• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 17 demo releases today

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Loving long shots, bet they nerf them

They need to fix the crossbar bollocks

Wonder what they change in the full game?

EDIT: Weirdly, everything on ultra only makes my PC temp go to 55 max

JMZ555

I gotta disagree there, I think PES players models are far superior than the FIFA models.

To me this just feels like FIFA 16, there doesn't feel like any difference in gameplay at all, its all very sluggish. What's with all the shots hitting the bar, I've hit it about 10 times in 3 matches. I'll play a few more matches before bed and maybe it will click but I'm not enjoying it at all so far.

I agree player models are great but i find the replays to have way too much blur. Did this change in final game? I'm going by Demo, noticed a few Dropped frames in bits, again hoping fixed in final game? I think in terms of animation, over all clarity, lighting and detail fifa for me gets the edge for graphics. But Gameplay is what matters and PES is king there.

Alchemist

To the people who don't like the demo and comparing it to 16, can you explain why? I didn't like 16, skipped it entirely, but so far I'm liking 17.

dEvAnGeL

the Journey is exactly what i wanted on a football game for years, it looks great, gameplay wise it feels like FIFA 16 honestly, really looking forward to it mainly for the story mode

moai

Graphics look like a step up and im liking the slow gameplay. Seems better than 16 but i need more matches.
Looking good.

PaulLFC

Finally downloaded after hours of waiting - played my first match, not played enough to form a proper opinion yet.

What I did discover though is that I'm awful at the "tactical defending". Blocking off passes and covering space I'm fine with, but when it comes to actually needing to get the ball off a runner, the defenders seem to be too hesitant to go in for a tackle, and in fact don't seem to even attempt a standing tackle unless you're directly facing the attacker.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong. More matches needed I think.

NHale

Overall I think this is a terrible demo that really shows how lacking the FIFA series in some aspects: player individuality and dynamic AI behaviour.

Controlling Robben should be completely different than controlling Rooney but there is not much difference and the teammate AI behaviour and CPU AI behaviour is as dead as the eyes on the players. They have free space and they don't make runs unless you make a pass to the empty space. I felt it's even worse this year than last year.

Also shooting doesn't feel good. Besides the clear scripting leading to a bunch of shots hitting the posts, shooting sometimes feel too powerful, others with the same force and similar player position lead to a pass to GK.

On the positive side, the game feels less on-rails, defending especially. You can intercept passes if you position the player correctly, passes actually go through close to defenders instead of being sucked in like in previous games. Animation looks a lot worse than previous gameplay videos, more robotic (especially when receiving passes or air balls) but even then a lot better than FIFA 16. Physicality is improved but I still don't feel like it's on the same level as PES. Graphics are improved especially the daylight lighting, also liked the crowd reactions to what is happening on the pitch. The experience does feel more natural but I'm not as convinced as a I thought I would be when I saw the leaked footage of E3.

PaulLFC

Does PES have story modes, all the teams FIFA has, female teams?
It has Master League, which last time I compared them was infinitely better than FIFA's Career mode. Going to compare them again this year and see, but as single player goes I don't see anything dethroning Master League when it comes to football games.

PES feels so much better this year.

Too bad it's just a ps360 port on pc.

Fuckonami. xD

And I don't get how you guys can play singleplayer. It's boring as fuck or just infuriatingly stupid. PES singleplayer can be enjoyable, but still a little bit "dead" if you get what I mean.

FIFA is just bad in singleplayer. A torture no one should endure.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Fuckonami. xD

And I don't get how you guys can play singleplayer. It's boring as fuck or just infuriatingly stupid. PES singleplayer can be enjoyable, but still a little bit "dead" if you get what I mean.

Yup.

I disagree with the rest, as I'm primarily an offline player. Hate playing online.

blacklotus

So after a few games:

Really big visual overhaul.
Sound and ambience is superb.
Gameplay is like 16 but a lot more polished with more animations and more fluidity.
Long balls are back, but could use some error.
Ball feels heavier and shooting is a lot more satisfying.

