• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighters Megamix is 20 years old today [gif warning]

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Vodqcc7.gif

Happy 20th anniversary to SEGA's first and only crossover fighter (DBFC doesn't really count, does it?)

Pitting Virtua Fighter characters against Fighting Vipers characters probably isn't as exciting today as it was in 1996, but the other guest characters in this Saturn exclusive have afforded it a lot of attention over the last decade or so. And it's still pretty cheap, unlike most Saturn cult classics!

One thing I love about the game is that the Virtua Fighter cast all has their VF3 movelists, and since there's a command training mode, I can mess around and practice combos. Against a car.

Were you playing Fighters Megamix 20 years ago?
Will you be playing it today?

~gifs~

1Gt53Qd.gif
9VRUqS1.gif

bMnYePe.gif
uVFCdAd.gif
NagaYiC.gif
wP0E89b.gif

tumblr_np3atlCjaL1slig2vo1_400.gif
tumblr_nk20umJmFn1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_njhaprMHuQ1slig2vo1_400.gif
tumblr_njhacgPdLo1slig2vo1_500.gif

Karak

Still play it and Last Bronx as well as Fighting Vipers often.A bit sad that I don't see a chance of a new VF again. But man those were the days

Stencil

Kumachan was the best name they could come up with? That's essentially a name like "Beary" in english, yeah?

edit: wait Beary is pretty good...

Ogawa-san

One of the favorite joke games playing local multi back then. Beating people up with a goddamn Daytona car or a giant bear that wasn't even animated, good times.

Megamix was Smash Bros before Smash bros. Or am I completely wrong?
More like VF + Mugen, before Mugen was even a thing.

Platy

I always found weird that this game weirdness is always the Daytona car ...But one of the last secret characters to unlock is the AM2 logo palm tree.

A palm tree always looked weirder than a car to me, but I guess not a lot of people unlocked it =P

In the inter company crossover sense yes, WAAAYY before. But in the simplyfied for noobs of fighting games, Pocket Fighter would be released in arcades a few months later.

December 1996 - Fighters Megamix
September 1997 - Pocket Fighter
January 1999 - Super Smash Bros

oneida

In the inter company crossover sense yes, WAAAYY before. But in the simplyfied for noobs of fighting games, Pocket Fighter would be released in arcades a few months later.

December 1996 - Fighters Megamix
September 1997 - Pocket Fighter
January 1999 - Super Smash Bros

King of Fighters '94 was August 94 tho
/edit/ i guess not really simplified

Izuna

Banned
Let me tell you a story.

I was once given 50p to get an ice-cream from McDonalds... But my big brother was like "gimme the 50p and I can get a really good game!"

He came back with this.

Now that I'm an adult, I think I was lied to.

oneida

Let me tell you a story.

I was once given 50p to get an ice-cream from McDonalds... But my big brother was like "gimme the 50p and I can get a really good game!"

He came back with this.

Now that I'm an adult, I think I was lied to.

look man I can do VF3 combos against whatever the hell this thing is, that spells good game to me.

uVFCdAd.gif

Having never owned a Saturn, me and my brother used to play the shit at the Sears Funtronics section when my parents would go shopping. Always wished it got a sequel.

Izuna

Banned
look man I can do VF3 combos against whatever the hell this thing is, that spells good game to me.

uVFCdAd.gif

Best part of the game were the command list/combo trials (if you can call them trials). I had a blast trying to do them.

I'd buy the crap out of this if it somehow hit Xbone though

Sciz

It's specifically a crossover for AM2-developed games, and is missing representation from any other studio within Sega. Still really cool, but it's not a grand celebration of the entire company the way Smash is.

It's specifically a crossover for AM2-developed games, and is missing representation from any other studio within Sega. Still really cool, but it's not a grand celebration of the entire company the way Smash is.
Well to me it was the game that made me jealous of the other systems. N64 just had KI Gold and that was a lousy port (To me)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I had always wished the gameplay leaned more towards VF than Fighting Vipers, but a hugely entertaining game either way. Was it this or Fighting Vipers where North America never got Pepsiman?

Ban Puncher

I had always wished the gameplay leaned more towards VF than Fighting Vipers, but a hugely entertaining game either way. Was it this or Fighting Vipers where North America never got Pepsiman?

The Japanese release of Fighting Vipers on Saturn is the one with Pepsiman. Pepsiman was sadly absent from all versions of Fighters Megamix.

fightingvipers-pepsiman2.png

gelf

Still my favourite crossover fighter if you can call it that. I so dearly want a full Sega Fighters Megamix, based on VF/Fighting Vipers gameplay but not just limited to AM2 characters.

lohankain

I have played this game a lot in my childhood. The musics are superb and the idea to win courses to unlock new characters is great.

Until today i play this game on my Sega Saturn, waiting for a new version ._.

Laws00

Of course I was playing this game. At the time I didn't own a sega Saturn until maybe 9 or 10 years later and the game until I think 2 years ago.

My friend rented it from block buster and I can remember having having either a sega visions magazine, game informer or was it tips and tricks magazine,helping him play as the oddly unlocked characters you could unlock like the sega am 2 palm tree where you had to reset the system 50 or 100 times

My sucked at the game but my friend always gave me that stupid night 3D controller for every game.....

AsianOni

Damm, how I loved this game. I used to beat it and unlock everything in one go.... then do the same thing day after day..

Piccoro

Great game, played it when it was released on the Saturn.
This game didn't have an Arcade port, right?

And speaking of Fighting Vipers, I have the HD version on PS3, wanna play it sometime, Oneida?

retroman

I fondly remember purchasing an issue of Computer & Video Games and discovering I won this game in a competition :)

Had lots of fun with it. A sequel or remaster would make me very happy!

Not counting on it, though...

Khaz

I spent so much time in Fighting Vipers that I had to get FM day one.

I got stuck on I think the Boss Course, against Dural who shamed me for hours. I couldn't unlock everything because of that.

Those were the days!. One of my Saturn top 5. That VF3 moves! I always played VF mode because the juggling feels better.

I'd love to see Sega trying something like this again. So many series, and if it's doing right, it could rise brand awareness and gods knows Sega needs that.

Also RIP my cellphone data plan :(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Never played it, despite being a Saturn owner at the time. I wasn't (still aren't) a fan of Fighting Vipers and the extra characters seemed like weak attempts to pad the roster. At the time I felt it looked poor visually, because it was pushing Saturn harder.

I appreciate it for what it was, and a sequel would be more then welcome. So long as they mined their rich history for a better lineup.

Never played it, despite being a Saturn owner at the time. I wasn't (still aren't) a fan of Fighting Vipers and the extra characters seemed like weak attempts to pad the roster. At the time I felt it looked poor visually, because it was pushing Saturn harder.

I appreciate it for what it was, and a sequel would be more then welcome. So long as they mined their rich history for a better lineup.

I never understand why they use FV engine and no the superb VF2 engine.

Bydobob

Thanks for the memories OP, I forgot about some of those characters! This was great laugh with a group of friends around, but underneath the silliness was a genuinely good fighter. As one of the only Saturn owners among my group though it usually ended up getting swapped out for Tekken 2. Glad to see it getting some love here.

Top Bottom