• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Switch Info (includes Ultimate Team, missing The Journey, has PBR rendering)

Makeda

People should expect the latter scenario.

Yup, I feel like that is going to be the case here. All the talk is on the engine and amount of modes rather than any specific features that make the game a step up from last years.

Guess I'll wait on the fence until there's significant footage of the game out there :/

EDarkness

The modes are fine, but the real question is whether it will retain all the new gameplay features that EA are touting this year (such as new crossing mechanics, dribbling, pens and on the fly substitutions) or is it simply going to be FIFA 17 with a new roster.

My guess is that some of the will make it in and some won't. Since EA isn't really talking about it, it'll be up to people who are really interested in the game to get to the bottom of it. If I was there, I would have definitely asked and reported on it.

Kureransu

It should be 40-50$ if not included single player (journey mode).
Yeah I doubt that'll happen. In still have flashbacks of Mass effect 3 being 60 on Wii U, when the trilogy was 60 on PS360. I'd love to be wrong though.

Please EA, prove me wrong.

BDGAME

maxresdefault.jpg

DB_N5aJUAAAlK4C.jpg

Ok, look good enough.

Karish

I think EA will be rewarded handsomely for this quality port. Also FIFA IMO had the worst graphically leap between gens simply due to the camera viewpoint

I am not familiar with FIFA and it's modes. Will this have a offline mode? Like a mode that will allow the player to choose a team, and manage that team by trading players and signing free agents like MLB.

Barcelona team will be very happy btw

Edit: people actually expected a worse version than PS3 / 360 lol

No PS3/360 level is what they were expecting. We're getting better than that.

I am not familiar with FIFA and it's modes. Will this have a offline mode? Like a mode that will allow the player to choose a team, and manage that team by trading players and signing free agents like MLB.

Yes, that's Career Mode.

I played the Switch version for quite some time today. It really feels like the full thing - visuals aside (though that doesn't mean it looks like crap). It was pretty damn good.

720p60 and 1080p60.

Kureransu

I played the Switch version for quite some time today. It really feels like the full thing - visuals aside (though that doesn't mean it looks like crap). It was pretty damn good.

720p60 and 1080p60.

don't be a tease! lol

I assume you played one of the frostbite versions as well, how did it stack up control wise? Did it feel like the same game with a graphical difference?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

720p60 and 1080p60.

oh wow

720p60 handheld fifa... damn

Hearing all the positive news about this game actually has me kind of interested in it. I don't watch soccer, but I've casually enjoyed the FIFA games in the past, and having this on a handheld would be pretty cool.

Also, the chance is seeing an NHL game seems unlikely, so FIFA may be the best choice for sports sim on the console.

Mory Dunz

FIFA on switch might be one of the more interesting third party projects.

if it sells well (and 2k too I suppose), it might lead to madden coming and other games.

And and if all those games are regularly selling on Switch, then other stuff may come.

My personal belief? it'll do well enough to justify another FIFA, but that's about it.

It's weird since EA *only* has FIFA for Switch.
No madden, no NBA, etc.

I believe there was a rumor that they were contractually obligated to put out at least one per platform, wonder if that's the case here.

If it's based on the 360 version that could explain why it's 1080p 60fps (?) which might be the better idea than a terrible port of the PS4 version.

BuggyMike

I had a feeling it would turn out decent even if it wasn't Frostbyte as the Switch's power would still allow for a respectable resolution and some extra graphical flourishes even on an older engine. 1080p60fps with PBR sounds really nice.

if it sells well (and 2k too I suppose), it might lead to madden coming and other games.

And and if all those games are regularly selling on Switch, then other stuff may come.

My personal belief? it'll do well enough to justify another FIFA, but that's about it.

Madden usually releases in late Summer. They might as well skip the 2018 version for the Switch if their decision will be based on FIFA 18's performance.

mieumieu

FIFA players around me dont really play The Journey mode. One reason is that it features a black player and can't customize (my opinion? I played through the whole thing, while it is good and all, it is not that top priority in my purchase decision). But more importantly they either play seasons or UT. So as long as there is that, and the community is there, and the game is closer to PS4 version gameplay wise, then there should be no problem.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
FIFA players around me dont really play The Journey mode. One reason is that it features a black player and can't customize (my opinion? I played through the whole thing, while it is good and all, it is not that top priority in my purchase decision). But more importantly they either play seasons or UT. So as long as there is that, and the community is there, and the game is closer to PS4 version gameplay wise, then there should be no problem.
That's really an issue for some people? k

Edit: Seems like that's an old story... don't want to derail thread.

