• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Switch Info (includes Ultimate Team, missing The Journey, has PBR rendering)

EDarkness

Played it briefly myself. A step down from the other version but it looks quite good on the Switch itself. 60fps during gameplay and 30 during cuts and other angles (as usual I suppose). Character models are decent but look kinda dated. I think folks will be generally happy with the visual aspect at least.

Can you get some video, or are cameras not allowed?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Played it briefly myself. A step down from the other version but it looks quite good on the Switch itself. 60fps during gameplay and 30 during cuts and other angles (as usual I suppose). Character models are decent but look kinda dated. I think folks will be generally happy with the visual aspect at least.
Thanks for these early impressions! So the game is playable :) Have you noticed touchscreen features?

The_Lump

Banned
USgamer posted a quick offscreen handheld mode photo to their Twitter page:

DB_N5aJUAAAlK4C.jpg:orig

Cool, looks good. Pre-ordered.

Can't fault EA here, this seems like a solid effort and hopefully it sells well enough for them to keep it up.

Gators300

Banned

And this confirms that it will sell insanely well. A guy like you thinking it looks "quite good" on the Switch means that the vast majority of people will be extremely pleased.

Thanks for the impressions!

Oregano

There is probably more to it overall but it is something they need to sort out. Cryengine is expected to add vulkan support this month. Unreal and Unity are both in Beta stage of support for Vulkan.

So engines are all starting to come online with the support.

I guess if Switch keeps up its success and Fifa does well it will be easier to get resources for it.

heringer

In terms of lighting and grass, do you think it's closer to PS4 version? Are the character models the same as old gen versions?

EDarkness

I feel we really need to establish that this is not actual grass but a virtually represented likeness of actual grass. Y'know. Not to veer into false advertising territory.
:)

Ha, ha! Damn, I should have made that distinction. Good job pointing that out!

Sadist

Wait, EA actually doing something decent on Nintendo hardware? I'm shocked.

Wonder how many folks would like a portable FIFA.

leburn98

I'm going to wait to see how the gameplay is before getting too excited, but assuming that it is solid the Switch version is the way to go for me. I'm not to fussed about the lack of The Journey, as I can play that at a later date on Xbox via EA Access Vault.

TheMoon

Wait, EA actually doing something decent on Nintendo hardware? I'm shocked.

Wonder how many folks would like a portable FIFA.

Well, looking at FIFA 15 still being on Vita and 3DS, they must have done well enough on portables up to that point at least.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to your videos and comparisons.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In terms of lighting and grass, do you think it's closer to PS4 version? Are the character models the same as old gen versions?
I need to go back to the older versions to say for certain but the character rendering looks more PS360 to me at a glance. The grass shader is in and looks nice at least.

EG will have a video up at some point soon but only filmed. No capture available so nothing from DF on the game.

EDarkness

I need to go back to the older versions to say for certain but the character rendering looks more PS360 to me at a glance. The grass shader is in and looks nice at least.

EG will have a video up at some point soon but only filmed. No capture available so nothing from DF on the game.

Film is fine. I think people just want to see the game in action. We'll get more detailed stuff over the next few days.

mingo

Wow, the impressions here compared to the other tread.... Thisisneogaf.gif lol. I hope this is good. Shame no Journey mode. I enjoyed that.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I think this is probably what we could expect from the NS version of the game. Looks like the PS4 version is using PBR and the grass on the PS4 version looks similar to the pic we have of the NS version.
Actually, that would be great.

hohoXD123

Yess, EA delivered. Don't care for The Journey, graphics look alright. One of the most popular local multiplayer games is a must buy on the best local multiplayer console we have had to date.

qko

This is Fifa 16 PS3 vs PS4

And this is Tom's article for DF about Fifa 17 visual upgrades over 16

Bonus: Fifa 17 PS3 vs PS4

Considering EA said they're using PBR i doubt character models look closer to last gen, and they certainly don't from that twitter pic.

The Twitter pic is supposedly in handheld mode. I'm hoping to see a docked pic at some point.

If EA couldn't get Frostbite on Switch, at least this seems like a decent effort graphically and contentwise. I'll bite come October.

-Mikey-

Sounds decent all around. Hope they'll improve on it next year.

I know I'll be getting this for the portability factor alone. I played a lot of off screen fifa on the Wii U.

Mister Wolf

Now I don't want to see any videos on youtube of you guys slamming your switch into the ground or snapping it across your knee when you lose online.

Last-gen graphics with elements of current-gen gameplay would be pretty damn sweet on the go

Top Bottom