• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 13: 900K sold in first 24 hours on HD Platforms and Record # of players online

Seda

UPDATE
(Thanks SolidSnakex)
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=705135
Madden NFL 13 Continues Historic Launch; Record Sell-Through and Fan Engagement Highlight Week One

• Sell-Through Up 8% in First Seven Days for New Record on HD Console Generation
  • Madden NFL 13 Games Played and DAU at Their Highest Rates Ever Recorded

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today that Madden NFL 13 continues its record-setting launch performance with new records for both sales and fan engagement through its first seven days at retail (Aug. 28-Sept. 3). Based on internal estimates, sell-through for Madden NFL 13 was up 8 percent year-over-year on HD platforms with more than 1.65M units sold in Week One to mark its best start ever on this console generation. Last week, EA announced that Madden NFL 13 had set a new Day One record on HD consoles as well.

Fans also continued to play Madden NFL 13 in record numbers. In the first week following retail launch, there was a 31 percent increase in the number of online games played year over year with more than 24M contests recorded. That's the equivalent of a staggering 47,000 NFL regular seasons in just seven days, and, on Labor Day alone, an average of 3,000 Madden NFL 13 games were started every minute. In addition, Daily Average User (DAU) rates on HD consoles have increased 14 percent over last year, shattering previous franchise records.

"We're thrilled to see the great momentum continuing on Madden NFL 13," said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS. "The overwhelming feedback is that this is the best Madden NFL game in a generation. Fans are competing in record numbers, and we expect that type of engagement to only grow with the start of the NFL regular season last night, as fans connect with their favorite teams and players through our game."

"We have seen strong demand for Madden NFL 13 leading up to launch and through its first week on store shelves," said Bob McKenzie, SVP of Merchandising, GameStop. "Critic reviews are strong and the buzz from the Madden fan base is more robust than I've ever seen. We've seen this consumer momentum sustain throughout week one and we expect it to continue into the fall and holiday season."

Among the additional notable accomplishments for Madden NFL 13 in its first week at retail:

• There were more than 1.4M fans who connected online last week.
  • There were more than 702K unique visitors to the enhanced Madden Ultimate Team mode. Fans opened more than 2.6M packs and competed in more than 2.2M challenges.
  • There were more than 1.3M unique visitors to Madden NFL Facebook page and 450K Madden mentions on Twitter.

ORIGINAL
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=703601

Hot Start for Madden NFL 13; Sell-Through, Online Usage, and Strong Critical Acclaim Fuel Record Day One

• Sell-Through Up 7% in First 24 Hours for New Record on HD Console Generation
  • Record Number of Players Competing Online Together on Day One
  • Biggest Single-Year Rise in Critical Acclaim for an EA SPORTS Game in Four Years

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today a huge first day for Madden NFL 13, which launched Tuesday across North America. Madden NFL 13 scored record day one retail sales, record day one online usage and it's enjoying the best critical acclaim the game has seen in years.

Based on internal estimates, sell-through for Madden NFL 13 was up 7 percent year-over-year on HD platforms with 900K units sold in its first 24 hours on the market, its best start ever on this console generation. The franchise also set a day one online usage record with a 28 percent jump in peak simultaneous users over last year's first day.

"It was a phenomenal first day for Madden NFL 13, and we have high expectations for this great game to be popular throughout the fall and into the holidays," said Seong Ohm, Walmart SVP of Entertainment. "We're excited that our partnership with EA has helped deliver our customers unique access and content to this great game. There's incredible demand for Madden NFL 13, and it's easy to see why people are loving it."

Critics are praising the game with nine scores of 90 or above, and aggregated reviews of Madden NFL 13 show the biggest single-year jump in critical acclaim for an EA SPORTS™ game in four years*. GamesRadar said the game is "brimming with innovation on and off the field" and IGN.com said "it all adds up to Madden NFL 13 being something truly special."

Not only are fans playing Madden NFL 13, but they're talking about it. Since the launch of Madden NFL 13 for EA SPORTS Season Ticket consumers on August 24th, there have been 665,464 total social interactions on Facebook and Twitter combined, and the game has been mentioned on average every six seconds on Twitter.

"Madden NFL 13 is the most innovative entry the franchise has ever seen and we're thrilled that fans have embraced it with such a huge first day," said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS. "As we approach the kickoff of the NFL season next week, the football community is whetting their appetites by playing Madden NFL 13 in record numbers. With the combination of the cutting-edge Infinity Engine and new Connected Careers fans are truly getting their football fix with the best Madden NFL game ever."

Madden NFL 13 on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 delivers physics you can feel on every play, and will connect you to the NFL and other fans like never before. Powered by the all-new Infinity Engine, every impact on the field is more intense; every battle is more authentic; and no two plays will every look or feel the same. With Connected Careers you'll build your legacy as a player or coach within a completely new and fully connected universe, accessible on and off the console. With deep new gameplay innovation, social integration, and an overhaul of the audio and visual presentation, Madden NFL 13 is the biggest game-changer in the history of the franchise.

Madden NFL 13 is developed in Orlando, Florida by EA Tiburon. Madden NFL 13 is now available and retails for $59.99 on the Xbox 360® video game system and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Madden NFL 13 is also available for $49.99 on the Wii™ console from Nintendo, and $39.99 on PlayStation® Vita System. To learn more about Madden NFL 13, visit http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl. For Madden NFL 13 assets, visit: http://maddennfl13.newslinevine.com/ or http://info.ea.com.

All player participation has been facilitated by National Football League Players Incorporated, the licensing and marketing subsidiary of the NFL Players Association.

EA SPORTS is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, fan programs and cross-platform digital experiences. EA SPORTS creates connected experiences that ignite the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, SSX™ and Fight Night boxing.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.

Finally, some positive news.

New console versions are solid... despite silly post-play physics Benny Hill-esque comedy, they've done a real nice job with making the game just play and feel more like football. I also bought the Vita version. Ugh, plays well enough during actual play, but so choppy in the cut scenes.

New physics engine is great during play, but add a lot of humor after the play too. Win-win. Congrats to them on selling a lot.

I expect as there are fewer triple A, big dollar releases, due too market flooding being weeded out and other factors, the standing remainders will be able to shine and grab more dollars.

Could be an example.

Afrikan

The Wii version is still $49.99?

you'd think the with the Vita version being $39.99 and it being based off of next gen compared to the Wii version...I don't know..you'd think it would drop price alittle.

It feels like a solid iteration to me based on my time with the demo so I'm not surprised to see '13 doing well. Too bad the Vita version is awful though, since that's probably the only one I'd bite on.

We need them GIF'd asap

ibm3rb2KDM0y8N.gif

jmizzal

The Wii version is still $49.99?

you'd think the with the Vita version being $39.99 and it being based off of next gen compared to the Wii version...I don't know..you'd think it would drop price alittle.

Yea I dont get why the Wii version is 49 still, it doesnt even have online play, tho it has online roster updates. NBA 2K13 for Wii is gonna be 29.99, EA should have dont the same for Madden 13 Wii.

Bgamer90

Banned

Hahaha.

Nice to see that the game is doing well. The game made many improvements. Hopefully this will be a sign to EA to stay on the same track in terms of new features in future iterations.

I don't want to have another "gameflow/game-planning" year.

Might be time for EA to rethink dropping the exclusive NFL license? Last I heard Madden wasn't making them enough money to justify it.

The NFL grants the exclusive license, because they want an exclusive license. If the NFL wants to continue to exclusively grant a license, EA sure as hell isn't going to let another publisher have it.

Yea I dont get why the Wii version is 49 still, it doesnt even have online play, tho it has online roster updates. NBA 2K13 for Wii is gonna be 29.99, EA should have dont the same for Madden 13 Wii.
Is this really true? Is the aesthethic still completely different as well?

Derrick01

Banned
I just wish they'd stop whoring all of these legendary players on ESPN. Every day EA sends another 45+ year old legend who probably hasn't played a game since the 80s over to Bristol to answer the same questions on 18 shows and talk about the game for 5 seconds.

triggaz

Banned
I just wish they'd stop whoring all of these legendary players on ESPN. Every day EA sends another 45+ year old legend who probably hasn't played a game since the 80s over to Bristol to answer the same questions on 18 shows and talk about the game for 5 seconds.

Dude normally I trip off of your cynical post but lol you are damn right about that. Man watching Barry shuffle is way onto ESPN holding a copy of Madden was sad. I died a lil bit inside.

rCIZZLE

How is this game for people like me that typically avoid online play? I was going to buy this on Amazon until I saw most of the reviews knocking the offline play and can't tell if they're serious or just EA-hate.

How is this game for people like me that typically avoid online play? I was going to buy this on Amazon until I saw most of the reviews knocking the offline play and can't tell if they're serious or just EA-hate.

Can't trust user reviews. A lot of the time it's just insecure/sad NFL2K fans.

JB1981

Why? I played the demo and it still seems like the same bullshit. The game isn't up there with the best the genre has to offer (NBA 2K, FIFA, MLB: The Show)

Good news, but the Vita version is reprehensible.

I rather enjoy my Vita version. I'm rotating between a franchise and a Superstar, having lots of fun. The most important aspects - gameplay from snap to whistle - are implemented very well and look great on that big ol' Vita screen.

There are plenty of issues too but to me they're inconsequential.

Love my 360 version plenty more, but I travel a lot so the Vita is my constant, loving companion.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The NFL grants the exclusive license, because they want an exclusive license. If the NFL wants to continue to exclusively grant a license, EA sure as hell isn't going to let another publisher have it.

Not sure many people understand that. The NFL is all about having an "Official Partner" for everything. They have official drinks, apparel supplier, credit cards, etc. EA is just the official videogame partner.

EA cleaned out alot of the old Madden staff, and new ideas have been implemented. I am really loving Madden 13.

Double D

This is all I ever play and it's pretty awesome. The only downfall this year for me is that they canned the NCAA > Madden draft export/import feature because evidently they couldn't make it work with connected careers.

That said, now I'm curious as to how NCAA did this year. This is the first time I skipped it because of the draft thing I mentioned above.

Drek

The football itself plays very well offline, though there are some glitches still to be sorted out. Probably a handful of times each game I would have a DB apparently read run and break towards the LOS for a few steps only to turn and run after the WR who now has a massive lead over him. If the WR is running a hook or a slant it's not the end of the world, but if he happens to be running a go route you just gave up a massive touchdown. Stuff like that is irritating, but I'm sure they'll fix those bugs in time.

Now if franchise mode is the main course for you when playing offline, well, then I'd have to caution you to avoid it for now. Connected Careers as a Coach is a poor substitute for franchise mode. I like a lot of what they added (scheme diversity, unique playbooks per team, etc.) but they give so little flexibility and customization.

The inability to edit player numbers, accessories, and especially positions is a huge omission. It basically locks all 4-3 DEs onto 4-3 teams and all 3-4 OLBs onto 3-4 teams, despite the fact that the two player types are incredibly similar and should to a large degree be interchangeable. Same goes with 4-3 UTs v. 3-4 5-tech DEs. A 6'6", 305 pound well rounded DL should be a highly desired player for both fronts, but if the game has made him a DT he's dead to all the 3-4 teams and if he's a DE the opposite is true.

The XP based progression system is nice in theory and far better in execution than I expected, but it leaves young second string players out in the cold as they need to play to really get a lot of XP and its hard to get them playing time when they enter the league in the 60's to low 70's, clearly inferior to the vets you have.

Further, the lack of assistant coaches is an obvious absence that makes the role of coach feel more shallow than it should be.

These last two issues, young player progression and the lack of assistants, seem like an ideal "two birds, one stone" solution to me. What I would like to see for next year is the inclusion of a full coaching staff (coordinators and position coaches plus a strength and conditioning coach). Coaches should all have stat modifiers like in MLB: The Show (that includes the HC) to differentiate them. Then allow the XP acquired by each individual assistant to be used for either their own improvement or for the improvement of any player under their supervision (i.e. QB coach only improves QBs, but OC can improve all offensive players). Same with the HC, that pool shouldn't be limited to FA signings and XP rate boosts but instead for real material improvements like you would see if a coach committed a lot of their time to a single player's improvement. In order to keep this from being a stat pad for veterans simply make the costs for coach based improvement scale on a higher top end than player XP based cost, so that the price for a coach based improvement over 85-90 in a stat is prohibitively expensive.

