• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds seize Kickasstorrents domain, owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, if they can keep KAT and TPB offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

No other torrent sites come close to the sheer traffic, size and catalogue of torrents that those two websites have.

The age of piracy will finally be coming to an end (mostly) and good riddance, to be honest.

nobody tell this guy about all those private torrent trackers with insanely complete libraries that make the pirate bay look downright pathetic in comparison

Gattsu25

Banned
Who cares when you have a guy running a torrent site.

R4fODtb.gif

Those aren't safe either.

Sites like Demonoid got nuked and have never really recovered.

Demonoid, compared to the kind of private trackers I'm talking about (the names of which I will not divulge here or via PM so don't even bother), is like your local pawn shop compared to Amazon.com. About ten years ago I was a member of a (relatively speaking) high-profile private music torrent tracker, which had a simply insane library of music and zero tolerance for poor rips (and which also had unreleased and soon-to-be-released albums hit it on a regular basis), which has since been taken down, and replaced by like three apparently superior alternatives to my understanding. It also paved the way for many others like it outside of the realm of music. These sites tend to cover their asses hard, compared to a site like Demonoid, if the one I've got in mind was any indication.

It was the downfall of that site, and the disgusting veracity with which people defended their proclivities toward piracy in the wake of its closure, that pretty much put me off from piracy entirely. Didn't wanna be associated with that school of thought. It's kind of why drm and piracy discussions over on gaming-side get me triggered lmao, that shit matters.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
this thread just reminded me im a member of a super obscure private site with vhs rips of saturday morning cartoons with original commercials brb

j0hnnix

Honestly, if they can keep KAT and TPB offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

No other torrent sites come close to the sheer traffic, size and catalogue of torrents that those two websites have.

The age of piracy will finally be coming to an end (mostly) and good riddance, to be honest.

keaton.gif

You must be very young

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So is the site dead without him? I remember back when they took down TPB, it was up days if not hours later.

la_briola

So is the site dead without him? I remember back when they took down TPB, it was up days if not hours later.

He was probably not alone, if the site was/is as huge as the article says.
Look at NeoGAF for example, Lewandowski is the owner, but afaik Gromph works on the server side.

They can probably spin up some new servers with new domain names that look similar enough.

Kvik

I never knew Poland and USA has an extradition agreement. KAT didn't even host the actual content, unless they raided the site admin's seedbox(es), then well, it's another matter entirely.

The only reason they chase up these public torrent sites is because the audience has become big enough to actually put a dent in the actual potential revenue of the content holders.

Won't matter much in the grand scheme of things, anyway. As long as the internet exists, there will be piracy.

Kieli

He made a bunch of wealthy people angry, which is why the US is kicking into extremely active gear and desperate to extradite and charge him.

Meanwhile, the US government is using drones to kill innocent families, and the Whitehouse don't give a fuck.

Oh, also forgot US police have a carte blanche to kill anyone who so much as looks at 'em funny.

Just a warning, I've seen people banned for less than some posts in this thread (as in, admitting to piracy). That was a few years ago though, not sure if it's still as strict.

And yeah I know admitting to using a torrent site doesn't have to mean you're pirating. But uh, c'mon now.

He was probably not alone, if the site was/is as huge as the article says.
Look at NeoGAF for example, Lewandowski is the owner, but afaik Gromph works on the server side.

They can probably spin up some new servers with new domain names that look similar enough.

Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom