• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal appeals court maintains suspension of Trump’s immigration order

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerTapTap

Oh man is my "deplorable" mother pissed.

Haven't spoken to her since inauguration, but just had to text her today that "the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is Making America Great Again"

Lets just say the dam has burst.

Now we're even.

Mouthing off to my parents is very hard rn. I'll just let 'em suffer in their lonesome on this one.

Edit: The act of NOT mouthing off to them is hard rn. Doing so would be very easy but not be particularly helpful for anyone at all

rec0ded1

wGOWXUA.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Michael Moore ‏@MMFlint

Michael Moore Retweeted Donald J. Trump
OK!! SEE YOU THERE!! JUST AS SOON AS I FINISH MY SHOPPING AT NORDSTROM!!

Well, she is right.

There are some good arguments as to why things like public statements and legislative history should be ignored when interpreting the intent of a law. Scalia believed they shouldn't be considered at all. The rest of the Court believe they play a role but have never really articulated any specifics about what that role is or how significant they should be treated.

I mean, Scalia was wrong about many things, including that.

Michelle Friedland. And you're probably right.

100%.

Mouthing off to my parents is very hard rn. I'll just let 'em suffer in their lonesome on this one.
I wouldn't have poked her, save that she is a hardcore self-described "deplorable", and called me at work during the inauguration, in tears, so happy that America was going to be Great Again.

And believe me, she knew my politics very clearly, and knew what she was doing in calling me.

So this was a bit overdue.

So, how does Patrick Kennedy seem to view this? And how soon will the Supreme Court take this up?

The decision to grant cert (i.e., issue a writ of certiorari and thus hear the case) is discretionary. SCOTUS cases are discretionary; they don't hear everything. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certiorari#Federal_courts.

Again, this is just the TRO - the temporary restraining order to enforce the EO. This isn't the EO on the merits. I don't even know if SCOTUS would grant cert.

This really shouldn't be a concern. A lot of Trump supporters are lazy assholes who use to make themselves look tougher than they are. In reality they won't do shit.

Not true
A trumpian bought a ticket to Alaska to "punch you in the face" over a twitter argument with a libtard. The libtard lied about his location and the alt-right guy bought the ticket.

commedieu

Banned
Not true
A trumpian bought a ticket to Alaska to "punch you in the face" over a twitter argument with a libtard. The libtard lied about his location and the alt-right guy bought the ticket.

and a moron* was just busted poisoning himself with Ricin.

*white supremacist

Anyone feel Trump is hell bent to put this order in place now because he's intent an attacking the Middle East as soon as possible and it will result in a bigger refugee crisis that he wants to prevent from spilling over into the U.S.?

Anyone feel Trump is hell bent to put this order in place now because he's intent an attacking the Middle East as soon as possible and it will result in a bigger refugee crisis that he wants to prevent from spilling over into the U.S.?

I think he's just a racist who wanted to pander to his whiny base that's terrified of brown people.

Mortemis

Banned
This makes so damn happy. Fuuuuuuuck yes! Go fuck yourself you soggy ass cheetos puff.

Michael Moore ‏@MMFlint

This is amazing. <3

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

No. It's just that he wants to win.

Not true

Okay, so that's one example. It's very rare for a Trumpian to ever follow through with a threat of his in general though.

Tobor

Nope. Trump wants this order in place because he thought it would be an easy campaign promise he could keep and rushed it without planning. Now that he's losing he's pissed because he billed himself as the great winner and this was supposed to be a slam dunk.

He's an angry child. Nothing more deep to it than that.

Bsigg12

No. This is about his ego and being beat.

Between this and the ethics stuff coming up, I really hope shit just starts falling apart for the White House.

numble

That's assuming that public statements can be used primarily to discern intent when a plain text reading of a statute is facially neutral. As I said before, it will be VERY interesting if this case is ever heard on the merits at the Supreme Court.

Wait until the decision is made on the merits of the case. We are only dealing with the preliminary TRO at the moment not the wholesale legality of the ban.
It isn't facially neutral. There is a preference for minority religions from Muslim countries.

There is no chance in hell pissy donny is getting a 2/3rds majority to amend the constitution in both house and senate.

He wouldn't need it, a constitutional convention can be declared if 34 states ask Congress for it. Republicans currently control the governorship and legislatures of 32 states. After any convention passes any amendments they deem to bring up, only 38 states would need to pass them to become law.

It has never been called in history to date, all constitutional amendments have been done from Congress but the power and process does exist for states to bypass Congress in making amendments.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Oh man is my "deplorable" mother pissed.

Haven't spoken to her since inauguration, but just had to text her today that "the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is Making America Great Again"

Lets just say the dam has burst.

Now we're even.
I would like examples but i can imagine them instead

He wouldn't need it, a constitutional convention can be declared if 34 states ask Congress for it. Republicans currently control the governorship and legislatures of 32 states. After any convention passes any amendments they deem to bring up, only 38 states would need to pass them to become law.

It has never been called in history to date, all constitutional amendments have been done from Congress but the power and process does exist for states to bypass Congress in making amendments.

As I understand it there are 5 states to go, which is a lot and then as you say more are needed to ratify anything this quorum comes up with
And it's been dragging on for years
Like that thing in It Follows, it's moving but not very quickly.

It isn't facially neutral. There is a preference for minority religions from Muslim countries.

The order doesn't use the phrase "Muslim countries," it merely provides a possible exception to individuals of a minority religion from the selected countries. That is "facially neutral."

Nope. Trump wants this order in place because he thought it would be an easy campaign promise he could keep and rushed it without planning. Now that he's losing he's pissed because he billed himself as the great winner and this was supposed to be a slam dunk.

This.

I love that Hillary's "3-0" tweet now has more likes that Trump's "SEE YOU IN COURT"

That's great.

Michael Moore &#8207;@MMFlint

So fucking good.

SerTapTap

There's no plan. That's plain to see with how incredibly terribly this order was enacted. Even people in favor of banning mooselimbs have to be pissed at how badly it was handled.

Trump wanted to make big on one of his more plausible yet flashy proposals, called up Bannon and Giuliani, signed it and now he's fucked. He can't stand criticism so he just keeps screaming. I wonder how he'll take a SCOTUS loss.

I dunno, they'll vote in his appointees for sure (as many have said "most first picks get approved so whatever"), but I don't think he'll have enough friends even in the Rs to do such a unprecedented move. And he'd have to do it before 2019's congress. There's no way the usual legislative branch backlash isn't happening with this presidency.

I dunno who planted it in his head that that would be an easy thing to kee-wait yes I do

numble

The order doesn't use the phrase "Muslim countries," it merely provides a possible exception to individuals of a minority religion from the selected countries. That is "facially neutral."
That is still not facially neutral. It establishes discrimination against majority religions. If there were preferential treatment for people from majority religions it is still touching the establishment of religion.

SerTapTap

That is still not facially neutral. It establishes discrimination against majority religions. If there were preferential treatment for people from majority religions it is still touching the establishment of religion.

And his own words tie the noose around his neck. I'm a little disappointed this court didn't make a real statement about the religious nature, but I figure they went for the safest win.

I don't see a SCOTUS majority ruling in the EO's favor. Trump can't buy people who have a job for life. I wouldn't even be entirely surprised if Gorsuch, if he's on the bench in time, voted against it. He seems to already be condemning Trump's statements RE the judicial branch (he sort of has to in order to do his job).

That is an example of a facially neutral law having a disparate impact on a protected class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom