• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 13: 900K sold in first 24 hours on HD Platforms and Record # of players online

Orca

I love the game on the field, but man they left out a whole lot of the 'off-field' experience this time.

Izick

Based on 2010 first month NPD sales, no

1-[360] Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts) 920.800
2-[PS3] Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts) 893.600

I don't know 2011 split.

Wow, that's crazy. Good for the PS3 version, usually the 360 takes the ball and runs with it.

boyshine

Did they remove KINECT support from the PAL version, or is it still hidden in there despite no "Better with"-logo on the cover?

rCIZZLE

Can you simulate practice in the career mode? Sucks they got rid of Franchise. When I buy Madden I pretty much only want to play the actual games, not grind stats. :\

edit: nvm apparently I can. The simulate seems pretty generic though... I'd prefer to simulate a specific scenario then get some random xp.

Bgamer90

Banned
The game still isn't up to the PS2\Xbox versions, but its the best its been all gen.

At this point, what does Madden 2005 do that's better?

13 blows in out in pretty much every aspect though I could understand if someone says Franchise mode if they are disappointed at the lack of options in connected career's coach mode.

Bgamer90

Banned
What part of annualy rehashed sports game selling better than predecessor is positive ?

The fact that they actually put effort into the game this year?

The hate for sports games is pretty ridiculous IMO. They make more changes in gameplay/ features each year in comparison to games of other genres (with some series in other genres having an iteration every 2-3 years).

It's funny since most who say they are rehashed and nothing more don't even play them much to even know.

Bgamer90

Banned
The impressions over at Operation Sports are just absolutely brutal. Apparently this game is a buggy / unfinished / uninspired mess.

Game has bugs (like any sports game) but it's enjoyable. During this time OS is filled with people staying on the boards positing negative impressions while everyone else that is enjoying the game is spending time playing it.

Infinity engine alone makes it one of the best football games ever IMO.

There are countless videos on YT exposing just how poorly the new engine is being used. Scripted animations and pre-determined outcomes are still a problem in the game. Like we always say, maybe next year.

I rather enjoy my Vita version. I'm rotating between a franchise and a Superstar, having lots of fun. The most important aspects - gameplay from snap to whistle - are implemented very well and look great on that big ol' Vita screen.

There are plenty of issues too but to me they're inconsequential.

Love my 360 version plenty more, but I travel a lot so the Vita is my constant, loving companion.

Big? Compared to what? A phone?

Jtrizzy

Deep corner routes seem to be back this year after nerfing them in 12. Seems they have flipped it from 12 where the inside post routes were always money. I seem to notice resolution drops on the PS3 version though. Very infrequent and brief, but some kind of blurriness is occurring. The game also seems too dark in some situations. Overall it is fine, but I do laugh when the little screen pops up saying, "looking for franchise mode?"

Bgamer90

Banned
There are countless videos on YT exposing just how poorly the new engine is being used. Scripted animations and pre-determined outcomes are still a problem in the game. Like we always say, maybe next year.

"Pre-determined outcomes" can be twisted into a trait for every sports game. Ratings have to play a part in some way/fashion. Sometimes it's not noticeable and other times it's overly-noticeable.

I use the Bills in CC and it's pretty obvious that at times the game doesn't want me to beat a team with a higher rating. Sometimes happens via dropped open passes, or overthrown passes with the WR open (Fitz is known for ovethrowing passes though). Just means that I have to play harder to win (as I should since the Bills are ranked lower than the majority of the teams in the game).

The infinity engine isn't perfect at all but it's a big improvement to a game that used to have suction tackling and same animation tackling... tackling in which area/placement didn't matter since you would still get sucked into animations and wait for them to play out.

That doesn't happen in Madden 13. Each game feels unique since the tackling animations are unique and are influenced by placement/movement. Again it isn't perfect but I can't see how anyone can dismiss it like a typical feature added to a sports game. It's huge and it will only get better from here as they continue to spend more time with it to refine it (well hopefully... Like I said before, I really hope they continue on this path and don't go back to adding "madden 11 like" features).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The crime is stripping down the franchise mode..

No draft? GTFO...

Shadybiz

The crime is stripping down the franchise mode..

No draft? GTFO...

What else is missing from the franchise mode? I'm asking because I am interested in picking the game up, but franchise is basically all I play when I buy any type of sports game.

Blackace

Coaches career has everything the franchise mode had, including the draft, I believe.
You believe wrong, son.

They have a draft after the season, but you cannot do a fantasy draft
What else is missing from the franchise mode? I'm asking because I am interested in picking the game up, but franchise is basically all I play when I buy any type of sports game.

me too...no draft nor player editing... Meaning you can end up with players with the same number.. I am sure they will patch that tho

Also no importing NCAA rosters..

Blackace

Oh, yeah, I have no idea about a fantasy draft.

They did the draft fairly well, with pick break downs for each pick..

Also trade logic is broken fairly bad....

eznark

Banned
I'm reserving any judgement on the franchise mode replacement until the gaf franchise starts.

Connected careers as a player fucking suuuuuuuuucks though.

Shadybiz

me too...no draft nor player editing... Meaning you can end up with players with the same number.. I am sure they will patch that tho

Ah, that is kind of lame, but at least there is the draft after the 1st season. Will likely still pick it up to fill the current void on my PS3.

eznark

Banned
I don't think Madden ever let you do the draft preceeding your initial year, did it? That would mean they were using the rosters from the end of 2011 and not the start of 2012. That doesn't sound right at all.

jfkgoblue

I don't think Madden ever let you do the draft preceeding your initial year, did it? That would mean they were using the rosters from the end of 2011 and not the start of 2012. That doesn't sound right at all.

I believe he is talking about the fantasy draft where all the players in the NFL are put in 1 large draft pool

ElNino

You believe wrong, son.

They have a draft after the season, but you cannot do a fantasy draft

me too...no draft nor player editing
... Meaning you can end up with players with the same number.. I am sure they will patch that tho

Strange those things are left out of the console versions while the Vita has them. I did a franchise fantasy draft last night so I'm happy to playing with a Dolphins team that has some "real" NFL players on it. ;-)

Generally good feelings from me on Madden this year. In play physics are a win, and the post play hilarity is good too. The few glitches and bugs in gameplay don't bother me much because they feel organic and add to the game.

My complaints are generally in a few major miscues with the online mode, Connected Careers. Frustrating problems with it, and many other gamers are upset about dropped features from Franchise that don't fit into Connected Careers.

Overall, I am very happy though.

Strange those things are left out of the console versions while the Vita has them. I did a franchise fantasy draft last night so I'm happy to playing with a Dolphins team that has some "real" NFL players on it. ;-)

Theyr'e in Vita because Vita is basically Madden '12 with '13 branding. Madden '13 dropped the seminal Franchise mode in favor of a refreshed connected franchise + career mode. The mode is a great improvement and has lots of details, and is very well done, but to do it, they had to drop things like Fantasy Draft and -- my only regret -- importing your NCAA draft classes. Neither are deal breakers for me, but they are deal breakers for others.

I think the overall gameplay is better but it seems like in a lot of sport games, "Improved gameplay = less features"

Blackace

Theyr'e in Vita because Vita is basically Madden '12 with '13 branding. Madden '13 dropped the seminal Franchise mode in favor of a refreshed connected franchise + career mode. The mode is a great improvement and has lots of details, and is very well done, but to do it, they had to drop things like Fantasy Draft and -- my only regret -- importing your NCAA draft classes. Neither are deal breakers for me, but they are deal breakers for others.

it seems like the trade logic is broken and that makes not having a draft painful...

Drek

1. The Vita includes the touch based passing system of Madden 2013 on consoles, FYI, and cribbed a LOT from NCAA 2013. It's basically what Madden 2013 would have been if they had held off one more year on the infinity engine and connected careers.

