• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 International available on Japanese PSN (see post #86 for info)

jts said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII on either PSN, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFVII exclusivity for Japanese PSN or you can kiss your business goodbye.

god stop this please

Ponn

Banned
I've just about had it. I got a piano black unmoddable PSP for christmas and have put off trying to trade it or sell it for a moddable PSP but this is pushing me over the edge in frustration. I want to play by the rules. I want to double dip on these games and give you money SONY but you are screwing me over here and giving me no choice.

Seriously, this is beyond the beyond levels of corporate retarded decison making here. How can there possibly be this much of a disparity. SCEJ Store = the correct way to make money, SCEA Store = the correct way to encourage piracy and throw away money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gkrykewy said:
::rolleyes::

Anyway, good for PS3 owners! Maybe this'll end up being multiplat in the US.

It already is..PS3/PSP.. ;)

I don't think what's basically a PSone ROM will end up on another machine (legally) :p They'd have to do an actual port to do that. (This is the PSone game running on emulators on PSP/PS3).

jett

D-Member
Smart to release it now with the FF7AC bundle coming, pretty neat for those that don't have it anymore/never owned it. . I still have the original non-GH release of FF7 though. :)

ShockingAlberto said:
god stop this please
steve_carell.jpg

"In Japan you must always commit suicide to avoid embarrassment."

Aru

gofreak said:

I don't think what's basically a PSone ROM will end up on another machine (legally) :p They'd have to do an actual port to do that. (This is the PSone game running on emulators on PSP/PS3).

They could port the
awful
PC version to the Xbox 360 :eek:

Chemo

Zoe said:
They also have to do with licensing issues, particularly if it's a translated game.
Could you be more of an apologist? They literally have no excuses at this point. Look at the amount of PSX games on the service, look at how long most of them have been there, and look at every other territory -- even EUROPE, formerly the red-headed stepchild of gaming territories, gets more PSX updates than North America.

It's a FACT that SCEA is not doing shit. Do not believe for a second that this is a licensing "issue." If they gave a shit about releasing these games, they'd get them licensed and release them. Licensing is paperwork and checks. I think that SCEA could handle paperwork and checks if they wanted to.

Zoe

Chemo said:
Could you be more of an apologist? They literally have no excuses at this point. Look at the amount of PSX games on the service, look at how long most of them have been there, and look at every other territory -- even EUROPE, formerly the red-headed stepchild of gaming territories, gets more PSX updates than North America.

I'm not trying to be an apologist. I'm just being a realist and pointing out that it takes more than just a quick run through QA to get these things out.

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8028161&postcount=38

gkryhewy

gofreak said:

Fair point, but I wonder whether something might be worked out. If not, I supposed I'll have to make due with the rest of my JRPG backlog.

B-Ri

Not even kidding, i had FFVII working on a custom firmware psp years ago. I finally got a slim and got over it and restored it to offficial firmware and gave it to my sister.

she somehow bricked it, and gunked it up with coke, i just unbricked it and am cleaning the gunk later, afterwhich, i was thinking of trying to put FFVII in it just for jollys.

Now THIS?! I remember wasnt it reported forever ago that enhanced ports were going to make it to PSN, that a special deal was struck with SE and SCE?

jett

D-Member
If it's not on western PSNs it's Sony's fault for sure. They published the game outside of Japan, and probably retain the rights.

LTTP Fuck you SCEA. You guys don't get it. Super Collapse 3? lawlz fuck off with that shit. Not complaining about FF but the lack of actual ps1 games on the store.

Deft Beck

It's obvious Sony is just stalling for E3, when they will attempt to revive the PSP with new stuff including more PS1 classics (which will arrive on a regular basis by the end of the year)

EDIT:
Isn't it kind of weird that the #1 wanted download for the PS3/PSP is more PS1 games?

jett

D-Member
I wonder what's the size of FF7 on PSN. They also probably had to alter some stuff in the game to make the multiple disc thing workable on the PS3. Is it one file or 4 separate downloads?

Blablurn

jett said:
I wonder what's the size of FF7 on PSN. They also probably had to alter some stuff in the game to make the multiple disc thing workable on the PS3. Is it one file or 4 separate downloads?

i guess it's one file. i downloaded mgs1 from the japanese store and you can switch the "discs" by selecting them in the "home menu"

It's all very disappointing and it's not just Sony. The whole Majora's Mask debacle being on the Japanese and European stores, but not the U.S. Wii Shop, makes no sense to me. There is absolutely no reason why that game shouldn't have come out on Monday in the U.S. FFVII International makes a bit more sense because it's only in Japanese, but it's not just that. It's not just that the Japanese PS Store is "better," no, it grinds the U.S. PS store into nothing but dust and ash. There's no reason for this. Okay, so Japan gets FFVII International. Cool, it's in Japanese, whatever. But what does the U.S. store get? Jack shit, that's what.

It's one thing for Japan to get all this greatness, but absolutely nothing on the U.S. store? Come the fuck on. This is ridiculous.

ajfoucault

Even if they released this version in America, I would not be pleased until the re-translated the whole thing again!
Jenova: "Beacause, you are... a puppet."

ajfoucault said:
Even if they released this version in America, I would not be pleased until the re-translated the whole thing again!
Jenova: "Beacause, you are... a puppet."

They misspelled 'because' like that? :lol

Speevy

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wollan

Blablurn said:
so does the pal store :(
eu.gif
NOW UP!
/!\ Some content not available in every Store.

DEMOS

► Flock! (91 MB)
► The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (923 MB)

GAMES

► Flock! (€14.99)
► Hail to the Chimp (€14,99)
► Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (€9.99)
► Worms (€9.99)

PSP GAMES

► Ape Academy (€19.99)
► Lemmings (€19.99)
► Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (€19.99)
► Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (€19.99)

PSN ANNIVERSARY PRICE DROPS

► Blast Factor (€4.99)
► Calling All Cars (€4.99)
► Crash Commando (€5.99)
► Dark Mist (€4.99)
► echochrome (€5.99)
► Elefunk (€4.99)
► High Velocity Bowling (€5.99)
► Nucleus (€4.99)
► PAIN (€4.99)
► PixelJunk Racers (€4.99)
► Piyotama (€2.99)
► Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty (€9.99)
► Rift: Everyday Shooter (€4.99)
► Siren Blood Curse (€19.99)
► Snakeball (€4.99)
► Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (€14.99)
► Toy Home (€4.99)
► WipEout HD (€14.99)

ADD-ONS

► Guitar Hero World Tour

○ Silversun Pickups Pack (€5.49 | €1.99)
♪ "Panic Switch"
♪ "It's Nice to Know You Work Alone"
♪ "Well Thought Out Twinkles"

► LittleBigPlanet
○ Patapon costume (€1.99)
○ Rag Doll Kung Fu costumes (€2.99)

► Resident Evil 5
○ Versus Mode (€4.99)

► Rock Band

○ various songs (à €1.49)
♪ Black Tide - "Warriors of Time"
♪ Bullet for My Valentine - "Waking the Demon"
♪ The Shins - "New Slang"

○ Toby Keith Pack 01 (€7.99 | €1.49)
♪ "Beer for My Horses"
♪ "I Love This Bar"
♪ "She’s a Hottie"
♪ "Should’ve Been a Cowboy"
♪ "Who’s Your Daddy?"
♪ "How Do You Like Me No

○ "Ten" - Pearl Jam (€11.25)
♪ "Once"
♪ "Even Flow"
♪ "Why Go"
♪ "Black"
♪ "Jeremy"
♪ "Oceans"
♪ "Porch"
♪ "Garden"
♪ "Deep"
♪ "Release"
♪ "Master/Slave"

► Quantum of Solace
○ Camille Map Pack (€4.99)

VIDEOS

► inFamous
○ City of Fear Trailer

► Mirror's Edge
○ Pure Time Trailers Trailer

► PAIN
David Hasselhoff Trailer

► Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic
○ Master Trailer

PSP VIDEOS

► MotorStorm Arctic Edge
Trailer

► Resistance: Retribution
○ Shattered Stone Trailer
○ Resistance Connect

THEMES & WALLPAPERS

► Crash Commando - wallpaper

Just saying. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gkrykewy said:
Fair point, but I wonder whether something might be worked out. If not, I supposed I'll have to make due with the rest of my JRPG backlog.

I was being a bit picky..I mean they COULD do a multi-plat port (or even a remake*) also down the line.

* when I say remake, I don't really mean a E3 05 style remake, if there ever was one it would probably be something a lot more modest. Maybe a remake of the rendering engine for some nicer graphics rather than remaking all the assets from scratch etc. They're re-doing I-VI on DS, right? These are much easier remakes to do..but if they found a 'easy' way to remake VII and onwards, I'm sure they will at some point.. people seem willing to double-dip on VII again and again and again..

Anyways, I digress..

Teknoman

We dont even have Resident Evil 1 or MGS 1 yet...PAL store is still better because EU PSN accounts work just fine getting online with Wipeout HD and you guys got SH1 PSN.

Speevy

Banned
Why do they call it the international edition if you can't choose your language?

