• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV Shadowbringers Expansion Announced

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Some highlights from watching the show:
-Blue Mage confirmed for patch 4.5. Caps out at level 50. Cap will be raised with the expansion.
-Vierra very strongly hinted at.
-Multiple other new jobs.
-Cross World travel. Use the aetherytes in the main 3 cities to travel to other servers in the same data center.
-Crafters and gatherers can help rebuild the Ishgard Citadel. Hinted at possible housing there.
-NPC Trust system to play through group content with various NPCs.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am wondering if they will raise the cap on it right away or if they are going to slowly raise it over a few patches in the expansion. It might be awhile before BLU is playable at endgame. I think they are going to give more details tomorrow.

CpK0x3C.jpg

Last edited:

Xiaoki

Weird that they introduce Blue Mage during Stormblood when there is a bunch of Geomancer stuff in Stormblood.

Guess Blue Mage is more popular though.

cm osi

not a fan of magic classes but interested in BLU. i kinda tried back then in FFXI but that game was hard. i really had no time to go and collect all those spells

Pejo

Gold Member
Due to how the games play so differently, there is virtually no chance this hits the customization and versatility of FFXI's BLU. I can't even get excited about what this will be. I think RDM is a perfect example of how this will end up.

Holy crap when Treasures of Aht Urhgan was released with Puppetmaster, Corsair, and Blue Mage. That was an epic expansion. If I haven't played an MMO since FFXI, would I like FFXIV?

I had BLU 75 back in the day on XI. Definitely a fun back-up job. This has a lot to live up to. Not only was the job cool, but the whole expansion's story was built around BLU as well in really interesting ways.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Holy crap when Treasures of Aht Urhgan was released with Puppetmaster, Corsair, and Blue Mage. That was an epic expansion. If I haven't played an MMO since FFXI, would I like FFXIV?

It's a themepark MMO more like WoW then the old MMOs. If you don't mind that and like FF stuff you should like it. It has a good story and can be found pretty cheap. I believe there is a trial you can get that lasts for a week or two.

Dunki

Yeah this might me bring back to play a solo blm xD

but seriously it seems you can even get spells/abilities from primals which makes it really interesting^^

I loved FFXI even though it had so many flaws especially regading parties and group searching. This one is much better and the story overall is fantastic after the base game. Jobs are really fun there is no real way for gil seller to ruin the economy even though I do not know how it is now and you get equipment not with money but by plaiyng the game and raiding.

To me it is the best MMO out there by far.

Last edited:

Azzurri

The problem I have with FFXIV is that YoshiP never changes the formula and try's something new like they do in WOW. Yea, they might fail like BfA has been so far, but at least they trying something new every xpac. FFXIV is literally the same formula every expansion and every patch.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The problem I have with FFXIV is that YoshiP never changes the formula and try's something new like they do in WOW. Yea, they might fail like BfA has been so far, but at least they trying something new every xpac. FFXIV is literally the same formula every expansion and every patch.

That's one of my biggest concerns. So far everything just looks like more of the same. I've been playing a lot less during SB for that reason.

Although I guess they did try to mix it up a little with Eureka. That is so boring though I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

Haven´t played this game since early 2018 but would definitely resub for some roegadyn gunblade action. Just make it happen.

haxan7

Banned

Yup, exactly. I played from release until 2016 and have tried to go back a couple times. Never sticks for more than a week or 2 because it's the exact same progression system I faithfully played every day for years. The grind has become a stale old slog.

The amount of fun you get out of your time investment is just way too low. Fuck tomestones.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
2 words come to mind.
Total epicity :messenger_face_screaming:

The story of Final Fantasy XIV is evolving in a very surprising and interesting way.
Very curious to know more details about the expansion.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I don't think they really need to do much to change anything. The formula works and has stayed fun for years, plus they keep adding more stuff to do on top of it.

They announced Blue Mage is designed for solo play not parties. Hype gone.
I expected it. This game isn't FFXI - it doesn't offer the versatility in battle that game did. As such, there's no guarantee a BLU would have the necessary abilities for a group duty, especially in regards to Extreme+ content.

But yeah, as someone who mainly plays FFXIV solo these days (most of my friends have moved on from the game, sadly), I'm still super hyped.

Dunki

I expected it. This game isn't FFXI - it doesn't offer the versatility in battle that game did. As such, there's no guarantee a BLU would have the necessary abilities for a group duty, especially in regards to Extreme+ content.

But yeah, as someone who mainly plays FFXIV solo these days (most of my friends have moved on from the game, sadly), I'm still super hyped.
FFXI had also hese jobs like Beastmaster which was never really welcomed in a exp party.. Honestly I think Solo jobs can be fun as well. And it reduces the amount of people you will see in party content just chosing blue mage. But in the end I hoped for Beast master as first solo class XD

Last edited:

royox

They announced Blue Mage is designed for solo play not parties. Hype gone.

It's a shame but it's the only way BLU could come in as a real BLUE MAGE.

BUT! Let's not forget some things:

-BLU can still do PVE content if he's on a Preformed party (So BLU will be able to use Party Finder for StoryMode Raids and even primals)
-We don't know what plans they have with the BLU in 5.0

They got one thing right, it would be a total mess if the daily roulettes suddently got filled by people lacking attacks (because you all know everybody would lvl up the BLU to lvl50 with roulettes and then they would go for the monster research), it's also hard as fuck to balance Savage/High End Raid content for a class that can have +50 skills at max level and that player can choose 24 of those (at least by NOW, let's see if they surprise us one day letting the BLU do savages).

Also, reading some other FF forums I learned that FFXI had plenty of jobs that weren't suited for High End PVE and were more "Solo Focused", if this opens a can for more "pve unbalanced" jobs I'm in for them AS LONG AS they let you use your job everywhere if you are on a preformed party, I understand not being able to use Matchmaking.

Second also, I LOVE the idea of working with the community, helping others, calling others for help. BLU totally feels like a job they included to give that Community feeling. There will be lots of blus creating PF calling for help to do X dungeon where they can learn skills from a boss. I love the idea, let's see how well implemented it is (because as we have seeen 100000000000 times before, every time some MMO dev creates something that depends on the community that community always fucked it up, like lol eureka).

I'm expecting it! Wanted to main the job for high end content but quess I will stay with my SMN and RED.

Top Bottom