• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2011 NPD Article (Gamasutra)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Meier said:
He could simply add an endpoint and label it <10% then. Something to give it at least some sort of scale. As it stands, just looking at the graph without reading anything else, I was thinking it meant percentage sold on 360 versus PS3.
The specific instructions were no scale or labels on the axes. I felt that the label in the caption was sufficient. They're not my rules.

kswiston

jvm said:
The specific instructions were no scale or labels on the axes. I felt that the label in the caption was sufficient. They're not my rules.

We can figure them out ourselves within a 10% margin of error, based on stuff like known Bulletstorm sales and Assassin's Creed Sales if we so desired. The current userbase of each system is well documented. Just a little math + measuring/pixel counting. That's good enough. No need for you to break the rules.

Thanks for the data!

kswiston

jvm said:
  • Not in the article, but of interest perhaps: Killzone 2 LTD is 956K, presumably without hardware bundles. (There was a KZ2/PS3 bundle in the U.S. as I recall.)

I really wish we still got regular info on how titles sell after reaching the Greatest Hits price point. It's interesting to see which titles really thrive at that price point, vs the titles that do most of their business at full price. Specifically, where will titles like God of War 3 and (later down the road) Gran Turismo 5 be after a couple years at Greatest Hits pricing? Will we see some of these titles passing by the 2M mark in the US?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, we can consider the 455K for the Wii and 454K for the NDS official now, and use those for the prediction thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Love your articles JVM, and it would indeed be interesting to see some numbers after certain games go to Greatest Hits status...though we're lucky to get the numbers we do now I suppose. :p

jvm

Gamasutra.
allan-bh said:
78K for PSP too?
Didn't ask, but I believe it is correct to the given number of digits, yes. The others are confirmed, and required for the prediction thread, especially the ranking.

donny2112

jvm said:
Ok, we can consider the 455K for the Wii and 454K for the NDS official now, and use those for the prediction thread.

Excellent! Now we can be sure of the ordering. Thanks, jvm! I'll try to do the prediction results tonight. :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
Excellent! Now we can be sure of the ordering. Thanks, jvm! I'll try to do the prediction results tonight. :)
I knew you'd be happy.

Should be exciting to see 3DS figures in a month. I need to go back and see what the DSi launch was. It had a similar couple of days at the end of a period, right?

jvm said:
I knew you'd be happy.

Should be exciting to see 3DS figures in a month. I need to go back and see what the DSi launch was. It had a similar couple of days at the end of a period, right?
Actually, looks like DSi was April 5, 2009 in NA; the very first day of the April period.

jvm

Gamasutra.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Actually, looks like DSi was April 5, 2009 in NA; the very first day of the April period.
It's on the borderline.
The Nintendo DSi officially launched in the U.S. on the day after the last day of the March 2009 reporting period. However, units sold at midnight sales were included with the March figures reported by the NPD Group. According to Mr. Michael Pachter, analyst for Wedbush Morgan Securities, the Nintendo DS figures for March 2009 included 58,000 units of the Nintendo DSi from those midnight sales.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3999/npd_behind_the_numbers_march_2009.php?print=1
To be clear, I was wrong ("couple of days") but it did have some bleed-over into the previous period.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Canova said:
Reading the article about the attach rates, so PS3 owners buy more games?
They have a higher per capita rate. There wasn't a single game I wrote about for which the LTD sales of the PS3 version were higher than the LTD sales of the Xbox 360 version.

Canova said:
Reading the article about the attach rates, so PS3 owners buy more games?

What the attach rate shows is that a higher percentage of PS3 owners are buying these particular games. But more actual copies of the game were sold on the 360. For example, if there were only 10 PS3 owners, and 3 of them bought Shooterama, that's 30%. If there were only 15 360 owners, and 4 of them bought Shooterama, that's 27%. The PS3 has a higher attach rate, but more copies were sold on the 360.

But that has nothing to do with total games sold, because there are hundreds of games out there, and this is a game-by-game statistic. The 360 generally has the highest software sales, as well as the highest tie ratio, which is the average number of games bought by each owner (somewhere around 8 now, maybe? I haven't seen the stat recently).

Canova

Banned
jvm said:
They have a higher per capita rate. There wasn't a single game I wrote about for which the LTD sales of the PS3 version were higher than the LTD sales of the Xbox 360 version.

yeah, I know, I'm not talking about total sales. I'm just surprised that in most softwares, PS3 has better attach-rates even for COD

Leondexter said:
But that has nothing to do with total games sold, because there are hundreds of games out there, and this is a game-by-game statistic. The 360 generally has the highest software sales, as well as the highest tie ratio, which is the average number of games bought by each owner (somewhere around 8 now, maybe? I haven't seen the stat recently).

huh? if PS3 has better attach-rate in most softwares, how can 360 has better tie-ratio?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Leondexter said:
The 360 generally has the highest software sales, as well as the highest tie ratio, which is the average number of games bought by each owner (somewhere around 8 now, maybe? I haven't seen the stat recently).
I don't recall the last value precisely myself, but I think it hit 9.0 right before the Xbox 360 Model S hit in June and since hardware sales have been so good, it's brought the tie ratio down to 8.8-8.9.

I intend to ask for tie ratios in March.

Kafel said:
I don't get Leondexter's tag.

I know, the link doesn't work. I got the tag for tirelessly defending consumer rights over corporate rights, specifically our right to re-sell, borrow/loan, share, or buy games used.

You'd think that would be common sense, but there are countless corporate worshippers here who not only believe that we don't own things, but that we shouldn't want to.

And videogame publishers are the most infantile, loud-mouthed, self-entitled bunch of whiners in the business world. Somebody has to be the voice of reason when they blame their customers for their own shortcomings, especially when many of those customers mindlessly parrot the same accusations onward.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Canova

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
By most software you mean 9 pieces of software released in the last 8 months give or take.

most of the software measured, if that makes you sleep better at night

Canova said:
yeah, I know, I'm not talking about total sales. I'm just surprised that in most softwares, PS3 has better attach-rates even for COD

huh? if PS3 has better attach-rate in most softwares, how can 360 has better tie-ratio?

I doesn't have the better attach rate in most software, at least not that we can see from this data. It appears that it might have a better attach rate in the top-selling software.

But, as an example, if those same 10 PS3 owners and 15 360 owners bought copies of these 8 games, all it would take for the 360 to have a better tie ratio is for those 360 owners to buy more game per person than those PS3 owners. Say they bought 10 games each, while the PS3 owners bought 9 each. It just means those 10 games that the 360 owners bought were also made up of more games than just these 8. Maybe they're buying exclusive games, like Halo and such.

Once a console gets above a certain number as far as LTD user base numbers its attach rate is bound to drop some, considering a large portion of the added user base is made up of casual gamers and people buying 2nd copies of their console.

The "active" user base is what keeps up those ratios. And there's only so many gamers that buy 8-10 games a year.

Canova

Banned
Leondexter said:
I doesn't have the better attach rate in most software, at least not that we can see from this data. It appears that it might have a better attach rate in the top-selling software.

But, as an example, if those same 10 PS3 owners and 15 360 owners bought copies of these 8 games, all it would take for the 360 to have a better tie ratio is for those 360 owners to buy more game per person than those PS3 owners. Say they bought 10 games each, while the PS3 owners bought 9 each. It just means those 10 games that the 360 owners bought were also made up of more games than just these 8. Maybe they're buying exclusive games, like Halo and such.

The only way 360 has better tie-in ratio (if infact PS3 has better attach rates in most software measured) is if 360 has more retail software. Which it is, since it's in the market longer

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Canova said:
which is what? I don't know what you're trying to say here

The 360 has sold more software than the PS3 (in the US).
The 360 has sold more software per user than the PS3 (in the US).

This does not mean that for every single multiplatform game, the 360 has sold more copies than the PS3, or the 360 has sold more copies per user than the PS3.

For some multiplatform games (Virtua Fighter 5 for example, actually fighting games in general) the PS3 has sold more. For some multiplatform games (some of those listed for example) the PS3 has sold less overall, but more per user. For some multiplatform games (Borderlands for example) the 360 has not only sold more copies, but more copies per user. The ratio of multiplatform games in each category has varied over time, so even if you assume the PS3 has a better attach rate than the 360 for every game released in 2011, it still doesn't change the past times where that wasn't true.

Tie ratio is also impacted by exclusive software on both systems. If Halo 3 sells 6.5 million copies in the US and Killzone 2 sells 950k copies in the US, Halo 3 is contributing more to the 360's tie ratio than Killzone 2 is contributing to the PS3s.

Finally, while tie ratio generally increases over the life of a system, attach rate generally decreases. Nothing on the PS2 broke a 25% attach rate lifetime and only a small handful of games broke 8-10% lifetime. This doesn't speak to the tie ratio because there were so many software SKUs.

Canova said:
The only way 360 has better tie-in ratio (if infact PS3 has better attach rates in most software measured) is if 360 has more retail software. Which it is, since it's in the market longer

It's not just being in the market longer and I really don't see what you're failing to grasp here. You are taking 9 multiplatform data points in the last year or so. You are extrapolating this to cover 300+ multiplatform titles across 4.5 years as well as all exclusive titles during that period as well as all titles on the 360 from before the PS3's launch. You are then acting surprised when that extrapolation is incongruent with reality.

Canova

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The 360 has sold more software than the PS3 (in the US).
The 360 has sold more software per user than the PS3 (in the US).

This does not mean that for every single multiplatform game, the 360 has sold more copies than the PS3, or the 360 has sold more copies per user than the PS3.

For some multiplatform games (Virtua Fighter 5 for example, actually fighting games in general) the PS3 has sold more. For some multiplatform games (some of those listed for example) the PS3 has sold less overall, but more per user. For some multiplatform games (Borderlands for example) the 360 has not only sold more copies, but more copies per user. The ratio of multiplatform games in each category has varied over time, so even if you assume the PS3 has a better attach rate than the 360 for every game released in 2011, it still doesn't change the past times where that wasn't true.

Tie ratio is also impacted by exclusive software on both systems. If Halo 3 sells 6.5 million copies in the US and Killzone 2 sells 950k copies in the US, Halo 3 is contributing more to the 360's tie ratio than Killzone 2 is contributing to the PS3s.

Finally, while tie ratio generally increases over the life of a system, attach rate generally decreases. Nothing on the PS2 broke a 25% attach rate lifetime and only a small handful of games broke 8-10% lifetime. This doesn't speak to the tie ratio because there were so many software SKUs.

ok think I missed that part when assuming tie-in ratio, 360 exclusives tend to sell more than PS3 exclusives

Canova said:

Not necessarily. We're only looking at a few titles being measured here. Plenty of other titles have a better attach rate on the 360. And you're forgetting exclusive titles. Gears of War, for example, would contribute to the 360's tie ratio, but obviously not to the PS3's.

And the 360 has a better tie ratio even when the data is launch-aligned with the PS3, I believe. Maybe jvm can give some actual data to speak to that. I probably have some, but I'm too lazy to dig it up. It's pretty common knowledge that the 360 has an abnormally high tie ratio.

Canova

Banned
Leondexter said:
Not necessarily. We're only looking at a few titles being measured here. Plenty of other titles have a better attach rate on the 360. And you're forgetting exclusive titles. Gears of War, for example, would contribute to the 360's tie ratio, but obviously not to the PS3's.

And the 360 has a better tie ratio even when the data is launch-aligned with the PS3, I believe. Maybe jvm can give some actual data to speak to that. I probably have some, but I'm too lazy to dig it up. It's pretty common knowledge that the 360 has an abnormally high tie ratio.

yeah I already mentioned, I forgot to take exclusives sales into account

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watchtower said:
So if that's bundles only, I wonder what Kinect's actual numbers combined with stand-alone units were for February.

It's probably safe to say Kinect is doing over 500k a month in the US alone, and that's just crazy. At that rate it would sell an additional at least 4 million before the holidays in the USA alone. It could sit at 22-25 million by the end of the year, half of the 360's current WW LTD user base in just one year(and outselling the original Xbox).

Not to imply it's doing poorly at all, but I kind of wish they'd release numbers on how well the bundles are doing vs. the stand alone Kinect. I see the Kinect system bundles out everywhere, but the standalone Kinects seem plentiful every where.

Wonder if Kinect is also causing people to upgrade their old Xbox to slims.

Clott

What is the intended market for Kinekt? not trolling I really wish to know what demographic they are trying to sell to.

Clott said:
What is the intended market for Kinekt? not trolling I really wish to know what demographic they are trying to sell to.

I think it's safe to say it's "the same as the Wii". Microsoft specifically set out to make a product to appeal to Nintendo's audience, because Nintendo ate their lunch. What that audience is made up of, exactly, is a matter of debate and plenty of conflicting (mis)information. Nevertheless, they certainly succeeded.

Kafel

Banned
Leondexter said:
I think it's safe to say it's "the same as the Wii". Microsoft specifically set out to make a product to appeal to Nintendo's audience, because Nintendo ate their lunch. What that audience is made up of, exactly, is a matter of debate and plenty of conflicting (mis)information. Nevertheless, they certainly succeeded.

So ... everyone ?

Thanks for the tag explanation. The link is broken indeed.

DrForester said:
Not to imply it's doing poorly at all, but I kind of wish they'd release numbers on how well the bundles are doing vs. the stand alone Kinect. I see the Kinect system bundles out everywhere, but the standalone Kinects seem plentiful every where.

Wonder if Kinect is also causing people to upgrade their old Xbox to slims.

Definitely. But you wouldn't be able to figure the exact percentage by comparing bundles to standalone units anyway.

donny2112

Leondexter said:
It's pretty common knowledge that the 360 has an abnormally high tie ratio.

It's been below the PS2's tie ratio measured from launch since around the end of 2008. It then tracked pretty evenly with the Xbox for a while, before falling behind that level, as well. Of course, Xbox was long dead in hardware by this point from launch, so that kind of helped its tie ratio keep growing. :lol

Kafel said:
Thanks for the tag explanation. The link is broken indeed.

It's not broken. It's intended to link to whatever thread Leondexter is currently posting in. The implication is that he's "Fighting the Good Fight" everywhere he goes. :)

donny2112 said:
It's not broken. It's intended to link to whatever thread Leondexter is currently posting in. The implication is that he's "Fighting the Good Fight" everywhere he goes. :)

Hey, I didn't even realize that's what it links to, now. It used to link to GAF's member list, which I assumed meant nothing more than that it was broken somehow.

matmanx1

Another good article JVM. I agree with your thoughts regarding XBLA and PSN and the dollars being spent there as opposed to traditional packaged retail goods. It's a trend that is only going to gain momentum and it's my main beef with the NPD. How can you reflect on the health of the industry if you can't (or won't) track and share information on a large segment of the market?

Top Bottom