• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 27 - May 3 | NeoGAF actually plays games?!

petghost

Banned
What is the deal with nrs's dial a combo systems...Like what is the appeal there. The more I learn about them the more confused I get as they seem so disconnected from frame data. It also feels weird to kinda remove hit confirming just by the nature of how quick inputs need to be dialed in.

What is the deal with nrs's dial a combo systems...Like what is the appeal there. The more I learn about them the more confused I get as they seem so disconnected from frame data. It also feels weird to kinda remove hit confirming just by the nature of how quick inputs need to be dialed in.
Basically there is 0 timing restriction. For example you have combo that's 212 and cancelable. And say your special is left right 4. Just quickly press 212 and immediately press left right 4. That's it. So basically just put in your entire string together and the games does the rest for you. Mk don't have traditional footsies. I find it difficult to hit confirm a footsie into something because most of them don't cancel into anything.
But mkx is a very linear game IMO. Its a game of getting knockdown and set up 50/50. Or pressure with 50/50 dial a combo. If you can't guess right matches can end in 20 seconds.I think that's a rather bad fighting game design but it helps newer player enter the genre without too much complication and hard work.

Maybe some people enjoy that crap? Probably easier for casuals.

I could do all those really long fancy combos in MK3 and KI when I was only a kid back in the 90s. I gotta admit those games can make beginners feel pretty godlike. I guess that's part of the appeal of it.

Essay

Maybe some people enjoy that crap? Probably easier for casuals.

In theory, before the MKX option selects, it created an interesting dynamic with regards to what can and cannot be hitconfirmed due to how early you have to buffer. For example, sometimes in neutral you'd want to input a single normal buffered into a combo-starting special to minimize whiff-punishability (at the cost of not hit confirming and losing advantage or getting punished on block), while other times you'll want to input a multi-hit string to maximize hit-confirmability, while leaving yourself more open to whiff-punishes.

fader

Edit:
Tacrivu.jpg

yea a lot of people are complaining about his "hugging", obviously those people never watched boxing. it's called clinching folks and it's been in boxing since the dawn of the sun.

It's sort of interesting what attitude the general population has in regard to "cheap" tactics, even outside of gaming. It's not Mayweather's fault for doing it, it's Pacquiao's fault for not being able to stop it, just like if they were playing fighting games instead of actually fighting.

If I can beat you with nothing but a backdash, a normal, and a throw, then I'm the idiot if I don't keep doing it.

El Sloth

Banned
yea a lot of people are complaining about his "hugging", obviously those people never watched boxing. it's called clinching folks and it's been in boxing since the dawn of the sun.
It was very enjoyable hearing family and friends rage last night about how "that running away bullshit isn't real boxing! He should be running in there and taking those hits like a real man!!!"

It reminded me of the way my brother used to complain when I'd throw him out of attacks mid-animation in Soul Calibur 2

It also reminded me of the mentalitiy many casual players seem to have towards lame play styles. "Why is he being a bitch and chucking fireballs and not running into my fists????"

Clawww

It's sort of interesting what attitude the general population has in regard to "cheap" tactics, even outside of gaming. It's not Mayweather's fault for doing it, it's Pacquiao's fault for not being able to stop it, just like if they were playing fighting games instead of actually fighting.

If I can beat you with nothing but a backdash, a normal, and a throw, then I'm the idiot if I don't keep doing it.

the general populace is scrubby as fuck

alstein

It may be Pac's fault, but if it's so bad people abandon the game over it, everyone loses.

Sometimes rules changes are needed in games/sports. Cries of cheap are usually just asking for nerfs or rule changes (which may or may not make sense)

Joule

Got through watching most of what I missed from day 2 of KSB. It's really unfortunate they had a slew of technical and non technical issues but they can learn from everything and make the event better for next year. More double elimination 2/3 tournaments in Japan would be super great.

It may be Pac's fault, but if it's so bad people abandon the game over it, everyone loses.

