• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson on his Suge Knight shit

"To all you players out there, who don't want be in the arcade where the arcade owner...all up in the videos, all up in the interviews, instigatin'...then come to Super Arcade!"

Watson on his Suge Knight shit

"To all you players out there, who don't want be in the arcade where the arcade owner...all up in the videos, all up in the interviews, instigatin'...then come to Super Arcade!"

damn it's almost like I heard that complete joke a few hours ago by somebody in the shadow realm

Shun

If you don't have any issues with the Hayabusa/Kuro parts, then you should be fine. The only real issue I have with the HRAP 4 is the same issue I have with most of Hori's sticks -- where they put the Start button is absolutely stupid.

For PS3/PS4 sticks like the HRAP and the TE2, if I'm playing on PS3 is there any reason to use PS3 mode or can I just keep it in PS4 mode then entire time?

I always have a dual shock on hand ready.

Tripon

For PS3/PS4 sticks like the HRAP and the TE2, if I'm playing on PS3 is there any reason to use PS3 mode or can I just keep it in PS4 mode then entire time?

Some games only have ps3 compability, which forces you to switch. I got a Hori FC commander 4 and I have to play KOF 13 on PS3 mode, even on PC.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What are the ways people discourage their opponent backdashing on wake-up in xrd to avoid oki?
7Ewk6XO.png

Neither of you are helping -_-

Meaty attacks.

Like Ky, Doing Charged Stun Edge before they get up is guaranteed to put them in block stun since they can't do anything else. If they can DP you can just wait for the first hit to connect then follow up before the last 2 hits go through. Even better if you open up with the grinder enhanced version.

Essay

What are the ways people discourage their opponent backdashing on wake-up in xrd to avoid oki?

Here's a few fairly universal, non-FB-oki approaches:

• Meaty gattling OS timings, where, if the opener whiffs, it recovers fast enough into another timed button that will tag the backdash. A very simple example of this is meatying with Sin's dash 2K-2H link, where, if the sliding 2K whiffs, the 2H will still come out to catch slow backdashes for huge damage. This works because it's already a late-cancel gattling, timed to the recovery of 2K. Another example would be my old go-to OS against Potemkin backdash as I-No: hoverdash S > P+K, which confirms j.S-K on hit, and land > 5P if the j.S whiffs, at a timing that will meaty the backdash's recovery frames.
  • Aborting your safejump setups with last-second airdash > big jump-normal opener. You must've seen a Sol chase a backdash with late-airdash j.D and convert into a dustloop by now!
  • Meaties w/ YRC OS (25%-49% tension only). Green means go! OS that shit with everything.
Then there's your Faust-specific option: Let 'em backdash. You're a grown man and neutral god who doesn't need no oki. ;D

Papstr

Neo Member

Personally with Sol I just OS a Fafnir when I go for a safejump or whatever. Depending on the character it'll catch a backdash and hit, or it gets blocked, which still leaves me plus so it's still favorable.

Essay and Rhapsody have some good universal suggestions though.

Zissou

Meaty attacks.

Like Ky, Doing Charged Stun Edge before they get up is guaranteed to put them in block stun since they can't do anything else. If they can DP you can just wait for the first hit to connect then follow up before the last 2 hits go through. Even better if you open up with the grinder enhanced version.

You can still backdash even perfectly-timed meaties. Of course, something like charged stun edge will still be active when their backdash recovers, but I think most characters such a powerful/universal anti-backdash tool :p

The universal option to beat backdashes is supposed to be 6H.

Works for some characters and against some backdashes. I main Faust and this can work for him, where May's doesn't have such crazy range. Just going for raw 6HS requires making a hard read though, no?

Here's a few fairly universal, non-FB-oki approaches:

• Meaty gattling OS timings, where, if the opener whiffs, it recovers fast enough into another timed button that will tag the backdash. A very simple example of this is meatying with Sin's dash 2K-2H link, where, if the sliding 2K whiffs, the 2H will still come out to catch slow backdashes for huge damage. This works because it's already a late-cancel gattling, timed to the recovery of 2K. Another example would be my old go-to OS against Potemkin backdash as I-No: hoverdash S > P+K, which confirms j.S-K on hit, and land > 5P if the j.S whiffs, at a timing that will meaty the backdash's recovery frames.
  • Aborting your safejump setups with last-second airdash > big jump-normal opener. You must've seen a Sol chase a backdash with late-airdash j.D and convert into a dustloop by now!
  • Meaties w/ YRC OS (25%-49% tension only). Green means go! OS that shit with everything.
Then there's your Faust-specific option: Let 'em backdash. You're a grown man and neutral god who doesn't need no oki. ;D

This is the kind of advice I was hoping for- thank you. I'd been trying to figure out OS stuff already, but I hadn't thought about using YRC OS or safe jump -> late airdash, so I'll give those a shot! I've been playing a lot of May lately and I've been struggling to flex her scary oki options on people who backdash on wake-up.

Rhapsody

Banned
Real answer, Zissou, I don't worry about reversal backdash much when I'm Faust (or when I'm any character for that matter).
If you're losing to non reversal backdash, you definitely have a problem with oki that you can fix.

If the character backdashes and escape, I won't be too concerned about it unless it happens over and over again.

Like, there are ways to shut them down if you're not a character with some of the really good oki setups. But at the same time, you shouldn't fret over it too much.

4r5

I'm looking at this one twitter account. Seems like it's posting Jam's frame data.
https://twitter.com/Simapan11

If this is accurate, 5K's +2 in this lol

Oh, so she can link back in to 5K on crouch hit, then. So she atleast has 5K x2 as a frametrap, or a link if it hits. People just want AC Jam's ez-mode frame traps.

There's one thing I just don't get here from a mechanical standpoint. Why not allow you to cancel the parry into anything if you're going to let players FD out of the parry and then do something? It just seems like an execution barrier that's there for reasons. If it's a speed of response issue, they could then enforce some kind of minimum delay on the attack after a parry then.

There might be a reason in the development history for Jam. Maybe at one point Jam had canned followups on each button. So FDC would be the only way to get non-canned followups.

Real answer though, Guilty Gear is in the execution-is-a-part-of-fighting-games camp. It's cool though. It doesn't keep you from using her parry, or getting a reward off it, but if you want something more you gonna need to put in a little more.

Faust actually has a brutally tight oki game. A perfect meaty 2K followed by a 5P will punish all backdashes, except Millia's. You can/will need to do a dashing 5P, depending on distance. For Millia, you sub out 5P for a throw. 2K also beats or clashes with a ton of reversals, so no need to be shy.

edit: If Faust is in Hellfire, characters with backdashes greater than 15f, Faust gets to straightup punish with his Instant Kill. Man, I need to look in to this new IK system.

Zissou

As I mentioned, I don’t have too many issues with backdash escaping my oki when playing as Faust (outside of characters with amazing backdashes like Pot). It’s something I’ve only encountered a lot since subbing May (though my opinion may be skewed since I play against my friend’s Slayer all the time and his backdash is really good for getting out of oki situations). With May especially- a big part of why she is viable is her strong oki, so people negating one of her main strengths with backdash (even though reversal backdash isn’t THAT easy, esp. if I YRC) is annoying.

4r5

You can't punish Slayer's backdash. You can only punish what he'll try to do out of his backdash. Slayer's backdash is kinda a mixup. He's funny like that.

You can steal his reversal frame if you time a YRC correctly on his wakeup.

Edit: As May, there should be a whole theme park on top of him. So what ever he does out of his backdash shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Zissou

I thought that YRC just made revesal timing more difficult but it was never truly impossible. You’re saying if timed properly YRCing on their wake-up makes your set-up truly reversal-proof?

4r5

In my experience, I have not yet done a reversal, when someone times the YRC timefreeze on my wakeup frame. My running theory is that YRC timefreeze clears the input buffer, and then offers no buffer on the way out.

So in situations with a YRC + Meaty Projectile:
-You're buffering your reversal.
-You're reversal frame comes up, timefreeze occurs. Timefreeze clears the buffer and your reversal with it. Timefreeze does not let you enter in any new input. Projectile is hitting you during the timefreeze.
-Coming out of timefreeze, you're either blocking or getting hit, depending on what you were doing at timefreeze.

/theory

When people do it to me, I haven't gotten a reversal. When I do it to other people, they haven't gotten a reversal. It's somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible.

When Johnny comes out, I'll put more time in to figuring this out. If YRC really does kill reversals, then Mist + Coin YRC is a game changer for Johnny. Shit, might have to stop playing Johnny.

Whether it steals their reversal or not, for you, playing May, you're YRCing their wakeup anyways, to setup your theme park.

pixelish

objectively world's best rolento and alleged world's best gief according to his twitter description will be playing each other tomorrow

ねも ‏@GOOD_NEMO 2m
明日の13時から@Snake_Eyez_ がブラックアイに遊びに来るので対戦します

http://twitch.tv/gostunv

Will have a session with snakeeyez tmrw! Please tune in

The only reason would be if the stick doesn't work. But unless forced to, PS4 mode all day. Gives you less input lag on PS3

.la1n

Little late but on this but I really wish Watson would take the higher road sometimes. Small comments like the dig at Valle make it really difficult for people to root for you and by extension help support your business. Let's face it, in today's economy an arcade can't stand to make any enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom