• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 27 - May 3 | NeoGAF actually plays games?!

Karsticles, you should also consider making a thread and just plain asking people what they want from a tutorial. Or be more roundabout and make one asking something like what are people's roadblocks to getting into fighting games.

The answers pretty much boil down to:

- I don't know what to practice
- I don't want to spend time learning without playing (training mode is a chore)
- Execution confuses me in general
- I don't like the game anyway, this is just what some people I know are doing for the moment

Lose to wakeup ultra in 2015 brehs

teehee

didn't die specifically to the wakeup ultra, just couldn't get back in after

jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

- I don't want to spend time learning without playing (training mode is a chore)
- I don't like the game anyway, this is just what some people I know are doing for the moment

Seems accurate, all of these can be applied to me and trying SF4 for 10 minutes before quitting again.

Training mode is my favorite part of fighting games.

You ever see Noel Brown's Vega? Mayweather definitely has more in common with Noel than fchamp
Fchamp and Mayweather win majors though
Q's Current Anime Game Tier List

S. BBCPE
A. UNiEL
B. GGXRD, P4AU
C: other stuff
S: P4AU, Marvel 3
...then everything else
I had the same weekend.
It's a good life.

So did Capcom do nothing for the Mayweather fight?

Grats on member!

Seems accurate, all of these can be applied to me and trying SF4 for 10 minutes before quitting again.
Thank you for the insight!

This is too open ended, you gotta pick one joke answer.
I think he means you only trying for 10 minutes.

Actually, I really value your input here. As primarily a spectator of fighting games, what interests you and drives you to keep watching? What do you enjoy or dislike, and why?

JDdelphin

why do I know this name

The guy that Viscant beat in that 'grudge match' and then lost in the pre and postmatch smacktalk, and then kept failing at physically intimidating Viscant despite being a foot taller and fifty pounds heavier but had some choreographed poses he needed to share with the public? That guy?

I think you're missing one important bullet point here which is
- I don't know if my training is paying off / I don't know how to quantify my progress

reminder that kvo for ultra is going to start in about 3 hours
i trust the glorious nippon TO's in running the event on time

got the start time from r/kappa

notable players in the tournament include tokido, kazunoko, kog, nemo, pepeday, itabashi, fubarduck and many more.

ifkOrAPdYNzUk.gif

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
reminder that kvo for ultra is going to start in about 3 hours
i trust the glorious nippon TO's in running the event on time

got the start time from r/kappa

notable players in the tournament include tokido, kazunoko, kog, nemo, pepeday, itabashi, fubarduck and many more.

is it going to be niconico? pls tell me its not going to be only on niconico ;_;

which is it
That's what I would like to know.

Actually, I really value your input here. As primarily a spectator of fighting games, what interests you and drives you to keep watching? What do you enjoy or dislike, and why?
There are some obvious psychological why I want to "play" or "be good", things like competition and beating someone and being good at something. Fighting games have very clear outlined pass/fail conditions and several metrics by which one can judge their own ability and others.

But that's just a reason for doing something competitive. The reason for playing a fighting game is that to me they are an extension of character action games. The direct control and feedback give you a more tangible sense of you doing something instead of just pressing buttons and the game taking care of everything else on autopilot. The characters usually look cool, have good animations, flashy moves that are fun to do.

There is also the combo and execution angle. Combos look cool, and they are fun to do, and maybe even practice. It hits the same spot as racing games, rhythm games, platformers. The satisfying feeling of practising a series of actions, motions and then accurately performing them in a rapid sequence. The strict measurement of ability along with clear pass/fail conditions is also key here along with the satisfying physical and visual feedback of going through practised motions.

So yeah I wouldn't call my self an observer of these games, it's the most significant way I engage with some of the games but that doesn't define me. I don't really get anything more out of watching people play than anyone else. I just like seeing comebacks happen, reversals, cool flashy shit. Not playing the games actually hurts my ability to follow or understand the game. To me most streams are about commentators adding flavour to what's on stream, or personalities involved in the match. That's what Jiyuna gets, when you are running a stream you gotta talk and play shit up to keep people interested, that's why he kept bugging LK about not talking on stream or engaging with audience.

Besides that, I have been playing a game for three years now.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33143396&postcount=648 Yeah I was a scrub back then, probably still am, but I am pretty sure I went through a learning experience with at least one game and can understand the point of view of a beginner and an experienced player. Along with the a very small community angle, and personalities, and finding people to play with. It's just that none of that really translated to 2D fighting games.

- I don't know if my training is paying off / I don't know how to quantify my progress
With combos there is a pretty clear sense of progress. Playing against AI is slightly more difficult. Against players it is impossible because a low level player can't understand the way a high level player thinks. So it really depends on what metric you are trying to look at for judging progress. Rank points, rank, ranked player is also a way to measure progress for some people.

hitsugi

Playing against people = training mode.

Training is great when you need to fine tune very specific things, but otherwise you can practice combos to the point where you have it to the 't' a billion times in training mode and flop when it actually matters.

Dahbomb

The guy that Viscant beat in that 'grudge match' and then lost in the pre and postmatch smacktalk, and then kept failing at physically intimidating Viscant despite being a foot taller and fifty pounds heavier but had some choreographed poses he needed to share with the public? That guy?

bAjxhTH.jpg

zlatko

Banned
People are sleeping on Johnny Cage way too much in MKX. GOD DAMN!

You can do 61% damage in the corner with him (brain dead easy combo) if you have all 3 of your bars.

For 1 bar you can get 54% in corner---also brain dead easy. Starts off a quick over head... wow.

His mid screen combos in stunt double mode are a bit trickier to pull off, but you can get big damage conversion off a low or high with him for 1 bar.

Super good character...

With combos there is a pretty clear sense of progress. Playing against AI is slightly more difficult. Against players it is impossible because a low level player can't understand the way a high level player thinks. So it really depends on what metric you are trying to look at for judging progress. Rank points, rank, ranked player is also a way to measure progress for some people.
Using that recent thread as an example, the guy got his combo down in training mode but as soon as he went online he completely forgot how to perform it under pressure. At that point you wonder if a) you actually ever mastered that combo like you thought you did and b) whether or not it even mattered in the grand scheme of things. The number displayed might be higher but you don't feel any better at the game.

I think you're missing one important bullet point here which is

Progress should be something like

"I frequently lost to X character/tactic/gimmick before, but now it happens less often/not at all"

"I used to frequently drop X combo in matches, but now it happens less often/not at all"

Substitute any problem event for X.

When you work on all of your X problems, the final quantification, winning, naturally follows.

Top Bottom