• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear of Diversity Made People More Likely to Vote Trump (The Nation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so vindicated that I might just start crying right here at my desk in front of all of my coworkers.

I'm exaggerating, but boy it's nice to not be screaming into the wind anymore. Post-racial, my ass.

EGM1966

So "next they'll be moving in next door and marrying our daughter" was behind it all along?

Depressing but expected. Many people clearly fear change (something that I can only understand to a degree as it makes zero sense currently) and I guess it's amazing how very simple behavioural patterns override common sense, critical thinking and intellectual ability but it's also very depressing.

Everything changes. We know that now. Nothing will last forever including whatever country or nation (or religion) you favour. How I wish people would accept that and stop fighting to stop the clock and preserve some theoretical way of life: it's not happening and it just delays the inevitable while causing grief and upset and cruelty while going so.

Yup, people forget that Trump was really the first explicitly racist Presidential campaign by a major party candidate since before the Great Depression.

Republicans had racial components to their message, but it was never explicit as Trump. Trump primed these voters as the study and article points out to be OK with more racist attitudes.

I also look forward to our more hard Left friends here to respond to this.

Since Goldwater...

I don't know, I think the powerful deliberately stoking racism among the lower classes to stay or grow their power is pretty common historically. And I think it would be easier to do this today in 2017 than it would have been 20 years ago.

And if by this you mean the Republican party that's part and parcel with what this study is about...

If you mean other parties (like your media assertion) I'd ask you to expand upon that before I tackle what you are saying.

Slayven

I don't know, I think the powerful deliberately stoking racism among the lower classes to stay or grow their power is pretty common historically. And I think it would be easier to do this today in 2017 than it would have been 20 years ago.

They are stoking what is already there .

Slayven

Why do white voters get to be coddle? Seriously, folks jump through hoops to explain how they were tricked, or manipulated or fell for a diversion but, the majority of minorities listen to trump and decided "nah b".

They are so fond of bootstraps, why won't they take their own advice and stop voting against themselves?

i-Lo

How much, I ponder, are people of my ethnicity (among other minorities) hated in US. Being model minority is not good enough when you've minuscule representation in pop culture (aside from being IT techie, doctor or taxi driver) & being brown = radical islamic terrorist in Trump land. This well of poison is affecting my country as well. Equality truly is oppression for the privileged.

guek

Banned
TABLE-2.jpg

Uh. Anyone else find it odd that they controlled for other biases using a 2011 survey results despite comparing a 2008 and 2012 election with one in 2016?

Poor whites are scared to death of living in a country with middle to upper class and rich people of color. if you kicked a dog every day for years when it was chained up you'd be scared to death when it got loose and cornered you.

Yep.

Its been said for months, but minorities overall suffer worse when the economy struggles. We get ignored when drug epidemics hit our communities. And we are the most underrepresented and unheard by our government.

But as far a demographics go, by and large we didn't vote for Trump.

There's a clear reason for that.

The numbers last I checked were:

Asian-Americans: 70-30 in favour of Clinton, it's more lopsided if you break it down by ethnicity - South Asians for instance went 90-10 in favour of Clinton. Chinese-Americans it was like 75-25.

Hispanics: 70-30. The 30% that voted for Trump were likely the ones who could pass off as white. Also known as "The Good Ones."

African Americans: 90-10. Nothing to see here.

Muslim-Americans: 85-15. Surprised it was even 15.

entremet

Nah it's more like with Kirblar said

NYC has very visible problems with diversity

It does. There's basically a non white retail/service underclass serving white yuppies.

Shout outs to Whole Foods lol.

However, there are still some strongholds. Harlem, Washington Heights, Outer Boroughs, etc. But gentrification has been coming.

JZA

Maybe they're afraid of diversity because it seems like the biggest racial atrocities in the last couple of centuries (slavery, Holocaust) were committed by people who looked Caucasian.

Amir0x

Banned
Fantastic article really underlining what many of us have known, that economic anxiety is bullshit excuse to cover legitimate reasons these people voted the way they did. Hate won the day.

Makonero

Fantastic article really underlining what many of us have known, that economic anxiety is bullshit excuse to cover legitimate reasons these people voted the way they did. Hate won the day.
Hate trumps love. Everyone knows that, we just don't want to believe it.

besada

Banned
Fear drives most of the horrific stuff we deal with. Afraid humans might as well be feral. If you're in fear, the parts of your brain that control reasoning simply don't work well. They're new and shiny, evolutionarily speaking, and it's the old snake brain that controls fear. It's the primal emotion, for pretty obvious evolutionary reasons. Scare a person enough and you can get them to do anything.

And when it comes to fear, Trump and the Republicans can't stand alone. Americans of every party sell fear. As does the media, as does the advertising industry. Because fear is a profound motivator. Afraid to be alone? Buy Axe body spray? Afraid of terrorists? Give away your rights! Afraid of authoritarianism? Burn down your own cities in protest!

We're stupid when we're afraid. Looking at data helps. Understanding that you aren't always rational helps. Knowing that for some people, your brain prioritizes negative stimuli more heavily than positive helps. Getting out in the world and being reminded that terrorists or nazis aren't going to suddenly fall on you with knives helps. Perspective is hard when everything is shouting.

Shock and awe, minorities are right once again. One day you fools will actually listen to us instead of talking down to us; not holding my breath on such though.

since people were curious about my hot take on this article...

I pretty much agree with the article (racist attitudes predict level of support for Trump, no disagreement from me!). My position isn't that "uhhhh, medicare for all will automatically win over every Trump voter and cause them to not be racist anymore", so it doesn't really contradict things I've mentioned elsewhere. There are more people than just Trump (and Clinton) voters, after all (and a lot of them also live in red states). Though of course, if supporting Medicare for all (and obviously, not compromising on other views) peels off a couple Trump voters, then if I'm a candidate, I wouldn't complain, since that's a policy that obviously benefits everyone, and more votes helps me put that policy into action.

(edit: since I may have misspoke before, it's probably more accurate to say my position is "more leftist policies may help keep people like Trump from taking so much power", rather than "more leftist policies will make Trump voters no longer vote for Trump")

In reference to the WV thread that sort of ties in with this one, voter turnout in that specific county where the the town hall was held was 36.24%.

So when I look at that townhall and saw the moment with the guy who says "all citizens should have access to health care", I think "hmm, there's probably a base to work from long-term in that area, someone should organize there", while others apparently see the "75% of voters voted for Trump" and immediately write it off and assume everyone there (including the 25% of people who didn't vote for Trump, and the 64% of people who didn't vote at all) is head over heels in love with Trump and racism.

(Which I think speaks to our general erasure of non-voters in this country, of all backgrounds)

And I feel like people shouldn't fall into the trap of "poor rural white people, probably racist Trump voters", since it was often wealthier white people that had racist attitudes and supported Trump. So that's another major point of difference from the WV thread and why this isn't necessarily a rebuttal to that one. Now, I guess you can then make the argument that not voting for Clinton to stop Trump also makes you racist, or sympathetic to racists, and therefore immune to any sort of strong social/economic justice platform, but that seems like more of a stretch...

Also, the article says:

Additional analysis reveals differences between white Republican and Democratic identifiers who switched from Obama to Trump. Seeing diversity as a threat had a particularly strong effect on white Republican identifiers who switched from Obama to Trump, but a comparatively modest effect on white Democratic switchers. Similarly, racial resentment towards blacks had a stronger impact on the probability of Obama-to-Trump vote switching for white Republicans compared to white Democrats.

So in the context of the 2016 election, this effect applied more to white Republican switchers than white Democratic switchers. Still bad for them to switch, of course, and still racist! But it shows that other factors (party ID) do play a role in how strongly someone's attitudes towards diversity will influence their vote.

And if they identified as Democratic beforehand, that probably means they were relatively open to "economic populism" at some point in time. Again, it doesn't suddenly make them not racist, and it still isn't "good", and maybe they can't ever be won over again (which is why I talk more about non-voters) but if racism was the only factor affecting them, then party ID wouldn't have played a role in lessening that impact.

Also from the article

Increasingly, class is simply not a meaningful dimension along which American politics is fought

Which I also agree with! Especially within the context of the 2016 election. So that leaves American politics to be fought on other terms...like racism and demagoguery and emails and walls.

In the 2016 election, the traditional Democratic advantage among low-income people was deeply diminished. Corporations, long seen as the enemy for progressives, are increasingly seen as allies on issues like immigration and LGBT rights. Unions, once the backbone of the Democratic Party, have waned in influence, and many found their members receptive to Trump's message.

So then I wonder: did unions wane in influence because everyone is vastly more racist in 2016 than they were in the 70's because of Trump, or was this because of specific political actions by both the Democratic and Republican parties to diminish their influence, which then contributed to class not being a meaningful dimension along which American politics is fought, and then leads to...well, now?

Also I've followed one of the authors of this article, Sean McElwee, on Twitter for a while, and he routinely tweets about seizing the means of production, so I hope people don't take this article as an argument against "Democrats should be much more progressive on class" in general, since that wasn't his intent, and he's routinely argued the opposite before. It just means that for the particular set of Trump voters in 2016, economic populism wouldn't have done a lot to convince them otherwise.

kirblar

The thing that hurt Unions more than anything else was globalization. The ability to pick up and move a factory anywhere else in the world and have worldwide communications removed the leverage workers previously had when negotiating, as previously the logistics and costs to pick up and move elsewhere were a significant barrier. But first with advances in technology- shipping, communications, etc., those barriers vanished.

If you look at Canada, which has a much higher unionization rate, it looks like we could have avoided this. But then if you break Canada's unions down to public and private, you see the private ones doing the same nosedive they did in the United States.

wildfire

Banned
Subtitle:  And economic populism might not win them back.

This caveat has its own caveat.

Questions about whether the political system benefits wealthy elites predicted vote choice—but in the wrong direction. People who agreed that the system benefited powerful elites were more likely to reject Trump. Increasingly, class is simply not a meaningful dimension along which American politics is fought. In our regressions, income predicted support for McCain and Romney, but not Trump

So what this tells me is that it depends a lot on what type of candidate the Republican party puts forward. If the primary pick an open racist, identity politics will supersede any other concerns including economic.

If they pick someone who relies on dog whistles or is openly against racism then that type of person would be very vulnerable to an economic populist.

So against a not subtle white nationalist we have to put forward a candidate that makes it clear our diversity is a strength and how it will pay dividends in the future if we work together.

I'm not shocked that most Trump voters would vote for their health and livelihoods to suffer just to see minorities, LGBT people, and immigrants get taken down as well.

The thing is, the more you call them racist, the more they use the "we'll vote for him again in 4 years if you people don't knock it off" threat.

And they can fuck right off as usual. Us minorities are survivors; We will not take this shit sitting down.

Jag

I know many people who just didn't vote at all because they disliked Hillary more than they were concerned about Trump. I didn't like Hillary either, but I was fully #nevertrump so I voted for her anyway.

I just don't understand the logic of not voting. I tell them that by not voting they were complicit in allowing Trump to get elected, but most people just don't see it that way.

And this is the reason why the losers who still cling to Bernie are fucking idiots. At this point, the solution seems to just overwhelm racism with sheer numbers and demographic changes. Basically wait for the old racist to literally die out of old age.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What causes different people to have different levels of fear of diversity?

What causes different people to have different levels of fear of diversity?

Depends on how you sell it to them. Trump said diversity is stealing white people's jobs and costing taxes, Clinton said nothing. Who did you expect them to vote for?

No politician is making the case in favor of diversity and that is a huge problem.

wildfire

Banned
Depends on how you sell it to them. Trump said diversity is stealing white people's jobs and costing taxes, Clinton said nothing. Who did you expect them to vote for?

No politician is making the case in favor of diversity and that is a huge problem.

Yeah even Sanders wasn't developing this narrative. He was defending civil rights but not pointing out how we work together.

For the time being I think we need more media like Hidden Figures going over the contributions of minorities that shows in detail how we became stronger as a nation to address low level communication done through entertainment. Hopefully once 2018 and 2020 roll around we have a high level communicator who has a message directly attacking these fears and proving why they are wrong.

It's still a non-answer. Why are people more motivated to vote for racist reasons now than they have been in the past?
It was worse in the past though. But now that minorities and immigrants have a smidge more power, racists feel like they are being attacked. Just look at that statistics about conservative whites that feel like they are being discriminated against way more than blacks. Giving up some entrenched power is hard for a lot of people.

I hate to say it but Obama most likely triggered many of these same people. Trump literally ran on being the anti-Obama.

kirblar

It's still a non-answer. Why are people more motivated to vote for racist reasons now than they have been in the past?
Because the world has changed and people in these monolithic white rural areas are being expoaed to far more nonwhite individuals and cultures than they ever were before the rise of cable and the internet. They have never developed a way to adequately handle how to react to people who arent like them, and so the prospect of dealing with the other terrifies them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It was worse in the past though. But now that minorities and immigrants have a smidge more power, racists feel like they are being attacked. Just look at that statistics about conservative whites that feel like they are being discriminated against way more than blacks. Giving up some entrenched power is hard for a lot of people.

The article discusses switchers, though. In other words, people who once voted for the person who went on to give more power to minorities. Why were they not worried about it then, but suddenly worried about it now?

kirblar

The article discusses switchers, though. In other words, people who once voted for the person who went on to give more power to minorities. Why were they not worried about it then, but suddenly worried about it now?
Because the GOP nominated a white nationalist.

Bunch of rural whites got real excited about that, while metropolitan ones were disgusted.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Because the world has changed and people in these monolithic white rural areas are being expoaed to far more nonwhite individuals and cultures than they ever were before the rise of cable and the internet. They have never developed a way to adequately handle how to react to people who arent like them, and so the prospect of dealing with the other terrifies them.

Are they exposed to these? I have complete control over what cultural inputs I receive. As someone who is relatively liberal, I don't go to Fox News, I don't watch Duck Dynasty, and my social media circle is mostly composed of people who are just as liberal as I am. It's broadly the same for conservative users of the internet - they're not going to go to MSNBC, start watching Modern Family, or have a social media circle with anyone who isn't especially conservative.

Meanwhile, any time we bring this up fake progressives accuse us of "making excuses for Hillary", smh.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Because the GOP nominated a white nationalist.

This is a circular argument. Why are these people racist now? Because there was a successful white nationalist candidate. Why is there a successful white nationalist candidate? Because these people are racist now.

White nationalist candidates have run for elections before without winning. Why did this specific one win where others failed?

kirblar

Are they exposed to these? I have complete control over what cultural inputs I receive. As someone who is relatively liberal, I don't go to Fox News, I don't watch Duck Dynasty, and my social media circle is mostly composed of people who are just as liberal as I am. It's broadly the same for conservative users of the internet - they're not going to go to MSNBC, start watching Modern Family, or have a social media circle with anyone who isn't especially conservative.
The patterns arent the same for the two groups. (how did you not see this data) Liberals go to liberal AND moderate sources. Conservatives stay in their bubble. The two sides do NOT behave the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom