• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of April 28st to May the 4th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Northwest Majors VI [ Thread ] [ Friday ] [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
Hypemania 2014 [ Saturday ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibzNNHYw0F9Nry.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at proof that MvC and Smash are BFFs, Azure J!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
I’ve been focusing on the Project M mod for Super Smash Bros. Brawl lately after bouncing around a number of games at varying levels of proficiency including UMVC3, Guilty Gear XX AC+, Third Strike, SSFIVAE, Vampire Saviour and Skullgirls. Time and other obligations put a damper on the amount of time I could dedicate to that many FGs simultaneously, so I decided to stick with Project M alone for the time being.

In terms of all time favorites, the Super Smash Bros. series will probably always be my one true love. This is due to it possessing elements that can’t be found anywhere else, most notably in its freedom of movement, edge games, directional influence mechanic, and dynamics involving platforms.​
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Skullgirls’ custom assists system gets a big nod from me. It’s a pretty convincing “proof of concept” of sorts for opening up other team members’ repertoires and allowing for more individuality and diversity in team design.

My least favorite mechanic is one that has been brought up enough times but can never be fully understated – the TAC mechanic in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. TACs as they exist now are an inelegant execution that consistently adds more issues to an already volatile game.​
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Initially, it was just the drive to learn more and outplay my siblings (who I had great rivalries with) but as I started becoming more curious about design in general, I found myself eager to see just how far the rabbit hole went. Eventually, I found footage of people playing the games (Melee most notably) and I was awe struck at just how many different things, established and in development, came from the game’s core and I began to take in as much as I could while moving through the series’ different iterations.

I got into more traditional 2D fighters as a result of drifting away from Smash thanks to a combination of Brawl’s questionable design and poor netcode. As my online community started phasing Brawl out, I found myself looking for something to fill the void Smash games usually occupied on my gaming menu. At that time, Marvel 3 was just beginning to come into range and it looked to give me something approaching the pace and freedom I enjoyed in Smash while also being in a game mold I really had no previous experience with. Shortly after discovering it, the announcement was made that Dante would be playable and I just knew I was going all in on the game. I’m easy like that. :lol

As for other game genres I play, I’m a platformer addict. I think my love for “good movement” comes from this actually. To me, one of the most important things about a game is how it feels when I make a player character run and jump (or generally how it feels when they move). Utilizing movement options in novel ways to bob and weave through packed level design and never gets old for me. Beyond this though, I try to keep a good attitude and try new things whenever the opportunity arises. I’m not terribly picky either but I am a slowpoke when it comes to keeping up with releases.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Marth in the Super Smash Bros. franchise embodies everything that I love and actively seek out when trying to find a “main” in general when it comes to fighting games. He’s a potent character whose full worth comes from the combination of great movement, excellent reaches, and the player’s ability to pick their spots and read people. He’s a versatile character that doesn't demand too much of a person technically but rewards someone putting in that extra bit by becoming exceedingly fluid and precise.

Beyond that, I often find myself gravitated towards jack of all trades who can do a little bit of everything and transition between these states well (Dante & Strider (UMVC3), Hsien Ko (Vampire Saviour), Pit (Project M)) or “nimble brutes” who can dish out explosive punishes while making great use of either movement or options to get results (Viper (UMVC3), Makoto (3S), Fox (Melee/Project M). I’ll also take a second to mention that I love counter characters as well. (Baiken (Guilty Gear))
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
My play style really just depends on the little things. I want to say I’m reactive to my opponent the large majority of the time, but after Marvel and the mentality of “get yours first”, I’ve been learning to start aggressively approaching or establishing my rules before giving another player the time to begin. Beyond that though, I just aim to be as fluid as I can be in transitioning from one style to the next quickly. I lean towards clean optimized things and have been known to “dumb it down” to get the wins even if I can do more or love over the top and thoroughly impractical displays of “that dude knows/loves their character.”

The large majority of my games played with others have taken place online in both Smash and Marvel, so I’m clearly a masochist. :lol

Really, I’d love to find a local event and try my luck there. Even with my growing pile of responsibilities and a transition into being a student once more, I still want to find a group to play casuals with every now and again once my time and budget work themselves out.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I feel like I’m strongest with mobility/spacing, making reads and patience. When I play characters with excellent movement or I jive well with them and become good at getting them from point A to B, I am confident that at any point in a match I can do wild things just on the strength of that alone. It also helps that I’m the type that loves playing the spacing by movement game. When it comes to reads, I feel as though there are times when I can just “tune out” and reach a point where a lot of my opponents just feel terrified. The “psychic” nature of these reads when I’m on the offense has been brought up enough times that I have to recognize it as a real skill I possess. Meanwhile my ability to block an extended sequence of events randomly continues to mystify me, especially when I look back and think about how much should have worked against me. When asked about this, I wish I had something better to tell them sometimes than “I just felt it out.” Lastly, I’d say that I have a good sense for playing things cool. I try not to rush into any commitments unless I know what I stand to gain from them and even while playing typically aggressive characters, I tend to use baits and spacing to get mine more so than throwing all the options at you until you break.

