• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 16-22

Riposte

I feel so vindicated right now. thank you keits

it was a dark age

1) His reasoning sucks for part of it (Tekken games are not sequels lol)

2) Using "Dark Age" to refer to stagnation of the tournament scene's growth is a completely different issue.

Capcom fans scratching Capcom fans backs lol.

1) His reasoning sucks for part of it (Tekken games are not sequels lol)

2) Using "Dark Age" to refer to stagnation of the tournament scene's growth is a completely different issue.

Capcom fans scratching Capcom fans backs lol.

yeah, the tekken comment was pretty off. 3 to 4 was a big change, for the worse, 4 to 5 was better.

i'm standing by not exciting releases + shrinking fan base/genre in general (not just tourney scene.)

what did you play during that time? i played just about everything on that list, on my own in arcade mode with a couple exceptions, cause I'm a fighting game fan. life is better now.

So if Ultrachen are making about $4 an hour with an average of 2k viewers for the entire hour. I guess Level|Up makes makes about $10 for it's 5-6k it averages for the 6+ hours they're on. So maybe about $60 every Wednesday and another $60 on Thursday now. Not a lot of money but it's a start I guess. At least if you look at the months total, it's not that bad. But right now it's just the Level|Up guys who are hitting these numbers every week. So whatever little money there is out there, they're the only ones making it.

Busaiku

yeah, the tekken comment was pretty off.

i'm standing by not exciting releases + shrinking fan base/genre in general (not just tourney scene.)

what did you play during that time? i played just about everything on that list, on my own, cause I'm a fighting game fan.

Anime games were getting big with Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, and the like.
I didn't follow tournaments and stuff back then, but from comments from some people on the streams, it might have been just as big, or even bigger than it is now.

Grecco

So if Ultrachen are making about $4 an hour with an average of 2k viewers for the entire hour. I guess Level|Up makes makes about $10 for it's 5-6k it averages for the 6+ hours they're on. So maybe about $60 every Wednesday and another $60 on Thursday now. Not a lot of money but it's a start I guess. At least if you look at the months total, it's not that bad. But right now it's just the Level|Up guys who are hitting these numbers every week. So whatever little money there is out there, they're the only ones making it.

They probably make some more with subscriptions too.

Anime games were getting big with Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, and the like.
I didn't follow tournaments and stuff back then, but from comments from some people on the streams, it might have been just as big, or even bigger than it is now.

i don't know what you mean by "getting big." I mean, I knew about those games, but I'll be damned if even my gamer friends knew about them, much less wanted to play them. Today? fuck it, go to locals, play against 50 people.

some people in the streams miss the golden age when it was their little underground thing, sure, but no, the fgc tournament scene was not as big as it is now. If you didn't know about SRK, you just saw a bunch of disparate fighter releases that were full price for arcade mode. Even if you knew about SRK...not really accessible for noobs, is how i'll put it.

level up makes the real money with sponsors and the fees they charge at locals.

Doesn't the money actually go to Super Arcade for using there place. As for sponsors, I'm not seeing real sponsors. SRK, Mad Catz, or even Twitch, I don't think they're seeing real money from them. Nice bonuses, perks, and a bit of cash, but not real cash.

Kaiden

Neo Member
Is there a place where people can chat in real time since CC is on Youtube now? I want to see the chat for Triforce being on it tonight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't understand where any of the "real cash" is coming from in the FGC. The whole model doesn't make sense for me because I don't see any of these sponsors putting in real bank. Shit, even the SC2/LoL model doesn't make sense to me.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm not very up to date on channels and websites...I know that he's going to be the guest on CC tonight and that's streamed on Youtube now. :/

Hm, but the OP says he'll be on EMP's twitch channel, hence my confusion. Need to make sure I don't miss it!

I don't understand where any of the "real cash" is coming from in the FGC. The whole model doesn't make sense for me because I don't see any of these sponsors putting in real bank. Shit, even the SC2/LoL model doesn't make sense to me.

Yea, I don't know where the "big money" is going to come from. Seems like the goal is to make the events turn a reasonable bit of profit. Unless viewer counts are going to go way, way up somehow.

Will fighting games ever go above 100k-150k for a tourny stream?

The economics seem so weird. Maybe MLG and twitch/own3d know something else that I don't see.

Will fighting games ever go above 100k-150k for a tourny stream?

I'm pretty confident the next EVO will. But if we're talking about majors Final Round, Season's Beatings, or SCR, I don't think we'll ever see tournaments like that reach 100k. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Chavelo

Repost!

Meanwhile, something rare...

Actual people playing against each other on a fighting game in the fighting game community!

twitch.tv/8WayRun
(Yeah, there is a link for you to click) is having the Loser Finals for Marvel. Josh Wong vs AG | MarlinPie.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
"Triforce we got some pictures, you want to tell us about them?"

Was expecting triforce_wang_pic.jpg

Also lol @ Valkyries of Arcadia.

Triforce is kinda nuts imo

Sanford playing MK9 will be interesting ( I expect him to get bodied)

Kind of? He's completely nuts. The way he talks you can tell he thinks he's an actual intellect too. To me it seems like he just took a bunch of classes at his local community college and thinks he's pioneering business relation within the community...

Grecco

Kind of? He's completely nuts. The way he talks you can tell he thinks he's an actual intellect too. To me it seems like he just took a bunch of classes at his local community college and thinks he's pioneering business relation within the community...

The stuff about NEEDING to police the stream monsters was full lol worthy

Not to mention all the shit about "the fighting game division" with the Empire.

I'm pretty confident the next EVO will. But if we're talking about majors Final Round, Season's Beatings, or SCR, I don't think we'll ever see tournaments like that reach 100k. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

I tend to agree.

idk how other people see it, but to me, the production values need to go up if the viewership is to go up. That means to me is events that run on time, finals days that stay on schedule, so a game is on and being played when it is supposed to be. Higher quality video (events would have to spend more on internet connections). Ability to watch from the dashboard/Home screens on the consoles, stuff like that. Better recap "shows" during the week. Maybe somebody would actually break down what happened in a tournament and break down matches afterwards.

I always thought it would be possible one to get a random channel on directTV to show EVO finals day or something.

Though I don't know if it even matters, and the current audience is what it is for Fighting game viewership. Or maybe it will take a new game to make it pop like that.

Top Bottom