• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games: Summer Jam, HK CPTA, SCRII Prelude, X-MANIA XVI! PAX PRIME & MORE

Archon473

I think the entertainment comes from the fact that PL talks so much shit and makes excuses and is a total asshole overall. On top of that the speech and getting 13-0'd in a FT10 only adds to the entertainment.
"Entertainment?" It was a Jerry Springer episode. Our community should promote high-level play exclusively, unless you want tournaments to be marketed as WWE events- as in jokes. It's pandering. It draws a crowd for the wrong reason. It's precisely why NRS games die. The community emphasizes personalities over competitively play. The "best" between these two "men" was a joke. If we saw behavior like this out of Gamerbee and Momochi, we would be ashamed.

UNIEL, Persona, DOA, Skullgirls, NRS games. Sonic Fox is an enigma. I cannot figure out his preferences in games. If you use Karst's subgenre divisions, to figure out someone's tastes, it's all over the place!

He likes assist based fighters but he doesn't play marvel 3. He seems to enjoy playing on the big stage and winning huge chunks of cash but doesn't play street fighter 4. He plays Rising Thunder, aka Street Fighter 4 with robots though. He plays anime games but he doesn't play the biggest one, Guilty Gear Xrd, a game with a huge legacy that favors veterans to the series. So much that Kazunoko won every Guilty Gear tournament he entered in the US without really playing the game. And he likes Sonic it seems, and the top players are closer to his age, but he doesn't play Smash. What makes a game like Persona 4 Arena worth his attention more than all these games?

It's a mystery! I cannot figure out for the life of me why he picks the games that he does!

That UNIEL Grand finals was awesome.
That last round was so clutch.

Hope he sticks.Imagine him dominating like SK and NRS games?

He wouldn't dominate. Let's just get that out of the way.

Ricki is out. Lost to Alukard.
Ricki with 3 ranking events left. Like I said in the past, if Smug, Dieminion, Snake, etc... are in the same tournament, it's hard to see where she'll pick up the points. Smug didn't do well, but at least he has the potential to get top 2 in a tournament with all of the killers.

Clockw0rk

"Entertainment?" It was a Jerry Springer episode. Our community should promote high-level play exclusively, unless you want tournaments to be marketed as WWE events- as in jokes. It's pandering. It draws a crowd for the wrong reason. It's precisely why NRS games die. The community emphasizes personalities over competitively play. The "best" between these two "men" was a joke. If we saw behavior like this out of Gamerbee and Momochi, we would be ashamed.

One of the best parts about fighting games IMO is that you can play out in-game differences like this. Also it's not like PL is some scrub - dude is an EVO champ. It just so happens he's a champ that got 13-0'd.

Say what you will about PL or the match last night. But dude had words and played a match to (attempt to) prove it, which is actually quite rare I feel in this new era. Everyone these days just wants to be friends with each other because there's connections to be made, money to be made, and everyone is afraid of getting blown up with so many people watching now. You won't see sick grudge matches out of Japan because there seemingly aren't any, which is boring.

(correct me if im wrong about the jp grudge thing)

Anne

One of the best parts about fighting games IMO is that you can play out in-game differences like this. Also it's not like PL is some scrub - dude is an EVO champ. It just so happens he's a champ that got 13-0'd.

Say what you will about PL or the match last night. But dude had words and played a match to (attempt to) prove it, which is actually quite rare I feel in this new era. Everyone these days just wants to be friends with each other because there's connections to be made, money to be made, and everyone is afraid of getting blown up with so many people watching now. You won't see sick grudge matches out of Japan because there seemingly aren't any, which is boring.

(correct me if im wrong about the jp grudge thing)

It exists in Japan. Last time I saw it happen where somebody had strong feelings though the other player declined and they didn't wanna get into it. They'll do exhibitions at least, but when somebody makes a huge jackass of themselves I just see them once and then they get shunned and disappear. I actually watch more JP tournaments now cause it's just pleasant without people going out of their way to make a blow up happen, it's just people playing games well. Turn on a NA stream most of the time and it's clown shoes for the people who want WWEsports.

Also some of us play nice and try to make friends cause it's a nicer way of living than constantly dealing with some horse shit or pointlessly trying to prove yourself :v

Settling differences over a video game is dumb as hell anyways, just like be an adult.

UNIEL, Persona, DOA, Skullgirls, NRS games. Sonic Fox is an enigma. I cannot figure out his preferences in games. If you use Karst's subgenre divisions, to figure out someone's tastes, it's all over the place!

