• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Soccer 13 sells 353,000 on day one in North America, 42% increase YoY

The_Monk

And it will sell even more on Holidays. Anyway yesterday I just saw a guy spending 150€ on those packs where you get the players.

He freaked out when he got someone and then put him on aucting or something. Quite funny.

segarr

Ps3 no doubt outsold the 360 version. But you know those pirating people are playing the 360 version far more

There is nothing inherently wrong with that US soccer post. Obviously if interest increases greatly and soccer grows from being viewed as a kids sport to one played at a higher rate in high school and rivals football/basketball/baseball in collegiate play. Just like what is seem with small countries with a great interest in basketball like Lithuania versus much larger countries with little interest. The effect would be drastically multiplied for a country the size of the US. Its all about interest, not a inherent ability to play soccer, basketball, football, cricket, or whatever else.

No worries though, its never going to happen. Interest will never increase to that level and the US will remain where they are in world rankings.

boyshine

yay for anecdotal evidence. who are those people and where are they? at least wait for pal charts to be posted to make such claims.

While 95% obviously is an exaggeration, it's no surprise that FIFA is a monster on PS3 in Europe. I run one of the largest game stores in my country, and PS3 usually have about 75% of the total FIFA sales. And going by first day sales it seems like it might be closer to 80-85% this year.

Haunted

There is nothing inherently wrong with that US soccer post. Obviously if interest increases greatly and soccer grows from being viewed as a kids sport to one played at a higher rate in high school and rivals football/basketball/baseball in collegiate play. Just like what is seem with small countries with a great interest in basketball like Lithuania versus much larger countries with little interest. The effect would be drastically multiplied for a country the size of the US. Its all about interest, not a inherent ability to play soccer, basketball, football, cricket, or whatever else.

No worries though, its never going to happen. Interest will never increase to that level and the US will remain where they are in world rankings.
With growing interest, the USA will hopefully become more competitive in international competition and get a fighting chance, but domination is never going to happen, even if it became USA's #1 favourite sport.

A considerable amount of people is having CTD problems when trying to play online.
Nothing seems to fix it and apparently there's nothing support can do.
Frequent crashes to desktop are serious enough, so I'm sure EA'll patch that.

At least the gamelay itself seems fine, I was fearing the worst.

While 95% obviously is an exaggeration, it's no surprise that FIFA is a monster on PS3 in Europe. I run one of the largest game stores in my country, and PS3 usually have about 75% of the total FIFA sales. And going by first day sales it seems like it might be closer to 80-85% this year.

And which country is that...do share :)

Haunted

Yeah, but how much does it sell in the rest of the world?
It's no competition, one has regional appeal, and one has global appeal.

The main thing to take away from this is that football (FIFA) is gaining popularity in the US, nothing more, nothing less. A 42% yoy increase is impressive.

Meier

I am just learning about this Snoop Lion thing. Wow.

I'm certain the PS3 version sells more than 360 in every region looking at the concurrent user numbers online in the game.

Right now, PS3 is triple 360's number as it is Europe's peak hours.

I'd say there is about 2% chance (at most) that the PS3 version of FIFA outsells the X360 version in NA.

Meier

and rivals football/basketball/baseball in collegiate play.

Title 9 prevents this. There aren't enough scholarships to go around so many major schools simply don't have men's teams.

Hopefully in 15-20 years, the MLS will be able to provide wages similar to those in Europe so that promising American athletes will consider sticking with soccer/football. As it stands, if you're a great athlete, you have a lot less incentive to do so since there are only about 30 guys in the MLS making more than $100k a year and most of them are foreigners in the twilight of their career.

Seda

Compare FIFA 13 WW numbers to Madden 13 WW numbers, and it becomes a joke lol

Kind of sad if you compare worldwide sales of FIFA to Madden, tho.

Yeah, but how much does it sell in the rest of the world?

Again, I wasn't trying to imply anything like "LOL MADDEN SOLD 3X BETTER LOL". I wan't trying to say Madden is a better game or anything. I was just posting some numbers plain and simple.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I sold a bunch at my local store. More than NHL and close to Madden. Not as much as NCAA though, this is SEC territory

Haunted

Again, I wasn't trying to imply anything like "LOL MADDEN SOLD 3X BETTER LOL". I wan't trying to say Madden is a better game or anything. I was just posting some numbers plain and simple.
Yeah, a bunch of people took that the wrong way. There have been some heated arguments over football vs American football on GAF, so that's probably where the defensiveness comes from. Unnecessary, though.

Posting the Madden numbers is totally valid to put things into perspective for the US market (which, after all, this thread is about).

xbhaskarx

Really? Can you imagine Lebron growing up a central defender?

