• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting game background gifs.

You can feel the squalor.

ozmXCnT.png

Mini Cooper. Sherlock Holmes pub. Red telephone box. 70's punks. Big Ben. WHY, IT'S LAHNDHN GUV', as interpreted by a man who ate a guide book and shat out it's contents.

Please ignore my grumbling, the vast majority of these are astonishing in their splendour.

khaaan

Could people start putting the name of the game along with the posts?

I understand that many of them are either from the same game, same series or same company but it'd be nice to know either way. Those are some beautiful backgrounds.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Mini Cooper. Sherlock Holmes pub. Red telephone box. 70's punks. Big Ben. WHY, IT'S LAHNDHN GUV', as interpreted by a man who ate a guide book and shat out it's contents.

Please ignore my grumbling, the vast majority of these are astonishing in their splendour.

I don't think it's anything to grumble about, I think it's kind of hilarious that the devs just went for EVERY STEREOTYPE POSSIBLE.

jaypah

Yeah, SNK were goddamn KINGS at making incredibly detailed backgrounds and nice animation. You see it in Metal Slug, too.

BTW, this thread reminded me of someone's remake of a Samurai Showdown stage in UE3. It looks PHENOMENAL.

Hot damn! Now I want to play shit that doesn't exist. I both love and hate you for posting that Espada :D :'(

Cheeto

I remember this game having pretty awesome backgrounds for a genesis game. Can't find examples here at work though :(
EternalChampionsBox.jpg

danmaku

I don't think it's anything to grumble about, I think it's kind of hilarious that the devs just went for EVERY STEREOTYPE POSSIBLE.

Don't forget that those games were made with Japanese kids and teenagers in mind. With Asian sceneries they could afford to be a little more sophisticated (see: Last Blade backgrounds), but with Western countries they went for easily understandable stereotypes.

Beautiful. Just beautiful!

The London stages are disappointing. Such a wealth of history and these are such boring scenes. Why not set a stage in one of the Victorian rookeries? Fighting in the Old Nichol in a sea of severe poverty, depravity, drunks passed out, a corpse in a corner, filthy naked kids shitting in the street, 60 year old prostitutes with no teeth who have soiled themselves, etc.

Tizoc

The London stages are disappointing. Such a wealth of history and these are such boring scenes. Why not set a stage in one of the Victorian rookeries? Fighting in the Old Nichol in a sea of severe poverty, depravity, drunks passed out, a corpse in a corner, filthy naked kids shitting in the street, 60 year old prostitutes with no teeth who have soiled themselves, etc.

Well the KoF 13 London stage has double decker busses...

Chev

To be fair all the stages are stereotyping like that, you just don't notice it when it's not where you live.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Whenever I try to 'download' the album, it only offers me a 647kb zip file with 6 images. What's up?

sibarraz

Banned
I always found immpresivewhat SNK was capable on an hardware from 1990 like the neo geo

I love to imagine what kind of backgrounds they could have done with better hardware like the cps3, or even the cps2

BadWolf

I always found immpresivewhat SNK was capable on an hardware from 1990 like the neo geo

I love to imagine what kind of backgrounds they could have done with better hardware like the cps3, or even the cps2

KOFXIII says hi.

KOFXII's were really good as well (Russian stage, stage with the whales in the back etc).

Xux

It's pretty upsetting how beautiful these are and how "forgotten" and overlooked these are. It'd be neat to see a KOF XI UM or whatever that had all of the previous KOF stages (that were close enough in style, I guess).

sibarraz

Banned
KOFXIII says hi.

KOFXII's were really good as well (Russian stage, stage with the whales in the back etc).

I don't know, my problem with XII and XIII is that the BG are gorgeous, but at the same time are too anime/exagerated

In the 90's their bg were more realistic while the sprites completed the anime criteria

That's why I want to see their nineties work with more advanced hardware from the era

DekuLink

Is there a way that I can get the first gif in a higher resolution? I'd like to use that as a background on my phone.

What resolution? The pixels would look a little different in higher resolution if you want sharp pixels and a resolution that's not 2x, 3x, 4x etc. the resolution.

Tizoc

Yo seriously people, anyone know where to get GIFs of the Darkstalkers stages?
513.png

Pyron's stage in Darkstalkers' Revenge had some impressive animation.

KZwLV4q.gif

what is this from?

thx.

Pretty sure it's from Art of Fighting 2 or 1.

83D4E32FC.gif

The lighting blows my mind to this day.

Wow I never noticed the lighting in Freeman's stage that much but the way it's animated in this GIF is amazing.
Garou MotW @ 60 FPS *drools*

EDIT:
So here's a little funny one for you
512.png

xmen-cota-screenshot.gif

Tizoc

Note that the one from Garou is more of a Korean neighborhood since that game takes place in the US.

cj_iwakura

I guess BlazBlue's are considered 3D? I adore some of the little touches like the characters feeding birds, the one girl with the windmill in Bang's background, etc.

roningai.jpg

Top Bottom