• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Switch Info (includes Ultimate Team, missing The Journey, has PBR rendering)

Kureransu

They didn't. At least I didn't hear them mention the system at all during the whole conference.
i didn't think so, it could just be ignorance on his part.

Would Frostbite lead to any gameplay improvements given this version has the AI from 17? I have a feeling if they did port over Frostbite it either wouldn't be native 720/1080p or they'd have to cut out all the stuff which they moved FIFA to Frostbite for in the first place, like volumetric lighting anyway.

Yeah, i'm curious about that too. While the journey missing is a bummer, I'm willing to settle with ignite and missing it in favor for solid, fast performance and portability.

exfatal

This is pretty cool was expecting less. If i was into fifa i would have gotten it was only interested in story mode, but not that interested to buy. Hopefully it sells though and we get more

People, that press release pic is a Photoshopped-in-place screenshot with terrible filtering. It's hardly representative of the game, chill.

Brofield

I hope the reviews take into account that it doesn't have The Journey feature, and judge it as a complete game as is rather than comparing it to the mainline FIFA 18 games, because to do so otherwise would be completely unfair starting with the engine alone. I want EA to get more games on Switch, and I want them to really open up the 3rd party support.

I really want this to succeed. Hell, I hope I can pick it up within​ the first week and get some sweet multiplayer out of it.

There should be no reason for the game not to run at 1080p/720p even using Frostbite with most of the bells and whistles. We're not talking about Battlefield here. Still, if this game does well, I wouldn't be surprised if they port over Frostbite and try to get some late ports in, or throw in support with the next iterations of their games.

Well, we simply don't know how Frostbite would scale down to Switch yet. Switch would support all of Frostbite's visual bells and whistles, but I'm not convinced it'd be able to handle all that and maintain a smooth experience at native resolution.

Would Frostbite lead to any gameplay improvements given this version has the AI from 17? I have a feeling if they did port over Frostbite it either wouldn't be native 720/1080p or they'd have to cut out all the stuff which they moved FIFA to Frostbite for in the first place, like volumetric lighting anyway.

You're right the resolution would drop but there are ways to mitigate the loss in IQ. Volumetric lighting can be done though again at a reduced quality and likely with customization that uses FP16 for calculations. On the other hand, they'd be able to bring the full experience over. Theoretical though, DICE hasn't even been able to have time to write a Vulkan rendering branch so they are far too stretched for it to have been a possibility this year.

EDarkness

Well, we simply don't know how Frostbite would scale down to Switch yet. Switch would support all of Frostbite's visual bells and whistles, but I'm not convinced it'd be able to handle all that and maintain a smooth experience at native resolution.

That's true, but if all it was doing was showing a ball bouncing across the screen, they could easily have 1080p/720p. At some point, by adding things, compromises may have to be made, but what those are depends on what their priorities are. Do they want to keep 1080p/720p or graphical feature parity? We don't know which way they'll go with that one.

antonz

That sounds extremely problematic for EA to put all of their games on a single engine if they're having problems supporting it on everything (Even without Switch).

All about those margins. Extra people cost extra money so they get by on the skin of their nose

If they can get DICE to figure out that alien tech that is Nintendo hardware that they're having so much trouble (or lack of resources to dedicate to) with.

It's more lack of resources. They planned to have a Vulcan renderer at least as far back as 2015. It's now 2017.

MCN

Banned
If they can get DICE to figure out that alien tech that is Nintendo hardware that they're having so much trouble (or lack of resources to dedicate to) with.

The most commonly used CPU architecture in the world coupled with the most popular graphics hardware is "alien tech" now?

TheMoon

USgamer posted a quick offscreen handheld mode photo to their Twitter page:

DB_N5aJUAAAlK4C.jpg:orig

I posted that on the previous page, shroom! :)

The most commonly used CPU architecture in the world coupled with the most popular graphics hardware is "alien tech" now?

Don't look at me. lol

EDarkness

All about those margins. Extra people cost extra money so they get by on the skin of their nose

If they can see pulling in a million extra copies of FIFA or any other game they put on the system, it'll be worth putting more manpower on it to get that problem solved. That's the trick, though. If this game does well and the NS install base keeps climbing, they'll jump in...like everyone else. They'll find a way to get it done.

If they can see pulling in a million extra copies of FIFA or any other game they put on the system, it'll be worth putting more manpower on it to get that problem solved. That's the trick, though. If this game does well and the NS install base keeps climbing, they'll jump in...like everyone else. They'll find a way to get it done.

Don't believe in EA. They may have done okay here but they aint trustworthy

antonz

Indeed and as was mentioned Vulkan support is the other hang up. Frostbite was supposed to get it 2 years ago and still hasn't. This stuff gets done and Switch proves worth the effort it will get done

Which would be great for PC gamers not Win 10 since it would mean Vulkan rendering path.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's true, but if all it was doing was showing a ball bouncing across the screen, they could easily have 1080p/720p. At some point, by adding things, compromises may have to be made, but what those are depends on what their priorities are. Do they want to keep 1080p/720p or graphical feature parity? We don't know which way they'll go with that one.

Maybe you should post the USGamer image as an embedded image in the OP rather than a link since there is that big fake screenshot in the third post, maybe it will lead to fewer people jumping to false conclusions.

EDarkness

Indeed and as was mentioned Vulkan support is the other hang up. Frostbite was supposed to get it 2 years ago and still hasn't. This stuff gets done and Switch proves worth the effort it will get done

If they want to get games on the NS using Frostbite bad enough, that may be the incentive needed to push for Vulcan and the engine running on the system. I guess we'll see, but I hope this game does well, it seems like they actually put some effort into it and if it's gonna get supported like all other versions, then that's great for them and us.

Maybe you should post the USGamer image as an embedded image in the OP rather than a link since there is that big fake screenshot in the third post, maybe it will lead to fewer people jumping to false conclusions.

I would, but I don't know how. Maybe one of the Mods can do it. Or someone can give me instructions on how to get it done. I don't know how to separate it from the Twitter post.

TheMoon

I would, but I don't know how. Maybe one of the Mods can do it. Or someone can give me instructions on how to get it done. I don't know how to separate it from the Twitter post.

Nirolak added it two minutes before this post :D

all you need to do is just copy paste the link into the image tag.

TheMoon

Thanks for the tip. Heh, I don't know enough about Twitter, unfortunately. I learned something new, though.

well if twitter is what held you up, you'll need the link to the twitter image (right click, copy link location^^)...not the tweet in case it sounded that way:)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mh, now I'd like to see a video of FIFA 18 on Switch. Hopefully it'll come soon.

qko

Argh. I'd have traded FUT for a wonky version of The Journey.

Hell, if it takes purchasing a $20 DLC license for the Journey, I'd take it.

Maybe they'll get the three guys they used for NBA Jam to port it over.

Apparently they don't have a Vulkan renderer? But they do for Ignite... Sometimes EA makes no sense, but if this sells (And this looks like a good product anyhow, on a succesful console) they will have to port Frostbite over in order to update the Switch version.
Frostbite runs on fairly weak PCs, so it shouldn't really be a problem.

heringer

I don't mind too much about The Journey, so I would be willing to buy this is:

1. It's good
2. No PES for Switch

Konami did decent PES games for the PSP, so there's hope.

Kovacs

FIFA's actually the perfect representation of how I see a lot of big multi-platforms on the Switch going.

It's always going to be that trade-off between full bells-and-whistles and losing something - models, IQ, whatever to make it portable.

Provided the end result isn't too compromised, I'll be happy to to make that compromise to take something like FIFA on the go. In this particular case if the compromise is the story mode then I'm happy with that. If it was a phoned in old-gen dump with new kits then I wouldn't buy it.

heringer

Considering the FOX engine runs amazing on a potato, I'm eager to see if Konami will bring PES to Switch as well

That didn't stop Konami from releasing a PC version of PES running on the old engine, though.

Thankfully they will update it this year to FOX engine.

TheMoon

I just noticed that this version has actual grass. That's cool. Now I REALLY want to see some footage of the game.

I feel we really need to establish that this is not actual grass but a virtually represented likeness of actual grass. Y'know. Not to veer into false advertising territory.
:)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played it briefly myself. A step down from the other version but it looks quite good on the Switch itself. 60fps during gameplay and 30 during cuts and other angles (as usual I suppose). Character models are decent but look kinda dated. I think folks will be generally happy with the visual aspect at least.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Not bad, but it is probably a game I will get on PS4 as most of my friends will get it on that. Maybe EA expects this too, but it seems like it will be a decent port at least.

antonz

It might be about margins, but if they're 2 years behind on their tech (or a significant portion of it), they're doing something very wrong.

There is probably more to it overall but it is something they need to sort out. Cryengine is expected to add vulkan support this month. Unreal and Unity are both in Beta stage of support for Vulkan.

So engines are all starting to come online with the support.

Top Bottom