• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Two, Part Two - Sundays on AMC

RS4-

Chris's dad had the best "I've made a huge mistake" look on his face at the end.

It's pretty embarrassing when trash like The Strain and The Last Ship make this show look like a telenovela.

ftwd wishes it was half as good as TLS.

Strain on the other hand...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How many times can someone say "bro"?

U9Wnx81.jpg

Chris starts trying to move in on Madison > Travis objects > Chris kills Travis and hooks up with Madison

I'd ship it!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, but the more important question is: WHAT IS THE RATINGS, RATSKY!?

I get a certain amount of glee out of it dipping more and more

BizzyBum

Chris and Travis saved the episode. They were actually the best part of this season so far. I hope Travis has to kill Chris himself. That would be some pretty dark shit having to kill your own son cause he gets too mental.

Bandit1

So I noticed the dates on the crosses at the farm were 2010, which is the year The Walking Dead's first season aired. So I guess cannon is outbreak/apocalypse officially started in 2010.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season Two:

Episode 1: 6.7 million viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 2: 5.6 million viewers and a 2.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 3: 4.7 million viewers and a 2.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 4: 4.8 million viewers and a 2.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 5: 4.4 million viewers and a 2.0 A18-49 rating
Episode 6: 4.5 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating
Episode 7: 4.4 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating

Episode 8: 3.9 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 9: 3.7 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 10: 3.0 million viewers and 1.2 A18-49 rating

Surfinn

Ouch. Holiday or not.. looks like you can't just make TWD all over again and expect people to invest in the long run..

Disappointed they didn't capitalize on the awesome premise they started with.

Ratings:

Season Two:

Episode 1: 6.7 million viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 2: 5.6 million viewers and a 2.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 3: 4.7 million viewers and a 2.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 4: 4.8 million viewers and a 2.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 5: 4.4 million viewers and a 2.0 A18-49 rating
Episode 6: 4.5 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating
Episode 7: 4.4 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating

Episode 8: 3.9 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating

Whoa @ that ratings drop. I think the show will still get a season 3 but after that it's done.

Ouch. Holiday or not.. looks like you can't just make TWD all over again and expect people to invest in the long run..

Disappointed they didn't capitalize on the awesome premise they started with.

Yeah I think this was a pretty big mis-step. Going back to the beginning was interesting, but they spent far too little time showing the actual fall of society and civil obedience. That and really not changing the setting very much. Okay, it's Mexico, but we're basically talking hot and humid with almost no winter.

So wish they had done something with more dramatic weather shifts and spent far more time on the actual fall. I wanted there to be a point at which the characters are driven to realize they have to fend for themselves, have to protect themselves, have to survive for themselves vs. being dependent on a government to sustain them.

At this point we're just basically replaying more TWD with different (dumber) characters.

riotous

Banned
Chris is fucking awkward as hell.. probably bad acting but it ended up working because it felt like watching an awkward teen who doesn't know how to talk to his Dad.

Alicia part was pretty stupid..

How did she know exactly what trouble her Mom was in? All she knows is that zombies were around, she'd have no idea that they were surrounded like the show showed.

How was there supposed to be any suspense there either? The scene of them getting surrounded was either going to end badly in a few seconds or they'd get out in a few seconds.. the show acted like this was some time-sensitive scenario where Alicia was going to somehow show up to save them.

Sort of mind-numbing stuff at times; is it really that hard to create tense scenarios with zombies that make a lick of sense?

Having said all that, ended up liking the episode.

Surfinn

Yeah I think this was a pretty big mis-step. Going back to the beginning was interesting, but they spent far too little time showing the actual fall of society and civil obedience. That and really not changing the setting very much. Okay, it's Mexico, but we're basically talking hot and humid with almost no winter.

So wish they had done something with more dramatic weather shifts and spent far more time on the actual fall. I wanted there to be a point at which the characters are driven to realize they have to fend for themselves, have to protect themselves, have to survive for themselves vs. being dependent on a government to sustain them.

At this point we're just basically replaying more TWD with different (dumber) characters.

Exactly. I think the biggest reason this was done (blew through the initial outbreak and it's impact on society) was for more profit. They want to spend as little as possible on each episode and it became painfully obvious as soon as they got on that damn boat. Spend some money on world building (society crumbling) if you want this idea to succeed.

The selling point, originally, was to watch characters lose more and more control over their daily lives as society unravels. That lasted what.. 5 or 6 episodes?

Another problem is that people just cannot relate to the characters in the same way they can with TWD characters. After 6 episodes, I cared for a handful of people and wanted to watch them grow.

After 16 or 17 episodes of FTWD, I couldn't care less about anyone aside from maybe Travis, Nick (even he is testing my patience with his idiotic choices), and Strand but even then, I'm not invested in their struggle.

And.. I know these characters are much earlier on than Rick and co. but my god how many different ways can we hear the "I must go on, it's worth it.. isn't it?" lines?

riotous

Banned
I will say those guys Chris and Travis ran into are perhaps the most realistic group of people that have ever randomly shown up in either series.

Not evil, just willing to do bad and try to enjoy the anarchy of it all. Although it continues to be ridiculous how barren and unpopulated everything is lol.

I will say those guys Chris and Travis ran into are perhaps the most realistic group of people that have ever randomly shown up in either series.

Not evil, just willing to do bad and try to enjoy the anarchy of it all. Although it continues to be ridiculous how barren and unpopulated everything is lol.

I can agree with your points.

Still a terrible show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Pablo & Jessica

Alicia and Madison work to unite two competing factions. Meanwhile, Nick draws upon skills from his past to take on a new role at the colonia.

Tonight's episode was written by Kate Erickson (who last wrote 2.04, the one where Nick meets Strand's sniper friend) and was directed by Uta Briesewitz (The 100, Jane the Virgin) who is making her Fear the Walking Dead debut.

Tonight's Talking Dead guest stars are:

Danay Garcia (Luciana)
Paul Calderon (Alejandro)
Reggie Watts (singer, comedian)

So i'm just watching last weeks episode of Fear the Walking Dead and I'm currently at the part where they are moving the zombies from the stairwell and trapping them in the room... and you have to be fucking kidding me.

There is literally 8 walkers all in a single-file-line and an entire narrow hallway they could use to backup in. Why do such a convoluted way of trapping them in a room which involves locking you in there with them and escaping via the balcony when you could just stab them in the fucking head while backing up, thereby causing them to trip over one another.

So i'm just watching last weeks episode of Fear the Walking Dead and I'm currently at the part where they are moving the zombies from the stairwell and trapping them in the room... and you have to be fucking kidding me.

There is literally 8 walkers all in a single-file-line and an entire narrow hallway they could use to backup in. Why do such a convoluted way of trapping them in a room which involves locking you in there with them and escaping via the balcony when you could just stab them in the fucking head while backing up, thereby causing them to trip over one another.

It's messy and in a tight and confined hallway. The system that was in place worked, and it would involve more risk to kill them. That and the people doing the luring and trapping haven't had a ton of experience killing Walkers.

It's messy and in a tight and confined hallway. The system that was in place worked, and it would involve more risk to kill them. That and the people doing the luring and trapping haven't had a ton of experience killing Walkers.

It was an overly convoluted plan that almost resulted in Alicia dying when she was trapped on the balcony. It required everything to be perfect in everything from ensuring they actually follow you, to the timing involved of climbing off the balcony before the glass shatters from the weight of several zombies, not to mention the trust involved with putting your life in the hands of somebody you just met. Even if the people trapping didn't have experience killing walkers, Alicia has a couple under her belt and bare minimum experience that the simple plan of stab and quickly backup would work without issue.

I understand that you can't just stab your way out of every situation, but in this case it would have been definately doable and way more safer than whatever it was they did

It was an overly convoluted plan that almost resulted in Alicia dying when she was trapped on the balcony. It required everything to be perfect in everything from ensuring they actually follow you, to the timing involved of climbing off the balcony before the glass shatters from the weight of several zombies, not to mention the trust involved with putting your life in the hands of somebody you just met. Even if the people trapping didn't have experience killing walkers, Alicia has a couple under her belt and bare minimum experience that the simple plan of stab and quickly backup would work without issue.

I understand that you can't just stab your way out of every situation, but in this case it would have been definately doable and way more safer than whatever it was they did

I disagree here. Now if Alicia had a gun maybe it would be more feasible to fight in the hall, but needing to get in close and STAB each one in the head? LOL, no.

I'm sure this will go as planned. Absolutely certain of it.

Edit: I feel like they're about to kill her off. Hope I'm wrong.

Edit: Luci. Lordt.

BizzyBum

It's amazing how dead this thread is compared to GAF's TWD thread during premier nights. haha

I thought last episode was pretty good with Chris and Travis but this episode was pretty boring. It's funny how often they use the zombie's blood for camo when Rick and co used that technique I think twice. If it was up to me I'd bathe in that shit and have it on me 24/7 considering how effective they make it.

I hope the final episodes this season have a huge payoff because as it stands it's definitely a very average show.

The pharmacist's story about his bite was pretty disappointing to me. It seems really obvious he just got bit by the guy that was high and thought he was a walker.

Yeah I kinda wish they focused alot more on the actual fall of civilization. I don't think this spin off with have a 4th season.

I think it will this is AMC afterall and tonight's episode was good too sucks it doesn't seem like we'll see Chris or Travis next week either looking forward to how that plays out.

The pharmacist's story about his bite was pretty disappointing to me. It seems really obvious he just got bit by the guy that was high and thought he was a walker.

What gave it away I missed that part of the episode? I just assumed he disinfected it since its not like walker bites are poisionous they are just prone to infection due to germs since rotting corpses unless it was newly rose which would just be a human bite.

NYR

I haven't watched since the season premiere a few weeks ago. Should I even bother catching up? Or is it that bad?

Beefy

This has become even slower then Walking Dead. It started of so well with the fall of humanity happening around them and them having to survive. But then quickly turned itnto Walking Dead ( with a far worse cast) in Mexico. Such a huge fuck up imo.

Bandit1

Zombies falling off the pier was pretty cool. Not really buying that the hottest baddest chick in shanty town wants to make out with Nick though..

Surfinn

Man, even though the last few episodes have been a great improvement, they're REALLY making the zombies feel like a complete non-threat. Relatively inexperienced survivalists (all of these characters) can be literally surrounded by walkers (who are apparently totally subdued by the three foot walls of a bar) and have enough time to not only find a corpse and destroy it long enough to cover themselves in guts but.. somehow lose all of the walkers pursuing them and return to walk past?

And they're able to lead hundreds of walkers, from multiple directions (while having separate conversations) onto a pier with absolutely no trouble? I get that it makes sense, logically, but they're really destroying the threat of the zombies in this show.

The character development is certainly improving but I feel like the walkers are an absolute afterthought. Doesn't feel like there's any real danger anymore.

Someone needs to die to at least create SOME sense of risk or fear..

bitbydeath

Gold Member
That pier scene was just stupid, they said it was going to take weeks to go room to room and yet they still somehow did it in a far more dangerous fashion while only showing opening 5 or so doors, what about the other few hundred rooms?

These writers really do suck.

Surfinn

That pier scene was just stupid, they said it was going to take weeks to go room to room and yet they still somehow did it in a far more dangerous fashion while only showing opening 5 or so doors, what about the other few hundred rooms?

These writers really do suck.

Handling of the zombie threat has been downright dreadful. This episode has been the worst offender by far. Surrounded by walkers? Here's a secret passage so you can smear blood on you for 5 minutes while none attack. Need to clear hundreds of walkers? Let's get them all magically to the pier and have no one be in danger.

It's just really poor writing. Which is too bad because the character development has improved.

Pilgrimzero

After we watched it my wife says to me "I don't know any of these characters names". I agreed.

My son who loves zombies and especially TWD, gave up on this show 2 episodes ago.

This show is really lacking something.

Surfinn

After we watched it my wife says to me "I don't know any of these characters names". I agreed.

My son who loves zombies and especially TWD, gave up on this show 2 episodes ago.

This show is really lacking something.

And it's being reflected in the ratings. We need two problems fixed: we don't care much about ANYONE on screen (which the last two episodes have actually done a pretty good job trying to rectify) and failure to introduce and retain a sense of risk or fear.

The latter has been failing miserably.

We see characters we don't care about lazily pushing their way through zombies while carrying on conversations. They could almost just ask each other to go for drinks after the episode via on screen dialogue and it wouldn't matter much.

Bandit1

I agree with what others have said, the walkers don't feel near as threatening as they should. These people don't even have guns and it feels like they are already at TWD S4 level of head stabbing.

BizzyBum

These people don't even have guns and it feels like they are already at TWD S4 level of head stabbing.

I remember Kirkman saying before the series started that walkers in Fear would be way more of a threat since they are freshly turned people meaning they wouldn't be as squishy and easy to kill. This was shown a bit in season 1 (Madison trying to kill the school principal) but that didn't last long.

I also refuse to believe all these places would be so desolate. It's like watching a show set years after zombies, not months.

Top Bottom