Something like this plus player editing and it would be the best football game to date.

Drek

Good news, but the Vita version is reprehensible.

The Vita version is fantastic. Gameplay is smooth and a nice hybrid between Madden 2012, NCAA 2013, and Madden 2013. The franchise mode completely destroys what we're currently being offered in the form of Connected Careers. They also have slightly different roster ratings and to be honest, I'd say the Vita's ratings are much more accurate.

Jittery presentation is far from a good reason to complain about the Vita version of Madden 2013.

eznark

Banned
The Vita version is fantastic. Gameplay is smooth and a nice hybrid between Madden 2012, NCAA 2013, and Madden 2013. The franchise mode completely destroys what we're currently being offered in the form of Connected Careers. They also have slightly different roster ratings and to be honest, I'd say the Vita's ratings are much more accurate.

Jittery presentation is far from a good reason to complain about the Vita version of Madden 2013.

Wait, so is the demo up on PSN not actually Madden 13? Because it sounds like you are playing a completely different game.

ElNino

I rather enjoy my Vita version. I'm rotating between a franchise and a Superstar, having lots of fun. The most important aspects - gameplay from snap to whistle - are implemented very well and look great on that big ol' Vita screen.

There are plenty of issues too but to me they're inconsequential.

Love my 360 version plenty more, but I travel a lot so the Vita is my constant, loving companion.
I don't have the console version (yet), but this is pretty much how I feel about the Vita version. It has it's issues, but it's still a fun game of football. I like being able to draw hot routes for my receivers on the fly too.

Wait, so is the demo up on PSN not actually Madden 13? Because it sounds like you are playing a completely different game.
I played, and hated, the demo of Madden 13 but I find the retail version to be much better. There is still some jittery presentation but not nearly as much as the demo.

Finally, some positive news.

New console versions are solid... despite silly post-play physics Benny Hill-esque comedy, they've done a real nice job with making the game just play and feel more like football. I also bought the Vita version. Ugh, plays well enough during actual play, but so choppy in the cut scenes.

Positive ? What part of annualy rehashed sports game selling better than predecessor is positive ?

ascii42

So they finally stopped putting Maddens out on PS2? So it managed 12 entries. The XBOX 360 needs just 4 more to match that. At the rate this generation is going, it may beat the PS2.

Derrick01

Banned

Going by the Vita thread it seems like the actual gameplay is fine but the framerate chugs during "scenes", like during pre-snap stuff or I guess after a play is over.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The football itself plays very well offline, though there are some glitches still to be sorted out. Probably a handful of times each game I would have a DB apparently read run and break towards the LOS for a few steps only to turn and run after the WR who now has a massive lead over him. If the WR is running a hook or a slant it's not the end of the world, but if he happens to be running a go route you just gave up a massive touchdown. Stuff like that is irritating, but I'm sure they'll fix those bugs in time.

Now if franchise mode is the main course for you when playing offline, well, then I'd have to caution you to avoid it for now. Connected Careers as a Coach is a poor substitute for franchise mode. I like a lot of what they added (scheme diversity, unique playbooks per team, etc.) but they give so little flexibility and customization.

The inability to edit player numbers, accessories, and especially positions is a huge omission. It basically locks all 4-3 DEs onto 4-3 teams and all 3-4 OLBs onto 3-4 teams, despite the fact that the two player types are incredibly similar and should to a large degree be interchangeable. Same goes with 4-3 UTs v. 3-4 5-tech DEs. A 6'6", 305 pound well rounded DL should be a highly desired player for both fronts, but if the game has made him a DT he's dead to all the 3-4 teams and if he's a DE the opposite is true.

The XP based progression system is nice in theory and far better in execution than I expected, but it leaves young second string players out in the cold as they need to play to really get a lot of XP and its hard to get them playing time when they enter the league in the 60's to low 70's, clearly inferior to the vets you have.