Um Jammer Lammy is the only PS1 game on the Japanese PSN which lets you choose English or Japanese, as both texted and spoken.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I own the PS1 disc version of this, but I will be buying the DL version so I can play it on my PSP (I don't have custom firmware). 1500 Yen is a pretty crazy price considering all the other PS1 games are so much cheaper, but it is still cheap enough for me to buy it.

Thrakier

Teknoman said:
We dont even have Resident Evil 1 or MGS 1 yet...PAL store is still better because EU PSN accounts work just fine getting online with Wipeout HD and you guys got SH1 PSN.

It's gone again though.

Teknoman

Thrakier said:
It's gone again though.
Oh well...guess we're on somewhat equal footing again. Not sure what SCEA's problem is though...especially since there are still thousands of FFVII and FF fans in general waiting to throw their cash at a somewhat portable and not insanely pricey version of FFVII.

Speevy

Banned
Zefah said:
I own the PS1 disc version of this, but I will be buying the DL version so I can play it on my PSP (I don't have custom firmware). 1500 Yen is a pretty crazy price considering all the other PS1 games are so much cheaper, but it is still cheap enough for me to buy it.

I'd buy the damn thing at 2,000 Yen if it had English.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm not belittling anyones real desire to download and play PS1 games. But is it truly a huge deal? Is the outrage because something like VC has more games on it (and rights issues were, undoubtably, less complicated) and PSN doesn't measure up? Is it something you want to have around out of principal? Or is it a real need to actually play these games?

I tend to lean towards "it's nice to have a library available". I'll be honest though, there's more than enough games coming out now to keep up with. Let alone old ass games that I may download out of novelty and toss away again pretty quickly.

Given Vic Ireland's post though, getting these titles up on PSN isn't as cut and dry as we think.

Speevy

Banned
I have 90 PS1 games on my PS3, and more than half of them were originally on the Japanese store.

It's a HUGE deal, and yes, I play them.

Aru

3 years later, FFVII is finally on the PSN !
On the first screenshots of the PS1 emulator when it was announced, FF7 appeared in the list of downloadable games. The game wasn't really "announced" but still.
3 years !

psone_emu.jpg

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Kintaro said:
I'm not belittling anyones real desire to download and play PS1 games. But is it truly a huge deal?

No, it isn't.

I've no idea why people are so excited either. All PS3 owners could play FFVII on the PS3 if they owned an original copy, while CFW PSP owners could play it from the memory stick.

Judging by the reactions, it seems most here didn't realise the "International" version even existed until now. For the record, the extras are identical to the PAL version (which is in English, of course).

RiverBed

Banned
jts said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII on either PSN, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFVII exclusivity for Japanese PSN or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Isn't this a copy/paste post? I remember reading it way back when....

Ponn

Banned
Cataferal said:
No, it isn't.

I've no idea why people are so excited either. All PS3 owners could play FFVII on the PS3 if they owned an original copy, while CFW PSP owners could play it from the memory stick.

Oh, is THAT ALL it takes. *slaps forehead* Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Chemo said:

It's a FACT that SCEA is not doing shit. Do not believe for a second that this is a licensing "issue." If they gave a shit about releasing these games, they'd get them licensed and release them. Licensing is paperwork and checks. I think that SCEA could handle paperwork and checks if they wanted to.
Glad people are finally getting upset about this. They've been promising us psx games on the Playstation Network for far too long to have the bare bones selection that's currently available. For YEARS they've been saying it'll get better, it's all bullshit. It's obvious that they have other priorities and this is clearly at the very bottom of the list.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DMeisterJ said:
Who in the hell does the compression for the PS Store?

thats_the_joke.jpg

I don't think much compression goes on at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprise if the files you download are just ISOs or some equivalent CD image format of the original discs.

Speevy

Banned
As old as the PS1 is, they could introduce the ability to copy games to your hard drive.

You'd probably still need the disc, but it would be a nice gesture.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Zefah said:
I don't think much compression goes on at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprise if the files you download are just ISOs or some equivalent CD image format of the original discs.

That's my problem. You don't compress the game at all, you don't alter it in any way from it's original form, yet you make it seem like you are trying to ionize plutonium when you give us reasons why the store isn't overflowing with PS1 classics.

*not 'you' as in you, but 'you' as in
fuck
SCEA, or SCE in general.

Speevy

Banned
I really do think there's a tremendous force of "Too much of a hassle/not worth our while" pushing against SCEA.

Incompetence would amount to having a random library dispersed throughout the year, but if you haven't noticed, the selection of PSN games (HD) has gotten so much better, so much more consistent, and they even added trophies, custom soundtracks, and other features to their games.

Yeah, screw SCEA, but it's not because they don't know.

Top Bottom