• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 17 demo releases today

Griss

Have now played both PES and Fifa demos quite a few times.

Fifa is utterly gorgeous, and the animation is far superior - it looks like real football. But in terms of gameplay PES is leaps ahead of it now. Fifa is shockingly boring. I think the ludicrously slow speed of passing has a lot to do with that, as does the fact that the AI never seems to move out of position. Whereas in each match of PES you see totally different things, defences falling apart, opportunity for early crosses, you know... football. Each match of Fifa feels the exact same. Hell, each player feels the exact same.

PES is the victor this year, imo.

Tainted

I agree PES is pretty great this year, but FIFA will always win as it has the licenses behind it (without having to screw around with option files) and Ultimate Team.

ps3ud0

A lot of the issues Ive found with the FIFA demo (like most FIFA demos) are purely down to how annoying the CPU is as an opponent, really hard to get an idea how either FIFA/PES play without a human opponent which at least can be fixed for PES via shareplay easily.

I cant fathom what crimes youd have to commit to be forced to play FIFA against the CPU as its remarkable how poor it is compared to PES...

ps3ud0 8)

No_Style

The closeup models look great. The Journey was the surprise highlight. Not sure if I will pick up this year's though. Might give them another year with Frostbite.

Tainted

The closeup models look great. The Journey was the surprise highlight. Not sure if I will pick up this year's though. Might give them another year with Frostbite.

I'll be getting it....simply because I skipped '16 and I'm sick of manually updating my squads in '15 :)

Passing is slower and sluggish. Hate it.
Graphics are fucking same as last year.
Hazard looks nothing like what was shown in trailers etc. His head and hair are like Fabregas. Wtf.
Costa is same model as last year, which was already outdated.
Not impressed at all.

Pes doesn't have the licenses but I am more inclined to go with them. The demo was 4x more fun. And players looked way better.

Played a few matches, overall I like it more that fifa 16 a game that felt to defensive and limited my attacking options.

-Game feels faster and more ofensive oriented
-Frostbite is a nice adition, but it didn't "wow" me
-holding the ball feels a bit op
- sliding tackles feel great.

Also regarding corner kicks, free kicks and penaltys

12968-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing1.jpg

pixelation

It looks the same to me... but then again the characters look so small when playing that the new engine is hard to appreciate unless they show a close up.

Tainted

It looks the same to me... but then again the characters look so small when playing that the new engine is hard to appreciate unless they show a close up.

I don't think the Frostbite engine has anything to do with the characters being small and more to do with the default camera view in the demo.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The graphics hasn't been improved much, but the animations are better. It seems like they are having a hard time pushing the graphics any further.

RulkezX

A lot of the issues Ive found with the FIFA demo (like most FIFA demos) are purely down to how annoying the CPU is as an opponent, really hard to get an idea how either FIFA/PES play without a human opponent which at least can be fixed for PES via shareplay easily.

I cant fathom what crimes youd have to commit to be forced to play FIFA against the CPU as its remarkable how poor it is compared to PES...

ps3ud0 8)

The games are awful as single player games, the cpu is just shit.

I don't think I've played more than a handful of cpu matches in the last couple of years. Online is what's it's at

Played the demo, I'm really impressed. Graphic wise it may seem very similar to 16 but to me is way better, Frostbite makes the players fell like humans finally and there are a lots of new details in general. Animations are also improved and way more fluid, players movements feel smoother then ever before. Game speed seems a little too fast IMHO but we know that demo and final release are usually way different.

Oh, and Juventus it's recreated in a wonderful way. I'm a Juventus fan, day one for me.

Coolade

Just played the demo on PC. Felt great, story mode has my interest with the dialogue options. And it perfectly supports 21:9 which is great for a soccer game.

I always found CPU matches to be quite tedious on Legendary. Need to check out how this feels against human opponents.
Passing is worse this year, not because of pass speed (you got the hard L2 Passes for that) but because of who the AI is picking out as intended target.
Furthermore I feel like FIFA 18 will bring back OP L1+triangle passes. They've been gimped 2 or 3 years in a row now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On PC the graphics improvements are pretty obvious. Better animations and much better looking close-ups. Using the Pro cam the game looks really nice. The ambience and sounds are also very good this year.

I like what they did with the sliding tackles.

Last year's threads were also poisoned by this "FIFA is shit and PES is king". I ended up buying PES on PC and besides the last century textures, it had no keepers and referees, so maybe take it down a notch?

The gameplay in the end really depends on the personal preference, more arcade like or more like real football.

xVodevil

It feels good, though the game is still too fast paced. But the speed difference between players, seems to properly stand out, that I really like!
Passing felt good for me, thanks to those neat, dynamic animations, also shooting from outside the box feels awesome, with some good opening, most of them shots were on target in an awesome way.
Graphics are ok, but sure it's the first and most important thing for this game.
I was skeptical, last year was a disaster, for I couldn't enjoy either PES or FIFA for the first time in years... It really sucked having to spend a year without my proper football dosage, barely a 20-30 hours compared to my usual 300-400. So yeah from waiting for the first sale, I went with pre-order.
Now the real problem is, I can't wait till 29th :D

eFKac

Haven't played much of it, but tbh the differences are smaller than what I have expected with the change of engine.

It's a bit slower paced, but AI behaviours are similar, mechanics are very similar, graphics and animations are upgraded but not by as much as I hoped, will have to get used to the new corners.

Overall I've enjoyed it, but it's still pretty much same good old FIFA to me. Will probably buy this one, cause I haven't bought one since FIFA 14.

fast_taker

Haven't played much of it, but tbh the differences are smaller than what I have expected with the change of engine.

It's a bit slower paced, but AI behaviours are similar, mechanics are very similar, graphics and animations are upgraded but not by as much as I hoped, will have to get used to the new corners.

Overall I've enjoyed it, but it's still pretty much same good old FIFA to me. Will probably buy this one, cause I haven't bought one since FIFA 14.

my thoughts exactly...

Ivan

I tried the demo...

Wow, they really are masters of recycling. Unbelievable.

Like they spent a whole year just porting fifa 16 to frostbite engine.

It does look better of course, presentation is top notch as always, but they are not working on actual game of football anymore at all...

I remember the last transition to next gen, fifa progress was really exciting.

It felt nextgen, I couldn't believe how advanced THE GAMEPLAY was compared to last gen.

This isn't fun anymore at all.

Did they loose some key people through the years?

I'm saying this as a fifa fan. Just imagine Konami not quiting making games and having EA's budget...

I feel like I played this game over and over for way too long.

Maybe this year was for change of engine, and next time they're gonna try something new, but I really doubt it.

Hugely disappointed.

But I'll probably play it like every time.

blacklotus

So after a few games:

Really big visual overhaul.
Sound and ambience is superb.
Gameplay is like 16 but a lot more polished with more animations and more fluidity.
Long balls are back, but could use some error.
Ball feels heavier and shooting is a lot more satisfying.

Loving it. Pitty you can't share play, i never play vs IA, only online.

I'd like to add:

Team mate movement (player runs) are a lot better, as promised in the trailers.
The Journey gameplay felt really good, which i hope translates into Pro Clubs.

Just wish i could play versus humans though. I play zero games on single player modes each year.

Cob32

Passing is slower and sluggish. Hate it.
Graphics are fucking same as last year.
Hazard looks nothing like what was shown in trailers etc. His head and hair are like Fabregas. Wtf.
Costa is same model as last year, which was already outdated.
Not impressed at all.

Pes doesn't have the licenses but I am more inclined to go with them. The demo was 4x more fun. And players looked way better.

Preorder cancelled.

Waldini

+ Animation is alot smoother (more animations)
+ More variaty in the way you pass the ball around
+ More ways of finishing
+ Team-mates bump into each other when going on full-attack. Teammates observe you or the ball and collide. Funny to see.
+ Ambience is superb!

- Feels pretty slow! Even on "fast"
+/- Graphic overhaul not quite noticeable from far away .. yet close-ups/replays look fantastic.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I tried both demos, and I enjoyed FIFA more this year ... so, I'm going with that one.

It's weird seeing a bunch of PES fans coming into a FIFA thread to bad mouth it ... it's ok to have two games that play differently. Different strokes for different folks and all. It doesn't make one better or worse objectively. That'll be decided by each individual player.
They do the same every year

Do people actually play with the pro camera? I hate it.

Will give this another go tonight. Didnt' love it last night, but that was mostly due to how sluggish passing felt. It felt a lot better in The Journey though, which was weird.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Do people actually play with the pro camera? I hate it.

Will give this another go tonight. Didnt' love it last night, but that was mostly due to how sluggish passing felt. It felt a lot better in The Journey though, which was weird.

I hate that camera and the default one

Tele is king

Pachimari

It's funny too see how half of the posters says the game is slower compared to FIFA 16, and the other half says it is faster.

Top Bottom