• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

Sheroking

Unless this is fraudkrone

He was using Hilda, he had her combos down pretty well so far, but once I got him locked down I pretty much had it in the bag. Though that's more of an issue for Hilda in general. His name was Red so I'll just assume he was making people rage quit.

Didn't Wolfkrone kind of have a reputation for rage quitting in SSF4 on XBL?

jbug617

Banned
BuOTYoACAAAsLMw.jpg

@nycfurby: 2 Old 2 Furious: Hypest Fighting is August 22nd! Games: Super Turbo, SFEX2+, CVS2, Alpha 2, and MVC2! Info: http://t.co/kfjNdySy0t

Anne

Merkava's 236C is only punishable if you shield the last hit. If you're hitting a Merkava after it without shielding, that Merkava is either dumb or really brave.

Who's left in RG? Sonic Fox is all I can think of. I know RG had big problems with EVO. Joe Kruty took forever or never got around to paying for EVO flights and hotel. Fox's trip was paid for by winning an online tournament months ago.

Anne

loool even he doesnt know.

so even if I block point blank it's still safe unless I shield the last hit? Wth is up with that super lol

it's true. The fun part is it's invuln only until like the first active frame, so you can force a trade with it or flat out beat it in some cases.

Every time I fuck up a super move motion in Street Fighter I curse the imbeciles who thought it was more important for you to train your fingers to perform specific actions than to be able to read when a move was best to be used, and time it for that window. When my mind and my body compete with each other, I am not having fun.

From the Smash thread, natch

alstein

I'm in my late 30s and I have decided to be OK at fighting games. My only experience is hopelessly mashing buttons when playing SF2 with friends. Time to subscribe to this thread!!!!

I'm in my late 30s. You gotta compensate for slow reflexes, but it's doable.

As for the new KOF, I know exactly what I'd want out of the game, but my fanboy power would probably take over GAF's legendary Marvel patch fanfic thread by myself. I could go on for ten pages and prob get banned for it.

Hopefully we get PC version.

Game may not be "good" but its fun. Primal Rage 2's direction would have been a disaster.

It actually is. They took them out of Marvel/SFxT for a reason.
And I doubt that reason is because they're hard to do. I think it has a lot more to do with the pace of the game. If I had to do double qcf's in mvc2 I think I'd cry.
That was Sirlin's philosophy when he was making HDR, that's why there are shortcuts for Fei long, Guile, Gief, etc's moves. In fact that's his whole philosophy these days, that's why he makes card games now.
I agree up to a certain point. I always thought the inputs for Fei, Cammy, Guile (his super) were all extremely stupid and should be changed. There's just no reason for it.

But you can't make execution too easy, otherwise you have to change a lot of things about the game. Smash works because it's Smash. Inputs like that would not work in most fighting games unless they completely rebuilt the games.

alstein

That was Sirlin's philosophy when he was making HDR, that's why there are shortcuts for Fei long, Guile, Gief, etc's moves. In fact that's his whole philosophy these days, that's why he makes card games now.

Sirlin says execution requirements are needed to an extent, they just shouldn't be stupid.

He gives great praise to SG and Persona (with the exception of all-out attack, where he doesn't like how you have to mash it out) for how they handle commands.

Coda

In my opinion double quarter circles aren't hard at all. It was always the zig zag ultras in SFIV that I could never do.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I am a casual player. I I can do it, anybody can do it. I'm afraid and disappointed to seeing how much more simplified controls are getting for gaming. This doesn't just apply to fighting games. What's the point of even playing games if you want everything handed to you.

I agree up to a certain point. I always thought the inputs for Fei, Cammy, Guile (his super) were all extremely stupid and should be changed. There's just no reason for it.

But you can't make execution too easy, otherwise you have to change a lot of things about the game. Smash works because it's Smash. Inputs like that would not work in most fighting games unless they completely rebuilt the games.

In my opinion double quarter circles aren't hard at all. It was always the zig zag ultras in SFIV that I could never do.

Ironically, zig zag (guile's super for example) in ST are easier to do than in SFIV because you only need to trigger 3 directions to trigger the super, db, df, ub, while it takes 4 in SFIV, db, df, db, up. Of all the shortcuts in SFIV, I have no idea why Capcom didn't give one to charge characters supers.

Sheroking

I am a casual player. I I can do it, anybody can do it. I'm afraid and disappointed to seeing how much more simplified controls are getting for gaming. This doesn't just apply to fighting games. What's the point of even playing games if you want everything handed to you.

Well, casual players in virtually every other genre of games (particularly on console) just pick up games and play them. There's no theory craft or game knowledge or practicing. So when you have those players starting a fighting game, I think they may not consider people who do practice or know the game well "casual players".

Also, I'm not really sure how fighting game controls have gotten easier. We're still using the same motions and input shortcuts we were 14 years ago, pretty much across the board.

Coda

Yeah, I play fighting and action games because I like honing my execution and finally pulling off a combo or link that I couldn't do before. Fighting games need that work and reward feel because they live off of you getting better and learning. Without that fighting games would have no replay value cause to the normal person it's just matches over and over again and it doesn't seem that deep on the surface.

There are definitely times when I'm just not in the mindset for execution heavy games so I'll just play something else when I feel that way.

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't seem to find the list of punishes. I'll check again later.

it's true. The fun part is it's invuln only until like the first active frame, so you can force a trade with it or flat out beat it in some cases.
This clears things up for me on why I've beaten it.

kirblar

Why is UNIEL blowing up? In large part because the game is easy to pick up. Lowering execution requirements doesn't translate to making a "dumber" game.

I still have problems with HCB inputs in BlazBlue and it sucks when characters I want to play have them as command inputs. I don't think you're as casual as you think yourself out to be, especially compared to the fighting game layperson.

Incidentally I don't have any problems with tilt attacks in Smash, but I've also played Melee for way longer than I have any SF-derived fighting game.

I also don't see how simplifying inputs leads to games playing themselves for you. What do you think about autocombos in P4U and UNIEL, for example?

Without execution requirements tons moves would be broken. Many moves have the properties they do because of executional demands.

You should not hide move properties behind dexterity requirements full stop. Using executional demands for things like DPs is fine as long as it doesn't conflict with the first.

Top Bottom