He likes assist based fighters but he doesn't play marvel 3. He seems to enjoy playing on the big stage and winning huge chunks of cash but doesn't play street fighter 4. He plays Rising Thunder, aka Street Fighter 4 with robots though. He plays anime games but he doesn't play the biggest one, Guilty Gear Xrd, a game with a huge legacy that favors veterans to the series. So much that Kazunoko won every Guilty Gear tournament he entered in the US without really playing the game. And he likes Sonic it seems, and the top players are closer to his age, but he doesn't play Smash. What makes a game like Persona 4 Arena worth his attention more than all these games?

It's a mystery! I cannot figure out for the life of me why he picks the games that he does!

Maybe he just plays the game he likes?

A cynic might think he picks games with weaker competition so he can dominate easier and win money. Nothing mainstream; why play Xrd when you have to defeat the nigh-undefeated Ogawa? Why play Capcom fighters when there is so much top blood?

Or maybe he just hates Capcom.

Pretty much any fighting game played competitively has had something similar happen without the game suffering from it. LTG VS Viscant or Leffen VS Chillin didn't cause their respective games to die.
I agree in general that competitive play should take precedence over personalities but anything that makes an example of people who talk entirely too much shit is good precisely because it reminds people that they should think twice before running their mouth or they might end up on the receiving end.

Clockw0rk

It exists in Japan. Last time I saw it happen where somebody had strong feelings though the other player declined and they didn't wanna get into it. They'll do exhibitions at least, but when somebody makes a huge jackass of themselves I just see them once and then they get shunned and disappear. I actually watch more JP tournaments now cause it's just pleasant without people going out of their way to make a blow up happen, it's just people playing games well. Turn on a NA stream most of the time and it's clown shoes for the people who want WWEsports.

Also some of us play nice and try to make friends cause it's a nicer way of living than constantly dealing with some horse shit or pointlessly trying to prove yourself :v

Settling differences over a video game is dumb as hell anyways, just like be an adult.
Everyone is going to enjoy their hobby and be passionate in their own way. Besides, what better way to settle a difference over a video game? Argue over the internet? Fist fight?

What does being an adult even mean? Ridiculous. All that tells me is that whoever doesn't act the way you deem appropriate makes them a child.

We're playing competitive fighting games. If you think you can beat someone, you challenge them and prove it. That is awesome and says NOTHING about your maturity level. PL might be clown shoes yes, but for every PL vs Sonic Fox you get a Choi vs Valle, Justin vs Sanford, etc. You can act nice and make friends and thats great, but the 1v1 experience that fighting games bring affords a unique experience that is hard to find.

REAL champions are built from people trying to prove themselves. What's pointless to you might be everything to someone else.

Anne

Everyone is going to enjoy their hobby and be passionate in their own way. Besides, what better way to settle a difference over a video game? Argue over the internet? Fist fight?

What does being an adult even mean? Ridiculous. All that tells me is that whoever doesn't act the way you deem appropriate makes them a child.

We're playing competitive fighting games. If you think you can beat someone, you challenge them and prove it. That is awesome and says NOTHING about your maturity level. PL might be clown shoes yes, but for everyone PL vs Sonic Fox you get a Choi vs Valle, Justin vs Sanford, etc. You can act nice and make friends and thats great, but the 1v1 experience that fighting games bring affords a unique experience that is hard to find.

REAL champions are built from people trying to prove themselves. What's pointless to you might be everything to someone else.

Being an adult is just not dealing with somebody spouting nonsense, and actually talking and making mature decisions instead of squadding up on twitter and challenging somebody to a fight in a game lol. You don't gotta argue over the internet or fist fight, just do something smart so people don't have to get messy.

If you wanna play somebody to see if you're better, then play. All you gotta do. It's cool in fighting games you can do that 1v1. You don't have to go to high school locker room levels and spend an evening making memes about a guy or sit there telling somebody to wash dick out of their mouth.

You wanna be a champion all you gotta do is go play and work hard until you get it. Don't gotta make a fool out of yourself and others along the way.

Come on, man. We've had this same discussion for like a year now.

Edit: I will add this, I think we are coming from two REALLY different spots on this. From the anime scene things get really personal and really super hella fucking nasty. Like it's not about the game, it's about people actually trying to hurt each other. If you wanna talk shit about the game and play to win cool, I just don't like how vicious and personal it gets,

Clockw0rk

It's obvious your lens is much different than mine.

About the other thing, I don't think grudge matches like last night are somehow harmful for fighting games. If anything it's better since human behavior is much easier to consume than technical might for someone unfamiliar with the scene. If you gave a random person the choice of 2 youtube videos with one titled "MK player wins 13-0 with incredible gameplay and mixups" and the other "guy talks mad shit on the internet over MK, gets beaten 13-0", which do you think they'd watch?

Top Bottom