Sometimes rules changes are needed in games/sports. Cries of cheap are usually just asking for nerfs or rule changes (which may or may not make sense)

I don't think "throw spamming" will necessarily ruin boxing, because as far as I understand it the incentives for match-fixing and picking opponents and corrupt commissions/promoters are what's been forcing the decline of the sport for the last 20 years, moreso than the rules favoring overly defensive styles. I feel like MMA will reach that point pretty soon too, where casuals who tune in for chaos and hype will be disappointed when strategies get advanced enough that people can afford to fight conservatively (GSP, etc). MMA is basically the rise and fall of Marvel 3.

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
III. Execution
a. Controllers
b. Pressure
c. Combos
d. Muscle Memory vs. Visual vs. Audio Cues
e. Pressing Buttons With Intention​
IV. Playing and Learning
a. Picking a Game
b. Picking a Character​
i. Watch Videos​
c. Forums
d. Videos
e. Feedback​
i. Be Critical​
f. Playing Matches​
i. Locals
ii. Online Play​
g. Training Mode​
i. Have Goals​

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162530086]Saw the Avengers yesterday, saw Mayweather body that scrub pacman today, tomorrow I'm gonna have pancakes. What a complete weekend.[/QUOTE]
I had the same weekend.

.la1n

Whenever there is a big boxing match like this one it's always obvious from the twitter comments, etc. who doesn't actually watch boxing on a regular basis or understand the rules.

Stupid question but I was hoping to check out some ESL MK X matches today, is there an official stream for it?

Dahbomb

No section on movements? Wake up and okizeme?

Maybe explain some character archetypes.

And yea the section at the end should be at the top. Seems like you want them to pick a game and a character before telling them about spacing.

Execution should be the last thing on the list.

That sounds extremely detailed, to the point where it's a bit off-putting. Might want to call this the 'advanced' tutorial or something and have a short, as-a-beginner-you-should-focues-on-these-three-things kinda tutorial to go with it?

Presumably it's a very advanced tutorial for people who already decided that they want to play fighting games seriously and are going to work on it. Since the most important section for anyone actually just picking up a fighting game for the first time ever is at the end, that person can't be the target audience for this project.

You should probably start with Playing and Learning, and then maybe revisit it again at the end. The first one could include things like Expectations, Proper Mindsets, Motivation, Picking a Game, Picking a Character and things like that to prepare people that are new to fighters for actually improving. I feel that more importantly than knowing how to play a particular fighting game is knowing how to approach fighting games in general.

How were you planning on doing the videos? Were you going to use a single game or multiple games? Or no games and just talk with charts and graphs and diagrams?

You should probably start with Playing and Learning, and then maybe revisit it again at the end. The first one could include things like Expectations, Proper Mindsets, Motivation, Picking a Game, Picking a Character and things like that to prepare people that are new to fighters for actually improving. I feel that more importantly than knowing how to play a particular fighting game is knowing how to approach fighting games in general.

How were you planning on doing the videos? Were you going to use a single game or multiple games? Or no games and just talk with charts and graphs and diagrams?
I love the idea of an expectations/mindset video - thank you!

I kind of want to use a variety of games for each video. Maybe a 30 second clip from Street Fighter, 30 seconds from Smash, etc. That way people are relating it to a variety of games. Almost everything listed here is applicable to every game out there. After I'm done with everything, I might do specialized "focus topics" for specific games and their specific mechanics, like perfect shielding in Smash Bros.

That sounds extremely detailed, to the point where it's a bit off-putting. Might want to call this the 'advanced' tutorial or something and have a short, as-a-beginner-you-should-focues-on-these-three-things kinda tutorial to go with it?
It's not going to be one huge video. Each small roman numeral will be its own video, is the idea. Each video might be 2-4 minutes, so maybe someone could watch it in a "bite size" version while on the subway, between classes, etc. Chunking the content will help it be less overwhelming. I'll have a little introductory video where I explain it all.

