• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

oneils

Oh man, I disagree so hard! I love the second guessing and arguments about right and wrong and angsting. This is why Season 2 is my favorite! Because the conflict was so suspenseful and they spent a lot of time dwelling on it and making me invested in the intricacies of their dilemmas. I'm happy that the show isn't zombies ruining everybody's picnics and more about the angst and consequences of the choices they make.

But we all have different taste! It's all good!

I get the appeal, I'm just a little tired of it after 5 seasons. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep watching but I'm hoping for some thematic changes.

Jonm1010

Banned
Im gonna quote these and then stop derailing the thread. Plus Im trying to watch the first episode!

Outside of strong language and graphic nudity, I'm not really sure what kind of creative limitations AMC has that HBO/Showtime/Netflix don't? The Walking Dead has already gone to some extremely dark places with their characters - I'm not sure what else could be done outside of something like (comic)
what The Governor does to Michonne in the comic, and what she does to him in return. It's extremely disturbing and graphic and I doubt any channel would touch something like that, especially in today's climate.
Hell, HBO passed on Preacher because it was too "dark, violent, and controversial" while AMC had no problem taking a crack at it, so if anything, AMC is the place for these riskier types of shows.

And people always harp on the budget (I don't believe we even know what the current budget is, btw) but I'm not sure what people even want out of a bigger budget Walking Dead - an exotic new locale every week? More zombies? A completely different show in the vein of World War Z? The primary issues people seem to have with the show stem from the writing and characterization and I'm not sure how a bigger budget would improve those things?

Hmmm....

My main complaint is the writing. In TV if you don't have that you are going to struggle to be a good show. In terms of budget and where the show could go I think budget is simple, more diversity of situations then summer/spring Georgia filming. Think actually showing the Winter in Virginia or something.

In terms of places they could go story wise, I think it is hard to deny that the show has become a victim of their own success. Characters survival seems largely pinned on fan favoritism and when I say dark places they could go think The Road by Cormac McCarthy. And on the other end think Deadwood. AMC is at a place where every episode basically needs zombie encounters and showing fan favorites do their caricatured thing(think Daryl). Its a show that is scared to move to the next logical phase of a zombie apocalypse which is rebuilding after zombies have basically just become a rare annoyance that is no more threatening then wild predators. Frankly not even as threatening. Which is where the Deadwood comparison comes in. Logically this is a world where we should be more intrigued of the rebuilding of civilization but AMC seems so worried of doing anything but concocting scenarios for zombie fights and having the group go through the same motions.

Isn't that what we already see in TWD? The only times zombies kill anyone is when the humans are being incredibly stupid. It is actually one of the flaws I see with the series. They've made the walkers less of a threat than other humans and basic needs, and this isn't nearly as much fun to watch. Seeing dirty people infighting is not often compelling tv.

That is why I'm really looking forward to FTWD since the zombies are a threat again.
Lets be honest. By season 3 this group should have figured out a pretty fool proof system to contain inner-sanctuary outbreaks and how to approach the outside world: body armor, swords, silenced guns/cross bows, walls and spiked military hedgehogs dotting any sanctuary. At that point zombies are basically a non-problem.

Which is why I think stories like 28 Days later or Last of Us are more compelling worlds then TWD. It truly is a frightening place that either will be a slow death of humanity or a cure will be found.

oneils

The doctors must know he was going to turn. They were in a huge hurry to get him the hell out of there.

Yeah, looks like the outbreak is ongoing and medical community is in the know. After how the Ebola scare went down, this all seems kinda unlikely.

DrStiles

The doctors must know he was going to turn. They were in a huge hurry to get him the hell out of there.

With how they don't care at all about a missing patient. Yea the doctors know something is up, wonder how long before it starts to spread to the public.

Effect

Back in season 1 of the Walking Dead they show they were separating the dead from the living in different parts of the hospital Rick was in. No doubt they know know people are reanimating. Especially with the one kid talking about reports from other states. They kept stressing he had to be taken downstairs. Not another room, department, etc but downstairs and away from there.

Yeah, looks like the outbreak is ongoing and medical community is in the know. After the Ebola scare, this all seems kinda unlikely.

I mean, in reality something like this could be quickly contained if they were zombies just like this.

It wouldn't take long to understand the symptoms and know that dead people come back no matter what. After that is discovered the military would easily contain it.

This isn't a normal sickness, this is literally a epidemic that is solved by force and killing the sick, it's a very simple solution.

Slayven

I mean, in reality something like this could be quickly contained if they were zombies just like this.

It wouldn't take long to understand the symptoms and know that dead people come back no matter what. After that is discovered the military would easily contain it.

zombie fiction relies on folks being stupid and irrational.

BFIB

Just realized Lauirie and Andrea are alive at this point. Would love a snapshot of them ruining people's lives.

oneils

Except ebola wasn't airborne.

Makes sense why they restrained him if that's the case

I was commenting more about my skepticism that the medical community could keep it all a secret or would even try. Seems really unlikely.

Anyone following the Story Sync? It has documents and polls on it and the documents delve into the story more.

One of them is from the World Health Organization basically telling doctors that if they cannot resuscitate in 60 seconds to immediately declare dead and move to the morgue asap.

zombie fiction relies on folks being stupid and irrational.

I guess, at least something like WWZ showed a possible situation where the military and government completely underestimates the issue and doesn't properly tackle it.

But like I said, this is a medical emergency that's solved by guns, can't get much more simple than that.

I was commenting more about my skepticism that the medical community could keep it all a secret or would even try. Seems really unlikely.

I don't think they are keeping it secret. By now if the zed are across five states this shit would be all over the local news and be picked up on national news.

This isn't a normal sickness, this is literally a epidemic that is solved by force and killing the sick, it's a very simple solution.
Going to have to disagree completely people could die anywhere anytime since everyone is infected . Medical community couldn't keep track

The sheer number of people that would have to know to hide this conspiracy would make it pretty much a waist. Every medical professional, coroner and funeral home owner, plus anyone who lived after seeing an old person bite it.

Effect

Anyone following the Story Sync? It has documents and polls on it and the documents delve into the story more.

One of them is from the World Health Organization basically telling doctors that if they cannot resuscitate in 60 seconds to immediately declare dead and move to the morgue asap.

Thanks! Really should check out that more.

The link for those interested in following along.

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walking-dead

BokehKing

Banned

Whaaat? That's actually interesting, I'm not doing that at the moment but I didn't know they do stuff like that, keep the thread updated with other stuff like that please, I would appreciate it

Top Bottom