• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting game background gifs.

AC!D

I would said that but they tend to forget the Art part of Pixel Art.

I wish Capcom stuff where easier to find animated. This stage is crumbling down because of the fighting and the guy is yelling at you, is pretty fun to see in the game.

cvs-construction.png

Woah, is that the shop from Street Fighter Alpha on the left hand side of that screenshot?

Tizoc

@Platy-
Thank you!
Tc88j3L.gif

Fantastic animation and the stuff put in there really manage to bring out how much of a Space God-like entity Pyron is.

OACf5cL.gif

gkKviRB.gif

Always loved how great the water animates in a lot of their stages.

First image from AoF3 I believe.

Needs more Darkstalkers.

I know man! ...and not just the 3rd game, the first 2 had some neat backgrounds.

First one is from Guilty Gear XX (says so in the filename), second one I'm not sure. Filename is HNK, Hokuto no Ken(?), I don't know of any Fist of the North Star 2D fighters off of the top of my head though.

2nd one is Toki's stage from HnK.

Woah, is that the shop from Street Fighter Alpha on the left hand side of that screenshot?

Yup it is the same shop.

Right song (Tears), wrong version.

This is the one you want here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7ginT44cQ

Loved KOF 99's look and music.

Heh I was at worked when I linked them and just picked the first links I found on YT ^_^;

edit: also this one from Butt's stage totally screams "You Came to the Wrong Neighborhood ,muthaf*er1"

ob_67928bb196276a31107db34959b6531b_garoubuttbg.gif

Kyokugen Bear is best bear.

Beckx

I'm sad pixel art is probably gonna be lost next gen. RI.P good looking 2d games.

People have been saying this since PSX and it still doesn't happen.

CAVE's games this gen are pixel art treasures.

@Platy-
Thank you!
Tc88j3L.gif

Fantastic animation and the stuff put in there really manage to bring out how much of a Space God-like entity Pyron is.

Never noticed before what happens if you stare at those stairs too long.

(Don't stare at the stairs too long.)

Jezan

SNK background have so many details, you wish you could explore more, but your imagination just fills up the rest.

Capcom backgrounds lack something, but they are also impressive.

I can't find a gif or video of X-Men:COTA Danger Room, the details there are awesome. If while fighting you jump, laser will shoot at where you were standing (as if you just evaded the hit), if you do a high jump spikes appear, and if you run a big colum (iirc) drops from above, all of this to simulate random dangers you have to avoid.

Those Battle Colosseum ones are jawdropping, especially the gray-toned ones. It's just a few shades, and yet its full of detail and far from boring.

SNK background have so many details, you wish you could explore more, but your imagination just fills up the rest.

Capcom backgrounds lack something, but they are also impressive.

I can't find a gif or video of X-Men:COTA Danger Room, the details there are awesome. If while fighting you jump, laser will shoot at where you were standing (as if you just evaded the hit), if you do a high jump spikes appear, and if you run a big colum (iirc) drops from above, all of this to simulate random dangers you have to avoid.

The Spiral stage was incredible, too. I admit, half the reason I played that game was to see backgrounds.

Dereck

From more recent fighting games I have been playing. And ones I can appreciate a bit more since I don't have much of a connection to snk fighters.

France stage from TTT2

And the sentinel/ metro city stage from umvc3 ,

sadly I cannot find gifs
There should be a stage viewer in 3D fighting games.

jaxword

I would said that but they tend to forget the Art part of Pixel Art.

I wish Capcom stuff where easier to find animated. This stage is crumbling down because of the fighting and the guy is yelling at you, is pretty fun to see in the game.

cvs-construction.png

What game is that from?

jaxword

I like how a lot of these stages have people just sitting around in the background, not even watching.

"Huh, people brawling in the street? Again? Boring, back to washing my clothes."

GhaleonQ

I wish more fighting games came out per year so that we didn't have the post the same ones. They remain beautiful, though! S.N.K., yum.

How about A.D.K.'s Ninja Masters: Scroll Of The Supreme Ninpo?

Nmunzen1bg.gif

They didn't have the cash for awesome stuff, but that one has a regal sort of beauty and symmetry.

I wish more fighting games came out per year so that we didn't have the post the same ones. They remain beautiful, though! S.N.K., yum.

How about A.D.K.'s Ninja Masters: Scroll Of The Supreme Ninpo?

Nmunzen1bg.gif

They didn't have the cash for awesome stuff, but that one has a regal sort of beauty and symmetry.

Wow this one has a very nice dept to it.

jerry1594

The SNK Wikia has a bunch of these stages archived for viewing.

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Stages

Ah, took me a while as I lost the link, but here is the ULTIMATE source of Arcade stage rips (both SNK and Capcom)

http://www.emugif.com/index/column.htm###

You don't know how much I love you for this<3

Sorry about the necrobump, I just couldn't resist.

I know Third Strike gets unfavorably compared to NG and SI but a lot of the stages have an amazing aesthetic. The fantastic music gives them a very particular character too.
These are beautiful.

2d4me

Neo Member
All these backgrounds are simply amazing, you can just see the passion poured into them. The SNK and Capcom of old will always be the gold standard.

Here are some of my faves from the Alpha series:

z3_honda.gif

z3_cammy.gif

z3_gen.gif

z1_nash.gif

Raitaro

Nice to see this thread pop up again!

I'll try to think of a few to add myself later, but I'll probably run into the same problem as last time while doing so: fighting game backgrounds / stages are not really easy to find in screenshot or gif from online in my experience. That includes concept art as well. A shame, because they deserve to be studied as examples of excellent 2D pixel art in many cases imo.

If anyone has a list of good websites to find stage art etc., please don't hesitate to share them.

FlashbladeNeo

Neo Member
Cant remember which capcom snk fighting game but does anyone have (or remember) the backround/gif that takes place during a traffic jam.

I think a truck (on fire) was blocking the road.

Top Bottom