• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 9-15

I take back what i said - 2v2 doesn't make this game any more watchable.

It just really depends on the player and atmosphere from a viewer perspective imo. If the players themselves aren't enjoying it chances are we won't either.

Super Arcade made it pretty fun with the player mics, and cutting into player cam after the match though. Pretty fun watching teammates with salty faces and expression. Especially any time Watson/Valle, Ross/Gootecks, and ClakeyD/Marn played.

Tonight should be a good one Floe and Justin finally going to come out. Probably going to be Justin/Floe, Marn/ClakeyD, Watson/Valle, and Snakeeyez/random partner in top 4 (hope he goes with Mike Ross).

BiggNife

Man, this thread is dead. Is Big Two really that boring?

It's not the fault of the players, it's hard for me to get into a SFxT stream because SFxT just isn't that exciting to watch.

I love watching SF and Marvel, and even KOF even though I don't play it. But not SFxT.

sleepykyo

I take back what i said - 2v2 doesn't make this game any more watchable.

From a gameplay perspective, there will never be anything that makes SFxT interesting to the Marvel crowd. No x-factors or even the SF4 vortexes. There simply isn't going to be that one mistake that leads to flashy death. All losses in SFxT come down to the player losing the match.

ismk

It feels like SFxT has a huge learning curb that everyone is still trying to learn how to play properly. Until we don't see the full potential of this game, watching SFxT is going to boring to watch.

I personally hope the community makes some huge strides in figuring out SFxT by EVO or else we are going to UMVC3 and SF4 on stream a lot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It feels like SFxT has a huge learning curb that everyone is still trying to learn how to play properly. Until we don't see the full potential of this game, watching SFxT is going to boring to watch.

I personally hope the community makes some huge strides in figuring out SFxT by EVO or else we are going to UMVC3 and SF4 on stream a lot.
To be honest, I don't think a learning curve has any implication on how well a game fares from a spectating standpoint.

The way the combos look and the fighting system functions is not really conducive to being hype. It's stuck between the ridiculous hype of UMvC3 and the chess-like quality of AE. The balance of tension isn't interesting in the slightest, and a damage boost/health nerf/timer extension won't fix it.

From a gameplay perspective, there will never be anything that makes SFxT to the Marvel crowd. No x-factors or even the SF4 vortexes. There simply isn't going to be that one mistake that leads to flashy death. All losses in SFxT come down to the player losing the match.
Just like in every other fighting game.

EDIT: Did this dude really say he hoped Ono died? SMH.

sleepykyo

To be honest, I don't think a learning curve has any implication on how well a game fares from a spectating standpoint.

The way the combos look and the fighting system functions is not really conducive to being hype. It's stuck between the ridiculous hype of UMvC3 and the chess-like quality of AE. The balance of tension isn't interesting in the slightest, and a damage boost/health nerf/timer extension won't fix it.

Just like in every other fighting game.

EDIT: Did this dude really say he hoped Ono died? SMH.

Yes, take it at the most literal reading. Put it this way, did Justin really play that much worse than Tokido at Final Round or did he get thrown 3 times and lose 3 games? Ditto for Justin losing to Wolfkrone (or practically any match versus Cammy, Yun, Rufus, Ibuki, Akuma and Seth)? Since it is highly improbable and arguably impossible to set up the fatal sequence in SFxT, it does translate into a rather drawn out series of errors that ends up being fatal.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even DragonGod dropped Iron Fist :(

Yes, take it at the most literal reading. Put it this way, did Justin really play that much worse than Tokido at Final Round or did he get thrown 3 times and lose 3 games? Ditto for Justin losing to Wolfkrone (or practically any match versus Cammy, Yun, Rufus, Ibuki, Akuma and Seth)? Since it is highly improbable and arguably impossible to set up the fatal sequence in SFxT, it does translate into a rather drawn out series of errors that ends up being fatal.
You got thrown? Your fault, not the games. I know what your trying to say but it's a bullshit argument. Just because it's high stakes and there are extra dangers to account for doesn't mean results are removed from the player errors that cause them. I understand people not fancying matches that get more tense as they go on, but that's something different. At the end of the day, if you fuck up, you fuck up, and there are no get out of jail free cards.

sleepykyo

Even DragonGod dropped Iron Fist :(

You got thrown? Your fault, not the games. I know what your trying to say but it's a bullshit argument. Just because it's high stakes and there are extra dangers to account for doesn't mean results are removed from the player errors that cause them. I understand people not fancying matches that get more tense as they go on, but that's something different. At the end of the day, if you fuck up, you fuck up, and there are no get out of jail free cards.

Shrugs. I feel like that is actually the case with Marvel, where it just takes one throw into 2 50/50s where that one error is the get out of jail free card.

Or has experience shown that SFxT has more crazy comebacks? NCR was pretty Chris G being made to look free because he couldn't consistently get in while Infiltration did. Even the last second photo finish comebacks are just making sure that the life totals doesn't run away from you.

JWong lost to Tokido because he never took the threat of Phoenix seriously and never developed a solid plan to deal with her. Not only that he never took the threat of Wolverine + drones seriously and couldn't think of a way to beat it without using Tron. That's why Tokido could throw his Wolverine and use up his X Factor without fear, he knows that once J Wong's Wolverine is gone he's finished. Similarly he lost to Wolfkrone because he never took the threat of C Viper seriously, and C Viper is one of Rufus's worst matchup. The whole idea that he deserves to win everytime because he's J Wong is stupid and extremely disrespectful to the guys who worked hard to beat him.

sleepykyo

Shrugs. Fine whatever, SFxT is garbage. All hail, MvC3. Greatest competitive game ever and the perfect embodiment of modern fighting ideals.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shrugs. I feel like that is actually the case with Marvel, where it just takes one throw into 2 50/50s where that one error is the get out of jail free card.

Or has experience shown that SFxT has more crazy comebacks? NCR was pretty Chris G being made to look free because he couldn't consistently get in while Infiltration did. Even the last second photo finish comebacks are just making sure that the life totals doesn't run away from you.
But that's Marvel. I understand people not liking it, wanting longer matches with more meta-strategy, more conservative meter management, etc. You have AE for that, and I believe it's a huge reason why people like and prefer watching AE over Marvel.

I think Marvel will always hold the title for crazy comebacks, for the simple reason that the amount of random shit that can kill you is far greater, so it's a bit more appreciative, especially without X-Factor. Sometimes it's a case of using Force Choke on your opponents, others it's biding your resources when they actually matter (meter, X-Factor) and using them effectively. That's also where a lot of the spectating appeal comes from.

Top Bottom