people who identify as white people identify less as white people.

Or am I reading this wrong?

No. I think what is that White Americans who have high levels of ethnic identification have a tendency to support the racist elements of the ethnic identification. It is hard for me to explain, but white Americans are pretty diverse politically and ideologically, and culturally they are not similar to one and other a lot of the time. Basically a white family from a city might be more liberal when it comes to diversity and probably more secular. A white family in a rural area might be a conservative and more religious; less exposed to diversity of any kind. Also blue vs red states.

So there really isn't a white identity that every white American subscribes too. When a white American that tries to subscribe to an identity about their race or culture some will look towards more racist and nationalistic element. It is one of the reasons why you see some waving a Confederate flag.

Hari Seldon

I mean, this is a pretty stupid thing to say, to be honest. The two issues are separate. Both are important

I don't know, I think the powerful deliberately stoking racism among the lower classes to stay or grow their power is pretty common historically. And I think it would be easier to do this today in 2017 than it would have been 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom