• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds seize Kickasstorrents domain, owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. I hear even the staff has to download some episodes. Some distributing models are so shitty.
I probably wouldn't pirate shows if things weren't so restrictive in Canada in regards to what's available for online streaming in Canada. But I mean the media industry makes things so consumer unfriendly then wonder why people don't wantto pay for it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow he got ratted out by apple.

It also shows that Apple handed over personal details of Vaulin after the investigator cross-referenced an IP-address used for an iTunes transaction with an IP-address that was used to login to KAT’s Facebook account.

I've always wondered how much money sites like TPB and KAT bring in.

I mean they are essentially giving everything away for free, but still making millions of dollars in the process.

I would love to see a movie about the behind the scenes stuff in the Torrenting world, or even the story behind Silk Road would be a good movie.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I've always wondered how much money sites like TPB and KAT bring in.

I mean they are essentially giving everything away for free, but still making millions of dollars in the process.

I would love to see a movie about the behind the scenes stuff in the Torrenting world, or even the story behind Silk Road would be a good movie.

alex winter has directed a few docs on these topics

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Honestly, if they can keep KAT and TPB offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

No other torrent sites come close to the sheer traffic, size and catalogue of torrents that those two websites have.

The age of piracy will finally be coming to an end (mostly) and good riddance, to be honest.

Sweet summer child

Bu-bu-bu customer privacy, secure data?!?!?!?!?

I want them to make Steam for Movies/TV.

A globalized storefront, at unbeatable prices were consumers becomes addicted to finishing collections and tracking. Where you can gift, and where people all over the world has access to the content at the same time.

On such a storefront where you could easily make the things add up that torrents would not give you; the dvd/br extras, the sub-community pages, tracking of how much time you have spent watching a show, streaming your reaction from the storefront while watching things, making reviews, information about your account, the store recommending shows and movies for you based on your purchases and viewing habits.

I feel there is a desire to do it. I feel that if there was a store like that, when Joe Shmoe hears from his friend that Marco Polo Season 2 is amazing, that he will buy the season pass 2 because its on sale if you preorder the season before it comes out, and that might lead him to buy Season 1 when it goes on a summer sale down the line even though he has already watched it a long time ago and don't really need it, but fuck it.

Many people are OCD freaks. They just have to opt into a system that is too good for people to say no to. When I watch my steam information I find all the data surrounding of how much time I've spent, how much I've completed, how long it has taken me, how far I am into it, the value of my account, the habits and my taste, and so on, very interesting. It's not very interesting by itself, but it becomes interesting if you suddenly compare your stats across everything.

And if Marco Polo's store page then has a community hub where fans are talking / shitting on the show, there is another element to wanting to use it as well.
I'd have to be a good price of course. If I buy Hateful Eight for 9 dollars. Chances are I'll pick up the other Tarantino films as well. And just like that, because my OCD I feel sort of nice that I got the entire Tarantino Library digitally.
And as everyone gets into new directors, shows and genres all the time, it stands to reason in my mind that through our consumer culture we still value to own things. The price just has to be right, and Hollywood just need to realize it.

Lemonz

latest

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What was all that grandstanding about not cooperating with the FBI for then?

yeah why would a company that refuses to systematically disable their encryption exposing 250,000,000 peoples personal photos, documents, and lives cooperate when it comes to turning over the unencrypted first and last names associated with an IP address? since these are clearly the same thing, they must be hypocrites or something!

Honestly, if they can keep KAT and TPB offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

No other torrent sites come close to the sheer traffic, size and catalogue of torrents that those two websites have.

The age of piracy will finally be coming to an end (mostly) and good riddance, to be honest.

Honestly, if they can keep KaZaa offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

Honestly, if they can keep Napster offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

I could go on...

Deadstar

Honestly, if they can keep KaZaa offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

Honestly, if they can keep Napster offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

I could go on...

To slow piracy you have to create a system that is more convenient to use than what the pirates use. See steam for pc. PC piracy still obviously exists but I would guess it's nowhere near as high as it would be if Steam wasn't created.

Saganator

So is the new site up yet?

KAT only got big once the top site died before it. I can't remember all the sites before it, other than TPB, but there have been multiple torrent sites that have gone.

Software pirating will never fully go away. It's hobby for some people to rip and crack software, others are collectors, those people will always have their avenues, everyone else are just future customers. For the masses that use torrent sites, the only way that will slow down (never gonna go away) if people's quality of life improve and they're able to buy their software. Instead of wasting money on law enforcement and lawyers they should throw their money at charities or donate to politicians who will bring the most kids out of poverty.

saunderez

I could go on...

The hilarity is Usenet still exists and is older than all of them. Oh shit...probably not supposed to talk about Usenet. It must be a secret surely.

Kvik

It also shows that Apple handed over personal details of Vaulin after the investigator cross-referenced an IP-address used for an iTunes transaction with an IP-address that was used to login to KAT’s Facebook account.

Seems like a rookie mistake. You're running one of the biggest private torrent site on the internet, and has neglected to use VPN for your everyday internet activities.

Lol let me tell you something...

And another will rise in its place. And another.

When will they learn that piracy is a non issue. The vast majority of it is done by people who either can not or will not ever pay for any of the content they pirate. There is basically nothing to gain from all this effort.

The absolute crash of music sales shows this argument is bunk.

BibiMaghoo

Do they not realise this only slows traffic for a day or two? It is counter productive because more clones will pop up, making the sites actually easier to find, instead of harder. They need a new method.

The absolute crash of music sales shows this argument is bunk.

That is because of streaming, not piracy.

Really the problem lies with the distribution of content. It's been proven that people will pay for content more times that pirating it if it is made available to them easily. Netflix and other services have proven people are very willing to pay to see what they want. The problem comes with region locking and ridiculous pay walls.

There is a reason GoT is the most pirated show in history.

Acidote

And there are like 20 mirrors already through proxyportal. Many new sites soon like everytime they do something like this.

Condom

Fucked up now I can't download my (PES) mods quickly.

Well at least the US justice department made the world a little bit better for multinational corporations, they needed the help.

The argument that torrenters are the kind of people who wouldn't purchase the content anyway doesn't fly. I know plenty of people who pirate new episodes of shows every week, but will go out and buy the home video release down the line.

Your comparison is unfair IMO. The people your referring to seem to be pirating out of necessity rather then not wanting to pay for the content. You even mention that they ultimately pay for it on home releases as well. Its not their fault the market hasn't caught up to piracy. If it was as easy to pay for and collect the episodes on a weekly basis, as it is to pirate them, and the quality was as good as the home releases, then the people your referring to would likely go that route rather then pirate them. The reason they likely pirate them is because they missed the episode for whatever reason or don't have cable and know that they will ultimately pay for it when its available so they do not consider their action piracy. This isn't comparable to individuals would literally pirate everything just "because". I had friends in highscool/university that would pirate everything and anything for two reason, because school internet was free and why not (their logic not mine)... I had a friend who had a 2tb hard drive (that was huge back in 2010 to me anyways...he ended up giving it to me for my birthday and i still have it) filled with movies and tv shows just to have, it was basically a hobby to just download whatever new had just come out. He would have multiple version of everything as well because he was literally just downloading everything. For example, a shaky screen cam of a movie would leak to the internet, he'd download it, a slightly better shaky screen cam of the same movie comes out a week later he downloads it, the dvd dled, the blueray dled and the same could be said about pretty much everything he was downloading which made it pretty clear that he was just downloading stuff for the sake of it. That and the fact that he wasn't really as interested in actually watching the movies or tv shows as he was interested in downloading them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom