• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fears of Next Gen Storage Limitations Are Misguided

Tqaulity

Just is just a reminder folks :messenger_winking:....

As we approach the launch of the next generation of gaming, one thing that is common across all platforms is the advent of SSD as standard. With that, storage size costs increase dramatically and we are seeing relatively low storage amounts at launch for the PS5 (825GB), Xbox Series S (512GB), and Xbox Series X (1TB). On the surface, this is spawning a lot of fears and discussions around how the amount of storage will be extremely limited and problematic for gamers. Many acknowledge that next gen game sizes will likely be smaller than current gen (at least initially) due to the efficiency improvements of the SSD, particularly in reducing duplication. However, few have really discussed the real world usability improvements brought by these SSDs and why the current model does not apply to next gen.

The underlying assumption that is the source of these fears is that as next gen games continue to grow larger, then fewer games will be able to fit on the HDD requiring more downtime (i.e. maintenance) reinstalling games to play. So...why is that a problem? Because TODAY, installing a game is a universally painful process (especially when considering installing all associated patches on top of the default game data). Downloading and installation is impacted by internet bandwidth and HDD speed but today the HDD speed is the bottleneck in many cases (for folks that may have an internet plan >50 Mbs or so).

So the thinking is most people would rather not have to uninstall their game and would just rather keep it on the harddrive because if they get in the mood to play again and have to reinstall, they will have to wait 10's of minutes at least before they can jump back in. If it's preinstalled, then they only have to wait a few mins for the initial load and launch process is complete. Obviously that will fill the HDD quickly. OK that makes sense....but that's the old paradigm.

In the new next-gen paradigm, would the same assumptions apply? Would it be considered "painful" to reinstall a game. Let's remember folks: we're talking a 100x improvement in raw disk throughput going from PS4 to PS5. So effectively the bottleneck moves from the HDD speed to the internet bandwidth for a download. With net speeds steadily improving and efficiencies added by console manufacturer to selectively install only portions of the game to start playing, we should see speeds that are orders of magnitude faster than what we see in current gen.

If you think about this new paradigm, how many people here would really have a problem reinstalling their games if you knew that if would almost universally take <5 min on any next gen console of your choice?

Consider this: Even for preinstalled games on current gen, the time it takes to launch into the game may be longer than the time it will take on next gen to install, launch, and load a game! Brand new world people :messenger_beaming:

So yeah, 825GB might only store ~12-20 games total at a time...but that is plenty for the most people to have as their "active" list. But that whole concept is made irrelevant next gen since there really wouldn't be much speed advantage to having you're game preinstalled versus installing from scratch (we're talking maybe a few seconds difference). Thus, I really wouldn't worry about the smaller storage amounts next gen. Of course, there will be a upgrade path if you desire and it (hopefully) will become cheaper to do so over time. But the current amounts should be plenty at launch and for the foreseeable future.

Rest easy...it's going to be a much better experience come next gen :messenger_sunglasses:

Edit: This is referring to digital game primarily. Obviously for disc based games, the initial install will be limited by disc drive speed (which is still much slower than HDD)

Last edited:

Aidah

Where are installing these games from? A disc? An external HDD? The internet? A combination of these? The internal SSD isn't the bottleneck.

The fastest and most convenient workaround would be if the console has a streamlined Archive/Reinstall feature that you can use if you have an external HDD connected, it will definitely take longer than seconds though. However that still requires you to buy something extra, and some people are worried about SSD lifespan.

For me personally I think the SSD on PS5 will definitely be more than big enough, but I play most things on PC where I'll probably have more than 1TB. I can't imagine how annoying the storage amount on XB SS will be.

Last edited:

LordCBH

The fears are valid when one call of duty game will fill up half the storage on the SX and like a fourth of the PS5 SSD.

Humdinger

Yeah, I don't really follow. In my understanding, the concern is that the drive will fill up quickly, necessitating a choice between either continually deleting old games in order to make space for new ones, or else buying additional storage space -- which can be proprietary and cost $220 in the case of the XSS, for instance.

I don't see how the speed of installing a game makes a lot of difference to that. I guess it would help if you wanted to re-install a game you'd previously deleted, but that's not the main issue.

And like others, I'm confused about what source you're talking about -- installing from disc, downloading over a standard cable modem, or over high-speed broadband? Seems like that would make a difference.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What the fuck am I reading?

No SSD does not gives you 100Gbit/s internet nor it gives you super "SSD" speed BD drive. And with XSS and PS5 DE? Yeah back to Musk SSDlink, amirite?

And also no, cold USB storage does not gives you this throughput.

What, am I already asleep and am I dreaming?

Last edited:

Tqaulity

Yes, my point is primarily discussing install times (or specifically resintall times). Obviously downloads are bottlenecked by internet bandwidth but in many cases, the time to install is limited by HDD read/write speeds if you have a fast enough internet.

Yes another way is stating my point is that the bottleneck will move from the HDD to primarily the internet bandwidth (which should get a bit faster as well with Wifi-6 and updated internet chips)

I think it also should be said that both consoles allow for 'cold storage' of games on external HDDs. 6tb dives are around the $100 mark, so the most time consuming part of the ordeal, downloading, only needs doing once.

Sethbacca

Is this the new "Xbox one won't hold back next gen". I'm feeling like maybe it is. This ought to age like milk.

M1chl

Yes, my point is primarily discussing install times (or specifically resintall times). Obviously downloads are bottlenecked by internet bandwidth but in many cases, the time to install is limited by HDD read/write speeds if you have a fast enough internet.

Yes another way is stating my point is that the bottleneck will move from the HDD to primarily the internet bandwidth (which should get a bit faster as well with Wifi-6 and updated internet chips)
Maybe you should take into consideration, that those "bottlenecks" are the reason why this all matters that it's tiny size of those SSDs.

I think it also should be said that both consoles allow for 'cold storage' of games on external HDDs. 6tb dives are around the $100 mark, so the most time consuming part of the ordeal, downloading, only needs doing once.
Sure however USB3.1-2 is not really that great at small sizes. Unless controller sending, receiving supports UART...or maybe it's called differently, not sure now, but it has U and it's for 4 characters. No it's UASP

Is this the new "Xbox one won't hold back next gen". I'm feeling like maybe it is. This ought to age like milk.
I also hope that you can see right away that it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

DonF

I hope that devs prioritize the space (fuck modern warfare) next gen. Cause if game are as big or bigger than current gen, 1 tb is not going to be enough. I remember the insomniac gdc talk that said that games have lots of duplicated data for better read speed, citing spiderman as an example. Maybe open world games have way more repeated data.
Still, I hope it's a priority next gen.

Codes 208

In what world is this practical even with faster D/L speeds? Internet for many of us still isn’t unlimited, I could go over my limit in just a week from constantly deleting and reinstalling.

M1chl

I hope that devs prioritize the space (fuck modern warfare) next gen. Cause if game are as big or bigger than current gen, 1 tb is not going to be enough. I remember the insomniac gdc talk that said that games have lots of duplicated data for better read speed, citing spiderman as an example. Maybe open world games have way more repeated data.
Still, I hope it's a priority next gen.
Again that was just like 10gigs and Super man is one game where this duplication is most prominent (it's used a lot in open world games), not so much in linear ones.

onQ123

If you think about it we are getting more storage for the new consoles than we got at the launch of PS4 & Xbox One so the prices for SSDs will drop in the next few years just like the prices of 2.5 HDDs did.

Top Bottom