• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV might receive additional PS4 Pro support post launch

Exentryk

The FAQ already mention all of this stuff.

All I'm seeing in the FAQ is the following, but feel free to link me to the correct one:

Q: What benefits does PS4 Pro provide when played on a non-4K HDTV?

PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements.

Sounds like it's still up the dev to decide. What if the dev programs it as - if 1080p tv is connected, use basic PS4 mode; if 4K tv is connected, use checkerboard 4K mode?

Ishida

Banned
Sony's mandatory upgrades are good enough for me when it comes for this game.

Still day 1 in both FFXV and the Pro.

BasilZero

Hmmm well then

Wasn't gonna get a ps4 pro but it sounds like they might likely make a complete or goty edition for the future.

I am likely gonna be double dipping that case lol

Ps4 and the late PC port of course.

I just hope the game is worth full price when I get it next month....will be my first full priced at 60 dollars game ;p

It having better AA would be a noticeably improvement .

Still all i was expecting was better AA,framerate and maybe effects for the 1080p.
Which looks to be the case.

If it has better AA and a more stable frame rate I'll still consider it.

I wasn't goofy enough to expect some massive difference, just something marginally better.

Kathian

Banned
Not surprised. Devs don't know how big a userbase there is going to be and its not linke they are able to sell a more expensive product to the consumer, Sony are mandating PS4 copies will have the PS4 Pro mode.

Sony are making a mistake not really backing this on the software side like they need to at launch imo. One S replaced the old Xbox, Sony are selling two products and so will continue strongly to market and support the PS4 slim.

We'll see what they plan next year but with PSVR and Pro I feel Sony are just gouging more money from their base and honestly not really offering anything in return.

AKA "we don't want you to think you'll get a subpar experience on vanilla hardware, please buy this game"
You joke but it is comforting a bit that I'm not being short shafted. I have a feeling in a year or 2 well get that pc version and it'll be like a gta 5 leap.

Mifec

I thought Pro features were already confirmed for this? At least it looked good on those off-screen images

The only way this will happen is when they release a PC version and Durante making it happen tbh

Last few efforts by SE were good enough that I don't think they'd be as dumb as to put a 30fps lock on the PC version.

Fisty

You joke but it is comforting a bit that I'm not being short shafted. I have a feeling in a year or 2 well get that pc version and it'll be like a gta 5 leap.

Sony has really been hamstrung when advertising the Pro, they want to show you how awesome it is, but don't want people to think vanilla hardware on games and VR will be a second-class experience. It's a fine line to walk, but the lack of tangible info about some of the upcoming games use of Pro is a little annoying

Solrac

i have to say that im happy about this kind of news, i mean, i don't want to see mobile market onto consoles... and im sure that if ps4pro is a failure we dont gonna see a "ps5pro"

Mediking

I'm not getting the Pro ONLY for FFXV, my friend. :)

Exactly!

Ohhhhhh.....

I still havent been convinced by a game to upgrade to Pro. PS4 games still looking good to me on my PS4.

I might be singing a different tune if I had a 4KTV but I don't so whatever.

valkyre

Well that is disappointing as hell. That renders my interest towards a PS4Pro non existent. I mean Pro wont even have better AA for people with 1080p display? Or better performance?

I dont get how Sony markets the Pro. I mean Pro is aimed at people who want more and it seems that at the moment they look like they are the ones being 2nd rate customers.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought Pro features were already confirmed for this? At least it looked good on those off-screen images

The only way this will happen is when they release a PC version and Durante making it happen tbh
They are, SE has yet to detail exactly what though.

Well that is disappointing as hell. That renders my interest towards a PS4Pro non existent. I mean Pro wont even have better AA for people with 1080p display? Or better performance?

I dont get how Sony markets the Pro. I mean Pro is aimed at people who want more and it seems that at the moment they look like they are the ones being 2nd rate customers.

No, like Exentrik said, it's up to the developers to make it so.

Exentryk

I wanted better lightning, but what we got from TGS was already impressive enough, and most deinfitely not even final.

4c3ZD8C.gif

Raven77

Been thinking this since shortly after Pro was revealed. They just have to SUPPORT the Pro, not make the game look any better.

I'm going to hold off on the Pro and get a Switch. My ps4 is doing just fine.

Alej

Banned

It will have a Pro Mode. So kinda 4K on screen or downsampled if 1080p hdtv, a framerate as good or better than in base mode, and apparently HDR, as the minimum package.

But it's almost a given it will have other enhancements. Just, you won't have a game built for Pro.

Alej

Banned
Been thinking this since shortly after Pro was revealed. They just have to SUPPORT the Pro, not make the game look any better.

I'm going to hold off on the Pro and get a Switch. My ps4 is doing just fine.

Supporting the Pro exposes the hardware upgrades though.

jax

Banned
YES! So happy I bought an X1 instead of a PS4P. Saved a buttload of money and don't even have a 4KTV yet.

About not having time.... 10 YEARS SQUARE!!!!

Joking aside....

They have to push at least 1080p for Pro (I'm expecting 900p on PS4). If lucky... 1440p just like The Witness.

valkyre

Eh this topic is full of misinformation.

The game has a pro mode we seen it others have behind close doors.

It has a Pro mode but what difference does that make if the enhancements are almost non existent? Yes it will support 4k but what else? It appears nothing more than that. So i dont think this is full of missinformation, its full of disappointment over the comments made for the Pro version.

Come to think of it Pro doesnt sound so "Pro" after all, more like "shafted". We get the equivalent of what PC gamers do. A ton of hardware that is left unexploited...

Reading between the lines this means their engine ain't scalable beyond resolution and maybe refresh rate.

Doubtful. Heck, the game supports dynamic resolution on consoles. Reading between the line, this means to me "Wait for the GOTY version with all the season pass content included, which will be truly PS4 Pro enhanced and released on PC."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It has a Pro mode but what difference does that make if the enhancements are almost non existent? Yes it will support 4k but what else? It appears nothing more than that. So i dont think this is full of missinformation, its full of disappointment over the comments made for the Pro version.

Come to think of it Pro doesnt sound so "Pro" after all, more like "shafted". We get the equivalent of what PC gamers do. A ton of hardware that is left unexploited...
There is misinformation though. People who saw it at TGS said the improvements were noticeable.

Mythos

I wanted to get the Pro just because of FFXV, but now, there is no need for me to get it. I wish they did use the power of the PS4 Pro, but well...

Top Bottom