Loving it. Pitty you can't share play, i never play vs IA, only online.

Pachimari

Which game that has the better gameplay is subjective, so stop spouting it out like it's fact.

I'm liking FIFA's gameplay more at the moment, although I'm disappointed that it feels so much like FIFA 16. I need to play more matches to form a thorough opinion.

Finally downloaded after hours of waiting - played my first match, not played enough to form a proper opinion yet.

What I did discover though is that I'm awful at the "tactical defending". Blocking off passes and covering space I'm fine with, but when it comes to actually needing to get the ball off a runner, the defenders seem to be too hesitant to go in for a tackle, and in fact don't seem to even attempt a standing tackle unless you're directly facing the attacker.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong. More matches needed I think.
You're playing it wrong. You need to push the stick toward the attacker and either use square to push him off, or use R2 to position yourself to take the ball off him without pressing a button.

Robso

Every year it's the same pathetic four minute halves. They could at least make it six minutes a la online play.

The passing will take some getting used to, I lost my first two games and then won in The Journey. I actually think it could be quite a fun mode... do we only play for the one season? Do we play the World Cup or Euros as Hunter?

heringer

I'm a bit thorn so far. Even on PC, I might pick PES instead. If it's the same as last year, graphics are bad but the gameplay is pretty much the same, and boy is the gameplay good. Also, it's cheaper.

On the other hand FIFA has dem beautiful graphics and the very interesting Journey mode.

Okay, now played about 10 matches. Some thoughts:

1. The crowd celebrates each yellow card like its a goal. This is the kind of thing that will drive me fucking bananas.

2. Tackling is so much better than 16. Feels way more precise, and plays much more realistically.

3. The new driven shot is so good, and when it comes off it feels fantastic. The game has been crying out for this.

4. Keeper AI, which improved a lot in 16, is back to 'hilarious' mode. A few times I've seen AI keeper catch a corner, then roll it 5 yards to nearest defender in a packed penalty box. Even worse, each time a keeper and a defender go for the same rolling ball, they've collided into each other leaving the nearest striker with a tap-in. Keepers do not command the ball at all.

5. I can't get the hang of the new free kicks or penalties at all. Hopefully this is just me.

6. Changing the on-the-fly tactics has a much more obvious impact on the pitch. I like it.

7. The new driven through-balls work brilliantly in the right circumstances. Hit a few cross field balls with Bale that gave me that 'this is awesome' feel.

8. There's an obvious free-kick related graphical glitch. After I've been awarded a free kick, a giant white line will appear somewhere across the other half of the pitch, which fades in time, like its a free-kick spray marker. Except, relative to pitch size, this line is like 40 yards long! Happened to me three times.

9. The graphical improvements really help with immersion, but then it plays so much like 16 it kind of ruins it. I would've liked them to revamp gameplay more.

10. They need new english commentary, and badly. My worst bugbear about 16, the line about the keeper catching the ball even though he wasn't under pressure, despite him actually being surrounded by about five opposition players all simultaneously diving at his head, is still in there. EA!!!

Fuckonami. xD

I would still get the last-gen looking PC version of PES over FIFA because of gameplay. Remember, gameplay? It's far superior in PES this year.

Luckily PES run and looks great on PS4 so I'm content.

Also, if people would stop buying the 'popular' game for 'popularity' sake and realize that PES is the one with better gameplay, maybe that wouldn't be the case.

Hedrush

Well I played a few more matches then I played a few matches on PES to try and gauge which I prefer and it turned out it's PES all day long. It's just a better football game, the pitch is ours slogan really does ring true with PES. I'll still no doubt pick up FIFA 17 at some point when it's on sale but only for the single player story mode. I've got 16 there and it plays just the same as 17 so I don't see any point in shelling out £55 again. I'm really disappointed in FIFA as I was really looking forward to it but this demo has killed my hype, maybe the full game will be better I'll wait for reviews and GAF opinions.

