• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Character Models Released

Setsu00

1471454539-newnoctis4.png

Looks a lot better. Now you'd only have to give him the ears of the young Noctis and this would look believably like 27 year version of Noctis, but that's probably not what SE wanted.

Edit: By "better" I mean that it looks more like Noctis and less like a new character.

benzy

Looks a lot better. Now you'd only have to give him the ears of the young Noctis and this would look believably like 27 year version of Noctis, but that's probably not what SE wanted.

Edit: By "better" I mean that it looks more like Noctis and less like a new character.

It just looks like young Noct with his hair down, not older. lol

Skilletor

I much prefer Nomura and the young designs.

Kingsglaive and the newer designs are just taking what I like about Japanese character designs out of my Japanese games. I realize that's what a lot of people like, but it's shitty to me, especially when it causes a huge disconnect between the game and the movie, and also the game and...the game, lol.

Nomura designs for life.

dramatis

Wait, how is she a notably good design? Especially when she's next to the lovely Luna design.
You mean the boring Luna design.

In the designers' quest to make Luna the One True Pure Heroine Girl, she's the only one who wears white, and they basically go for the very simple purity look, the result being an incredibly dull dress.

Though I'll agree with you that Gentiana is not a very good design either.

Ishida

Banned

In the designers' quest to make Luna the One True Pure Heroine Girl, she's the only one who wears white, and they basically go for the very simple purity look, the result being an incredibly dull dress.

You are crazy. Both Luna and Gentiana have great, elegant designs.

Luna is boring, same old "blond white pure girl" trope.

Gentiana is just plain ugly, though. The renders I found while searching for her name looked better than the OP picture.

I mean, this is beautiful:

OP's picture, not so much.

Setsu00

Luna's trenchcoat from Kingsglaive is amazing. I wish she had that one in XV.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Oh come on, I should have known it'd be something like that. Complaining about an attractive blonde design for being blonde is more tiresome than the trope you claim to despise. It's a cultural thing.

Meliora

You're not alone. It sure looked wrong to me in Chapter 0 though. His nose looks different entire though.

Well noses and ears keep growing your entire life though, which is why you see old men with big potato noses and huge ears :p

wmlk

Gentiana is just plain ugly, though. The renders I found while searching for her name looked better than the OP picture.

I wanna know what standards you have.

dramatis

You are crazy. Both Luna and Gentiana have great, elegant designs.
Those designs are very safe, nondescript, and not very good. Each of their designs have opposite problems.

Gentiana's says nothing about her character. A visual look is often how one can determine a class, an origin, or personality, or anything. At best you can say "I guess Gentiana is upper class" but if she were, she could afford a better stylist to give her at least something slightly more compelling than generic RPG NPC clothes. There's no flair, no style, nothing that captivates.

Luna's on the other hand pretty much spells out the entirety of her character. The vase she is meant to play is literally enshrined in the shape of the dress. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Boring long white princessy dress. Not a speck of taint on the character...but also not a hint of anything interesting.

I guess you just don't have an eye for what is good female character/costume design.

Ishida

Banned
Those designs are very safe, nondescript, and not very good. Each of their designs have opposite problems.

Gentiana's says nothing about her character. A visual look is often how one can determine a class, an origin, or personality, or anything. At best you can say "I guess Gentiana is upper class" but if she were, she could afford a better stylist to give her at least something slightly more compelling than generic RPG NPC clothes. There's no flair, no style, nothing that captivates.

Luna's on the other hand pretty much spells out the entirety of her character. The vase she is meant to play is literally enshrined in the shape of the dress. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Boring long white princessy dress. Not a speck of taint on the character...but also not a hint of anything interesting.

I guess you just don't have an eye for what is good female character/costume design.

And you do? Care to give some examples?

EDIT: Eh... You are kidding, right? It's hard to know these days...

Koozek

I much prefer Nomura and the young designs.

Kingsglaive and the newer designs are just taking what I like about Japanese character designs out of my Japanese games. I realize that's what a lot of people like, but it's shitty to me, especially when it causes a huge disconnect between the game and the movie, and also the game and...the game, lol.

Nomura designs for life.

Thing is, I loved Nomura's designs, too, back in the days, but after 20 years I'm tired of it and really open for a new direction. Punished Noctis or Nyx, Crowe, Luna, and Ravus from Kingsglaive are right up my alley. If you look at the clothing design it's still unmistakably Japanese, I think. And then also you see the crazy Advent Children moves they do and you know, yeah, that's a FF alright, lol.
e7DV0Ly.jpg

LAA

Think Noctis looks cool both ways tbh.
Just don't understand why he's wearing the King's clothing along with the knee brave thing which just seems weird, he's not that old ha ha. Surely he didn't have to wear that as well.
Very much looking forward to this, but the story is of a little concern to me. I think it should be fine though...if they decided to make a movie from FFXV contents and have no story in FFXV, I'd be very concerned with their choices...

Dark_castle

Young Noctis looks fine. I guess you hated every other FF character design since 7 too then?

Previous Final Fantasy (7,8,9,10,13) have had more anime influences, thus I think having the characters look more anime/cartoon-ish is fine, as it fits the entire aesthetics. Whereas XV, especially Kingsglaive is more similar to XII with relatively more realistic art direction. Thus, it's a little jarring when you have Noctis looking like a walking anime troupe, compared to his older self who actually looks more like a human being and comparable to many other characters in the game, especially the characters from Kingsglaive, and the villains.

Gentiana'a new render isn't as good as the old one, I agree on that. She still looks great though.

Luna is indeed straight Snoreville though.

jKrfkLc.jpg

Except that pic of Gentiana you posted is fanart.

Except that pic of Gentiana you posted is fanart.

I know, I was searching for renders of the character. Found that one on a russian site or something like that.

Wait, that's actually from the game? Now I'm confused. I posted it because I thought it looked like a good version of the character, that's it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
dUREXuh.jpg

I think Gentiana looks great.
She actually looks Eastern than Luna and the main cast. This game has the oddest mix of characters that look like people and realistic depictions of anime.

Byvar

Upon closer inspection, I find it very off-putting how Gentiana is one of the few characters to actually look into the camera (apart from Noctis and Gladio), and she seemingly looks down at you while giving you an ice-cold stare. Scary. *shivers*

Kamina

Golden Boy
I don't think so. She might have a change of heart as some point though and be a guest perhaps, and she's quite the flirt, but only Noctis is playable.
I thought all those other dudes that run around with Noctis are playable. Oh well fine with me.
Hopefully she joins the band later. I like her design.

Top Bottom