• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Wallach

Damn, I'm not going to be able to fly out for EVO after all.

Anyone going that doesn't have Sunday tickets? I have 2 floor seats I will not be able to use.

AAK

I only found this out recently but late in Tekken 4 people discovered that Steve was just as broken as Jin. His 1,2,... strings were 8 frames (Jin's were 10) and were mid if you initiated the string with f+1. Hence because it was an 8 frame move even if Jin tried doing his 2,1 BS that led to +1 frame advantage, Steve could still counter hit whatever Jin tried with his jab strings being mid starters, and on counter hit, Steve would get the 1,2,1,2 launcher all as a natural combo.

It also needs to be said the undisputed best player in the history of Tekken 4 was a Nina player. So as broken as Jin was, there were others with just as much broken shit as him.

Tekken 5.0 Steve's infinite was so easy to do that they banned it immediately. Something Jin never had to go through.

And Tekken 6.0's Bob was even worse than his console version counterpart with a natural 15 frame launcher. Had that game been given the life as long as Tekken 4 God knows how far down the stupidity hole people could have taken T6 Vanilla Bob.

History just unfortunately remembers Tekken 4 the way it does because it never got the luxury of a re-release like every future Tekken entry. Had Namco given that game its bug fixes, balance patches, fixed the side-turned wall splat, and brought back the old movement things could have been very different.

CO_Andy

Screen%2BShot%2B06-20-17%2Bat%2B05.43%2BPM.PNG

everything is fine guys

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There were already a ton of empty seats last year for SF5 top 8, presumably from people who had bought tickets for earlier games in the day and then left.

It'd look even worse if they couldn't sell out the arena in the first place.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Someone tell Aris to restart steam. He isn't the brightest when it comes to these things. Half of the chat is telling him but he's not listening.

Forward

I only found this out recently but late in Tekken 4 people discovered that Steve was just as broken as Jin. His 1,2,... strings were 8 frames (Jin's were 10) and were mid if you initiated the string with f+1. Hence because it was an 8 frame move even if Jin tried doing his 2,1 BS that led to +1 frame advantage, Steve could still counter hit whatever Jin tried with his jab strings being mid starters, and on counter hit, Steve would get the 1,2,1,2 launcher all as a natural combo.

It also needs to be said the undisputed best player in the history of Tekken 4 was a Nina player. So as broken as Jin was, there were others with just as much broken shit as him.

Tekken 5.0 Steve's infinite was so easy to do that they banned it immediately. Something Jin never had to go through.

And Tekken 6.0's Bob was even worse than his console version counterpart with a natural 15 frame launcher. Had that game been given the life as long as Tekken 4 God knows how far down the stupidity hole people could have taken T6 Vanilla Bob.

History just unfortunately remembers Tekken 4 the way it does because it never got the luxury of a re-release like every future Tekken entry. Had Namco given that game its bug fixes, balance patches, fixed the side-turned wall splat, and brought back the old movement things could have been very different.

I can't believe I remember this, too... it was a long, long time ago - back when I briefly played with the idea of maybe trying to be competitive at 3D fighters. Wasn't it basically those three, with Lee holding up the distant 4th slot? Basically due to step?

AAK

^^^ Yeah, Tekken 4's Lee's SS+2 led to a guaranteed 1,2,4:4 for nearly 45% damage. He also had the easiest arena stage infinite. Some say Ling was also up there with Lee thanks to AOP's evasiveness but I dunno if her meager damage warrants that placement.

Something else I just remembered. When Tekken 6.0 first launched in Japanese arcades in 2007 the bound mechanic would reset at the wall. So technically you could do a regular juggle with a bound, carry them to the wall, and then get a second bound for an even crazier wall combo. Thankfully there was Tekken.net connectivity with the arcade cabs so they could flash patch that out. That was some time ago when I would just sit at my dorm all day and refresh MarkMan's SDTekken.com site for any new T6.0 details.

Next year Evo going back to 2002-2008 size arenas?
I am surprised how injustice 2 and tekken 7 got less entrance than mkx last year wow thats bad...these two had disastrous reception at tournament level I guess especially for brand new released games.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Oh, absolutely, and I have to think it's part of the reason they do the releases how they do now.

Tag 2 arcade release had a load of completely broken Hwaorang unblockable setups.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Next year Evo going back to 2002-2008 size arenas?
I am surprised how injustice 2 and tekken 7 got less entrance than mkx last year wow thats bad...these two had disastrous reception at tournament level I guess especially for brand new released games.

OTOH Tekken is the only returning game that's increased it's turnout, per those numbers.

shaowebb

Apparently Dragonball Fighter Z won about 20 awards including the Best fighter of E3 award from IGN.
wghISKv.jpg

G9ASOCi.gif

I kid. Buy both. This is a helluva start though.

Spuck-uk

Banned
it is in a year where every other game dropped attendance by ~30-50%

^
Previously attending a major was the only way for most people in the west to play the game at all. Hell, I travelled to another country to play in a major just to get my hands on some Tekken pre-release.

Anne

If numbers are as down as that one post led peopel to believe, Tekken being stable is a feat all on its own for sure. I wouldn't expect a SFV type Zeitgeist with Tekken anyways tbh.

I'm gonna be kinda a pessimist and say I don't expect large number inflation on new releases for a little while. Kinda getting the vibe FGC is changing like that.

Beckx

PAX is struggling to sell too, isn't it? I wonder if something broader is happening.

Arms moved 100k in Japan w/ a 1M install base. SFV and Tekken 7 moved 100k combined in their launch weeks (2.5M install base when SFV launched, over 4M when T7 launched).

notworksafe

in a very broad sense, US tourism and travel is down across the board due to the dunce in the white house. in a much less broad sense, if last year was my first evo i'd have no interest in coming back.

the westgate isn't exactly the highest class hotel and having to walk like 10-15 minutes to get to the evo area at the convention center with no signage at all until you get outside the hotel was a pain. and then once you arrive at evo, everything is in one giant hot smelly area with no improved signage since ~2009 to help you find out where pools for games are and everyone was still packed in like sardines. and then if you want to check out vegas itself, buy a monorail pass and wait around in the blazing heat to get to the part of the Strip people care about. i get the need for extra space and all of that, but it doesn't make for a fun vegas trip.

BadWolf

Arms moved 100k in Japan w/ a 1M install base. SFV and Tekken 7 moved 100k combined in their launch weeks (2.5M install base when SFV launched, over 4M when T7 launched).

To be fair Arms has no baggage attached to it and Nintendo is known for making accessible games.

Tekken on the other hand is considered pretty hardcore and hard.

Top Bottom