2. How can you call Connected Careers as a Coach "very well done" when:
  • Young bench player development is now broken.
  • You can't edit players, cutting off large swaths of draft and FA options as you can't move 3-4 OLBs to 4-3 DE and vice versa, 5-tech DE to DT, etc..
  • There is no coaching staff at all, instead apparently your one coach runs EVERYTHING.
  • The coach XP uses are very weak.
  • The current roster is actually LESS accurate than the Vita version. For example, Derek Wolfe will start for the Broncos as a rookie at LDE this year. On Vita he's a 72 DE. On consoles he's a 63. Who would ever let that 34th overall pick start enough to develop?
  • Trade AI is at least as busted as it always is.
  • Everything, including seeing if your team won a game on a sim out, is burried several layers deep. This problem is only made worse by the fact that the game locks up far too frequently during menu navigation.
  • You are unable to change your coach's offensive and defensive schemes in any real effective way once you choose them. Start as a 3-4 team you're stuck as a 3-4 team, no matter what your team's talent profile best fits.
  • The CPU drafts worse than they trade. I had the #7 overall player in the draft fall to me at #32. He was an all world RB, best overall rating in the draft class and only 20 years old. Brilliant.

Those are just the "handful" of issues I noticed in my first season of sim out.

A lot of this could be fixed in upcoming patches but I can't play future Madden 2013, only present Madden 2013. Right now, if you want a compelling single player franchise mode the only place to get it is on the Vita.

Barrage

I think Madden's continually strong sales could be due, in part, to being one of the only franchises that comes out on a consistent, annual basis NOT in the extremely competitve "Npvember=December" window all the AAA Blockbusters do. I know many people who aren't football fans, but are simplt looking for something to play right now, and are considering Madden more seriously than previous years.

Cheech

Random stupid question of the day: Can someone with the PS3/360 version check to see if they have the Lions fight song in there after a score? It was missing last year despite being in place for a ton of other teams, and would actually sell me a copy of the game. Thanks!

Franchise mode has been replaced with a much improved career mode that integrates the "super star" mode in with the franchise mode. It's a great addition to the series and sets a good foundation for the future, as this will be *the* mode like how Franchise has been *the* mode. For most people, the mode is basically the same. But it's missing two things that some people liked: A Fantasy Draft to start and importing NCAA draft classes.

It's also removed 2-player one console Franchise mode. You can't "share" a franchise mode between two players on one console anymore. Although, the benefit is a seamlessly integrated online that supports 32 players, who play either as coaches or players.

Generally, Connected Careers is a much better mode than Franchise ever was. It's very, very deep -- much more deep than any of the Franchise modes -- and has off set any of the things removed with a very well done experience. It has a strong emphasis on newspaper-like storylines, and feels like a much more realistic experience, as it crafts stories about upcoming rookies in the draft, players making career moves, teams hiring and firing coaches, as well as micro-stories in the form of fake Twitter feeds. In addition to that stuff, there's a pretty great player management XP system where you can practice and achieve goals to earn XP, which is used to improve player (and coach) traits.

The mode is well done. If you like Franchise mode, you'll love Connected Careers. The two casualties, though, are Fantasy Draft and NCAA draft class import, but both were removed because they had to be to do the mode correctly.

Can we talk Madden in here all year or is there another thread? Because I will be going hard on both platforms all season.

Offensive lineman are double team blocking in totally wrong situations. Will Pinch or Aggressive make them engage for single coverage? Because DEs are not being blocked at all. But my anger to that is limited because some possessions you net positive yards on the ground, some you dont. Im doing a good job of stopping the run in 4th qtrs though.

You gotta remember, the ball will take time to get to a WR. So when you throw, any defensive player does have time to meet the ball before your WR can. Its not so much shady AI, as you just throwing to someone who was never really open to begin with. Each hike, Im only looking for two people to be open, if they are not. Ima just scrabble.

Do not play man coverage on outside WRs. Due to the glitch and such general speed differences.

I dont play all the franchise mode stuff, so I have no say either way.

Drek

The mode is well done. If you like Franchise mode, you'll love Connected Careers. The two casualties, though, are Fantasy Draft and NCAA draft class import, but both were removed because they had to be to do the mode correctly.