I was also contemplating having my wife do the voicing for all the videos, since guys might like having a lovely lady's voice talking to them for hours instead of mine.

And yea the section at the end should be at the top. Seems like you want them to pick a game and a character before telling them about spacing.

Added - thanks! It's not easy to remember everything involved in fighting games off the top of my head.

Presumably it's a very advanced tutorial for people who already decided that they want to play fighting games seriously and are going to work on it. Since the most important section for anyone actually just picking up a fighting game for the first time ever is at the end, that person can't be the target audience for this project.
Oh, it's not organized in order of importance. This was written in a kind of "stream of consciousness" manner. You guys are right that the thing listed last should be first - thank you for the feedback!

I actually wanted to offer it more as a "menu", where people could pick a section and explore it based on interest.

It's actually intended to be a starting point for people that want to start fighting games, but want to do more than mash. Maybe they'll just want to learn about execution, or maybe they'll just want to learn about how to train better, etc. I don't expect anyone to go through it beginning to end, but rather, to be a reference for various concepts.

I also want to create a video series called "The Fighting Game Dictionary". :)

Sayad

I want to make a series of video tutorials about how to get into fighting games. Below is a rough draft of what I'm thinking of putting together. I just started it an hour ago, so it has a ton of gaps. I'm hoping folks here will give me feedback on the structure, as well as subjects that should be included, so that it can be a more full presentation for those wanting to learn. Even the main categories aren't set in stone, but it's how I think of things - maybe someone here will have a better breakdown.

I. Mechanics
a. Attacks​
i. Hitboxes
ii. Hurtboxes
iii. Priority
iv. Invincibility
v. Clashing​
b. Frame Data​
i. Frame Rates
ii. Frame Advantage
iii. Frame Disadvantage
iv. Safe Moves
v. Unsafe Moves​
c. Resource Management​
i. Meter A silly one, but health should come before the less universal mechanics like, bursts, x-factor, etc...
ii. Bursts
iii. Health
iv. Timer​
II. Psychology Another word might be a better fit here, lots of things you could talk about that wouldn't make sense to be under a "Psychology" title.
a. Neutral​
i. Spacing
ii. Pokes
iii. Openings
iv. Rushing
v. Predictability​
b. Offense​
i. Frame Traps
ii. Option Selects Option selects are used as much during defense as they are on offence, so you might need another one there... Also, OS could also fit under mechanics and execution, so the main categories might need a little more work.
iii. Mixups​
1. Overheads
2. Lows
3. Grabs
4. Tick Throws​
iv. Predictability​
c. Defense​
i. Predictability​
Few thoughts.

Dahbomb

You basically want to cover at least 6 different types of fighters in that video.

*Footsie, grounded fighter like SF
*Air dash fighters aka anime fighter like GGXrd
*Smash
*3d fighter like Tekken
*NRS fighter like MKX
*Team based fighter like MvC

El Sloth

Banned
Karsticles, you should also consider making a thread and just plain asking people what they want from a tutorial. Or be more roundabout and make one asking something like what are people's roadblocks to getting into fighting games.

I decided to make a Google Doc version where people can add comments, so I can view it on the go and make alterations at work:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10QeY5rf99fR1Spk-Qr2npTDQYb3WqpZWqDfbZ6AtDO8/edit?usp=sharing

Karsticles, you should also consider making a thread and just plain asking people what they want from a tutorial. Or be more roundabout and make one asking something like what are people's roadblocks to getting into fighting games.
Great idea!

You basically want to cover at least 6 different types of fighters in that video.

*Footsie, grounded fighter like SF
*Air dash fighters aka anime fighter like GGXrd
*Smash
*3d fighter like Tekken
*NRS fighter like MKX
*Team based fighter like MvC
I group NRS games with SF - why do you separate them?

