• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting game background gifs.

Look at the Atmosphere on this one.

VoBp08Q.gif

Great lighting

NTuPG.gif

I found this one, it's from Capcom. It's pretty long and it doesn't seemed to be animated. But it looks cool

MarvelSuperHeroesVsStreetFighter-Manhattan.png

Edit:

This one's huge :O

Mory Dunz

Has anybody else played M.U.G.E.N? (It's not illegal, is it?)

It was always really cool to have the best backgrounds from all these different 2D fighting games in one place. I feel like I've seen a good amount of these there. And the characters too for that matter.

Is it strange that I can name the origin of pretty much every single stage posted here? I was actually gonna quote all of the people that asked what certain stages were and answer them, but I see others already answered. Hah.

I sure do love me some 2D fighters. I've got tons of them. This thread really put me in the mood to play some of my SNK games. I wish they'd announce something new already, besides just having Terry and Benimaru guest star in someone else's game. Heh.

Anyway, subscribed to thread. Looking forward to going into super nostalgia mode with more stage gifs. :)

jaxword

This is an odd restaurant.

1. It has apparently 2 tables, though I guess the server boy has the other tables off camera?

2. It appears to be built out of a dead dragon. Not sure a huge corpse is the most appealing for the tastebuds.

Elixist

Nice thread peeps, loved the old one too. Its too bad, we dont really see an evolution of this, Skull Girls is ok and the new KOFs are pretty good too i guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KOF99 is best KOF.

In stages? Yeah. In gameplay? Not really.

All this thread's doing is making me long for a game company that does complete sprite-art-work for a fighting game again. Not Skullgirls. I'm talking pixel-y art like these stages here. Amount of work to put into it at HD resolutions would be too much but the fact these haven't aged poorly just shows the effort would be worth it. Too bad the money isn't in it. :(

Nice thread peeps, loved the old one too. Its too bad, we dont really see an evolution of this, Skull Girls is ok and the new KOFs are pretty good too i guess.
Skullgirls went with something more "painterly". Seems like it'll be a little trickier to introduce some of the beautiful motion and effects taking place in these SNK stages. When we talk detail it's a whole other level, though. SG stages have some beautiful linework and details up close.

Noogy

I always love 2D fighter backgrounds. However they always make me annoyed at the current indie fascination with pixel art, since you rarely see anything of this caliber. It's like people forgot you need to be a good artist first, pixel artist second.

Zissou

I always love 2D fighter backgrounds. However they always make me annoyed at the current indie fascination with pixel art, since you rarely see anything of this caliber. It's like people forgot you need to be a good artist first, pixel artist second.

Yeah, there's defintely a big difference between pixel art and 'I am not an artist so I will attempt to hide that fact by doing pixel art'

It's pretty upsetting how beautiful these are and how "forgotten" and overlooked these are. It'd be neat to see a KOF XI UM or whatever that had all of the previous KOF stages (that were close enough in style, I guess).

this so much, and I'm surprised no one else is clamoring for a "XI:UM". One thing that I noticed immediately about XI was that its background art style was pretty consistent with Neo Geo era SNK's style and most if not all of the backgrounds were completely 2D. Although there was a huge contrast in bg and character sprite resolutions (didn't really bother me, in fact I leave the filters off) the overall look of the game was classic barring the cheap character portraits, lifebars, etc. which to be honest was the case with most of SNKP's stuff after a while. IMO the real shame is the absence of the classic backgrounds and artistic direction that could have gone behind XI, NGBC, SamSho Tenka, and even the KoF remakes in 94R, 98UM, and 02UM.

today they've made a bold step back to the glory days in XIII, but when it comes to backgrounds at least I hope they shift to the old style of realistic detail and atmospheric coherence going forward.

Ryuhza

Banned
I might get some flak for this, but it really annoys me that these imaginative and beautiful backgrounds and areas are relegated to something as restrictive as fighting games. I'd give my left nutter butter to see some of these beautiful environments realized in an explorable 3D realm. They are much more beautiful than most of what you see these days, just waiting to be explored.

Top Bottom