Again, no, right now Connected Careers is shit and it's missing a hell of a lot more than fantasy draft and NCAA imports. More people have been bitching about the lack of player editing than those two issues combined.

snip

A lot of this could be fixed in upcoming patches but I can't play future Madden 2013, only present Madden 2013. Right now, if you want a compelling single player franchise mode the only place to get it is on the Vita.

This is generally what I'm going from. The overall foundation of the mode is strong, and there are glitches that I think will be fixed. Design decisions, like dropping fantasy draft & roster imports, will not be fixed, but I'm confident that the trade logic and XP allocation for bench nobodies will be rectified in a patch.

Also, let's remember, these same glitches (or one's like them) have plagued Franchise mode and Dynasty mode in Madden and NCAA every year, and they're usually fixed with a patch. There are always progression and roster management problems every year.

I'm treating the mode like how I treated Skyrim -- a solid foundation with a bunch of annoying glitches that were (from a 360 perspective) fixed. I give credit to the Madden team for doing something new, rather than releasing the same Franchise mode that they released last year. I also think this will help get them running for next gen, which was a major problem with this generation of Madden.. where Madden '06 on the 360 was such a huge step back from Madden '06 on the PS2/X-Box, and it took them, really, four years before they had a product that competed with last generation's Madden games. I think by shooting high with Connected Careers -- even despite the glitches -- it's helping to set them up to be in a good position for the first release on the next gen of consoles.

Again, no, right now Connected Careers is shit and it's missing a hell of a lot more than fantasy draft and NCAA imports. More people have been bitching about the lack of player editing than those two issues combined.

Yeah, that's true.

I'll add:

If you want the ability to edit players for all 32-teams, something they added back into Franchise mode a few years ago after it was absent, you cannot do that. Frankly, though, I do not think that the OS crowd that obsesses over editing player cleat colors, helmet visors, and the ratings of the 2nd string RT for the Cleveland Browns, are indicative of how the majority of players are going to play the game. Especially if someone has held off for a week or two before buying it and they haven't read anything about the new mode (the guy I was responding to), that probably really doesn't matter to them.

Also, you're deluding yourself if you remember previous year's Madden franchise modes not being riddled with glitches on release. Remember 2 years ago when, after progressing 4+ seasons, CPU teams had 1 QB, 12 CBs, and 10 WRs, no offensive linemen, not enough d-line, kickers as backup QBs? And on top of that, progression was so borked that a majority of teams were rated in the 70s after three or four years.

Xater

So they finally stopped putting Maddens out on PS2? So it managed 12 entries. The XBOX 360 needs just 4 more to match that. At the rate this generation is going, it may beat the PS2.

Interesting. FIA is still getting a PS2 release.

Shadybiz

good synopsis

Thanks for the response! Also to Drek, for your input. You're right in saying that I wouldn't care much about editing players. However, I do think it's weird that you can't change defensive schemes; that does seem like a huge omission. Ah well, I'll probably still pick it up.

Shadybiz on PSN if you want to pound on someone who doesn't strategize very well :)

Amagon

Never played Madden and starting to get really in to football this year. How hard/easy to catch on with game to play with for a noob?

ibm3rb2KDM0y8N.gif

this is fantastic!
I look forward to the inevitable YouTube compilations!

that gif is awesome. The post play stuff is so weird, and it's totally unrealistic 98% of the time, but it adds some fun to it. Like when my player was just sitting on the other teams running back, like squating on him, for 10 seconds.

There are some annoyances with it, like when your back gets completely taken out by his own offensive line.

Did they remove KINECT support from the PAL version, or is it still hidden in there despite no "Better with"-logo on the cover?

I dunno, I randomly noticed on the Cowboys game last night the Madden commercial had "better with Kinect" at the end. The announcer saying it.

Thought to myself "well MS is paying them or something".

LOL.

Will do then

Thats no fun at all. Just buy the new one you know you want to.

Anyways+8% qualifies as great success in this market I suppose.

Shadybiz

I waffled and got the 360 version. I have only played one game, but I definitely like what I see. I need to figure out a good defense for protecting the middle, though; Cover 2 isn't doing it.

Gamertag: Sifu Shady if anyone wants to play sometime.

Top Bottom