Further, the lack of assistant coaches is an obvious absence that makes the role of coach feel more shallow than it should be.

These last two issues, young player progression and the lack of assistants, seem like an ideal "two birds, one stone" solution to me. What I would like to see for next year is the inclusion of a full coaching staff (coordinators and position coaches plus a strength and conditioning coach). Coaches should all have stat modifiers like in MLB: The Show (that includes the HC) to differentiate them. Then allow the XP acquired by each individual assistant to be used for either their own improvement or for the improvement of any player under their supervision (i.e. QB coach only improves QBs, but OC can improve all offensive players). Same with the HC, that pool shouldn't be limited to FA signings and XP rate boosts but instead for real material improvements like you would see if a coach committed a lot of their time to a single player's improvement. In order to keep this from being a stat pad for veterans simply make the costs for coach based improvement scale on a higher top end than player XP based cost, so that the price for a coach based improvement over 85-90 in a stat is prohibitively expensive.

Something like this plus player editing and it would be the best football game to date.

Agreed with everything you posted, but I am still loving the game.

I am hoping that this year's game is laying the foundation for next-gen Madden. I hope they don't drop all the features and start over.

Drek

The framerate is perfectly smooth during gameplay, probably somewhere between 15-20 fps during cut scenes. The lag during play selection is greatly reduced as compared to the demo. Much better experience from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm not crazy about the back touchpad for ball swats, but that is more than off-set by how well the touch to hot route, touch to select defender, and pre-snap adjustments work via the touchscreen and touchpad respectively.

Drek

Agreed with everything you posted, but I am still loving the game.

I am hoping that this year's game is laying the foundation for next-gen Madden. I hope they don't drop all the features and start over.

My view as well. I'll be playing Madden on the Vita until they work out the kinks on the console versions, then I'll probably go back to the PS3 for the back half of the NFL season. My one big hope is they allow editable positions by then.

Other than that, yes, it is a strong foundation. One more big step forward in terms of franchise depth and they'll have the kind of core experience that can carry them for another 5 years or more.

bjb

Banned
Before I purchase this game I was curious if this game is still plagued by "Robo-QB"? Unrealistic CPU AI during off-line play.

It always annoyed me how easy All-Pro was, but All Madden seemed insanely over-tuned.

This is all I ever play and it's pretty awesome. The only downfall this year for me is that they canned the NCAA > Madden draft export/import feature because evidently they couldn't make it work with connected careers.

That said, now I'm curious as to how NCAA did this year. This is the first time I skipped it because of the draft thing I mentioned above.

Ah that sucks. You can't import NCAA players into your franchise? That's lame. Not being able to edit players seems weak too.

linkboy

I've been critical of EA all gen with the 1/2 assed Madden games they've released, but I really have to give them credit with 13. The game still isn't up to the PS2\Xbox versions, but its the best its been all gen.

bjb

Banned
The impressions over at Operation Sports are just absolutely brutal. Apparently this game is a buggy / unfinished / uninspired mess.

Definitely going to hold off on purchasing. I'll stick with NCAA - even though it didn't even really impress me.

The real question is.

Is it better than NFL2k5?

So sad that they're even still comparable lol. 2K5 was definitely the GOAT, and I don't hate Madden by any means.

I've been critical of EA all gen with the 1/2 assed Madden games they've released, but I really have to give them credit with 13. The game still isn't up to the PS2\Xbox versions, but its the best its been all gen.
Completely agree. I've really enjoyed playing this version for the most part.

Fox Mulder

The impressions over at Operation Sports are just absolutely brutal. Apparently this game is a buggy / unfinished / uninspired mess.

Definitely going to hold off on purchasing. I'll stick with NCAA - even though it didn't even really impress me.

So sad that they're even still comparable lol. 2K5 was definitely the GOAT, and I don't hate Madden by any means.

I figured the usual impressions would trickle out after the release hype. I used to love the genre, but the exclusive license bullshit ruined everything. I can't even get a goddamn MLB game on the 360 anymore, not like 2ks shit was worth it anyways.

Top Bottom