My biggest weakness is probably getting frustrated from hyper offensive pressure. I’m the type of person that is slow to start up and when someone has their aggression down, I pretty much get my body bag put in another body bag while scrambling to put something together. Said frustration begins a slippery slope where I lose confidence in my own ability and self destruct. It’s not pretty but it’s the truth. I’d also say that I take long strings of losses badly. I always have to get that runback, not because I need my one win, but because I always aim for consistency and want to see myself pulling up out of a nose dive. I’d also mention that my patience can sometimes work against me, causing me to be “too respectful” in situations where I really should just walk up and apply fist/sword/gun to forehead.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Seeing my content channel on Youtube pulled up in stream chats for reference on various things Dante in Marvel was a cool feeling. It actually further inspired me to pull the maximum out of a character that was already my favorite to use in the game. Developing and sharing the content while playing with other notable Dante mains also made for some great moments with some new acquaintances.

My worst moment (while not mine personally) would probably be seeing how Brawl stagnated and eventually died out as a game among my friends who were big time Smash fans in general.
What do you want from future fighting games?
I want to see more PC releases, stronger net code and consistent post game support that amounts to more than costume packs or a pat on the back and an I.O.U that goes into effect six years later. After Brawl and Marvel 3, I need this much. :lol
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
I’m going to nominate SolarPowered. He’s a bro.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ Secondary ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters t- Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Really, I’d love to find a local event and try my luck there. Even with my growing pile of responsibilities and a transition into being a student once more, I still want to find a group to play casuals with every now and again once my time and budget work themselves out.

where u at

I love playing cupid

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Haha, people really think he actually did it? It's pretty clear from that gif that he didn't actually do anything.

Aquasilk did the same thing on his stream.

Silky

Banned
we need to dig deeper

for the patch

Haha, people really think he actually did it? It's pretty clear from that gif that he didn't actually do anything.

Aquasilk did the same thing on his stream.

he was feelin that booger after he smacked his lips doe

Azure J

Well that explains how Smug is so filthy in game at least. He's filthy out of it as well! :lol

where u at

I love playing cupid

I'm in Brooklyn. I've reached out a few times and heard about D1's house sessions. Might have to just show up and go through a trial by fire.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
monica is on stream, eatin a got damn booger

i feel like vomiting....

i had to delete the gif, may it never appear again.

Man Enzo wasn't even legal when Viscant won first ever Marvel 3 championship.

wtf?

I'm in Brooklyn. I've reached out a few times and heard about D1's house sessions. Might have to just show up and go through a trial by fire.

Yo Azure, if you want, I can hook you up. PM me if you are interested, my area, which should be close to you, has smash tournaments every thursday (if im not mistaken, ill ask) with around +30 people and they are really good.

Shouta

Is Team Khaos the only stream for NWM?

good looking out fam!

There are like 5 streams, I don't have the URLs they'll be using yet but Canadian Joysticks (Secondary), Logichole (GG, BB, Gundam etc), Manoftheleaf (Tekken, VF5, a few other things probably), and a guy named Mofat (All Smash) will be streaming at the event. TeamKhaos will be the main stream. Basically the same setup as we did last year.

It's one of the big pluses to the venue we're at, ridiculous amount of internet for streaming.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There are like 5 streams, I don't have the URLs they'll be using yet but Canadian Joysticks (Secondary), Logichole (GG, BB, Gundam etc), Manoftheleaf (Tekken, VF5, a few other things probably), and a guy named Mofat (All Smash) will be streaming at the event. TeamKhaos will be the main stream. Basically the same setup as we did last year.

It's one of the big pluses to the venue we're at, ridiculous amount of internet for streaming.

yo shouta, is it alright if i rep neogaf at ECT?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
BTW this is SEGA Cup 2014 top 16

1. RZR.Fuudo
2. RZR.Itazan
3. Rocket
4. Chofu K.K Sarah
5. Shidosha
5. Renzo
7. AyuFanb0y
7. Kamais_Ookin
9. Airegin
9. Chief Flash
9. Ladon
9. Zekiel
13. cobratron
13. Plague
13. Soakrates
13. Wavekrusher Kobi

congrats soakrates for making dat top 16 $$$
shidosha has been working hard, happy to see him place that high
AMAZED flash was sent to losers so quickly
hadn't seen kamais play before, he did great and looked like freddie mercury

El Sabroso

Hey Enzo_gt, I hope you can add to the special events Hypemania 2014, is an event in Mexico and is part of the Capcom Pro tour Ranking the stream is going to be by Team Darksiders from Culiacan, tournament is going to be May 3rd and 4th.

As of known players will there be some from Cali like Snakeeyes, NGL Chris, Velociraptor, Keno and Marq Teddy.

Stream channel : http://www.twitch.tv/team_ds
Schedule: May 3-4
Games: SSFIVAEv2012, KoF XIII, UMvC3 and SSBM as side event.

Top Bottom