I'm a bit thorn so far. Even on PC, I might pick PES instead. If it's the same as last year, graphics are bad but the gameplay is pretty much the same, and boy is the gameplay good. Also, it's cheaper.

On the other hand FIFA has dem beautiful graphics and the very interesting Journey mode.

YES!

Even if the graphics are shit on PC, it's the gameplay that matters. You get bored by visuals especially in a sports game after the first few days. It's not like a typical game with fantasy levels and enemies where pushing visuals really creates an amazing experience.

If you like PES more than FIFA, get it on PC. The visuals might be last-gen, but the performance and gameplay, and not to mention mods still makes it the better game all around in my opinion. If you have a current gen console though, I'd get that version. But getting PES on PC still maintains the gameplay experience.

Get this shit out of here.

Even I appreciate PES but advocating for that game in a FIFA thread seems so wrong.

Well, at the end of the day get what you want. I'm just making a direct response to people saying they like the gameplay in PES more, but feel they are obliged to get FIFA due to the higher online activity. If people stopped thinking that way, and just go the game they enjoyed more (whatever that may be) that wouldn't necessarily be the case anymore.

I like FIFA too, just I think PES is making the bigger strides.

sobaka770

Banned
Ugh, it's really tough this year between PES and FIFA.

Ultimately, the lack of licences is really hurting PES as usual and I would say that FIFA with Frostbite looks phenomenal this year. I also like the slower gameplay after having skipped 16. I really do not see how PES gameplay is "better", it's just very different and I feel like PES is less scripted but also leads to very unrealistic situations.

Last but not least, story mode is a nice surprise. I wonder how long is the full career but if the rpesentation keeps up, it'd be a nice diversion. Overall good demo.

Carlius

Banned
as much as i love fifa, i wont be getting it. very disappointed in this "upgrade" to frostbite. feels the same, looks the same, on pc it doesnt even manage to impress. animations are better and will always be better than PES, thats a fact, but PES just has the much better non boring gameplay i have to admit. screw you konami for screwing PC gamers over once again, so no football game for me this year.

I really hope EA starts making serious changes not only to gameplay in fifa but to the presentation. This is not what next gen should look like on a football game.

Tainted

Can you still do the stuttered run up with the new penalty system ? I tried it a couple of times by pressing O while running up to the ball but nothing

kvn

Played a couple of matches and I'm liking the little
tweaks and additions. For an engine switch it feels awfully familiar and I'm completely flabbergasted how they managed to make it feel the same. But it still feels like an improvement enough to me to justify the annual update.

I really hate having to look at skinny Reus and his fuck ugly tatoos at boot up though.

Tainted

Played a couple of matches and I'm liking the little
tweaks and additions. For an engine switch it feels awfully familiar and I'm completely flabbergasted how they managed to make it feel the same.

Yeh, if someone told me it was running on the old engine I wouldn't have questioned it.....its pretty much exactly the same to me. All the trappings are still there (ie capped 30fps during replays, goal kicks etc)....I was hoping with the engine switch they may have been able to achieve 60fps across the board :/

I'd be able to tolerate PES on PC if they didn't have PS2 level textures.

I like the Journey mode based off the little we saw, hope it doesn't end up terrible.

Briarios

I tried both demos, and I enjoyed FIFA more this year ... so, I'm going with that one.

It's weird seeing a bunch of PES fans coming into a FIFA thread to bad mouth it ... it's ok to have two games that play differently. Different strokes for different folks and all. It doesn't make one better or worse objectively. That'll be decided by each individual player.

Didn't remember to change the difficulty before I started, and boy did I ever forget how easy the default difficulty is in FIFA. Won by like a bajillion to zero.

I skipped 16 and may be skipping this one as well.

Firstly, what did they do to the net textures? There's some Nintendo 64 thing going on there!

Movement is nice, graphics are good but set pieces are so convoluted and physics are just not there for me.

I mean... Every shoot is like over 9000!

Kuro

17 feels so unresponsive and the ai is still horrible. Only reason I've been sticking with FIFA is for the online but I'm switching to PES this year. It plays so much better.

Top Bottom