Dahbomb

Different way they handle frame data and combos/juggles, different type of footsie battles, different types of aerial jump in/offense, different dashes/runs, cross up mix ups vs no cross up mix ups due to having a block button, different type of pressure/offense etc.

Though MK has been getting more and more like SF.

Like if you made your frame data video and explained how combos worked using said frame data.. that video would be applicable to most 2D games like SF even MvC but not to MK.

Waaay different
Still 1v1 fight with two competitors spacing each other until an opportunity comes up. Maybe it'd be different if the comparison were between KOF and SF where each competitor has to work through three characters for the victory. As different as they are, I'd still group a fighter like VSav in the same category as SF. The same goes for MK.

Waaay different
Much like Xrd, P4A and BBCP are way different, but they have much more in common than they have separate when compared with Marvel or Street Fighter. I feel like Street Fighter and NRS games are very much in the same category of 1v1 fighter.

Still 1v1 fight with two competitors spacing each other until an opportunity comes up. Maybe it'd be different if the comparison were between KOF and SF where each competitor has to work through three characters for the victory. As different as they are, I'd still group a fighter like VSav in the same category as SF. The same goes for MK.
Agreed.

You should probably cover the human-to-human stuff first, before hitboxes and stuff. Get to grips with the actually visible stuff onscreen first, so it's less scary. So start with at least Part 1 of Psychology section first. It can be revisited later.

For the spacing/pokes thing, I really really like the "ground game guide by Shie" post that's translated on SRK. The terms used in it are really good for breaking down what's happening. They couple mechanics and motivation nicely.

I fully agree with these.

I love the idea of an expectations/mindset video - thank you!

I kind of want to use a variety of games for each video. Maybe a 30 second clip from Street Fighter, 30 seconds from Smash, etc. That way people are relating it to a variety of games. Almost everything listed here is applicable to every game out there. After I'm done with everything.

I think if you want to highlight that it'd be good to show the same thing happening in different games so it slowly seeps into people's brains that all the games work according to similar principles.

I also want to create a video series called "The Fighting Game Dictionary". :)

Yes.

Q's Current Anime Game Tier List

S. BBCPE
A. UNiEL
B. GGXRD, P4AU
C: other stuff

Coffeeling's "My soul was abruptly consumed somehow" Tier List:
1. 3rd Strike
2. Faust

EVERYONE. WATCH GUTTER TRASH 4. AMAZING, INSANE THINGS HAPPEN. HYPE. AND STUFF.

Group Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxbFwGm2BdQ
Top 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut25_NKrglw

Much like Xrd, P4A and BBCP are way different, but they have much more in common than they have separate when compared with Marvel or Street Fighter. I feel like Street Fighter and NRS games are very much in the same category of 1v1 fighter.

Actually I'd probably separate 3d/NRS from 2d offerings. The airdashy things have more movement options, but 2d Capcom/SNK/others games typically handle combos in a similar way. Frame data, cancels that still work because of frame data, and so on.

NRS and 3d are more deliberately constructed in the combo department. Trying to apply "if I hit them during histun" type thinking to MK will just lead to bumps on heads and messy, bloody walls.

pixelish

reminder that kvo for ultra is going to start in about 3 hours
i trust the glorious nippon TO's in running the event on time

got the start time from r/kappa
Listed times: Japan Standard | UTC | US Eastern
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - Winner qualifies for CPT Asia Finals
Pools: 10:00 - 15:30 | 1:00 - 6:30 | 9pm - 2:30am
TOP 4: 15:30 | 6:30 | 2:30am

notable players in the tournament include tokido, kazunoko, kog, nemo, pepeday, itabashi, fubarduck and many more.

Kalamari

Neogaf needs a fighting game tutorial desperately.

zlatko

Banned
FGW|The Game Session is No Longer Available

Fucking MKX man. Totally destroy people first round, they quit, and it isn't a quitality... wtf!?!

Ugh...

Top Bottom