Of course the US will improve as more athletes play soccer, it's a numbers game and the more people who play the larger the pool of international caliber talent, but taking existing elite American athletes from other sports and assuming that they would make good soccer players is ridiculous. It's the sort of argument made by those who are not really soccer fans, like Bill Simmons.

Why LeBron wouldn't save U.S. soccer

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Bill Simmons is a dumbass. He said the Barca - Real rivalry is like if the Mets and Yankees would be the 2 best teams in baseball and played each other constantly.

lol

Angry Fork

I don't think people realize how much money effort time talent etc. is spent on American sports whether it's football basketball baseball whatever. The reason American soccer teams don't beat other countries is because young talent here aren't interested in getting into soccer they go into all the other sports football basketball etc.

If soccer was a main sport all of that money effort and time we spend on football baseball etc. would be put into soccer. It's not unreasonable to assume we'd dominate it if the US population started to genuinely care about it the way they do American football or basketball.

I don't really care I think the money put into sports is ridiculous and should be stopped but it's not crazy to think the US would become a beast at it if our sports resources were spent on it from the ground up middle school high school etc. If the same scholarship incentives, the same fame and fortune were applied to soccer instead of the others.

Pretty sure America only dominates in American sports.

We're not even that dominant at baseball anymore and it's our national pastime. We just have the money to buy all the good players from the Dominican Republic and the ones that defect from Cuba.

The only way we'll see people truly take interest in soccer is when the tv ad revenue for colleges and MLS is profitable and athletes start making multi-million dollar salaries. Not many kids want to be professional soccer players when they grow up because it's not the same as having the chance to win the lottery if you are really good at other American sports.

I mean with American football you have a pretty good chance of becoming semi-disabled after your 7 to 8 year professional career is over, but everyone wants to play in the NFL so you can buy five mansions, a fleet of sports cars and a trophy wife.

DSGamer

Neo Member
Note ... that there is no comments regarding the Vita version. You get what you put out ..

I bought the 360 and Vita version. The Vita version isn't a huge leap, but it's better. Physics are greatly improved. The ball no longer sticks to players' feet. The feel of the game is better. They've fixed most of the problem with slowdown and framerate. It's a missed opportunity, honestly. With some of the other modes like the mini-games from the big brother version it would be great. Instead it's a nice upgrade if you have the money.

Massa

I don't think people realize how much money effort time talent etc. is spent on American sports whether it's football basketball baseball whatever. The reason American soccer teams don't beat other countries is because young talent here aren't interested in getting into soccer they go into all the other sports football basketball etc.

If soccer was a main sport all of that money effort and time we spend on football baseball etc. would be put into soccer. It's not unreasonable to assume we'd dominate it if the US population started to genuinely care about it the way they do American football or basketball.

I don't really care I think the money put into sports is ridiculous and should be stopped but it's not crazy to think the US would become a beast at it if our sports resources were spent on it from the ground up middle school high school etc. If the same scholarship incentives, the same fame and fortune were applied to soccer instead of the others.

As someone from Brazil, a country that invests close to nothing in soccer (or any sport, really), I find this post amusing.

Afrikan

Kind of sad if you compare worldwide sales of FIFA to Madden, tho.

what is kind of sad is how the rest of the world is so close minded. All this shows is that we here in the states respect other international sports and views of life and are willing to try them out.

where as the rest of the world does not welcome with open arms, our offering of Madden Football....but instead mock us and calls our sport "hand egg". :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

We are a century behind. What you're saying can be semi-valid, but acknowledge how it would take a long, long time for the cultural mindshare to transition from the heavily entrenched sports. And the rest of the world's skill level has not simply stagnated, nor will it ever.

Just dumping the GDP's worth of money into the sport would not negate the fact that the NFL is a $9B a year sport, or that basketball is the mainstay option #1 of young black Americans, and it certainly wouldn't start popping our babies out with the creativity and quality which is engrained in international (non-US) football countries.

As someone from Brazil, a country that invests close to nothing in soccer (or any sport, really), I find this post amusing.

Do they invest into any other sport tho? Basketball, Football, Hockey, Baseball?

Soccer has to compete with the 4 biggest leagues in the world which are invested waaaaay more then soccer here in the states. So even with funding in American soccer its heavily at the back of the pack when compared to what is spent on other 4 biggest, most popular, wealthiest sports leagues in the world.
Hell, I'm betting more is spent on Hockey in cities in America that have never seen snow instead of soccer.

Plus there is a stigma with soccer I'm sure doesnt exist in other parts of the world.
In Brazil will you be called a "Foot Fairy" or "Homo" for playing soccer? In America, you will at some point.

Top Bottom