• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Switch Info (includes Ultimate Team, missing The Journey, has PBR rendering)

Rodin

People forget that 360/PS3 quality looks pretty damn amazing on a handheld
Physically based rendering, 3D grass and crowds, 1080/60 docked and 720/60 undocked. It's not last gen.

Btw, i'm curious to see how NBA looks as well. Seems like Nintendo is also pushing that version so it should be good too.

Ryoku

Physically based rendering, 3D grass and crowds, 1080/60 docked and 720/60 undocked. It's not last gen.

Players are the most realistic they've ever been due to new Physically Based Player Rendering

Looks like only the players will get the benefits of PBR.
Not like it matters much for a game where green grass dominates the screen the vast majority of the time.

Not like it matters much for a game where green grass dominates the screen the vast majority of the time.

And the grass is at 3D as opposed to the flat grass of PS360 so it'll look all the more impressive.

I mean, did you read the text? That's right, you didn't, because it's illegible. That should clue you in that this isn't the output image of the Switch (which this never is, it's always a (compressed) overlay image).

Because it's not on Frostbite.

Sorry I waited so long to answer...I was getting drunk. Wohoo...whatever.

It wasnt the resolution what put me of. It were the details. You can already see that it isnt anything special or advanced you will gwt. Yes yes..ea could done more

LordRaptor

PBR is an all or nothing deal, you can't mix and match things that are and things that aren't

hohoXD123

I don't really see this happening. Who is going to play that seriously? I mean playing against each other with controllers yes, but with joy con? For a semi serieus football game? Seems impossible to me.

For singeplayer games it seems fantastic. Although I'll stay with the base version for this year. Just because that would still be my ideal FIFA place. Controller, couch and a headset.
Not sure how you cannot see the appeal. It's obviously not as good as having full controllers playing on a 60 inch TV but being able to take your switch while travelling and being able to play a full blown FIFA game anytime, anywhere even without a TV is a very strong selling point. With the right advertising I can see this being a system seller in the UK/Europe.

As you said - and which I agree with - multiplayer and local play is the USP here. Again, I think people will trade fidelty of controls for a social experience.

If I really like FIFA and my friends invite me to play when I hang out with them, I might grumble about a limited control scheme (if it was one) but it wouldn't stop me playing.

I wonder how EA is going to use the FIFA streamers to market this. THey'll have to do loads of in-person events and crossover videos of them screaming and shouting.

If your friends invite you to play why play on switch at all? I mean it isn't like this is the optimal version for playing at home in any way. No I don't see this taking off in a co op multiplayer way. Career mode on the go seems really cool tough!

hohoXD123

If your friends invite you to play why play on switch at all? I mean it isn't like this is the optimal version for playing at home in any way. No I don't see this taking off in a co op multiplayer way. Career mode on the go seems really cool tough!

Well...because they may not have a PS4/X1 and FIFA? And carrying around a switch (heck, the dock too, the thing is tiny) is much easier than carrying around a PS4, controllers and the disc.

spelen

Today I flew from Canada to Holland and besides the fact that the guy sitting behind and in front of me happened​ to have a switch. me and my brother spontaneously decided to play the demo of sniperclips and despite the tiny controls it was amazing fun time killer! Imagine doing that with Fifa and things start to get exciting.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Frostbite running at 60fps on Switch, no matter what they downgrade seems like a big challenge. I'm still hoping that the console's success will encourage EA to give it a go.

But Fifa on Switch in 1080/720 60fps with Ultimate Team is as good a result as we could realistically expect.

They just need to confirm 8 players using single joycons on a single console like Bomberman to cement my purchase.

Barryman

Frostbite running at 60fps on Switch, no matter what they downgrade seems like a big challenge. I'm still hoping that the console's success will encourage EA to give it a go

I have no first hand experience with Frostbite but I'm not sure why that would be the case. Frostbite is designed for performance so assuming that the right features are stripped out it should run faster, no?

Realeza

Banned
If only this had The Journey I wouldn't even consider getting other versions. But now I remain hesitant, even though it actually looks pretty good.

Frostbite running at 60fps on Switch, no matter what they downgrade seems like a big challenge. I'm still hoping that the console's success will encourage EA to give it a go.

Why do people keep going on about performance? We have no indication that that's the reason whatsoever. From what we've heard it seems like porting isn't worth it in EA's mind. Also an "engine" running at a certain framerate makes no sense. An engine is simply a collection of commonly used and standardized features. As long as HW supports all the features of an engine, it fully supports the engine. Games built on an engine on certain hardware can have trouble running at high framerates, but not the engine itself

But Fifa on Switch in 1080/720 60fps with Ultimate Team is as good a result as we could realistically expect.

They just need to confirm 8 players using single joycons on a single console like Bomberman to cement my purchase.

It wouldn't be a challenge to port. It's more of an issue of manpower. A Vulkan renderer has been in the pipeline for over 2 years and it is still not done and Vulkan is based off Mantle!!! However, it looks like the middleware team at DICE is already stretched. Best to hope this game and others bring in profit so that EA could allocate money in the budget for more middleware developers. The most beneficial path would be complete ARM/Vulkan port. That would be good for PC(non windows 10), mobile, and Switch. Most bang for the buck.

Gotta say, I'm impressed that they got the what appears to PS4/ONE version of the last year's game running on a handheld. Feature parity is a shame, but the team behind it is does appear to be trying at least.

Barryman

Why do people keep going on about performance? We have no indication that that's the reason whatsoever. From what we've heard it seems like porting isn't worth it in EA's mind. Also an "engine" running at a certain framerate makes no sense. An engine is simply a collection of commonly used and standardized features. As long as HW supports all the features of an engine, it fully supports the engine. Games built on an engine on certain hardware can have trouble running at high framerates, but not the engine itself
Well there are aspects of an engine that could make it run inherently faster or slower - ex. the renderer.

But for a high end engine like Frostbite it is typically designed to run as fast as possible.

Schnozberry

For those who don't know what NBA 2k17 looked like on PS3/360 and PS4/XBO, here's a video to show off the PS3 vs. PS4 versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNiUmCqRgA

Not really fair to compare directly to PS3 and 360. Those consoles were handicapped late in their lives by their RAM allotments and lack of support for modern rendering techniques, which are things the Switch does not have to deal with.

The Switch version likely won't attain the fidelity of the PS4/XB1, but it's not going to have the same textures or lighting as the previous gen version. People get way too hung up on FLOPS as the reason games look like they do.

Astral Dog

Not really fair to compare directly to PS3 and 360. Those consoles were handicapped late in their lives by their RAM allotments and lack of support for modern rendering techniques, which are things the Switch does not have to deal with.

The Switch version likely won't attain the fidelity of the PS4/XB1, but it's not going to have the same textures or lighting as the previous gen version. People get way too hung up on FLOPS as the reason games look like they do.
I think his post was not supposed to be negative 🤔

EDarkness

Well, that wasn't really my point. I was just giving people some idea of what both versions looked like and I expect the NS to fall somewhere in-between. I also imagine they'll hit 1080p/60fps docked and 720p/60fps handheld with a lot of the PS4/XBO graphical features/models making it over.

Schnozberry

I think his post was not supposed to be negative 🤔

Sorry, I wasn't intending to flame anybody in response. I was just pointing out that when people make comparisons to 360/PS3, it's because they condense the entirety of GPU performance down to the FLOPS number and it's a really poor way to measure overall capability.

Effect

I am actually surprised it looks as good as it does in the off screen images. Feature wise there is more then I expected. Still no Frostbite so I fully expect this to be a one and done game unless for some reason they decided to stick with this engine for Switch games. Doubt it though.

I still want to see actual gameplay and see what the price is if they're completely removing The Journey mode. You don't just remove an entire mode and keep the price the same as the other versions. Will always call BS on that.

Ex-Psych

Wow EA actually put proper effort and didn't half ass a Switch Version?

Maybe the "Unprecended Partnership" wasn't complete bull.

This may be the first FIFA I ever buy.

nampad

So the majority is happy with the port now?
At least we know it weren't the lazy devs if the game isn't performing.

EDarkness

I don't know if I'd go that far. They don't seem to be promoting the game at all and it's still missing a mode that a lot of people may want. So it's not 100% complete, but seems like a decent effort. I think if the game does well, it'll do so on the backs of us, the gamers, and not EA themselves.

Effect

Not so fast. I just see people acknowledging it doesn't look like crap and that it doesn't appear to be at the bottom of the barrel effort wise. Doesn't do away with the Frostbite issue, or that this could be a one off, etc. Those issues still exist.

Makeda

The modes are fine, but the real question is whether it will retain all the new gameplay features that EA are touting this year (such as new crossing mechanics, dribbling, pens and on the fly substitutions) or is it simply going to be FIFA 17 with a new roster.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The modes are fine, but the real question is whether it will retain all the new gameplay features that EA are touting this year (such as new crossing mechanics, dribbling, pens and on the fly substitutions) or is it simply going to be FIFA 17 with a new roster.
People should expect the latter scenario.

big_erk

Eww...

DB_1Rx0VwAE_KO9

There's no anti-aliasing on that pube. What year is this?

I'm in, and I'm switching over from PES. I love the Switch. Its my favorite way to play games.

I want Madden too, and i would def buy a baseball game.

Top Bottom