EDarkness

720p60 and 1080p60.

That's awesome. Were you able to play with a single joy-con?

Effect

This is a trap. Do not fall into it. You see that but I think others need to be mindful of it. That "might" will never happen. It has never happen. These "test games" have been done before and situations like this has lead to more games like it or nothing at all. If EA sees they can sell an older engine game with less content for a profit the next game they do will be the same thing. They will continue in that manner. If it doesn't sell or the second sales fall off they will pull the little support there is. They've this in the past.

This FIFA game has always been a lose/lose situation. No matter how it turns out Switch owners are getting the short end of the stick and are going to be screwed one way or another.

This is why any genuine and honest effort from EA would have included them porting Frostbite to the system and making the game on that. The engine all of their games going forward will be and are using.

People should be okay or glad this thing isn't a piece of shit (seemingly at this point) but people shouldn't lose sight of the issues here.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You're right the resolution would drop but there are ways to mitigate the loss in IQ. Volumetric lighting can be done though again at a reduced quality and likely with customization that uses FP16 for calculations. On the other hand, they'd be able to bring the full experience over. Theoretical though, DICE hasn't even been able to have time to write a Vulkan rendering branch so they are far too stretched for it to have been a possibility this year.

frostbite is just an engine, and fifa by itself is no battlefileld 1, there's no reason to believe that it cant run it at 1080p

No madden, no NBA, etc.

I believe there was a rumor that they were contractually obligated to put out at least one per platform, wonder if that's the case here.

If it's based on the 360 version that could explain why it's 1080p 60fps (?) which might be the better idea than a terrible port of the PS4 version.
It's not weird. FIFA is their biggest franchise and the sport with most worldwide appeal. Madden only sells in America where the Switch has an audience of around 1M right now, NBA has a bit more appeal than Madden in the rest of the world but the development of that game has been iffy (it was originally supposed to come out in February) and they would have to compete with NBA 2K which is more popular.

There's nothing that validates that rumour and it seems like they actually made an effort to have the Switch version with practically the same features of the X1/PS4/PC, it even has the FUT Icons that are not present on the PS3/Xbox 360 versions.
The Journey isn't on it because that mode was made with Frostbite in mind, they said last year it was the big reason why the changed engines as it allowed them to things outside the range of the previous engine.
Visually it has things that are not present on the PS3/Xbox 360 versions.

usp84

Hmmm i am not a Fifa fan but a portable version of a sports game like this is good enough for me since it seems to be a decent version

depward

I rather enjoyed pes / fifa on 3DS and Vita... So I'm happy to hear this is a bit more feature-complete than those efforts.

Optimistic.

EDarkness

People should be okay or glad this thing isn't a piece of shit (seemingly at this point) but people shouldn't lose sight of the issues here.

This is where I'm at now. Gonna try to get something out of it since I want a soccer game, but expecting EA to do more than this next time is gonna be a lesson in frustration. Like I said earlier, if this thing succeeds, it'll be largely on our backs in spite of EA. The odds of it turning into anything else is fairly low. The fact that they talked about the Scorpio on stage today and not the NS, should tell everyone what they need to know about future support.

Arkam

Still pretty excited for this one. The screen grabs look great. Here is hoping for some off screen gameplay vids popping up soon. PS3 quality Fifa on the go? Yes please.

720p60 and 1080p60.

I will admit that I thought this would run poorly. 60fps at 1080p is very good to hear.

jmizzal

No madden, no NBA, etc.

Yes they will have to put Madden on Switch at some point, they might wait til next year or announce it later this year

jdstorm

Banned
This is a trap. Do not fall into it. You see that but I think others need to be mindful of it. That "might" will never happen. It has never happen. These "test games" have been done before and situations like this has lead to more games like it or nothing at all. If EA sees they can sell an older engine game with less content for a profit the next game they do will be the same thing. They will continue in that manner. If it doesn't sell or the second sales fall off they will pull the little support there is. They've this in the past.

This FIFA game has always been a lose/lose situation. No matter how it turns out Switch owners are getting the short end of the stick and are going to be screwed one way or another.

This is why any genuine and honest effort from EA would have included them porting Frostbite to the system and making the game on that. The engine all of their games going forward will be and are using.

Honestly. The best case scenario for Switch Owners is that FIFA tanks, but NBA 2K and the other fully featured 3rd party efforts are rewarded. That will either get Switch owners a better port next year, or a version of PES.

Suporting Half Assed test games is bad for consumers.

Top Bottom