• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds seize Kickasstorrents domain, owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Why do they only go after torrent sites and never after Usenet stuff? Can someone explain that to me :)?

This should be a new thread.

Fuck Apple.
You should read what stumpokapow wrote:
yeah why would a company that refuses to systematically disable their encryption exposing 250,000,000 peoples personal photos, documents, and lives cooperate when it comes to turning over the unencrypted first and last names associated with an IP address? since these are clearly the same thing, they must be hypocrites or something!

danowat

Banned
Why do they only go after torrent sites and never after Usenet stuff? Can someone explain that to me :)? I mean, I know it is different.

Usenet gets hit all the time, well, the nzb sites do.

fwiw, Kat proxies are still up and showing data uploaded very recently.

Social

Honestly, if they can keep KAT and TPB offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

No other torrent sites come close to the sheer traffic, size and catalogue of torrents that those two websites have.

The age of piracy will finally be coming to an end (mostly) and good riddance, to be honest.

You can't be serious? Torrents are just one way of obtaining pirated files, there are about a million other ways. This won't stop the internet.

Haunted

ThePirateBay
suprnova
mininova
kickasstorrents

Torrent sites are the entertainment business' hydra.

edit: oh, TPB is still up? my bad. Thought there was a big hullabaloo about the owners getting tried a couple years ago and just assumed the site got taken down as a consequence.

ViciousDS

Banned
Demonoid, compared to the kind of private trackers I'm talking about (the names of which I will not divulge here or via PM so don't even bother), is like your local pawn shop compared to Amazon.com. About ten years ago I was a member of a (relatively speaking) high-profile private music torrent tracker, which had a simply insane library of music and zero tolerance for poor rips (and which also had unreleased and soon-to-be-released albums hit it on a regular basis), which has since been taken down, and replaced by like three apparently superior alternatives to my understanding. It also paved the way for many others like it outside of the realm of music. These sites tend to cover their asses hard, compared to a site like Demonoid, if the one I've got in mind was any indication.

It was the downfall of that site, and the disgusting veracity with which people defended their proclivities toward piracy in the wake of its closure, that pretty much put me off from piracy entirely. Didn't wanna be associated with that school of thought. It's kind of why drm and piracy discussions over on gaming-side get me triggered lmao, that shit matters.

Your probably discussing a site that starting with an I

Yes, good luck taking those down....dear god, its ran by nothing but seedbox users who FTP to their servers and uber groups and their amount of content is even more. But they all hide behind an uber restricted invite system.....makes it harder to plant seeds and track torrents to the users. Even if they do get IP's they are all out of country and belong to a website because none of them directly download the torrent themselves.

Last time I think I torrented anything was.......high school before I got income to buy shit.

edit: oh, TPB is still up? my bad. Thought there was a big hullabaloo about the owners getting tried a couple years ago and just assumed the site got taken down as a consequence.

There are tons of mirrors always popping up. They even blocked the most common domains here, but the mirrors still work. Or just using a VPN to connect to the sites.

But there is no question that it has become harder to find stuff over the past few years. They might not win, but they are always ramping up their efforts and ruining copyright law and personal ownership rights in the process.

The amount of power that media companies have over content these days is getting ridiculous. Every electronic device sold has multiple pieces of software and hardware specifically built to hinder their owners to utilize it fully. In a lot of countries media companies have explicit rights to spy on private citizens to combat file copying, and in some countries they have the power to actively censor the Internet.

RS4-

Lol I remember when Elite Torrents was around. Maybe they were the first or close to, that got a rip of Episode 3.

Site was gone a day later or something.

Edit - holy fuck, just read a news bit about ET getting taken down, and a name of one of the dudes charged popped up. This guy ran a pyramid scheme on SRK (and other sites). I think one of the admins at the time helped him, made it sound legit and all.

Why do they only go after torrent sites and never after Usenet stuff? Can someone explain that to me :)?

Usenet is hard to track, countless servers with access by anyone from anywhere. They can go after catalogue sites but they don't actually store copyrighted material just a link to a file on a server (via nzb), and you don't really need a catalogue site anyway. They can tell the server owner that 'item A' is on there and they want it taken down, but it means going through millions of files, many with codenames trying to find 'item A' in the first place, by the time it's actually removed it's already been reposted several times under different names and has spread to other servers. In the end it's easier going after the easy target with lots more users, and that's torrents.

Why is everyone so surprised by Apple's efforts?

Dude/KAT was taking potential money away from Apple and their partners. Of course they'd take dude out. He was basically their enemy.

Why do we waste so much time fighting wars that we cant win?

bald+eagle+crying.jpg

Because we are AMERICA damn it. You unpatriotic piece of scum

Honestly, if they can keep KAT and TPB offline and/or on the run, then law enforcement has pretty much won.

No other torrent sites come close to the sheer traffic, size and catalogue of torrents that those two websites have.

The age of piracy will finally be coming to an end (mostly) and good riddance, to be honest.

Have I ever told you about the story called Popcorn Time? The Pirate Bay Mysteries?

I like your positivity (and naivety).

Still not sure how the US is entitled to arrest a Ukrainian in Poland. Jurisdiction seems a little "off".

Team America: World Police. Tackling the issues nobody gives a shit about.

Well except for big business. You know, the important things.
It's not like there's an ongoing crisis in their own country that could use these resources and manpower.

What the fuck Apple? Guess you only like protecting the private details of terrorists and murderers but god forbid if there is a copyright abuser on the loose.
The best part is, they used information gathered from him PURCHASING MUSIC ON ITUNES. So like he was doing a perfectly legal legit way of acquiring copyrighted works.

Mistake

Never mind the apple stuff, why the hell is he using facebook? If I ran a site like that, forget social media and the big 3

man when they took down Demonoid is when i stopped using torrents for movies/tv series (in the time i didnt have the money or VPN'ing Netflix was a thing) and im not justifying stealing but fast forward some years and i pretty much own everything i used to pirate back then on BR/Digitally/streaming/etc

i discovered of the good movies and tv series that just werent available (not even to this day).

also thanks to Demonoid i discovered anime which ruined my life so not everything was good though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I like your positivity (and naivety).

Still not sure how the US is entitled to arrest a Ukrainian in Poland. Jurisdiction seems a little "off".

most crimes committed online allow individuals to be prosecuted in either the country they reside or the country where the victims reside; this is generally a good thing. for example, imagine some canadian runs a phone scam that scams your grandma, and the US has no jurisdiction to prosecute because the guy is in canada, and canada doesn't give you standing because the crimes allegedly occurred in the US. i agree that in this situation it's a little unusual because the implication is that the US was directly responsible for enforcement, not just extradition and prosecution, but I think that was probably with the consent and cooperation of local authorities, who probably don't have the skills necessary to do the digital forensics required for a case like this.

Apple wont unlock an iPhone belonging to a dead terrorist but they will fork over the info of someone running a torrent site.

OK then.

yes because if you know even a basic thing about how computers work you understand that providing the first and last names of someone in compliance of a court order is totally different than specifically designing a version of your operating system to remove the encryption that you use to protect hundreds of millions of innocent people.

but sure, all bad people are the same and any kind of cooperating with authorities is the same.

do you think if the feds did not know the name of the san bernadino shooter, but had his ip address, apple wouldn't have provided the name of the shooter? that's basically the case you need to make to sustain that there's a hypocrisy or disconnect here.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
A bunch of people I know use private trackers. This site going down isn't really going to affect anything at all.

Also, how did they link random dude buying music to owner of kickass torrents?

edit: read the article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom