• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I miss the days when fighting games were the most technical advanced games of it's time.

DOA3 was like the best looking game for it's time, Soul Calibur on DC, VF3 on arcade, etc. And when you saw them for the first time you were in awe. You don't really get that same feeling anymore.
Sega needs to come out with VF6 and have it using PC specs that are well beyond what we have now.

Nuu

Banned
Define "healthy" in an era without netplay and majors every weekend.
Releasing games with enough production put into them that they would feel out of place in 1994 esque hardware. Most 2D fighting games games actually being released in the West.

notworksafe

It's a bummer cause driving games are still the same showpiece titles they used to be. Forza looks gorgeous on X1X. Tekken is real attractive on PC but it's also two years old.

Skilletor

Releasing games with enough production put into them that they would feel out of place in 1994 esque hardware. Most 2D fighting games games actually being released in the West.

By that logic the only "healthy" KoF we've had since 96 is KoF13.

NEO0MJ

Part of the problem is that fighting games don't get as much budget as they used to in comparison to other genres, and they're (almost always) required to be 60 FPS with no dips on consoles.

Defining genre health by production values alone seems odd to me. We have more options now than at any time in the past, and those options are all getting continual support. Online is better than at any time in the past, and the tournament scene is healthy. It's a good time to like fighting games.

I finally got to play the MvCi demo. I thought wavedashes felt fine for the characters I did it with. Air dashes felt normal. I think the graphics are fine, and the issues are generally with animation. The facial expressions during cutscenes were off-putting.

I only plan on playing the demo once since it had zero characters I am interested in. The story mode lines were SFV-esque in quality. I love Thor's new hammer throw. I like this Chris more than the last. Some inputs felt off, and hopefully they can fix that.

Why isn't anyone talking about the addition of short hops to Marvel? That's a huge boon for jumpers like Captain America. He felt much better to play than before just because of this.

kirblar

6.1 frames of lag in the MVCI demo.

Please please please raise a stink over this in hopes it doesn't make it into the final product.
This is about what you have for SFV and TTT2, no?
Defining genre health by production values alone seems odd to me. We have more options now than at any time in the past, and those options are all getting continual support. Online is better than at any time in the past, and the tournament scene is healthy. It's a good time to like fighting games.

I finally got to play the MvCi demo. I thought wavedashes felt fine for the characters I did it with. Air dashes felt normal. I think the graphics are fine, and the issues are generally with animation. The facial expressions during cutscenes were off-putting.

I only plan on playing the demo once since it had zero characters I am interested in. The story mode lines were SFV-esque in quality. I love Thor's new hammer throw. I like this Chris more than the last. Some inputs felt off, and hopefully they can fix that.

Why isn't anyone talking about the addition of short hops to Marvel? That's a huge boon for jumpers like Captain America. He felt much better to play than before just because of this.
Cause no one realized they were in the game till Combo told us.

shaowebb

This is about what you have for SFV and TTT2, no?

I dont play SFV. Gave it a chance but just...ugh no. TTT2 was one I never got. I dont do 8 way run games much or 3d stuff too much at all. Most I did was scum around Tekken 4 yeaaaaaars ago in a local arcade and play a lot of DOA3 when OG Xbox came out because Brad Wong is fucking amazing and I was still big on martial arts forms at the time. No clue how TTT2 would feel to me. I play a lot of arcade, old school, and anime fighters so Im kinda still on last gen lower input lag feels when I game.

Really worried about this because its obviously not done yet on some intensive stuff like lighting and how it works with more maps that aren't in place yet on models. That can cause the 6.1 frame input lag to increase here so I'm hoping that the demo isn't with them optimizing things fully on getting the input lag as low as possible. Fingers crossed here but Im worried now.

XagRXxX.png

Pls rerelease this stick when DBF comes out

strike while the iron is hot

just buy that Brook PS2 -> PS4 adapter and you're all set

kirblar

I dont play SFV. Gave it a chance but just...ugh no. TTT2 was one I never got. I dont do 8 way run games much or 3d stuff too much at all. Most I did was scum around Tekken 4 yeaaaaaars ago in a local arcade and play a lot of DOA3 when OG Xbox came out because Brad Wong is fucking amazing and I was still big on martial arts forms at the time. No clue how TTT2 would feel to me. I play a lot of arcade, old school, and anime fighters so Im kinda still on last gen lower input lag feels when I game.

Really worried about this because its obviously not done yet on some intensive stuff like lighting and how it works with more maps that aren't in place yet on models. That can cause the 6.1 frame input lag to increase here so I'm hoping that the demo isn't with them optimizing things fully on getting the input lag as low as possible. Fingers crossed here but Im worried now.
Annoying load times and ~6 frames of lag seem standard with UE4 on PS4, for better or for worse.

Dahbomb

The VS demo for MvCI loads matches pretty fast, like 5 second load time from selecting load out to match.

I think it's because the stage is chosen first and loading in the background while the characters/stones are being selected.

jett

D-Member
The VS demo for MvCI loads matches pretty fast, like 5 second load time from selecting load out to match.

I think it's because the stage is chosen first and loading in the background while the characters/stones are being selected.

I was pretty impressed when I saw that. At least Capcpom is being smarter about data management with this game.

Superjump and hold (tap?) down immediately. It goes about half the height of a normal jump. For Captain America, it's the perfect height for him to approach with j.HP.

That's interesting. That's one method for doing a hyper/super hop in KOF. I figured that hopping in Marvel would just be tapping up. Good to hear short hops are in Marvel: Infinite, though--it would give certain characters a great offensive approach.

Sayad

Guess I'll post this here too:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LDRHW2BA3t67z9OKidMH4ZZLYbXXa2A

Playlist of 16 matches between Justin Wong and F.Champ at CEO 2017 if anyone want to watch.
Watching this, MvCI has cross up protection. If you cross up someone for the first few frames they can block your cross up without changing the block direction(Xrd has this too and I think BB), this is huge for incoming mix-up in Marvel games!

Happens here:
https://youtu.be/mhjU3SsESgw?t=1m26s

You can see FChamp's Ultron's blocking JWang's cross up, when JWong ask him how did he block that he says he was just "blocking the same side it didn't cross up", but watching it closely, it did cross up and Ultron even did the blocking animation facing the other side.

Guess I'll post this here too:

Watching this, MvCI has cross up protection. If you cross up someone for the first few frames they can block your cross up without changing the block direction(Xrd has this too and I think BB), this is huge for incoming mix-up in Marvel games!

Happens here:
https://youtu.be/mhjU3SsESgw?t=1m26s

You can see FChamp's Ultron's blocking JWang's cross up, when JWong ask him how did he block that he says he was just "blocking the same side it didn't cross up", but watching it closely, it did cross up and Ultron even did the blocking animation facing the other side.

Ewww. So we got unblockable protection & cross up protection.

Dahbomb

Ewww. So we got unblockable protection & cross up protection.
Probably the best changes for the game especially with how oppressive the mix up/set up game will be in this. The unblockable protection so far is only for simultaneous high/low unblockables which should never really exist anyway (games like Skullgirls already do away with it) and even then you will still have hard to unblockables. You just have wary timing by a few frames, if you get someone in those they are still most likely not blocking it.

Cross up protection as long as it applies to true ambiguous cross ups (ie. cross ups where you character is still in front but it still crosses up like in that video) are fine as long as we still have teleport cross ups which as far as I can tell this game still has those.

Anne

I'm late to this, but AFAIK there are some difficulties with controller signatures on PS4 that can make it hard to lower input lag using certain devtools. Checking DL, the only PS4 games that manage to get around this problem are Rev2 and USF4, and they are both on older engines.

I remember some dev ranting about how it's fixable if things are done right, but things just usually aren't done right. Was probably Mike Z.

Noodalls results are kinda similar to DL with BBCF also being pretty low latency on PS4.

Sayad

UE4 is probably still not optimized to having less lag, I dunno... :V

It's not that it's not optimized, these games are using way more post processing effects and there for require more rendering time per frame.

With UE3 ASW disabled most of this stuff and just kept their own shaders. Will be interesting to see if they can keep ~4 input delay with UE4 by doing the same.

Beckx

Virtual On "reboot" launches Winter 2018

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/certain-magical-virtual-launches-winter-2018-japan

While keeping the genes of Virtual-On, this is a reboot with the Virtual-On that appears in the novel.

For the rules, we’re thinking of a framework based on points, so we’re constructing a way of putting together regulations and actions to go along with them.

You gain points by stealing downs, and the outcome is determined by the number of points you have.

The game isn’t just online battles and co-op, there is a single-player story to enjoy as well.
Since each Index character has a special ability, the idea is to choose and combine them with compatible Virtuaroids.

There are plenty of games where you fight in 3D spaces. I want to propose a new way of playing. It will be important to incorporate the abilities of the Index characters.

Nowadays there aren’t as many players who find enjoyment in one-on-one battles as there were back in the day, so we need a design suited to modern society in addition to the one-on-one battle style.

I want the game content to allow even users who don’t play games much to have fun.

I want to be positive so I'm just going to say PRAISE GUNDAM VERSUS

Top Bottom